Sign in to follow this  
PLANT

Pioneer Pdp-lx509a Best Price

I am considering purchasing the 50" Pioneer, but am wondering which stores in Melbourne have stocks of them and what the average street price is. Will $3900 secure me one of these babies? :ninja:

I am considering purchasing the 50" Pioneer, but am wondering which stores in Melbourne have stocks of them and what the average street price is. Will $3900 secure me one of these babies? :ninja:

Very much doubt it. You need to add around 10% to that to start being semi-realistic.

Its not as if I want something that is unattainable, my 2004 vintage 57” Hitachi CRT RPTV had blacks that a G9 Kuro could not dream of. There was absolutely zero residual glow on screen in a pitch dark room, I could not tell where the screen stopped and the blackness of the room began. With a black screen displayed, like a PC screen saver, the only way to tell that the display was switched on was to look at the power light.

I'm with Owen.

You blokes have to be a bit more critical and objective with your displays. I'm still using my old CRT widey even though I can easily afford a top of the line plasma.

I watched CONTACT last night with all the lights of. When the image was black or had a star field, the black in the picture matched the black 2.35:1 borders, which matched the black case of the TV itself.

What Owen is talking about is objective empircal judgements of a display's capability, not how cool it looks watching a typical action movie. Put on THE MATRIX or BLADE RUNNER in a dark room to give it a real test. ;)

I'm with Owen.

You blokes have to be a bit more critical and objective with your displays. I'm still using my old CRT widey even though I can easily afford a top of the line plasma.

I watched CONTACT last night with all the lights of. When the image was black or had a star field, the black in the picture matched the black 2.35:1 borders, which matched the black case of the TV itself.

What Owen is talking about is objective empircal judgements of a display's capability, not how cool it looks watching a typical action movie. Put on THE MATRIX or BLADE RUNNER in a dark room to give it a real test. ;)

This is getting OT. Might be time for an owner of a 509/609 to start an Owner's Thread if there isn't one...

I am all for improvements and respect your views on wanting better blacks, but there is no way I would prefer to watch my 1080i HD capable Pana 76cm WS CRT in comparison to my LX508 just because it may have slightly blacker blacks. I tried playing my HD-DVD through the Pana once and it was like watching SD since it only has much fewer horizontal lines of resolution.

Properly calibrated, everything else about the 508 is so superior to any CRT even the blacks (which should be even better in the 509/609) aren't bad IMHO ...

Tempestv8... you might get one of these for around $5500. These will sell well and don't see why any retailer should give them away when they just hit the shelves... Just buy one.

Edited by Pfeff

This is getting OT. I am all for improvements but there is no way I would prefer to watch my 1080i capable Pana 76cm WS CRT in comparison to my LX508 just because it may have slightly blacker blacks. I tried playing my HD-DVD through the Pana once and it was like watching SD.

Properly calibrated, the blacks and everything else about the 508 (which should be a little better on the 509) is so superior to any CRT IMHO...

A 76cm direct view CRT like your Panasonic was not in the same class as the modified 57” Hitachi, which was much bigger, higher resolution and could do absolute black, no comparison at all really.

On my current display I have blacks half way between a G8 and a G9 Kuro and that’s so far from good enough it’s not funny, the Hitachi was WAY better for display of dark-night scenes.

I don’t want to buy another display that does not have absolute blacks, so I’m hopping something will come along in the not too distant future.

Edited by Owen

What's the point of this discussion about absolute blacks? Let's get back to reality - discuss what's available, not what some technician with an inferiority complex who keeps pulling out his dick to prove he's better than everyone else wants.

Have people forgotten that watching anything at a cinema is never pure black? The light is being blocked by black pigment on the film, and I doubt it's so perfect as to render pure backs on the big screen.

What are you trying to aim for - a picture that's actually better than cinema? A picture that is so lifelike it can't be discerned from reality? If so, get a life.

Sorry for perpetuating this O.T. but I'd much prefer that this thread go back to discussions that the rest of us can benefit from.

Edited by Dir

What's the point of this discussion about absolute blacks? Let's get back to reality - discuss what's available, not what some technician with an inferiority complex who keeps pulling out his dick to prove he's better than everyone else wants.

Are you aware that your above comments are inappropriate in a public forum. If you find my posts that much of a problem don’t read them, better yet put me on ignore so you won’t ever have to see any of my posts ever again.

Seems this forum has plenty of posts by many people about things we cant buy, so what’s the problem?

As for my “wants” being better then anyone else’s, it seems there are plenty of people here who want the sort of black levels that good CRT systems where capable of, so why pick on me?

If people don’t make a fuss about an issue manufacturers won’t fix it.

Have people forgotten that watching anything at a cinema is never pure black? The light is being blocked by black pigment on the film, and I doubt it's so perfect as to render pure backs on the big screen.

Cinema black levels are poor, it’s a defect and not something people would want to emulate at home.

What are you trying to aim for - a picture that's actually better than cinema?

Absolutely, it’s easy to do and has been for years, if you are not interested that's fine.

A picture that is so lifelike it can't be discerned from reality?

Hardly mate, digital video is a long way from that level.

Edited by Owen

I recently upgraded from the LX508a to LX509a. I have only had the LX509a for a few days, but I thought I would give you a comparison for those thinking about upgrading.

1. Buzz. My previous screens suffered from the dreaded buzz, which was one of the main reasons I upgraded (Pioneer replaced my original LX508a due to buzz, however the second one was exactly the same). The LX509a is much better in this regard. I have only heard the buzzing when watching Blu-Ray on the LX509a (never with DTV or Austar). The LX509a is quiet enough that I am not bothered about the buzz.

