Panasonic Th-50pz80a Owners Thread

Very keen about getting this TV or even the 42 inch version.. Anyone bought one in Adelaide? the price im getting seems to be $2500 with normal warranty. Sounds like you Eastern Aussies are getting better deals?? The 42 inch version only $1998 at Denis White which is very tempting with free BD 35

Edited by flavzz

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my workmate recently bought 50pg70, i told him really that he should have got a panasonic for the price as really the best picture is pioneer, but 2nd after that is panasonic with the 11th gen panels.

he just laughed and said in the stores the lg is better, it looks better, couldn't convince him otherwise. and i know seeing the lgs in store they usually look pretty good.

the lg turned up, had an image burn in it, he was dark, tried to get a replacement but was told stock was sold out, so they decided to swap it for a pz80. he was worried about it, having less hdmi, not as nice cosmetic etc.

i told him to chill, the picture will be better and he will forget about the other things.

he called me just before saying it arrived and that yes i was right, him and his partner saw straight away the picture quality was much better, and they really noticed the blacks being a very black compared to pg70.

i want to go and check it out, as ive never seen any of these plasmas in someones home under normal viewing conditions, and it may pursuade me to go out and buy one seeing the price on these sets is very good, just a pity there is a 58" 80a, that would be a hot product

i wouldn't be worried if the tv has a few less hdmi ports or not soo good sound, you really should be using a receiver to have surround sound and take care of the hdmi pass through audio stuff etc.

Just another price

Bought the 50pz80a today, Clive Anthony in the Gold Coast.

$2100 for the set

$300 for extended warranty to 5 years

$2400 total

negotiated in that order, no fuss, very easy sale and free bluray via redemption.

cant get anywhere near that price in SA. got a friend at JB hifi and best price is 2400 for TV and extra 200 for 5 year warranty which still seems good to me. Wish i could get 2400 total.. I still think i'll get it tho.. I really want to wait for the G10 but who knows when and how much that will cost..

Pricing seems to vary around the place. I have a contact at JB's in Victoria who told me the best (close to cost) price is $2400 yet I got one for $2250 from HN on the weekend just walking off the street. Perhaps JB's cost price is actually lower that what they tell their salesman. The salesman at HN told me that $2250 was very close to their cost.

cant get anywhere near that price in SA. got a friend at JB hifi and best price is 2400 for TV and extra 200 for 5 year warranty which still seems good to me. Wish i could get 2400 total.. I still think i'll get it tho.. I really want to wait for the G10 but who knows when and how much that will cost..

I know a manager at a JB store in Perth and the best price I got quoted was $2400 also. I havent shopped around the others like HNs, Retravision, Good Guys etc but $2400 is the rock bottom price for JB.

I know a manager at a JB store in Perth and the best price I got quoted was $2400 also. I havent shopped around the others like HNs, Retravision, Good Guys etc but $2400 is the rock bottom price for JB.

cheers for that mate, might check out harvey norman and the others to see if they can beat it..

Just wondering if anyone has any good settings to share. I am getting ready now to try to set mine up. Earlier on I had a look at a Harry Potter dvd we own on a dark scene. (The Dersleys sleeping in the lighthouse trying to avoid the Hogwarts letters arriving).

On the reduced settings I was using to run it in I could see no detail at all in the darkened room other than the sleeping people. When I turned it up a bit I could see all the other things in the dark... suitcases etc.

The point is that with some settings you can be missing out on a lot of detail... I am going to look around stores to try to find DVD Essentials which I believe is the guide to setting up your screen. Anyone already done it? Willing to share settings?

cheers for that mate, might check out harvey norman and the others to see if they can beat it..

Shopped HN and GG in Osborne Park today for a 50PZ80, GG said $2500 cash was their bottom line. HN got down to $2500 including a 3 year extended warranty. Of course he gave me the "prices are going back up to $2799 on Monday" routine too.

I think they're moving the 50PZ80 models, they don't seem much inclined to haggle (at least in Perth).

Myer has the 50PZ80A for $2499 in latest catalogue.

Um... I still cant find anywhere that has DVD Essentials to rent... does anyone know any other tips for settings? Like maybe a particular scene from a movie?

Try Monsters Inc. In the DVD menu. there is a mini calibration setup

Shopped HN and GG in Osborne Park today for a 50PZ80, GG said $2500 cash was their bottom line. HN got down to $2500 including a 3 year extended warranty. Of course he gave me the "prices are going back up to $2799 on Monday" routine too.

I did a bit of looking around and speaking to salesmen around the southern suburbs of Perth over the last 2 weeks for a PZ80A. JB went to $2420 if I added extended warranty $400 + delivery (possibly $90). But ended up getting it from Myer's in Perth who have it ticketed at $2499. I ended up buying it for $2693 with a 5 year extended warranty and delivery on Wednesday lunchtime and it arrived at home Thursday morning. Others may get it for cheaper but both the salesman and I were happy so... :)

Mark

I have paid for my plasma so I can send away for the blu ray. I just have to send a copy of the reciept and serial number (which I can get off the box from the store).

I have left it at the store as they said the warranty wouldnt start until they deliver it.

But now when I read the pana website it sounds like they expect you have had the plasma delivered.

If this is the case does that mean from panasonic point of view my warranty will have started from now?

If this is the case I may as well be watching it now.

Didnt want to get it until the new house is built which isnt until may!

I have paid for my plasma so I can send away for the blu ray. I just have to send a copy of the reciept and serial number (which I can get off the box from the store).

I have left it at the store as they said the warranty wouldnt start until they deliver it.

But now when I read the pana website it sounds like they expect you have had the plasma delivered.

If this is the case does that mean from panasonic point of view my warranty will have started from now?

If this is the case I may as well be watching it now.

Didnt want to get it until the new house is built which isnt until may!

Jeez, I'd go and pick it up and start watching it now!

May..........thats 1,2,3.......3 months away!

Its not hard to pick it up and chuck it back in the box when you move and you wont have to worry when your warranty starts etc. etc. and you will have had 3 months watching your new tv.

It will also make it easier to justify buying the one you did, because when you see all the new models out there by may or june, and you are unpacking your "old" model for the first time, you might be saying to yourself "if only I had waited".

So go pick it up and enjoy your purchase.

P.S. let us know how it goes! :winky:

Wags

Edited by Wags

Enjoy it now!

The warranty depends on how they invoice you....if they put a delivery date of May, then that's when the warranty will start from...but I'd get the enjoyment out of it now, before the new models start landing and you start thinking about maybe swapping it for a newer model :winky:

Hi people .. I just joined here today as I bought a 50PZ80A this morning ... delivery will be Wednesday this week.

I have a question ... and I may sound like a newbie but I was wondering what Panasonic mean when they say HDMI 2 input slot is Digital Audio only.

The thing is that this TV only has 2 HDMI inputs. I will have the free DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player they give me by remittance, and also a Panasonic DMR-XW300 DVR with the twin HD tuners.

SO will I get HD quality picture and sound from both of these machines using HDMI leads going to HDMI and HDMI 2 inputs on the TV? Or will it only work for HD video with only the first HDMI input?

Thanks very much ... I await any reply with baited breath.

Tom

Bought my pz80A today from JB hifi west lakes. Very happy with the picture, but speakers are fairly average. Hopefully get an AV reciever and some speakers next. Overall its great tho. High Def channels are pretty nice to watch, just have to sit back a bit cos its in my room. Cant wait to hook up the PC to play some Crysis and COD4/5. Just have to send away for the Blue Ray now! cant wait..