Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I'm very interested in finding out how you know that these displays do 96Hz when fed a 1080p24 signal. Thanks.

I don’t for a fact as I have no way of testing it; I can only go on what is written, same as everyone else.

If you don’t see flicker or 3:2 judder it really does not matter what the TV is doing, and apparently neither is an issue on the Samsungs.

Hi. I'm very interested in finding out how you know that these displays do 96Hz when fed a 1080p24 signal. Thanks.

I emailed Pana Aus to ask them if the S10 and G10 do 24p at 48Hz or 96Hz and they emailed me back the following.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

The 24p Playback is at 96Hz. Panasonic does not plan to release a 54 or 58 inch plasma in the G and V series.

Kind Regards,

Panasonic Customer Care"

What is this matte filter you speak of?

As diesel noted it's the screen filter.

Under strong ambient lighting the Panasonic screen when turned off looks grayish in tone.

Under those same conditions the Samsung screen will look blacker.

Hence when displaying real content the Samsung will look blacker (under these conditions), for example day time viewing with blinds open.

Dennis.

There are two distinctly different issues to address with Plasma screens, the first is the mirror like reflection from a smooth sheet of glass, this can be improved by applying a matt or low sheen surface coating, the down side to this is that you replace a narrow band reflection with a broad band one, light that would have been reflected in one direction is now diffused and scattered in many directions, the result is a slight haze over the picture. For those who can see their room or themselves reflected in their TV the anti reflective matt surface is a plus, but for those that dont have that problem the matt finish screen degrades image quality and 3D look.

Compare a matt finish photo print with a high gloss one and the difference is obvious, most people will prefer the high gloss finish.

A matt or satin finish screen is a surface coating not a filter.

The second issue that needs addressing is the green grey colour of the phosphor layer of the plasma panel. When light passed through the front glass it illuminates the phosphor giving the screen a green grey appearance. There are two ways to address this problem; the simplest and cheapest way is to tint the glass, light is attenuated on the way through the glass and again when it is reflected back from the underlying phosphor layer. CRT TV's also use phosphor and have the same issues, early CRT TVs had a very obvious grey appearance when not displaying a picture, but on later models tinting was used to make the screen look much darker.

The down side of tinting is a loss of light output as the tint blocks light from the picture getting out just as well as it blocks light getting to the phosphor layer.

There is a more high tech solution to the problem, screen filters can be designed to allow the light from the phosphor pixels to get out to the viewer relatively unimpeded, yet absorb light coming in from the room that would otherwise degrade contrast and black level. The down side to this high tech filtering is cost, it's a lot more complex and expensive than a simple tint.

The Panasonics typically use a matt or satin screen coating to help surface reflections and a small amount of tint, no high tech filter is employed (if there is its not a good one), except maybe in the most expensive VX100 65" panel.

The Samsungs employ different screens depending on model, the low end 550 has the most basic filter or tint, not much different to Panasonic. The 650 uses a high tech filter and the 850 uses an even better filter, it's part of what you pay extra for. None of the Samsungs use a matt finish screen as far as I know.

Pioneer also use high tech screen filtering, without it they could not achieve the contrast they do.

Edited by Owen

There are two distinctly different issues to address with Plasma screens, the first is the mirror like reflection from a smooth sheet of glass, this can be improved by applying a matt or low sheet surface coating, the down side to this is that you replace a narrow band reflection with a broad band one, light that would have been reflected in one direction is now diffused and scattered in many directions, the result is a slight haze over the picture. For those who can see their room or themselves reflected in their TV the anti reflective matt surface is a plus, but for those that dont have that problem the matt finish screen degrades image quality and 3D look.

Compare a matt finish photo print with a high gloss one and the difference is obvious, most people will prefer the high gloss finish.

A matt or satin finish screen is a surface coating not a filter.

The second issue that needs addressing is the green grey colour of the phosphor layer of the plasma panel. When light passed through the front glass it illuminates the phosphor giving the screen a green grey appearance. There are two ways to address this problem; the simplest and cheapest way is to tint the glass, light is attenuated on the way through the glass and again when it is reflected back from the underlying phosphor layer. CRT TV's also use phosphor and have the same issues, early CRT TVs had a very obvious grey appearance when not displaying a picture, but on later models tinting was used to make the screen look much darker.

The down side of tinting is a loss of light output as the tint blocks light from the picture getting out just as well as it blocks light getting to the phosphor layer.

There is a more high tech solution to the problem, screen filters can be designed to allow the light from the phosphor pixels to get out to the viewer relatively unimpeded, yet absorb light coming in from the room that would otherwise degrade contrast and black level. The down side to this high tech filtering is cost, it's a lot more complex and expensive than a simple tint.

The Panasonics typically use a matt or satin screen coating to help surface reflections and a small amount of tint, no high tech filter is employed (if there is its not a good one), except maybe in the most expensive VX100 65" panel.

The Samsungs employ different screens depending on model, the low end 550 has the most basic filter or tint, not much different to Panasonic. The 650 uses a high tech filter and the 850 uses an even better filter, it's part of what you pay extra for. None of the Samsungs use a matt finish screen as far as I know.

Pioneer also use high tech screen filtering, without it they could not achieve the contrast they do.

Bravo Bravo Owen!

Looks you are on of the most ‘’Know How’ person here in this forum and must say with eagle eyes ;) What you have written hrere in regarding today TV Displays and fitters is all ''100% correct'' and you have explained here what I never had nerves and time to put, I have nothing more to add on your excellent explanation post here ,that’s exactly problem with today’s TV Displays like you described with your words. This is best post in this forum and this post should be saved on safe place and used here as Reference to other users and also this should be clear message to all today main players TV Manufactures how they should make good TV panels and that we are not stupid and as consumers deserve not to be cheated with flooding cheap stuff => stop producing and selling cheap rubbish! Well done mate once more time congratulation and just keep good work whish you all the best !

