Pioneer Pdp-lx509a Best Price

Hey Rob,

One question - are you sure that the 509C is an 9th gen panel?

My Pio rep told me it is a 508 panel (hence the lower contrast), with 509 electronics (tuner, processor, gui) minus a few bits, like ethernet, usb, home media gallery.

508 - 8th gen

509 - 9th gen

I imagine he is pretty sure.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

508 - 8th gen

509 - 9th gen

I imagine he is pretty sure.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree that 509 = 9th gen tv, but does that mean it has the same panel as the LX509?

My thoughts:

The LX509 is $1000 more.

What do you get for the money?

2 years more warranty, USB, ethernet and home gallery.

Hardly seems worth the extra money.

If it is the same panel, why is the PQ and contrast so lower.

The Pio website talks about the electronics almost word for word for both the LX and C models.

What makes it the entry level model?

That said, I am yet to find anywhere credible on the net confirming either way.

So anyone other than Crumpet got a lower price on these antiques?

As I have had no responses is anyone buying these?

Makes you wonder if the price is too high?

ive only just stumbled across this subject recently and i must say....you can ask a retailer to sell it to you for $2500 but u really should be asking them to throw in there job aswell lol thats the only way you would get that price...the cost on those it way above $2500....your shopping for a pioneer on a samsung budget. im not trying to be rude but your not battling if you have $2500 to blow on a tv, why not wait for rudd to fork out his $950 and maybe save a little more.....i have seen the new 509's and i think there a great tv for the person who likes to have what others cant afford, its a mixture of picture quality, longevity and robustness plus the fact that its not a highly purchased item....its a premium item....if i bought a sports car and found that everyone could get one i wouldnt see the need to drive a sports car..it takes the uniquesness out of having a luxury item that not many poeple have......stick to a panaonic and get a bonus blu-ray player......

but you wont get that price unfortunately plant, its just not ganna happen

ive only just stumbled across this subject recently and i must say....you can ask a retailer to sell it to you for $2500 but u really should be asking them to throw in there job aswell lol thats the only way you would get that price...the cost on those it way above $2500....your shopping for a pioneer on a samsung budget. im not trying to be rude but your not battling if you have $2500 to blow on a tv, why not wait for rudd to fork out his $950 and maybe save a little more.....i have seen the new 509's and i think there a great tv for the person who likes to have what others cant afford, its a mixture of picture quality, longevity and robustness plus the fact that its not a highly purchased item....its a premium item....if i bought a sports car and found that everyone could get one i wouldnt see the need to drive a sports car..it takes the uniquesness out of having a luxury item that not many poeple have......stick to a panaonic and get a bonus blu-ray player......

but you wont get that price unfortunately plant, its just not ganna happen

mate, plants post are a waste of space (which is a big statement considering this is the internet after all). treat them with the respect it deserves.

prices anyone???

Pioneer are cheating with the Lx509, the contrast ratio is nothing like 100,000:1, that’s total BS. The LX509 panel will turn of completely will an all black video input so that on-off contrast tests will show effectively unlimited contrast. If even one pixel needs to be on the panel must turn on and you are left with the normal pixel idle luminance which is not black. They are however better then the G8 which was good for about 9000:1 in real world tests.

Pioneer are cheating with the Lx509, the contrast ratio is nothing like 100,000:1, that’s total BS. The LX509 panel will turn of completely will an all black video input so that on-off contrast tests will show effectively unlimited contrast. If even one pixel needs to be on the panel must turn on and you are left with the normal pixel idle luminance which is not black. They are however better then the G8 which was good for about 9000:1 in real world tests.

Got a link to these 9000:1 real world tests? I've owned both and I can tell you the 8th gen Kuro far exceeds the SXRD Sony's. They're good sets no doubt, but aren't in the same contrast league.

Got a link to these 9000:1 real world tests? I've owned both and I can tell you the 8th gen Kuro far exceeds the SXRD Sony's. They're good sets no doubt, but aren't in the same contrast league.

What has a Sony TV got to do with this thread? :wacko:

You can set up the Sony to have a lower black level then a G8, but it wont have the same contrast ratio in a single frame becuase native contrast is lower. (5,000:1 native and 15,000:1 dynamic.)

Pioneer G8 tests;

http://hometheatermag.com/plasmadisplays/1...010/index5.html

and

http://hometheatermag.com/plasmadisplays/907kuro/index3.html

Edited by Owen

So anyone other than Crumpet got a lower price on these antiques?

As I have had no responses is anyone buying these?

Makes you wonder if the price is too high?

Given the way that the LX509's are being snapped up, I would say YES, people are buying them.

NO - the price is not too high. It is a premium price for a premium product.

I ordered mine today :)

Thanks for your reply.

I agree that 509 = 9th gen tv, but does that mean it has the same panel as the LX509?

My thoughts:

The LX509 is $1000 more.

What do you get for the money?

2 years more warranty, USB, ethernet and home gallery.

Hardly seems worth the extra money.

If it is the same panel, why is the PQ and contrast so lower.

The Pio website talks about the electronics almost word for word for both the LX and C models.

What makes it the entry level model?

That said, I am yet to find anywhere credible on the net confirming either way.

plus 5 x darker blacks....side by side the 509 models look alot different...i would fork out the extra to get the kuro black screen....i looked at the 590c and thought it was a pana lol

yeah but it also depends on how you view a black. if it's a full black screen in a dark room, yes you will notice it plain as day until the panel shuts off light output, which is kind of a useless feature as there is a time delay for it switching off,if it was instant the feature would be excellent.

but i've always found with the pioneers that on a full screen picture the blacks they produce are what i would consider a true black, as the overall brightness of the panels other colour offsets the 0.001ftl of brightness the black produces to make it appear black. the same can be said for letterbox widescreen movies. yes if you stare at the black bars you can see the light in them, but if you watch the movie you notice the black bars disappear much more so than any other flat panel can produce as your eyes tend to focus on the bright colour of the picture, not the black bars. i would say 99% of people get this effect when watching, except Owen :P

i would like to see a 0ftl black panel vs the current pioneers just to see if the situations i mentioned above show a huge difference or just a small improvement.

Plenty of displays have blacks that look black when a normal or bright scene is on screen or with the lights on, even cheap LCD’s , the brighter the screen the more this applies. Hell even a white projection screen can show what appears to be blacks without a dark room if you have a very bright projector.

For a “cinema experience” you need to be viewing in the dark, in this environment you have to drop light output way down to avoid eye strain, therefore bright scenes are not very bright and dark-night scenes are VERY dark. If blacks are not really black in this situation its all over for picture quality, a shade of grey really does not cut it.

If you have never experienced such a setup its difficult to appreciate the difference it makes, I have and I miss the experience. It looks like it will be years before a digital display will be able to achieve it.

Edited by Owen

Its not as if I want something that is unattainable, my 2004 vintage 57” Hitachi CRT RPTV had blacks that a G9 Kuro could not dream of. There was absolutely zero residual glow on screen in a pitch dark room, I could not tell where the screen stopped and the blackness of the room began. With a black screen displayed, like a PC screen saver, the only way to tell that the display was switched on was to look at the power light.

I vividly remember the opening scene of “Final Fantasy” on the Hitachi, wispy shapes floating in the centre of black nothingness, it looked like a hologram and I felt I could reach into the screen and touch the object, truly 3 dimensional and not at all like watching video, this looked real. Give me that kind of black level on a 70” plus digital and I will pay big money for it, but the likelihood of anything suitable becoming available any time soon is very low. The rumoured 80” G10 Kuro would have been a likely candidate, but that’s dead now.