Sony Kv-hr36 Problem?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Another successful repair here!

I ordered two MCZ3001DB chips from eBay - they came with really cheap and nasty sockets so I purchased some better ones with machined pins. The whole job lasted nearly two hours, but I took my time and didn't end up with any extra bits left over!! :P

The Service Manual states to unclip the chassis assembly and rotate it clockwise to the "Service Position". This takes a little bit of unplugging and unclipping of cables, but it was worth it in the end. I didn't intend to lift the TV off the stand and doing this made accessing the underside of the D board so much easier.

So, two chips out, two sockets in, two chips plugged into the sockets, cables back, chassis returned, screws in, power on . . . and . . . picture!! :D:D:D

For $15 including the new sockets, this was well worth it. I figured that if I really stuffed up, then I could pay a Sony repair guy to fix it later. Either way, it was still far cheaper than buying a new TV - especially one of this calibre. This is not a simple task, but I highly recommend it to anyone who has a steady hand and a bit of patience.

Cheers

turkey101

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

My screen suffers intermittent flickering and occasionally loses colour. Turning it off and on returns the picture to normal at least for a while. Any thoughts as to why? I did have the symptom described above fixed due to lightning strike over 18 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've not had the blinking lights issue on my KVHR36, instead after a few hours of operation the screen goes all funky with horizontal lines displaying across it (see photos linked below). This goes away after you turn it off for a while.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5642/photo2lo.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/326/photo1lo.jpg

From what I've read it could be a simple thing to fix (one of the components isn't regulating voltage properly or something), however I'm not sure if it's worth fixing.

It's likely I'm moving overseas in a few months, and obviously can't take this with me. Do people think it would be worth fixing before selling, or am I better off just trying to give it away? From what I understand, even if it worked fine, you still couldn't expect to sell it for much.

I knew it would decline in value like all technology, but surprised that it lost so much value - I mean crappy quality LCD displays will fetch a higher price than these particular CRTs (in some cases much higher). I know they're a pain to move around, but that means you never need worry about it being stolen :). That's what I was thinking at the time or purchase lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a KVHR36m31 (Made in Japan) for sale in Melbourne. It's in absolute pristine condition! Still have the original manual, remote. I currently have this 88kg beast sitting in our spare room doing nothing because we simply do not have the room to keep this TV after we'd moved in.

Bought in 2004 from Myer for almost $6k. I'm asking for $600 including a full HD Set-top box. email me: micksta81@hotmail.com or SMS me on 0434 601 397. I'm located in Mulgrave near Clayton.

A regretful sale but trust me, even Videophiles won't be disappointed! The picture quality is absolutely second to none! Apparently some Video editing studios won't settle for other monitors! Pickup only and you'll need to recruit a couple of guys to lift this baby.

Edited by mickstalim81

Replaced the two IC's & sockets... working a treat now. Giddyup!

+1....my KVHR36 went on the typical 10 flashes blink just before xmas...i ordered the IC and the mount through jaycar and speedy spares and soldered it myself..after 6 years of excellent PQ, no issues and a successful solder i expect another 6years out of it...that being said, i have thought of selling it so seeing there is still a fair bit of interest in this on this forum i will let you know

EDIT: I am also in Melbourne and it cost me a total of $35.80 for the fix...not bad seeing it already cost me $88 for a repair man to tell me it will cost $550 to fix it...beware there are sharks out there!!

Edited by Uncle_Roy

Hi All,

I have a KVHR36m31 (Made in Japan) for sale in Melbourne. It's in absolute pristine condition! Still have the original manual, remote. I currently have this 88kg beast sitting in our spare room doing nothing because we simply do not have the room to keep this TV after we'd moved in.

Bought in 2004 from Myer for almost $6k. I'm asking for $600 including a full HD Set-top box. email me: micksta81@hotmail.com or SMS me on 0434 601 397. I'm located in Mulgrave near Clayton.

A regretful sale but trust me, even Videophiles won't be disappointed! The picture quality is absolutely second to none! Apparently some Video editing studios won't settle for other monitors! Pickup only and you'll need to recruit a couple of guys to lift this baby.

another one for sale here for $500....

