Sign in to follow this  
MatF

Panasonic Free Bluray Promo - Availability Of 42" And 50" Pz80a's

I'd been planning on picking up a 42PZ800A some time in the next couple of months, but with this free bluray player promo, I thought I might go with a PZ80A instead. Bugger all difference in the TVs I figure.

Anyway, I wandered into my local Good Guys today to see what price they could give me on a Panasonic 42PZ80A. Apparently they're just about unobtainium, unless the store happens to have some stock on hand. The guy I spoke to had been talking to Panasonic about it today, and although he said he'd be all too happy to sell me one, he doubts he'd be able to get me either a 50" or 42" PZ80A in time to claim the redemption. He had none in-store, and he told me that Panasonic currently have none either! Maybe it's just our region, don't know.

It seems one has to receive the TV before the 5th of April to be eligible for the bluray player. I found this little clanger in the terms and conditions of the promotion:

5. Claimants are responsible for delivery of the Eligible Product and are responsible to ensure that the Eligible Product is delivered within a suitable time frame to allow the Claimant sufficient time to obtain information from the Eligible Product required to submit a claim. The Promoter is not responsible for deliveries of Eligible Products including deliveries that are late, lost or stolen.

Bit disappointing, really. I'll have to trudge around the other stores in town to see if I can find any stock, but otherwise I don't think I'll bother chasing it up any further (I'd rather have one delivered by a local dealer than get one from elsewhere).

Seems to me that the clause above leaves the promo a bit open to abuse, given that delivery timefame is out of the buyer's control (particularly if the store has no stock when you buy it).

Any thoughts?

Another poster bought the 50PZ80A from Myer and was told they have plenty of stock. Their ticket price of $2399 is a good starting point too.

I notice GoodGuys have it advertised for $2359

I have no idea about the TH42PZ80A (haven't checked stock of that in about a month now), but the TH50PZ80A - I checked that less than a week ago at work (Myer) and for NSW stores, there were over 100 units available in the warehouse.

And for those who had the joy (misery) of dealing with Panasonic's last promotion (the bonus Wii) - Panasonic are incredibly strict about you claiming it within the time frame, which means getting it delivered with serial number and claiming within that time frame.

I have to say - Samsung did a much better job with their recent promotion compared to Panasonic.

The only real differnce between to 80Z and 800Z is Intelligent Frame Creation and the number of HDMI inputs. IFC is a bit hit and miss. I turned it off anyway so its no great loss.

I had no issues with the Wii promotion. But a friend who purchased the same TV from the same store a week after me had all sorts of issues with getting Panasonic to acknowledge the claim. They did in the end and she now has her Wii.

I'd go for the 50" rather than the 42. I was looking at a 42 but finnally ended up with the 46PZ800A. If you get the 42 you may be wishing for a larger TV in a few weeks.

I'd be interested in what you pay and where you get it from as a work collegue asked me about it today and is thinking of getting one.

I'd go for the 50" rather than the 42. I was looking at a 42 but finnally ended up with the 46PZ800A. If you get the 42 you may be wishing for a larger TV in a few weeks.

In a few days more like.

It takes about a day to get used to the 50 inch.

Then you wish it was a 60! :rolleyes:

The Pana Wii promotion was ridiculous. They started the promo up and within about 10 days, everyone was out of 800s. Since then, we have always been out of 800s. Those sets would've sold without the Wii units. If you gave me 5 50pz800 units to sell, they'd be gone in about half a week, if that. And I'm not in a big store either.

I reckon 42" is too small and yeah, you will be wishing for the 50", especially on the Full HD. It's only a few hundred $$ diff. If you can fit it, I'd go for it, given the small diff in price. The worst feeling to have after you bought something so big is "oh I wish I spent that extra $300-400 and got the much bigger panel". At least with the 50, you can keep telling yourself that there isn't a bigger PZ80 model.

I have to say - Samsung did a much better job with their recent promotion compared to Panasonic.
Good to see they learnt from their previous one where they got hammered by the media for people waiting months and ending upgrades to keep customers happy
At least with the 50, you can keep telling yourself that there isn't a bigger PZ80 model.
:lol:

You go beyond 50" in plasmas and there is one massive price jump. Not too sure why. Panasonic's the worst - the 58PZ850 is around double the price of the 50PZ850, the 65PZ850 is over 1.5x the 58PZ850.... And good luck getting PZ800s and PZ850s.

With the Samsung promo, I heard of some people getting their blu-rays within 2wks of claiming. They ran out of stock though so I'm still waiting for mine, but at least they're getting more stock in.

The thing with Samsung's bonus bluray was that they were willing to wait until your TV arrives and then let you enter the serial number later, so at least if stock ran out (it was xmas, almost every TV model sold out at various stages), you could still get your bonus as long as you paid in full before the end date.

