Aldi Vivid Dvd Player With Hdmi Output

I grabbed one of those today. I also got a sub $20 HDMI cable from Kmart. Maybe my expectation are low but I think the 1080p output looks great. The DVD drive is smooth and quiet and the PQ over HDMI is very good. I still have to test the USB port but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

PS: Still looking for the OEM of the player and a hack.

like pretty much every player on the market, no surprises really, is this your first DVD player?

No but I'm not from here. :) Every player I bought in Germany and the UK was region locked. Also the last two players from Aldi Australia were region locked.

No but I'm not from here. :) Every player I bought in Germany and the UK was region locked. Also the last two players from Aldi Australia were region locked.

ok, understand, even if you had prior models that were preset to region 4 there would be a remote code to set them region free, not something the staff there often know about though

ok, understand, even if you had prior models that were preset to region 4 there would be a remote code to set them region free, not something the staff there often know about though

I never bought one of those Chinese Aldi models before. I know about those codes but for some models it's quite hard to get them or it takes some time to appear on the internet. I never found one for the JVC N670 for example.

I am a newbie to the site and tried to post a new topic but it wont allow me. Unable to contact forum administrator cos I dont have outlook on this computer.

Hope you dont mind if I ask my question here. I got a new Plasma= Panasonic Vierra 50Pz800a and want to buy a DVD player. We watch lots of DVD's from overseas ( yes!) and would appreciate your thoughts on Panasonic S53 which is rrp at Myer at $179.

I heard Pioneer is great too? Model?

Thanks

Razzy

I am a newbie to the site and tried to post a new topic but it wont allow me. Unable to contact forum administrator cos I dont have outlook on this computer.

Hope you dont mind if I ask my question here. I got a new Plasma= Panasonic Vierra 50Pz800a and want to buy a DVD player. We watch lots of DVD's from overseas ( yes!) and would appreciate your thoughts on Panasonic S53 which is rrp at Myer at $179.

Thanks

Razzy

I thought about the Panasonic S53 myself because it's a great player over HDMI. It can output 576i/480i over HDMI and it can read DVD-RAM. My first DVD player 8 years ago was a Panasonic and I was prety happy with it. But I'm not sure about the region code here. The Pioneer V410 can be made region code free but I think you need to flash it with a cracked firmware (at least the US and the EU model).

Edited by ageha

Thanks

Razzy

You should also consider the XD-E500.

http://www.toshiba.com.au/

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1202279

Cheers

Struggo

Edited by Struggo

Thanks to you both for the replies. Thanks for the link too. Still reading it. Need to do lots of reading... theres a world out there I need to learn about.

WHat prices has anyone seen/paid for Panasonic S53?

The cheapest I saw was $180.

Edited by ageha

Grabbed one today to use in the kids room.

It is now playing a Heroes Xvid via the USB port :P

The disc tray only comes out 60% of the way. :angry:

Cheers

Struggo

I would say 80% but all players with those super thin trays are that way. That's the design.

Edited by ageha

I bought one of the Vivid players from Aldi yesterday, but I'll be taking it back today. It would only recognise a couple of my assorted USB devices (yes, all formatted as FAT32), it doesn't play back anamorphically encoded XviD avi's in the correct aspect ratio, and it pauses frequently.

I bought one of the Vivid players from Aldi yesterday, but I'll be taking it back today. It would only recognise a couple of my assorted USB devices (yes, all formatted as FAT32), it doesn't play back anamorphically encoded XviD avi's in the correct aspect ratio, and it pauses frequently.

No pausing or skipping here so far.

You tried to re-format your devices?

No pausing or skipping here so far.

You tried to re-format your devices?

The same USB devices and files work and play fine on a couple of other devices that I have. Maybe the particular Vivid that I have is a dud unit, but unless I can test another one in the store, I'm giving up.

And yes, one of the drives was freshly formatted.

• 6 months later...
Guest Gizmomelb

digging up this old thread.

did anyone else buy one of these and did you ever find any firmware updates for it please? my missus' main complaint is it doesn't bookmark videos so she can't continue watching from where she was up to etc.

did anyone else buy one of these and did you ever find any firmware updates for it please? my missus' main complaint is it doesn't bookmark videos so she can't continue watching from where she was up to etc.

Haven't seen this model but in many players the bookmark feature is enabled/disabled in the setup menu, have you had a look through the various options to see if there is anything there?