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...t&p=1558498

• 4 months later...

I have a KVHR36 that had the 10 blink issue that was fixed under extended warranty a couple of years ago.

It now takes about a dozen goes to turn on and I get 6 blinks followed by a 3 second break. Looking at the service manual it says its a "sub power supply load shorted etc (A board)"

Anyone else had the indicator blink 6 times?

• 3 months later...
I have a KVHR36 that had the 10 blink issue that was fixed under extended warranty a couple of years ago.

It now takes about a dozen goes to turn on and I get 6 blinks followed by a 3 second break. Looking at the service manual it says its a "sub power supply load shorted etc (A board)"

Anyone else had the indicator blink 6 times?

Hi! Chris,

Yes, I have just this morning experienced the onset of my KV-HR36 Self Diagnosis Function. Preventing startup, entering standby mode and repeating 6 blinks spaced at 3 second intervals.

So I only Googled this string this morning looking for answers. At first I thought that the (A board) may have been trigered by the (D boards) unstable MCZ3001D IC's. Or that perhaps both boards have the same MCZ3001D IC's and inherent problems.

But having read the string right through. I could not find the answers I was hoping for. So was about to continue my Google search, when I got to the end, and found your 6 blink post. Prompting me to registered as a member, to contact you and find out what you have learned since Oct.13th.

As this 6 blink has the same effect as the 10 blink IC failure on the A board. ie. a totally disabled HR36.

Surely the members have not left you hanging in limbo without a reply? We all share a love/hate attachment to Sony. Mine started with the 21" Trinitron Multiscan G520 Monitor. Which I am still using on my PC Tower.

Being a 71yo retired ex heavy equipment Fitter I can not afford to spend big money on outrageous TV Mech charges. And even as a ham handed, Dumb Old Fart am prepared to try the D.I.Y. route to try and save a great HR36 TV.

So I have my fingers crossed that you , or others on this Forum. can point me in the right direction.

Bob alias the D.O.F.

Hi DOF,

I had the TV successfully repaired by technician for the cost of approx $150. I don't have full details of the repair as I had given this TV to my parents when I upgraded early last year. It was mainly labour costs as he spent about 3 hours working on it. I believe he replaced a chip and possible soldered some sort of bypass wire. Sorry I don't have much more details.

They are still a very highly regarded TV on DTVforum so unless you are tempted by 50" + plasmas I would look at the repair avenue.

If you are in Sydney PM me and I'll pass on the repairmans details.

From my research on some OS forums, the A board also has the same model suspect chip. Replacing it may not solve the problem, but it is a cheap solution to try! I am waiting on a couple of DB chips from the US to try to fix my D board based 10 blink problem HV-KR32. Funny thing is we had this problem a few years ago and retired the set awaiting funds to repair it, not aware it was a common issue with a (relatively) simple fix. I pulled the set out a month ago and it worked fine and so I invested in a HDFury III to enable 1080i display of HDMI sources, just in time for it to go 'on the blink' once more. Here's hoping the chip fix works as I've got to say this tube has still got a great picture!

• 8 months later...

Well my trusty KVHR36, which has given 6.5 years of great service without missing a beat, has done the dreaded 10 blinks thing.

Was working fine 10 mins before it happened. Went to turn it on again and that was it.

So I have 2 questions for people who've been through this:

1. if I source the replacement parts myself, is it easy to fix if you are handy with a soldering iron but have never worked on a tv before (or even say a crt monitor)? Are the parts easily accessible or do you need to remove the whole casing etc?

2. assuming I don't go through with no.1, can anyone recommend any repairers in Melbourne who can fix this at a reasonable price?

Thanks all.

Well my trusty KVHR36, which has given 6.5 years of great service without missing a beat, has done the dreaded 10 blinks thing.

Was working fine 10 mins before it happened. Went to turn it on again and that was it.

