Sign in to follow this  
krohm

Sony Kv-hr36 Problem?

Hiya,

I have a sony KV-HR36 and after recently purchasing and setting up a ps3 it now has a recurring problem where the screen wont display anything when i turn on the television. The sound is on for a few seconds, then that dies and the red light flashes 10 times.

Turning the tv off and on and the procedure repeats itself. I left the tv for 24 hours, turned it back on and it worked. Later that night I ran the ps3 for games then a movie and it was all fine. Although again today the same problem is occurring. Hard to find info on the 10 flashing problem of this television. I have heard though that the earth's magnetic field can affect Sony tv's or heaps of hifi equipment. I have an amp and speakers hooked up to the ps3, changed that setup so the tv was to run the ps3 directly. Worked but then again as I said the problem is reoccurring. Instruction manual was no help. I had a look at http://www.agoraquest.com which is an unaffiliated Sony products website, no help found on the 10 light flashing issue.

I think the tv will work again but obviously the problem is recurring. Considering it did this, then worked after 24 hours, and is now not working again, what kind of problem could this be??

Any advice, thoughts or help would be appreciated. Cheers

Possibly IC 6400 mcz3001 they have been known to cause the issues you describe and can be intermittent for some time before failing completely.

krohm, what mtv said is indeed correct. I had exactly the same issue develop with my KVHR36M31 a month or so back.

You need to purchase some MCZ3001D ICs. I bought three on ebay and it cost me about $20 including postage. I had a quick squiz just then and the same seller doesn't have any available. Most likely only 1 is at fault, however I replaced both on the D-Board on my TV (more-over my Brother-in-law did as he is handy with a soldering iron). My TV now works perfectly.

You will find with yours in the meantime that if you leave the set off for a large period of time it will turn on, however if you turn it off then want to turn it back on it won't work.

If you're at all handy with a soldering iron (the hard part is probably de-soldering the existing chips. You should buy some sockets to house the new chips that you put in, as then if you need to replace them again in the future no soldering will be required.

If you have any further questions flick me a PM.

cheers guys; dont think ill be doing the soldering myself. found out there is a tv guy round the corner, gonna give him a call see how much for the fix you mentioned. shouldnt be more then $100. rather just shell out the cash then attempt my first soldering on this awesome tv :)

cheers guys; dont think ill be doing the soldering myself. found out there is a tv guy round the corner, gonna give him a call see how much for the fix you mentioned. shouldnt be more then $100. rather just shell out the cash then attempt my first soldering on this awesome tv :)

I think it will cost you more than that, largely in labour. A TV repairman who works with Sony's will be familiar with the problem. The size of the set is prohibitive as you know, so moving it will be a bit of a pain to say the least! I guess I mean see if he can come out to look at it. It's not too hard to disconnect the D-board enough so that you can turn it to get better access to the faulty ICs.

I was quoted $270 to do the same on my TV as a call-out (from the authorised Sony Repair place).

Hi, I had exactly the same problem about a week or so ago..

See: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=76088

The service manual can be found here: (it tells you about the 10 blinks)..

http://users.tpg.com.au/jbrogan/

As stated before I don't want to Jinz it but mine seems to have fixed itself?.. I basically just turned it off and on very fast about 200 times over a few days... a mixture of remote on/off and power on/off.. I get a loud thud when it is going to work.. Anyway my 10 red blinks gone and all green.. been working for last few days without any issue...

Called sony repairer and quoted about $600 to replace board..

If breaks again may see if I can get someone in Sydney to put in thee chips suggested above..

Bugger, bugger, bugger... should not have posted my KVHR had fixed itself.. I did jinx it.. woke up this morning and TV would not turn on!

Anyone in Sydney and available to soldier in one of the above IC's?? If so please PM to discuss.

Thanks

Bugger, bugger, bugger... should not have posted my KVHR had fixed itself.. I did jinx it.. woke up this morning and TV would not turn on!

Anyone in Sydney and available to soldier in one of the above IC's?? If so please PM to discuss.

Thanks

In the meantime eggbeater if you only turn your TV on once each day (with a big gap between viewings) you should be ok to use the TV. I used mine like this over a week or so (eg. Turn it on at 7:00PM turn it off at 10:30PM, turn it on at 6:00PM turn it off at 10:00PM, etc etc).

No PM's yet. :( just rang home.. TV still not turning on.. family not happy..

If you know anyone who may be able to solider in the IC's please get them to PM me asap as would like to work something out with them quickly to get TV back up and running..

Thanks

No PM's yet. :( just rang home.. TV still not turning on.. family not happy..

If you know anyone who may be able to solider in the IC's please get them to PM me asap as would like to work something out with them quickly to get TV back up and running..

Thanks

Do you actually have the ICs as yet?

Wow, my login still works! Who would have thought, the service manual I sourced for this board all those years ago would have come in handy. My KVHR36 has just started to produce exactly the same fault code (and symptom) (10 blinks). I've also ordered some of those suspect chips and will give that a go. Thanks for the ebay link to the IC's. I was'nt looking forward to transporting the behometh to the repair shop. Hopefully it is those chips on mine as the SM also indicates the transformer on the same board.

Service manual is pretty generic with regards to troubleshooting the diagnostic lights.

Can't go wrong with changing the ICs though. If it doesn't resolve the problem you've only set yourself back about $20. Chances are it will fix the issue though (as it did with me, and many others from searching online).

Guys, make sure you are buying the improved version, not the one that is prone to go faulty.

-J.

For the record I replaced the faulty apparently 'improved version' (MCZ3001DZs) in my TV with the other/original version (MCZ3001D).

Eggbeater,

I had MCZ3001DB ICs in my TV. They were the ones that failed.

I replaced them with MCZ3001D ICs as I knew they were compatible.

TV has been working fine for several weeks.

Never actualy worked on a CRT before (years of electronics experience though). From someone who has made the chip change-over or similar, did you bother removing the entire D-board or just turn the chasis on the side (as indicated in the SM) and desolder in place? I'm just not confident removing the annode to get the board out if I can avoid it.

Disconnected the d-board from all but the main high voltage connection. Allowing to slide out the boards for better access and then to remove the d-board even further to turn on it's side in order to solder/desolder.

Hope that made sense (it did in my head).

Sorry.. just need to clarify.. about to try to get repaiman to order the replacement chips.. but do I want MCZ3001DB or MCZ3001D? Which was the original ones? and which is the new one? Does it matter?

Thanks everyone..

Thanks will go for the D chips then.. now off to see the repairman..

This seems a very common problem.. anyone had any luck getting Sony to fix as faulty etc? I read Sony Japan was repairing for free..

Just called chip supplier they only have MCZ3001DB (and not MCZ3001D).. they said the searched fo a MCZ3001D goes to MCZ3001DB and therefore thinks the DB replaced the D.. but they were not 100% sure..

What does everyone think? Should I get the DB?

Also FYI the chips (from Melbourne supplier) were $33each + $6.60 delivery.. alot more expensive the ebay?

I think I need to get 2?

Thanks