Panasonic Th-50pz80a Owners Thread

Bundall?

that's a good price. they were 1950 on boxing day when i went in but now prices are all up, and 2105 seems a very good price.

funny about myer, there is an older guy there, not the old guy in his 60s, but id say late 40s, has a moe, hair combed down flat, is always there. that guy is a prick. ive have seen him get this anger towards customers that ask him simple questions "what! am i suppose to know this.." and i heard him waffle some bullshit before i moved over here when i went into myer a few years back.

be ware of him haha

my mate has just got the PZ80 and its a nice set, picture seems good, his only complaint after having it a week is the tv tuner is not as good as the one he had in his LG and the picture drops out quite considerably. not sure if there is a way to improve it, but that seems to be the only thing at this stage.

Yes. Bundall. Pretty good deal.

Funny you should mention the tuner. i previously has an el cheapo dvb box and that picked up all the channels pretty sweet. When i tuned the 80a, there was no channel 10. I was considerably peeved. But when i turned on the tv the following morning, it gave me a messsage that new dvb services found. It then tuned in channel 10. No problems now.

Edited by jarrad81

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys...was playing around with the settings last night and came across 'overscan' - just wondering whether it's better on or off. When switched off I can see some short white lines at the very top left of the screen - when switched on these do disappear - but I did notice that it mainly appears in commercials - was watching Miami CSI and it didn't appear whilst that program was on - I kept switching between on and off to see any difference in picture quality before my wife started to yell at me - to me it appears leaving it off has better picture quality - any thoughts?

Myer have 2 years interest free going at the moment, One of the sales guys told me there was going to be 15% off TV's this week at Pac Fair Myer store only... Would be a great price with 2 years interest free! I think the no deposit is 18 months, but I know with my PC purchase the sales guy did 2 years with no deposit, no repayments...

Got a friend who bought one of these and after auto tuning he can only get the ABC and SBS but not 7,9,&10.

Any ideas?

Does he have any other DVB equipped gear? How did they tune in the channels? OK?

Has he tried swapping the antenna flylead and trying just the TV connected to the antenna...no other device(s)?

Hi Guys,

I just purchased one of these plasmas and it should be delivered in the next couple of days. I want to order some HDMI cables online as I am going to wall mount it. Does this panel require any 90 degree connectors?

Do the cables plug in from the bottom or from the back?

They go straight in from the back i.e. plug pointing forwards towards the front of the TV.

Thanks for that. are the ports recessed so you can plug the cables in and then bend them down or will you need to buy 90 degree adaptors for all the cables if I want to wall mount it?

Bit hard to say.

They are recessed, but only by about 2cm or so. It depends on what HDMI cables you get (some have longer plugs than others), and what wall mount you're using (some hold the TV further out from the wall than others).

Also depends on where the cables are going to go from the TV - where the holes in the wall will be relative to the ports, or whether the cables will go down on the outside of the wall.

Edited by MatF

MatF has answered that pretty well. I would only add that even the lowest profile wallmount, there should be enough room for a straight connection, but if it's too tight, Dick Smith's sell a 900 HDMI elbow for $10

Pricing seems to vary around the place. I have a contact at JB's in Victoria who told me the best (close to cost) price is $2400 yet I got one for $2250 from HN on the weekend just walking off the street. Perhaps JB's cost price is actually lower that what they tell their salesman. The salesman at HN told me that $2250 was very close to their cost.

Which store Glen? Can you share the receipt? Thanks

Bought the pz80a this arternoon from HN. Showed the salesman milkwoods reciept for $2105. matched it no problems. great panel. could'nt be happier. i will send off the blu ray redemption tomorrow.

Which HN Jarrad? Can you share the receipt? Thanks

I live in an area receiving both Bendigo and Ballarat signals however Bendigo is much stronger. My TV picks up Bendigo by default for all channels except WIN which is very weak from Ballarat. If I go into manual tune and go to 711.5mhz I get the Bendigo WIN signal but how to I save it as the default WIN? The TV keeps reverting to Ballarat.

I live in an area receiving both Bendigo and Ballarat signals however Bendigo is much stronger. My TV picks up Bendigo by default for all channels except WIN which is very weak from Ballarat. If I go into manual tune and go to 711.5mhz I get the Bendigo WIN signal but how to I save it as the default WIN? The TV keeps reverting to Ballarat.

I've had similar problems where I live in Tasmania, I live on a hill and get good reception from the main transmitter in Launceston and about the same level from my local (much lower power) transmitter in Ulverstone. I get every channel quite well locally except WIN (strange as I have line of sight to the transmitter!), so I had the same trouble as you (when I did a manual tune it still kept going back to the local transmitter). I resolved this by returning to shipping condition from the setup menu (erases all stored channels), and manually tuning all the required stations. I have found that even if I do an automatic scan now it keeps the stations I manually tuned!

Hope this helps. I have a th-46pz800a, but i asume the tuning and setup menus are the same or similar.

Picked up this panel a couple of days ago, generally very impressed. I'm wondering is some of the more experienced 50pz80a users could help me out with a couple of issues.

When comparing both the pz80a and pz800a side by side on panasonics web site I noticed this comment under the pz80a's abilities.

Picture Quality Improvement Functions :

24p Film Playback, Digital Optimiser, 3D Comb Filter, Sub Pixel Control, Motion Pattern Noise Reduction, C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System), Video Noise Reduction, Picture Noise Reduction.

How can I select 24fps mode on the panel, is it automatic? If so how can I view the signal information on the panel. I've read through the manual but can find any information regarding the 24fps playback.

I'm noticing a flicker affect during video and pc use (pretty much un-noticeable when playing video games) what settings do you guys use to control the 'flicker'?

Also the panel wont display 1080p over VGA, does anyone from this site have a pc connected via VGA @ 1920x1080?

http://panasonic.com.au/products/compare.cfm?objectID=15