1. if I source the replacement parts myself, is it easy to fix if you are handy with a soldering iron but have never worked on a tv before (or even say a crt monitor)? Are the parts easily accessible or do you need to remove the whole casing etc?

2. assuming I don't go through with no.1, can anyone recommend any repairers in Melbourne who can fix this at a reasonable price?

Thanks all.

Mate be very careful mucking around inside a CRT if you don't know what your doing as there are very large stored charges that can give you a large electric shock. These charges can remain for some time after the unit has been turned off and unplugged...

JSmith :ninja:

Thanks all.

I had the same earlier in the year, did #1 but it is fiddly!

You have to remove the sub-chassis from the set, disconnect a lot of cables and un-loom (if that is a word?) harnesses, then remove the 'D' board from the sub chassis to be able to unsolder / resolder the parts.

If your confident with working on a CRT (31 KV!!!) go for it, otherwise leave it to the expert!

I'm glad I did mine, I hope to get another few years out of it!

Cheers

Rusty

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread here. :twitch: One of my 86cm's (you can't just have one..!.) stopped working with the 10 red flashes. I order new chips from eBay and soldered them on. Was difficult accessing the old ones. and even more difficult actually finding where the D board was, as the service manual is a bit cryptic in my view.

Anyway, I started the TV and I get a picture (the usual blue screen) for about 15 secs then the picture fades and shrinks like a screen saver, then the TV goes into standby mode with the usual 10 red flashes. I'm wondering whether the Fly Back Transformer had died, and that the installation of the chips made no difference.

Now when I soldered the new chips I placed the TV screen face down as for me that was the easiest position for me to desolder the old chips and fit the new ones. I'm wondering if this has contributed to the TV not working following the repair?

Edited by Widescream

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but the KVHR36 which had the 10 blinks problem in Nov 2009 has been been doing an excellent job as the main TV at my Mothers. Some two months ago she had a nearby lightning strike, which seemed to kill her second LCD TV, and her external digital tuner.

Over the past three weeks the KVHR36 started to do the 10 blinks again, eventually so that it would not start.

So I found the two extra chips I had bought in 2009, took the back of the set off, took the old ones out of the sockets, put the new ones in,put the back of the set back on, turned it on, and all is good again.

It is nice when a plan comes together.

My KVHR36 developed the 10 blinks problem, two weeks after we had a 'Brown-out' in a wind storm. I purchased some replacment chips and sockets via Ebay, removed the D board myself, and had the local TV tech, who I trust, solder the sockets to the board. I reinstalled the board today; and very pleasantly, it just worked.

My TV tech had another KVHR in the shop, same problem. seems to be a common fault. I think he was interested in the solution from the forums.

He also told me it cost him $40 each for the chips. Ebay was $6 each with the sockets.

To get the board out, I could not get the C board to wiggle off, so the white wire comes out if you desolder the connection, and the red wire just pulls out and you push it back in to the connecter on the C board.

Just go slowly, take notes and photos, and you can work it out.

I must admit it was a relief when the image came up.

• 1 year later...
I had a friend install sockets and new chips into my KV-HR36M31  a couple of months ago and it worked perfectly....until last night

Last night it went onto standby Mode and is blinking twice

(the original fault had it blinking 10 times which is what led me this topic the first time around and the successful repair)

I've attached snapshots from the to Service Guide showing what 2 Blinks & what 10 blinks mean.

Can anyone offer advice as to whether the "new" fault Code (2 Blinks) is related to the "old" Fault Code (10 Blinks) and it it might be that those chips that have failed again?

I appreciate any help - It's such a beautiful TV when working and I'd hate to have to throw it out

thanks

David

2 Blinks.PNG

10 Blinks.PNG

Edited by anotherdavid

Gee, you still have this beast! But I feel for you. Beautiful TV indeed.

As I recall, there was a coil (voltage regulator?) replaced at the same time the MCZ3001DB chips were replaced in my case. The chips failure was probably due to the deterioration of the conditions of the coil. Anyway. It seems that your current issue is located on the same D board those replaced chips are on. It could be something very simple like a loose wire? Sorry I can't be of any more help to you.