Pioneer Pdp-lx609a/krp600m Best Price

well i went to harveys and well it was shut haha. i thought they were open late on thursday, but obviously close before 8pm.

popped into jb hifi, they had a 509 on display and i asked the guy if it was an lx, he said it was. but it had a speaker at the bottom like the 508XD had. just checked pioneer site and its the PDPC509A, go sales guy. it was 4998.

it was next to a LG 50PG70 and a samsung plasma. yeah meh.. didnt look any better than a 508LX. sstill looked very dull, the contrast was better than the LG but really not breath taking in the store as it could be at home. Colour accuracy was a little better, but really playing Ten HD medical show side by side, the sammy was much brighter, the LG and kuro were on same brightness, contrast went to kuro but it was only noticeable mainly on darker colours.

id like to have seen the new LX up against the other 50's, as directly behind me was an LX609 playing a bluray and it looked good, but its hard to compare when its sitting out on its own.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went back to HN to pick up some Toslink cables (On Sale for $9 each) and the 509 I saw being unpacked might have already been sold. I did not bother to ask but I could not find it anywhere.

Smokenz, I find JBHIFI to do a very poor job of setting up the Pioneer Plasmas, and most displays they make the least profit on. I asked once if I could change the setting of the LX609 they had on display and I was told no. :lol: It looked like it was running in energy saving mode 2 and with sharpness turned all the way up with hardly any care taken with the setup. Wonder, if they want to sell these Displays at all.

Edit: The Toslink cables were Pulse branded they work great, and for $9 I picked up 3.

Edited by Hari

For those who chose the lx-609 over the th-58pz850a, please explain what was it that tipped you in favour of the Pioneer?

I mean for the price of the Pioneer, I can pick up the 58" Pana and upgrade my av receiver and speakers.

Edited by xclusive_gamer

For those who chose the lx-609 over the th-58pz850a, please explain what was it that tipped you in favour of the Pioneer?

I mean for the price of the Pioneer, I can pick up the 58" Pana and upgrade my av receiver and speakers.

For me it was the fact that no matter how good the Panna is I would sit there looking at it wondering how much better the Pioneer would have been. I just would have constantly been looking for it's faults. I also need to up-grade my AVR, and need a Blu-Ray but they will both have to wait awhile now.

Whilst I'm waiting I'm watching the best picture available with today's technology and I know it will only get better, once it beds in, blu-ray gets added, then ISF calibrated.

:D

what if someone came around and showed you faults with a pioneer kuro that you paid a premium price for?? would you then regret having paid a premium price for a product that may have some faults, when a cheaper product you expect faults so are less likely to be as judgemental on it?

not trying to sound like a negative B, but thats what i noticed with my first kuro when i got it home, when in the stores it looked pretty impressive.

Edited by smokenz

what if someone came around and showed you faults with a pioneer kuro that you paid a premium price for?? would you then regret having paid a premium price for a product that may have some faults, when a cheaper product you expect faults so are less likely to be as judgemental on it?

not trying to sound like a negative B, but thats what i noticed with my first kuro when i got it home, when in the stores it looked pretty impressive.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the Kuro has the perfect picture, I'm sure it's by no means perfect, but "I" believe it's the best available on the market.

It's a subjective thing. "I" believe it's the best available so "I'm" happy. I'm not the type to knowingly buy a product that has faults, or isn't the best, simply to save myself money. I've always made myself wait, saved my pennies and bought, what I believe, is the best available product that I can afford.

Not everyone is like that, my sister is a perfect example. We are opposites. She'll always buy the cheapest product available, knowing it's not the best, but happy because she got a "bargain".

Each to their own.

