Southern Cross Ten Drop The Ball...again

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WIN is ok with their movies. At least they will do 5.1. Underbelly was in 5.1 for the first episode but hasn't been for the last two. Its a bit hit and miss with WIN but still the best for us regional viewers. Prime HD will show different programming than the SD channel which is quite good on weekends when there is nothing much on.

I wonder what this means for sport on SC10?

Presumably all major events (F1, selected AFL etc) should be shown on the standard SC10 for a while (as well as regular channel Ten) until they cut of the analogue feed... unless they use different programming on Ten Digital to Ten Analogue (can't see that happening).

All I want is live F1... looks like I'll be watching on the net all year again :)

I wonder what this means for sport on SC10? Presumably all major events (F1, selected AFL etc) should be shown on the standard SC10 for a while (as well as regular channel Ten) until they cut of the analogue feed... unless they use different programming on Ten Digital to Ten Analogue (can't see that happening). All I want is live F1... looks like I'll be watching on the net all year again :)

What's on TEN Digital "must" be simulcast on their analogue channel until analogue is switched off.

Quite unlikely. And definitely not for the big events. If there's a significant shortfall of upgrades soon before the cutoff, the squealing that happens will probably force the government to help out. The channels won't be forced to hand over money to help; in fact, they'd likely benefit if anything, by having an extension on the cutoff.

Two complicating factors:

1. The upgrades will probably happen faster in the cities, and if Ten does drop a few sporting broadcasts from their analogue / SD channel, what will Southern Cross do about it? Of course this won't affect any important sporting events on the anti-hoarding list.

2. The analogue transmitters actually cost a fair bit of money to keep running. So, like most businesses, they'd probably just go along with the certainty of a deadline ... as is now being seen in the USA, where most stations are going ahead with the old deadline instead of the new extended one.

CK.

I wonder what this means for sport on SC10?

Presumably all major events (F1, selected AFL etc) should be shown on the standard SC10 for a while (as well as regular channel Ten) until they cut of the analogue feed... unless they use different programming on Ten Digital to Ten Analogue (can't see that happening).

All I want is live F1... looks like I'll be watching on the net all year again :)

I want F1 live too, but because the BCC is handling the F1 now not ITV, their feeds are completely secure and no one outside Britain will be able to view them. So no F1 on the web either.

If we dont get One, we most likely wont get any F1 at all. Nice job Ten.

I want F1 live too, but because the BCC is handling the F1 now not ITV, their feeds are completely secure and no one outside Britain will be able to view them. So no F1 on the web either.

If we dont get One, we most likely wont get any F1 at all. Nice job Ten.

I don't think Ten should be held resposible for Southern Cross failing to deliver to its customers. I think Ten will still show F1 on the regular channel, but it won't be live like it would be on One HD. Much like last year.

ACMA won't care until SC10 is unable to make it's quota of 1040 hours of HD.

SC10 turned off all their broadcasts on the HD channel, we simply get a loop 24/7 now.

I may investigate lodging a complaint with the broadcasting tribunal, because the loop surely does not count towards quota.

I think the 1040 hours is per year, and since it is only the start of the year, SC10 have plenty of time to reach the quota and leave us with the loop for many months to come. Something really needs to be done about the treatment of regional viewers. I think its pretty obvious that nothing is being done by Southern Cross Ten, yet there seems to be nothing the viewers can do about it. There should be laws put in place that guarantee that the majority of both SD and HD programming in Metro areas are also shown in regional areas. It doesn't have to be 100%, but anything beats the 0% we currently get from Southern Cross.

I think the 1040 hours is per year, and since it is only the start of the year, SC10 have plenty of time to reach the quota and leave us with the loop for many months to come. Something really needs to be done about the treatment of regional viewers. I think its pretty obvious that nothing is being done by Southern Cross Ten, yet there seems to be nothing the viewers can do about it. There should be laws put in place that guarantee that the majority of both SD and HD programming in Metro areas are also shown in regional areas. It doesn't have to be 100%, but anything beats the 0% we currently get from Southern Cross.

If & when they start showing OneHD on SC10 it would only take 45 days of 24hr sport to rack up the quota, so They could in theory wait til Nov & still get the quota filled :angry2:<_<

Before xmas & most of the latter part of 08 we used to get : David & Kim, Neighbours, NCIS, Rove, GNW, Letterman, House on SC10 HD every week every episode. Now ZERO!

Edited by MrMan

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_100034

Looking at 2007, SCTen were skimming pretty close to it ... I mean, only 50% above minimum.

So bad news is, by killing off HD in January, SCTen is going to find it pretty hard to stay legal this year!

But the good news is, they'll *have* to finish installing their HD equipment this time. We've heard it over and over since 2005.

Hmmm, I'm surprised that the amount of HD in network terms, goes Seven > Nine > Ten (no pun intended). I thought Ten had more than that. In any case it seems that breakaway content (when native HD) can't be counted ... which is an odd thing for the legislation to do.

The other odd little thing is that "remote" broadcasters aren't allowed to have HD breakaways at all. Not that I think there's much DVB-T going on there at all, either.

CK.

I think the odds are stacked against us unfortunately. Thanks to this "loophole" and SC10s reluctance to do anything with their HD, essentially this means we:

a ) Shouldn't expect anything but a demo loop until November.

or

b ) Should expect the odd OneHD program to be broadcast on SC10HD every now and then, just enough to keep themselves within the law. Just like what SC10 did with 10HD.

Edited by hingo