Sign in to follow this  
ageha

Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

Back on topic how are the new panna's in regards to image retention, I have the model that's just been phased out and I notice static images retain quickly. Apparently LG and samsung have eliminated the i.r problem altogether, is this true?

Other way around. The new Pana's are apparently better at handling IR than the others.

Other way around. The new Pana's are apparently better at handling IR than the others.

That’s because they can not be driven as bright as LG’s or Samsungs.

Burn in risk and IR are directly related to brightness not Plasma brand, that’s why setup is important.

If you set up a range of Plasmas for the same light output IR will be about the same for all.

?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/668/planetearth.html

5/5 is ordinary now??

I've seen around 100 movies and a handful of documentary's and p.e is some of the best hd I've seen. Its also mastered at 1080p/24fps (snow leopard extra in 720p) for the record. There is some off putting 'touch up' cgi and the sound track can be a little childish at times, other then that its still one of the best blu's available.

Goes to show what “reviews” are worth. Anyone who thinks “Planet Earth” is a fine example of HD video quality has never seen high quality HD, either that or they are viewing a little TV that does not reveal the shortcomings in the content. PE on a 70” screen at 3 meters is nothing to get excited about.

I rate PE 5/5 for content and 3/5 for video quality, it’s not the sort of thing I would use as a HD demo.

Maybe I'm a neanderthal but I thought PE (mountains episode) was absolutely fantastic.

I thought the name of the game is to buy a display and derive enjoyment from it......not to be sour because not all content looks as good as Wall-E or Baraka (or whatever).

:)

Dennis.

Never said I was sour, I’m happy watching Foxtel-Austar, however I know good video quality when I see it and PE is not very good.

Baraka is another example of great content and ordinary video quality.

Never said I was sour, I’m happy watching Foxtel-Austar, however I know good video quality when I see it and PE is not very good.

Baraka is another example of great content and ordinary video quality.

I better run Windex over my eyes.

Baraka =====> ordinary. You may think it is ordinary, I happen to believe that some of the images are stunning (remember, "me is neanderthal").

Note the definition of ordinary is

a. Of no exceptional ability, degree, or quality; average.

b. Of inferior quality; second-rate.

Ok, does Baraka really fits those definitions?

I'm not saying it's the best quality in the history of the universe, but it most definately is far from ordinary (IMO).

Dennis.

I better run Windex over my eyes.

Baraka =====> ordinary. You may think it is ordinary, I happen to believe that some of the images are stunning (remember, "me is neanderthal").

I'm not saying it's the best quality in the history of the universe, but it most definately is far from ordinary (IMO).

Dennis.

Hi all

Just picked a up a wonderfull Pana 50g10 and would like to get the most out of it, could you please advise of the best settings.

It has gamma setting etc and I'm a bit lost.

Your asistance with this would be much appriciated.

Sure does.

Content is great, quality is very ordinary.

Sure does.

Content is great, quality is very ordinary.

Your wrong.

Dennis.

I saw the 50" V10 today at JB. It looked good. Bit thinner, nice clean picture-frame-like design.

Touting single sheet of glass, I was expecting something similar to my Samsung 58B850 also.

But after a closer look from various angles and just watching it play its nice bluray demo, I was very disapponted.

The front glass is like 5mm+ infront of the plasma panel. A very big gap. (similar but more noticeable to S10 / G10 series for some reason) Demo video was a bluray with nice nature videos. But some black scenes with white writing showed a big flaw. When watched from a very slight off angle from the left or right, the writing was reflecting internally within the plasma/glass and the white writing appeared as multiple layers. eeeek. The glass at front is so reflective that it's just near unwatchable from off angle in a well lit environment also/ Washed out colour, multiple internal reflections and highly reflective glass. Just not a nice combination.

