News Channel

Does anyone here know why on earth in Australia we can't have a free 24/7 news channel showing australian News like Sky NEws which you have to pay for. Apart from SBS gives you world news 24/7 which is crap, where Australia we need news from Australia. Come on Seven, ABC, and Nine

Borring.

Boring for some

BUT

many other people will love the concept

We do not have foxtel at home

recently on holidays room had foxtel

we spent more time watching sky news than any othert chanell

(apart from kids channelks ofcourse)

Edited by ger

Show me 24 hours a day of 'Australian' news, and I mean actual news. Not padding, not repeated garbage, not overseas import, Australian news.

There's just not enough to do it, it'd be more like a 4 hour production repeated 6 times a day. Do we really need a channel dedicated to that?

Why does it HAVE to be entirely Australian news?

I agree, it could be Australian News and International news from an Australian perspective. All we get when it come to news from over seas is American sensationalism and British stiff upper lip dullness (BBC News) or tabloid garbage (Sky News UK). Only the ABC can provide the News channel we need as they have the resources around the world.

Exactly...ABC4 is slated at this stage to be a news channel...24/7...they just need funding confirmation.

...oh, and bandwidth, because they can't fit it in their existing channel without dumping ABC-HD. Mind you, I'd be more than happy to lose all the HD channels in order to gain extra SD channels.

...oh, and bandwidth, because they can't fit it in their existing channel without dumping ABC-HD. Mind you, I'd be more than happy to lose all the HD channels in order to gain extra SD channels.

Bandwidth - there will be a lot more around than you realise.

Current each network is using two channels

ABC = 2 (analogue) and 12 (digital)

SBS = 28 (analogue) and 29 (digital)

SEVEN = 6 (digital) and 7 (analogue)

NINE = 8 (digital) and 9 (analogue)

TEN = 10 (analogue) and 11 (digital)

Come analogue switch off time (yes, I know that's 2013) it's certainly conceivable that the channels will get to keep both sets of their frequencies for extra bandwidth. There is no suggestion at this stage that the will be doing so, but if a bit of common sense prevails, it would definitely be advantageous. Certainly the ABC and SBS would have a good case for keeping their extra channel.

I could see the ABC not having 2 at all (the lower channels (0, 1, and 2) aren't favoured, particularly for digital), and 3, 4, and 5 correspond to the FM radio band, and have not been used anywhere in Australia since 1991/1992. There is a channel 6A that the ABC might be able to take up if something like this could happen.

Then there will be what they call "Channel A" and "Channel B" - two channels for "other" purposes - you'll see A-PAC, and community television stations take up a slice of Channel A. Channel B is for datacasting. You could see bandwidth temporarily allocated within Channel A until the rest of the spectrum frees up after the analogue switch off.

Yes - some years away, but you've gotta walk before you can run.