Panasonic with their bonus Wii was incredibly strict about their 14 day thing, and even sent reminders to the retailers reminding them of the 14 day policy. Add to that the PZ800 and PZ850 going out of stock after about a week as well too. I work at Myer, and head office sent out a communication to pull down the in-store bonus Wii promo material before the end date. Now you know when that happens, something has gone terribly bad. And to cap it all off, Panasonic mentioned in somewhere obscure that the Wiis were being sent out in February. That promo, and then the crap about TV prices rising in Feb, really drove sales for them, especially of the PZ800. A lot of orders were taken, and then Panasonic turned around and said they can't deliver.

Now I haven't checked stock of the TH42PZ80A for a long time, but if it is low/out of stock like people are saying, I wouldn't be too surprised. They make excellent products, but sadly the rest of their business is a circus.

Edited by ShadowSpin

You go beyond 50" in plasmas and there is one massive price jump. Not too sure why. Panasonic's the worst - the 58PZ850 is around double the price of the 50PZ850, the 65PZ850 is over 1.5x the 58PZ850....

I think it comes down to the economics of how many panels they can cut from one sheet of glass

Hello everyone,

I have managed the negotiate with a supplier in SA for the Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80A Plasma screen for $2150 inclusive delivery.

Is this a good buy? I understand that there is a Blueray player promotion for this model by redemption.

Should I consider 800A model? (850A would be my alternative choice but you cannot get these anymore – I have tried many reseller without success).

Should I wait until 2009 model arrived in Australia for newer and more advance electronics?

I have already have a 42" Standard Definition plasma and not really desperate to purchase right away - Blueray promotion and the economical pricing of the PZ80A which made me think about getting this model now.

Any advice will be high appreciated – Thank you everyone.

$2150 is a pretty good price. As for buy now or wait for the new models, the new models will be better but, may be a bit dearer for a little while after release.

From what I've been hearing, the 800A is very hard to get as apparently there aren't many/aren't any coming in. If there were some coming in, I'm guessing retailers would be using it to fill existing orders.

There may be more 850As coming in though.

As far as I'm aware, the PZ80 is supposed to be very similar in PQ to the PZ800 (just IFC, 1 HDMI port and the aesthetics are different). Some people have said that they prefer the PZ800's PQ to the PZ850 (I can't say as I don't have a PZ850 on display so haven't seen it).

And diesel - could be, but the Pana 58" is about $1000 more (at cost price) than the Sammy 58". Heck, the Sammy 63" is cheaper than the Pana 58". The 58" Pana is more expensive than the LX509, and the difference between the 65" Pana and LX609 is only a few hundred $$ (can't remember which way it went though).

$2150 is a pretty good price. As for buy now or wait for the new models, the new models will be better but, may be a bit dearer for a little while after release.

Put it this way mate, $2150 for Pana 50" Full HD is unreal price for what u get. The equivalent in the new range will surely hover around $3k for 6 months at least I would have thought.. I got a pz80a 50 and dont regret it one bit, theres always new models coming out. If you are ready to buy just do it.. Good luck

Put it this way mate, $2150 for Pana 50" Full HD is unreal price for what u get. The equivalent in the new range will surely hover around $3k for 6 months at least I would have thought.. I got a pz80a 50 and dont regret it one bit, theres always new models coming out. If you are ready to buy just do it.. Good luck

Too right.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but in regards to Panasonic plasmas is anyone having dramas with stores filling their orders?

Have a 58" on order (paid in full 04/02/2009) and said to ring them today to arrange delivery. The warehouse manager said they were having trouble filling the orders and wasn't sure when they were coming in. Anyone else in the same boat with any Panasonic plasma, especially after the blu ray promotion and have you heard the same thing?

Thanks

Don't mean to hijack the thread but in regards to Panasonic plasmas is anyone having dramas with stores filling their orders?

Have a 58" on order (paid in full 04/02/2009) and said to ring them today to arrange delivery. The warehouse manager said they were having trouble filling the orders and wasn't sure when they were coming in. Anyone else in the same boat with any Panasonic plasma, especially after the blu ray promotion and have you heard the same thing?

Thanks

I went to myer this week on the gold coast for a quote and the salesman said they had over 60 pz80s in stock. Ended up getting one from HN, i picked it up that afternoon from their warehouse. So no probs there.

the Pana 58" is about $1000 more (at cost price) than the Sammy 58". Heck, the Sammy 63" is cheaper than the Pana 58". The 58" Pana is more expensive than the LX509, and the difference between the 65" Pana and LX609 is only a few hundred $$ (can't remember which way it went though).
I'd pay the extra for a Panasonic over a Sammy.