So to people who consider the V10 series, don't buy it if you need to watch it during the day in a decently well lit room / area often. It's even worse then the Panasonic S10/G10 series from what I saw on the floor. I was expecting at least Samsung Series 6 class of screen filter and visibility but it still isn't close. Samsung Series 8 plasma is in a totally different league of course. (1.2" thick instead of 2", has nearly zero gap + superior high tech filter etc. Probably the best plasma for daylight right now. You just have to see it to appreciate it. But it doesn't come cheap coz of it.) Even my wife could easily see that V10 was worse than Samsung plasmas in visibility. Much more reflective and more washed out colours/black due to internal reflections.

btw, this is just 1 area. I didn't mention image quality/features etc etc. Image quality wise, it's not much different to G10. Nearly identical. Well, you can also read reviews in such websites as flatpanelshd.com to confirm. (You'll notice the reflections I was seeing in the photos also) Being 2" thick isn't a huge plus imo. Was thicker than I though and wasn't much different to most other plasmas by eye.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?sub...p;id=1244733154

Basically, it doesn't seem that worth it to pay extra for V10 over the G10 imo.

As I'm tooing and throwing between the V10 and the Sammy 850, I'd be interested to hear from a new owner regarding the V10 once it was setup in a home environment.

At the week-end I was "lucky" enough to view a G10, V10, Sammy 850 and a Pio 609 side by side.

While in isolation all would be regarded as fine TVs.. My viewing opinion had the V10 the best (greyscaling top notch) with the Pio worst ( dull and lifeless)..

Which goes to show that trying to decide between models in worst possible environment with unknown setup variables can be misleading.

You can't judge a TV properly on a showroom floor as it's nothing like a home environment. Who has that many fluros in their house? :rolleyes:

I used to have a G10 and then upgraded to a V10 due to issues I had and am absolutely loving it! The missus uses it mainly during the day in our moderately lit lounge room and I do agree that a screen filter would do the world of good, but it's nowhere near as bad as what jakiman is making out. I still need to calibrate it properly once it's run in (got a DVE BD coming) but IMO it's better than the G10 for a number of reasons.

The major difference is the THX mode, which is very good, I was quite impressed. The extra HDMI port is also a bonus. It cost me $200 more to upgrade so I feel it's worth it.

The Samsung 850 is a nice set, but I tend to look at the whole TV, not just the picture. Tinny sound, lack of older inputs (no S-video, only one component, no RCA audio output, etc), slight input lag (big issue when gaming), IR issues (also important when gaming) and price (around $1000 more!) put it off the radar for me. I might've bought a Sammy if it weren't for those issues.

It cost me $200 more to upgrade so I feel it's worth it.

Yeah. I looked at the price difference again today and realise it's not that much different between the G10 and V10.

For some reason, I was thinking more like $500+ difference. I'll change my post so that it doesn't sound so harsh. =P

But really, I was quite disappointed with its super reflective front glass panel.

Well, you should definitely have a look before you get it over the Sammy B650.

(B850 is much more expensive so not a fair comparison really, a different class)

You can't judge a TV properly on a showroom floor as it's nothing like a home environment. Who has that many fluros in their house? :rolleyes:

Have you played much PS3 or 360 on your V10 yet mate? Have you noticed any phosphor trailing/lag or is it all good? That's about the only thing that's making me hesitant about getting a Pana plasma at the moment as I've read conflicting reports in other forums. I suppose it is one of those things some people see and some people don't, and even if it is present it gets better after the first few hundred hours

Edited by belgavion

But really, I was quite disappointed with its super reflective front glass panel.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'super reflective panel', mine appears to have more of a matt or semi-gloss finish to it.

Have you played much PS3 or 360 on your V10 yet mate? Have you noticed any phosphor trailing/lag or is it all good? That's about the only thing that's making me hesitant about getting a Pana plasma at the moment as I've read conflicting reports in other forums. I suppose it is one of those things some people see and some people don't, and even if it is present it gets better after the first few hundred hours

Games are great! I've only tried the 360 at the moment and I will be picking up a PS3 slim soon but so far I have noticed slight phosphor trailing, definately nothing worth complaining about. I have fairly sensitive eyes too so I notice things like this, (along with rainbow effect with DLP projectors) but in comparison to LCD's, the slower response time I tend to notice more.