Best regards

I just went down to HN and they had the new Panasonic Plasma's on display, they were not prepared the put on a Blu-ray disc to demo the screen's only a HDTV signal, which to be honest looked shocking on all the screens, just think it was to do with the broadcast.

Very disappointed, they want you to drop $3-5k on a screen and not get a proper demo.

If you want to use the TV's internal digital tuner, as most people will, the poor SD perfomance is a very serious problem.

I would use a HD PVR with it much of the time.

Will I have this same issue?

Is there a particular setting to check on the PVR?

I would use a HD PVR with it much of the time.

Will I have this same issue?

Is there a particular setting to check on the PVR?

Which PVR?

Does it upscale?

I believe most new HD PVRs (TIVO, Beyonwiz, Foxtel IQ2) can upscale SD to 1080i (quite well I hear).

If your PVR is a good quality upscaling PVR then you will have no issue at all if you enable upscaling of SD content.

Dennis.

From a very reputable Korean reviewer, he stated that new 2009 Samsung plasmas now do 4:4 pulldown of 96Hz for 24p sources.

But Samsung doesn't advertise this fact and he was concerned that this will confuse the consumers. Which obviously is happening. =P

BTW, higher the Hz doesn't always mean it's better. Pioneer as far as I know does 3:3 pulldown of 72Hz. No issues there.

Edited by jakiman

Guest virve

I am looking at purchasing the Pana 50 G10 in the next couple of weeks and from what I have read Myer seems willing to deal though I had a price from RV Nerang $2800 with no warranty, has any one been able to get any better??

I am looking at purchasing the Pana 50 G10 in the next couple of weeks and from what I have read Myer seems willing to deal though I had a price from RV Nerang $2800 with no warranty, has any one been able to get any better??

I've looking at getting this model as well and the best price i got so far is $2600 at a Myers in Sydney. I've been to a few places (Good Guys, Bing Lee, Clive Peters) and Myers seems to offer the best price.

Guest virve
I've looking at getting this model as well and the best price i got so far is $2600 at a Myers in Sydney. I've been to a few places (Good Guys, Bing Lee, Clive Peters) and Myers seems to offer the best price.

Thanks for that info, good price, was it hard to get them to come that low? I think I will wait for the release of the V in aug and see if the G have a price drop.

Bravo Bravo Owen!

Looks you are on of the most ‘’Know How’ person here in this forum and must say with eagle eyes ;) What you have written hrere in regarding today TV Displays and fitters is all ''100% correct'' and you have explained here what I never had nerves and time to put, I have nothing more to add on your excellent explanation post here ,that’s exactly problem with today’s TV Displays like you described with your words. This is best post in this forum and this post should be saved on safe place and used here as Reference to other users and also this should be clear message to all today main players TV Manufactures how they should make good TV panels and that we are not stupid and as consumers deserve not to be cheated with flooding cheap stuff => stop producing and selling cheap rubbish! Well done mate once more time congratulation and just keep good work whish you all the best !

Best regards

yeah alot of stores have crap broadcasts playing on the TV's. I wouldn't take any notice of it. Myer to their defense had a bluray demo disc showing some Triathlon that looked incredible running on a 50" G10 Viera. I got my 50" G10 Viera 2 weeks ago and I love it. I looked at alot of TV both Plasma and LCD over about 6 months so it wasn't a spur of the moment decision. Bluray looks amazing and OneHD especially the football looks fantastic. Even the F1 on One HD Sunday looked quite good I think it was upscaled. Go Webber you bloody ripper LOL! Anyway I'm very happy my G10.

:D

Edited by runningmanz

Just bought the Panasonic 50" G10 on the weekend from David Jones. We looked in Myer first, at the $2800 price and then went to David Jones where it was advertised at $3799 RRP. Got it price matched to $2800 as we have a David Jones card which allows 24 months interest free and no deposit at monthly repayments, which suited us. Have to wait a week or two as the TV's haven't even arrived in Australia yet. Also, the bonus thing about getting the Panasonic is that it comes with a "free" Wii. "Free" as in you have to pay $25 for p&h which I guess is alright. Already have a Xbox360 so I'm tossing up between keeping it or flogging it off for around $350 which, if you look at it, I'll ultimately only pay $2450 of my own money for this brand-spanking plasma.

Interesting observation about Panasonic front filters.

We all know that the Panasonic filter (in very bright conditions) is not the best.

However, not all Panasonic filters are the same.

In JB HiFi (me loitering like the sad individual that I am, hehehe) they had a Panasonic G-series next to an X-series (low-end 768P model), next to a Sony W-series LCD, next to a Sharp LCD (can't remember the model).

Movie credits were rolling...nice, lots of black.

Wow, big big difference between the G and the X. I was very surprised, I assumed the same filter was used by all Panasonics. Not the case. The G was clearly much better at maintaining black in bright conditions when compared to the X (a good twice to three times better....but hard to actually define just by the eye).

The Sony W was excellent in this type of environment (very very black as I expected). But the G was quite reasonable (better than the Sharp LCD at maintaining black in a bright environment). The X was the most poor.

Hence, one can not judge the G-series filter by way of an X series or last years PX80 series. They are NOT the same ;) ;)

Note, I do think the Samsung Plasma have a better filter when compared to the Panasonics. But even there is a big difference between a B650 and B850, the B850 screen filter is really superb.

Basically each series for each brand is different. Leave assumptions at the door.

Dennis.