I notice you said "first" kuro. Does that mean you've since bought another?

yeah sorry i didn't mean to come across like a big negative b. i just felt when i bought a kuro when they were new that it wasn't the best decision i made.

i haven't bought another kuro, but i haven't ruled out getting another one, as i do agree that they are the best picture in the current martket of tvs available.

i just noticed things that you may be able to confirm have gone. one was the buzzing, which i think has been established that its dropped considerably that you can't hear it.

the brightness would fluctuate on screen with video, that i think is to do with how plasmas brightness fluctuates with the amount of white on screen? but even my mate that loves plasmas now but had a few sony X series lcds noticed the brightness fluctuating.

a full black screen didn't have what i'd consider perfect black screen uniformity, although it was better than LCD. i checked this on a few, and i also notice a review of the 500m mentions this, not sure if the 60" is different.

they are only a few little niggles, but after a while i was annoyed because when i moved here we had a samsung plasma for a while that had better screen uniformity, although not as black, it didnt flutuate brightness that my eye detected or my mates in that matter, and no buzz.

going from a kuro to a samsung plasma i thought that i had always been concerned about the black levels, but really i found the samsung plasma to be acceptable in picture quality, and yet it was much much cheaper.

but in saying that, had i not had the few niggles with the kuro i would have said nothing could beat it :D which is what i assume you are experiencing with yours :P

Edited by smokenz

Nope....because I rather deal with Pioneer than other manufactures when it comes to service [5yr warranty] just look at the Sony SXRD thread!

cheers laurie

yeah sorry i didn't mean to come across like a big negative b. i just felt when i bought a kuro when they were new that it wasn't the best decision i made.

i haven't bought another kuro, but i haven't ruled out getting another one, as i do agree that they are the best picture in the current martket of tvs available.

i just noticed things that you may be able to confirm have gone. one was the buzzing, which i think has been established that its dropped considerably that you can't hear it.

I was a bit concerned about the possible buzzing having read the AVS forum in the UK. Can happily report that my ears can't detect any buzzing, even with my ear an inch from the panel.

the brightness would fluctuate on screen with video, that i think is to do with how plasmas brightness fluctuates with the amount of white on screen? but even my mate that loves plasmas now but had a few sony X series lcds noticed the brightness fluctuating.

Watched "Supernatural" on DVD last night and looked for fluctuations but couldn't see any.

a full black screen didn't have what i'd consider perfect black screen uniformity, although it was better than LCD. i checked this on a few, and i also notice a review of the 500m mentions this, not sure if the 60" is different.

I can confirm this on mine. If displaying a completely black screen the centre of the panel is slightly darker than the outside. It's a very smooth gradation though and my eyes I can only detect it on a completely black screen in a dark (No lights) room.. As soon as there is any image displayed its undetectable.

they are only a few little niggles, but after a while i was annoyed because when i moved here we had a samsung plasma for a while that had better screen uniformity, although not as black, it didnt flutuate brightness that my eye detected or my mates in that matter, and no buzz.

going from a kuro to a samsung plasma i thought that i had always been concerned about the black levels, but really i found the samsung plasma to be acceptable in picture quality, and yet it was much much cheaper.

I've gone from a Samsung to the Kuro. I was very impressed with my Samsung, until the Kuro arrived. I have these panels setup back to back (either side of a room divider). With both displaying HD FTA there's a huge difference in picture. It really shows the different strengths of both TV's. The Samsung is more dynamic and "in-your-face", the Kuro more muted, subtle and life-like. I could see personal preferences playing a large part in people's opinions.

but in saying that, had i not had the few niggles with the kuro i would have said nothing could beat it :D which is what i assume you are experiencing with yours :P

Hooked up a Pioneer BDP-51FD last night to the Kuro. My cheeks ache from smiling so much!

That's the set up we just put up in store. I find the load time on it though really slow...

It's my first BDP so I have nothing to compare it with. You wouldn't want to be in a hurry tho.

I believe the latest firmware upgrade speeds things up a bit. V1.25 (I think). I haven't worked out how to check the firmware version of my player yet tho.

So with the news that Pioneer TVs are no longer to be manufactured has anyone noticed a price increase or decrease?

Just wondering if the news had any affect as I'm now ready to buy an LX609a.

Well I was afraid of missing out on this great TV with the news that Pioneer are dropping out of the TV Market so I bit the bullet and haggled at Myer.

Managed to get the TV and Pioneer 51 Blu Ray player for total of $8600 (breakdown on receipt is $8000 for tv, $545 for blu ray and $55 for delivery).

Arrives on Wednesday morning! Can't wait :D