I've only clocked up 50 hours or so (haven't checked) so like you say it should get better. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'super reflective panel', mine appears to have more of a matt or semi-gloss finish to it.

Maybe I'm a bit spoilt by the Samsung 58B850 plasma I got so most other plasmas just look way too reflective.

Also, the internal reflections which occur in the Panasonic G10/V10 was quite noticeble. (Doesn't exist on B850)

(Considering B850 is ~$800-1000 more than the G10/V10 series, I also know it's not really fair to compare. =P)

I'm sure it all doesn't matter too much in a dark environment either. I'm just sharing info on how I / wife saw it.

btw, I play games quite a bit with my TV using PS3 and Wii. I never noticed any game lag. I'm sure that would suck if I did.

Edited by jakiman

I think you are confusing reflections with ambient light rejection, they are different issues.

The 850 Samsung has a full gloss screen and does suffer from reflections, however its ambient light rejection is second to none as far as Plasma’s go due to a very effective screen filter that give it significantly better contrast under most viewing conditions.

The Panasonics (havent seen the V10 yet) have a satin screen finish which reduces reflections, however ambient light rejection is very poor.

Edited by Owen

I saw the 50" V10 today at JB. It looked good. Bit thinner, nice clean picture-frame-like design.

Touting single sheet of glass, I was expecting something similar to my Samsung 58B850 also.

But after a closer look from various angles and just watching it play its nice bluray demo, I was very disapponted.

The front glass is like 5mm+ infront of the plasma panel. A very big gap. (similar but more noticeable to S10 / G10 series for some reason) Demo video was a bluray with nice nature videos. But some black scenes with white writing showed a big flaw. When watched from a very slight off angle from the left or right, the writing was reflecting internally within the plasma/glass and the white writing appeared as multiple layers. eeeek. The glass at front is so reflective that it's just near unwatchable from off angle in a well lit environment also/ Washed out colour, multiple internal reflections and highly reflective glass. Just not a nice combination.

So to people who consider the V10 series, don't buy it if you need to watch it during the day in a decently well lit room / area often. It's even worse then the Panasonic S10/G10 series from what I saw on the floor.

I walked into a JB today and saw the reflection issue you mentioned. It just so happened that every panel in the store had credits from a blu-ray rolling and I noticed the reflection in the V10 right away when looking at it close up from an angle, but I could also see the exact same reflection in every other plasma on display, in varying degrees. To my eyes, the reflection in the G10 and V10 were identical, with many other LG's and Samsungs around it showing the same thing except maybe it was slightly less pronounced.

The store didn't have a B850 on display though so I couldn't see if was there, but the series 5 and 6 Samsungs definitely showed the same reflection.

Having only ever owned LCD screens I'll assume that these reflections are not a big deal to any plasma owners in a home environment, otherwise it'd be brought up more often. I know it also comes down to the screen filters etc and that in a darkened room it isn't an issue anyway

Any idea what the new 54" Panasonic is going to cost? I see it's coming soon at digitalcentre.

I have been holding out on buying my next TV until the Panasonic Viera TH-P54S10A was released.

Seemed like it was going to be awesome value for $3,749 RRP

Looks like they are finally here. :) I have done a search and seen a few prices on the web, around the $3,100 mark (with one as low as $2,949 - from Streamaster.com.au)

Anyone know if they're in the shops yet? First thing I'd like to do when I get back to Perth is hit the shops! (well, maybe the second thing, but the first thing won't take long ;) )

Edited by luuuc

What pansonic plasma would be better to get? The TH-P50X10A or TH-P50X14A. They both seem to be around the same price. Only difference i can see is that the 10A has 3 HDMI ports.