Sign in to follow this  
wolster

Just how good is Jeff Lynne?

ELO sends me to the back seat of the Holden Premier heading to Portsea listening to 3MP on the way to the back beach with no sun lotion, as I check out the big M girls hanging around the Sandman's, staying all day and pressing the blisters on my shoulders on the way home with a hot breeze coming in the window.

The radio interspersed with some Bee Gees, Kiss and Peter Frampton from the 3" full range mounted on the dash. Whats a subwoofer?

I thought Jeff Lynne's saved George Harrison on the Cloud Nine album. A great listen and precurser to the Wilbury's...

And not one grey hair!!!

This played on the BBC in early Oct. Good to see someone has pirated it onto youtube, as the BBC would not let me play it after they broadcasted it.

Bungalow Palace is Jeff Lynne's house and studio. Great lounge room or what.

Edited by turntable

There's a great ELO article in the current Mojo magazine (the one with The Jam on the cover)

Haven't got to reading it yet, if I read it too quickly it seems like too long to go until the next issue

The late Great Man "The Ghost, Stephen Walker" labelled Jeff Lynne, the "Anti-Christ". Quite funny. 

Although I was quite fond of early Electric Light Orchestra and saw them @ The Barn, Festival Hall in '75 with a grand total of 300 People. The MC announced at the start of the Gig, "I can't believe how many dills there are in Melbourne" in reference to people who didn't go. It was an enjoyable Gig, mainly focusing on the "Eldorado" Album and "Longbeach" highlights. 

I didn't really like Face The Music and when I heard A New World Record I nearly threw up!  One can only wonder what direction Roy Wood would have taken them in instead of the abysmal direction Jeff Lynne did.

Thought the Travelling Wilbury's were pretty Awful.

LOL

Roy Wood would have taken ELO the same place his solo career went -  NOWHERE.

Jeff Lynne took ELO exactly where they wanted to go. Successful and too many great pop songs to name and some wonderful albums.

8 minutes ago, metal beat said:

LOL

Roy Wood would have taken ELO the same place his solo career went -  NOWHERE.

Jeff Lynne took ELO exactly where they wanted to go. Successful and too many great pop songs to name and some wonderful albums.

Nowhere? FYI Roy had a bit of success with Wizzard. LOL!

No give me early Electric Light Orchestra anyday over the Tripe that was served up later. 

Each to his own!

I prefer the early ELO, but still like some of their later stuff. Can't help it I'm afraid, the songs are too catchy!

Roy Wood was great in the early days, had a lot of ideas, and Wizzard was interesting. Seems to me though that he got stuck in a retro 50s and 'wall of sound' kind of rut, which just didn't go anywhere.