As for comparing the 58" Panny to a 50" Pioneer and the same for the 65" Panny and 60" Pioneer, you're not comparing comparable quality TVs.

Put it this way mate, $2150 for Pana 50" Full HD is unreal price for what u get. The equivalent in the new range will surely hover around $3k for 6 months at least I would have thought..
I don't think they'll be that much

Have a 58" on order ...

The 800 and 850s are rare as hens teeth ATM, and some say the next shipment is in April! :o

As for comparing the 58" Panny to a 50" Pioneer and the same for the 65" Panny and 60" Pioneer, you're not comparing comparable quality TVs.

Oh they're not the same - I'd take the Pio with it's stunning PQ and 5yrs. But as I said, they're around the same price - the 58 Pana is actually more expensive than the LX509, the 65" Pana is around the same as the LX609. Throw in the 63" Series 7 Sammy at around the LX509 price point (cheaper than the 58 Pana), and aren't you scratching your head at Pana's pricings?

In terms of stock for the PZ80:

I had a look and there are PLENTY of TH42PZ80 and TH50PZ80 units around. Heaps. Stock shouldn't be too much of a problem for this TV and promotion.

You can kiss 800s and 850s goodbye though. If you have an outstanding order, you should look at alternatives in case you're informed that the store cannot deliver. I say that as someone who's had to cancel a few 800 orders so far - it sucks big time.

Well .... seems like my local Good Guys may have been misinformed ... or something (let's go for the benefit of the doubt).

I've ended up buying a 50PZ80A from my local Joyce Mayne this morning. They have 5 in stock and will deliver one on Monday morning, so I should be OK to claim the BD35 in time.

Probably paid more than I could have if I shopped around some more, but I'd rather get one locally (makes it easier if something goes wrong with it). Such is life in a country town :)

As for 42" vs 50" - this TV is really for my dear old Mum. My SO (to be wife next Saturday!) and I are moving into the house we're building in mid-April, and my Mum is going to be living with us in a near-stand-alone granny-flat type thing downstairs. She currently has a 48cm CRT TV and has said she'd be completely happy with a 42", but at the end of the day the $$ difference between the 42" and 50" isn't really that big, so I figured why not.

I'd say Mum will move in around August, so we might use this 50PZ80A upstairs until then and then move it downstairs for her. Should be long enough to convince the minister for finance that 50" might be a bit small for the upstairs living area :D

Edited by MatF

My 50PZ80A should be delivered this morning (yay), but I've just had a look at the registration page for the free Bluray player. It's even more restrictive than I thought!. I thought as long as the TV was delivered before the end of the promotion you'd be able to claim, but this is what the registration page says:

"You must include your serial number, so please ensure your retailer will deliver your TV to you in time to include this number with your claim. Backorder TVs or TVs not supplied within 21 days of the purchase date on the purchase receipt will be ineligible to redeem."

If supply of these models runs short, I can imagine there may be a lot of pissed off people.

Is that the way the Wii promo was set up? Is that the 14 days mentioned earlier in this thread? I wan't really looking to buy back then, so I didn't take any notice.

Edited by MatF

My 50PZ80A should be delivered this morning (yay), but I've just had a look at the registration page for the free Bluray player. It's even more restrictive than I thought!. I thought as long as the TV was delivered before the end of the promotion you'd be able to claim, but this is what the registration page says:

"You must include your serial number, so please ensure your retailer will deliver your TV to you in time to include this number with your claim. Backorder TVs or TVs not supplied within 21 days of the purchase date on the purchase receipt will be ineligible to redeem."

If supply of these models runs short, I can imagine there may be a lot of pissed off people.

Is that the way the Wii promo was set up? Is that the 14 days mentioned earlier in this thread? I wan't really looking to buy back then, so I didn't take any notice.

It pretty much was, except you had 14 instead of 21. And then the PZ800 sold out within the week.....

It's a very restrictive promo that I imagine will put a few people offside with Panasonic

Sent off my claim for the free BD player today. Anyone got theirs yet? If so, how long did it take? And does it come with a HDMI cable? I'm over watching DVDs and can't wait for the blu ray quality.

Cheers.

Sent off my claim for the free BD player today. Anyone got theirs yet? If so, how long did it take? And does it come with a HDMI cable? I'm over watching DVDs and can't wait for the blu ray quality.

Cheers.

the BD-35 does not come with a hdmi cable,grab one from foxtail while your waiting.

ahhh thanks for the advice was wondering if it came with a cable! I did read somewhere that it did but it might have been a promo somewhere some other time.

Sent off for mine today too, hope it ain't as bad as some of the free Wii promo stories I've been reading