2. Blacks. The LX509a has slightly better blacks. While they are better, I am not sure they are worth upgrading for. When watching a movie in the dark, the screen is not perfectly black, however it is still the best flat screen I have seen in regards to black levels.

3. Dirty Screen - I think this is what you call it. The LX508a had horizontal lines when the screen was either white or a very light colour. I mainly notice this with sport, e.g. golf when the ball is in the air. The LX509a has fixed this problem. This fix along with the reduced buzz makes upgrading for me worth it.

4. The overall image appears cleaner, with smoother movement. When watching BR with the LX508a, occasionally the image was grainy. I haven't noticed this on the LX509a yet.

5. The DTV tuner now has an EPG. Changing channels on the LX509a is much quicker than the LX508a. It still isn't as quick as Panasonic, but it is quick enough not to annoy me anymore.

6. The screen appears slightly brighter.

Overall I am pleased with the upgrade. The LX509a is definitely a better screen than the LX508a. It is not until you get the screen home that you notice the differences to Panasonic etc. In the store it is hard to pick the differeneces between a Pioneer and Pana. I have a Pana in the bedroom and I definitely prefer the image of the Pioneer.

I hope this helps.

i was in myer on the weekend and they had the C509 set up next to the LX509, first time i've seen the 2 side by side.

you could definitely see the contrast difference between the 2, which should be a good indication of the comparison Braddles made between the 2, although the C509 is suppose to be LX508 panel with 509 internals??. Braddles, did you have them set up side by side at any point?

the golf was playing, just SD, nothing HD. the picture quality on both was very similar, in terms of scaling, image handling etc. even brightness I could not see a huge difference in. but the blacks were obvious. the grey circle for channel 10, i think it was 10, logo looked a darker gray on the LX. The little information menu that popped up with the hole and par info was black with yellow or white writing. (wasn't payign attention to the writing). but you could see the black on the LX was much blacker than the C509. like it really made the C509 look quite weak for it's $4999 price tag i thought, I would pick a panasonic over it seeing you aren't getting the best tv.

i would be convinced that the 509 is most likely worth an upgrade to if you are over your 508 and have the cash, or the 609 so you get more screen size as well.

Dir

That really wasnt necessary Dude

half of us would be up sh*t creek without a paddle were it not for clued up members like Owen

On a lighter note if any LX 508 owners need help getting rid of the red push on the LX 508 via the service menu , i highly recommend it (send me a PM)

JBHifi in Doncaster have the 50" Kuro ticketed at $4998 at the moment, with a 10% sale, so sale price is $4498 with this sale on.

Anyone do better than that?

that will be the C509 with the speaker attached at the bottom, not the LX509 which has speakers attached to the side.

the C509 has been 4999 ish everywhere i've seen this and wouldn't be uncommon to see one with 10% or higher around with sales that pop up.

i would try to stay clear of that one as I would imagine it's not much better than an LX508, seeing they use same glass, which were going for much cheaper near the end of life.

the best ive seen in stores was 5999 for LX508, digital center has for aroudn 5499, im sure somewhere may do a 20% sale at somepoint bringing it down 4800 or such.

BPP have them for $5499 at the moment and $4499 for the C

Edited by crumpet

BPP have them for $5499 at the moment and $4499 for the C

I’ve just bought lx509 for $4999.00 incl delivery, installation and hdmi cable from Myer Sydney CBD. :D :D :D :D :D

That's not a bad price at all. What was the price of just the plasma?

I’ve just bought lx509 for $4999.00 incl delivery, installation and hdmi cable from Myer Sydney CBD. :D :D :D :D :D

$4999 - It was a package deal.

Correct me if I am wrong but, according to the MYER catalogue the C509 is $4999 not the upper spec LX509A which is listed as $5,999.

Can you confirm that you got the better spec model for the lower model's price?

Cheers.

Correct me if I am wrong but, according to the MYER catalogue the C509 is $4999 not the upper spec LX509A which is listed as $5,999.

Can you confirm that you got the better spec model for the lower model's price?

Cheers.

No error here. It is lx509a, and the price I paid was $4999.

No error here. It is lx509a, and the price I paid was $4999.

Hello Raven01,

That is a great buy - I am wondering if you can post your receipt here - I will try to see if I can get Myer in Adelaide to price match.

Thank you.

Hello Raven01,

That is a great buy - I am wondering if you can post your receipt here - I will try to see if I can get Myer in Adelaide to price match.

Thank you.

No problem. Email me your email address and I will scan it for you.

Cheers.

Hi Raven.

Well done as that price is certainly an impressive one for an impressive Plamsa.

Would you also be kind enough email me the receipt as I will be in Sydney on the 18th so, I'll be hunting down every Myer store I can find to try and get a similar deal to yours.

GTAHH@hotmail.com

I was considering the 58" Z850 Pana but, I just couldnt live knowing the Pioneer was the better of the 2...

Picked up my 509 for $5000 at Myer Doncaster - sales person said there were only three left in their warehouse. Was also offered free installation. As part of the deal he also gave me an 8g ipod touch for $290 - Pretty good me think!

No problem. Email me your email address and I will scan it for you.

Cheers.

I am sorry to bother you Raven01 - every time I tried to email you - I get an error message "you do not have permission to use the messenger within this forum...."

Is there another way I can email you? thanks.

Hi JJay.

Nice to hear you also got a great price...Would you have the receipt handy to email to me and Tuan?

I am sorry to bother you Raven01 - every time I tried to email you - I get an error message "you do not have permission to use the messenger within this forum...."

Is there another way I can email you? thanks.

Tuan; you need 5 post on the forum to activate your email account. Otherwise, put your email address in the reply.

Cheers.