Sign in to follow this  
ageha

Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

The th-65pf11wk IS a 65" TV. :blink:

I see....

I was hoping that it was possible to get the 65" TVs for that price ... oh well

Post 72 in this thread in the UK avforums provides some screen shots of the pf11 being used as a television rather than as an advertising panel.

The owner actually prefers the pf11 picture to his krp-500m kuro.

Cost aside anything below 60" is s m a l l as Owen always has said in the past, amazing how the eyes adjust quickly telling the brain "Your 60" is getting smaller every day"

cheers laurie

The th-65pf11wk IS a 65" TV. :blink:

To clarify I meant a unit with a built in tuner, and all the other bits and bobs like HDMI ports etc.

Edited by purpleninja

Post 72 in this thread in the UK avforums provides some screen shots of the pf11 being used as a television rather than as an advertising panel.

And the rest of the thread...............

but the Pioneer still looks stunning with HD and I am more than happy with it for the time being.

That's what I got my Kuro for certainly not to view SD apart from BD the only true transmitted HD is Foxtel HD

cheers laurie

Thanks for that - I'll have a look

Cheers

PN :-)

Does anyone know how come the commercial 65" has a far cheaper street price (compared to its RRP), as opposed to the 65" Viera TV?

In the UK and the US they actually cost more than the consumer panels. Thats why they are such good value here.

BTW, these panels come with 2 hdmi inputs as standard with the option to add 2 more if required. Not that you want to, but there is also the option to add a digital tuner

You can buy a dual tuner HD PVR, which is a lot more useful then an inbuilt tuner, and still be way in front price wise.

If you don’t like the idea of an extra remote, get a programmable universal remote to replace every remote in the house.

the only true transmitted HD is Foxtel HD

cheers laurie

:huh: What’s the data rate of Foxtel HD?

How is it more "true HD" then free to air?

Cost aside anything below 60" is s m a l l as Owen always has said in the past, amazing how the eyes adjust quickly telling the brain "Your 60" is getting smaller every day"

cheers laurie

Yep, anyone who thinks a 60” TV is huge has not lived with one. After a few days it just looks normal and you will wish for bigger, especially with wide aspect ratio movies that don’t fill the screen.

The statement "only true transmitted.." is a bit out there.

FTA is just as HD as Foxtel. Bitrate is a bit limiting for the MPEG2 or FTA when fast movement happens (noticeable on red colours I've found). It's no less HD than the MPEG4 of Foxtel though.

In the UK and the US they actually cost more than the consumer panels. Thats why they are such good value here.

BTW, these panels come with 2 hdmi inputs as standard with the option to add 2 more if required. Not that you want to, but there is also the option to add a digital tuner

You can buy a dual tuner HD PVR, which is a lot more useful then an inbuilt tuner, and still be way in front price wise.

If you don’t like the idea of an extra remote, get a programmable universal remote to replace every remote in the house.

I'll definitely look into these options. At the price difference I can't afford not to!

Cheers

PN

The statement "only true transmitted.." is a bit out there.

FTA is just as HD as Foxtel. Bitrate is a bit limiting for the MPEG2 or FTA when fast movement happens (noticeable on red colours I've found). It's no less HD than the MPEG4 of Foxtel though.

yeh ok :wacko: got a bit carried away basically what I was trying to say between Foxtel HD & FTA HD I know what I would rather watch on a decent display :blush:

cheers laurie

Agreed :D

Can somebody confirm the correct model number and the rrp for the 50" commercial panel as there are 2 on there web site.

There is a 50PF11 and a 50PH11.

Thanks

Daywalker

Can somebody confirm the correct model number and the rrp for the 50" commercial panel as there are 2 on there web site.

There is a 50PF11 and a 50PH11.

Thanks

Daywalker

The PH is the 768p panel and the PF is the 1080p panel. Shotbot will give you a rough idea on street prices.

Thanks cummo

These commercial panels don't seem to be any cheaper than the consumer panels.

What is the advantage in buying one of these?

Any thoughts

Thanks

Daywalker

Normally the commercial panels are similar in price to the vierras. Their specs. are similar to the 850 range.

At the moment, the larger 58" and 65" are very good value compared to the consumer panel. One site has the 65" listed for $6170 nad the 58" listed for $4150. These prices are way below the similar

sized vierras.

Advantages and disadvantages of each is in how you intend to use them. The commercial panels are designed to run 24/7. They have more robust internals such as larger power supplies and are less susceptible to image retention. They are the dedicated video component of an overall home theatre setup. By allowing 1:1 pixel matching on both the analogue and digital inputs, the picture processing can be done by a more advanced external processor like a Lumagen or Iscan processor or a high end HTPC. The audio is left to your surround sound system.

They are also one of the few plasma panels that will display a pc desktop at the panels native resolution.

The only way image retention could be reduced is if different phosphor was used, which would require a different panel and is therefore highly unlikely, or limit the pixel drive and light output, again very unlikely for a commercial panel that will need all the brightness it can get.

People have been getting 1:1 out of 768 Panasonic Plasmas for years over VGA, but DVI-HDMI has been more problematic from memory. Just about any 1080 Plasma has a 1:1 mode for 1080 input over HDMI.

Commercial models usually don’t come with HDMI inputs or a tuner, both are available as optional plug in modules, so be aware.

Dual HDMI board is about $180 and digital tuner about $350.

Edited by Owen

The only way image retention could be reduced is if different phosphor was used, which would require a different panel and is therefore highly unlikely, or limit the pixel drive and light output, again very unlikely for a commercial panel that will need all the brightness it can get.

It has been argued for some time that the commercial and consumer panels have similar specs but have different components internally. I've owned 3 of the commercial panels over the past 6-7 years and haven't had a single instance of IR on any of the panels, and thats with a young son having free reign with his games and 4:3 content on each.

It's only in recent years as the panels increase in their brightness that IR has received a mention on the commercial panels.

People have been getting 1:1 out of 768 Panasonic Plasmas for years over VGA, but DVI-HDMI has been more problematic from memory. Just about any 1080 Plasma has a 1:1 mode for 1080 input over HDMI.

I'm getting 1:1 out of vga on my PHD8 (3.5 years old) via a DVDO vp50 pro. It also does a native 1366x768 (60hz) pc desktop via a dvi blade. My 5 year PHD6 old does 1080 24p via component.

Even the 1080p pro model Pioneers don't list 1920x1080 as a resolution via hdmi when in pc mode. If it is possible, it isn't listed in the manual.

Commercial models usually don’t come with HDMI inputs or a tuner, both are available as optional plug in modules, so be aware.

Dual HDMI board is about $180 and digital tuner about $350

The Australian panels have a dual hdmi blade as standard. There is room for a second dual blade into slot 2 if required.

Thanks

This will give me something to think about when it comes time to buy.

I was thinking about buying a hi def pvr so i won't need the tuner.

However i do not have an external video processor.

Most of my viewing will be blueray/hddvd any way so would an external processor be a worthwhile investment?

Do the commercial panels have the same video processing as the consumer panels?

Thanks

Andrew

From what I've read, a calibrated commercial panel outperforms a vierra.

An external processor isn't necessary, but instead of getting a second hdmi blade, I'd consider a $1000 Iscan Edge with its 6 hdmi inputs and audio control.

It would also have an influence on the final picture quality.

I wouldn't an extra blade as i would be running everything through my pio lx-71. This has 4 HDMI ins sufficient for my needs. It also just passes through the HDMI signal as it does not have any form of processing built in.

Would I be wrong in thinking that I would be able to negotiate a better deal on a consumer panel though?

Thanks

Daywalker