Sign in to follow this  
ageha

Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

Owen, that's very immature of you to claim. If people on this thread were as close minded as you, they would be saying the PQ with G series plasma is HEAPS better than comparable Sammys. However, everyone here realises PQ is very personal and subjective. Thus, no one here claims Pana is better than Sammy or vice-versa. There are various settings to suit an individual's taste and that's all that matters when making a decision :)

To be fair, Owen was only referring to one component of PQ.

I find his posts to be generally enlightening.

Owen is right.

When you talk about a hdtv coping with ambient light, "Anti-Glare" and "Preserving Black Level" are two different things.

From what I've been reading, the new Panasonics have good ant-reflective screens but don't preserve black level very well in a bright room.

The other thing I don't like about the Pannys is the lack of control in the setup Menu compared to say, a Samsung plasma.

So I'm really looking forward to comparing a Panny G10/V10 to a Samsung B650/B680/B850 plasma.

I agree completely - i'm interested in the same G10 vs B650 comparison.

As for my “annoying & constant misuse of "then" instead of "than"...” well I’m sorry it bothers you so much mate, I will endeavour to be more careful in future . Me thinks you are gripping on too tight if little things like that get to you. :D

I have to say, i do find that particularly annoying (though i hadn't actually noticed your use). It's a new-age American-driven internet phenomonen i think. Very annoying. :ninja:

I agree completely - i'm interested in the same G10 vs B650 comparison.

Yep, lots of people are waiting for this (me included). Put the V10 into the mix as well.

Yep, lots of people are waiting for this (me included). Put the V10 into the mix as well.

Me three!

Owen, what are your reasons for not recommending Panasonic Plasmas any longer? If it is an issue with black levels in brightly lit rooms, are you going to say the latest generation of panels are inferior to past models in this regard? Curious to hear your answer. :D

I still would recommend the Panasonics to people who mainly view under very dim to dark environments and can’t afford or get hold of a Pioneer Kuro, because Panasonics black levels under such viewing conditions is lower than the Samsungs. However as ambient light levels increase they rapidly lose their advantage to the Samsung plasmas with much better screen filters. The brighter the environment the less suitable the Panasonics are.

Lack of effective screen filtering is nothing new, Panasonics have always had an issue with ambient light, its one reason I did not buy their 65” two years ago. Pioneer and Samsung recognised the problem and did something about it starting with their previous generation sets.

Panasonic sells a contrast enhancing and anti reflective add on screen filter for their commercial plasmas so they recognise the need, however at around $500 they an expensive addition.

Panasonics inaccurate primary colours and lack of calibration ability put them behind the Samsungs for overall picture quality IMHO, and their pricing is also not competitive which makes it difficult to recommend them.

Edited by Owen

I have just purchased a Panasonic 46PZ800 at Good Guys for $2500 with a 3 year warranty. Delivery Friday.

Originally was going to get a 42'' X10 from them for $1530 with 3 year warranty but thought that the panel size was too small and 50'' too large.

They realised that they had the 46PZ800 in their warehouse and I thought that I would be better off with this set.

I am now wondering if I should have held back until the S Series comes out???

I realize that the my purchase price is not the best but these PZ's are nearly cleared out.

Am having thoughts about holding back for the S series. :unsure:

I'm beginning to think that i'll be waiting a few months. Brand new models always cost more - i figure in 3 months there will be another sale, and the starting price will be lower.

15% off a Myer for a whole month though is appealing - plenty of time to decide. If only they would actually stock both TVs (The Sammy 650 and the Pana G10).

Owen, daytime viewing is not a particularly high concern for me - most of my quality watching happens at night. Daytime is for outdoors! :) Does this sway the balance at all? You obviously hold high regard for the Samsungs daytime viewing - but if that wasn't a concern what else tips the balance? The lower price and the greater configuration (though i'm not someone who's likely to spend a stupid amount of time trying to get it right) swing me toward the Sammy more than the daytime viewing.

It's so damned annoying that the G10 doesn't have THX. I'd simply pick it if it did. No fiddling with settings - all good. Idiots.

I have just purchased a Panasonic 46PZ800 at Good Guys for $2500 with a 3 year warranty. Delivery Friday.

Am having thoughts about holding back for the S series. :unsure:

I reckon you got a good TV for a reasonable price. When i eventually decide, i will not come to these forums or read reviews for months and months - second guessing/buyers remorse is a terrible thing. Just go home and enjoy it - most people have inferior sets to that one so just be happy :)

I'm beginning to think that i'll be waiting a few months. Brand new models always cost more - i figure in 3 months there will be another sale, and the starting price will be lower.

15% off a Myer for a whole month though is appealing - plenty of time to decide. If only they would actually stock both TVs (The Sammy 650 and the Pana G10).

Owen, daytime viewing is not a particularly high concern for me - most of my quality watching happens at night. Daytime is for outdoors! :) Does this sway the balance at all? You obviously hold high regard for the Samsungs daytime viewing - but if that wasn't a concern what else tips the balance? The lower price and the greater configuration (though i'm not someone who's likely to spend a stupid amount of time trying to get it right) swing me toward the Sammy more than the daytime viewing.

It's so damned annoying that the G10 doesn't have THX. I'd simply pick it if it did. No fiddling with settings - all good. Idiots.

Unless you view in the dark or with dim lighting there is “significant” ambient light, significant enough to degrade or eliminate the black level advantage of the Panasonics. It’s not just a daytime issue.

THX mode on the Panasonics is no “magic bullet”, especially on the G series, Cinema mode with a couple of adjustments is much the same thing.

If you want something more accurate buy a Samsung and put it in Cinema/Movie mode with the Warm 2 colour preset.

The US “G” series Panasonic has a “THX” mode but does not have Gamma adjustment. The European model has no “THX” mode but does have Gamma adjustment. Anyone know if the Oz version has Gamma adjustment?

Unless you view in the dark or with dim lighting there is “significant” ambient light, significant enough to degrade or eliminate the black level advantage of the Panasonics. It’s not just a daytime issue.

THX mode on the Panasonics is no “magic bullet”, especially on the G series, Cinema mode with a couple of adjustments is much the same thing.

If you want something more accurate buy a Samsung and put it in Cinema/Movie mode with the Warm 2 colour preset.

The US “G” series Panasonic has a “THX” mode but does not have Gamma adjustment. The European model has no “THX” mode but does have Gamma adjustment. Anyone know if the Oz version has Gamma adjustment?

What does the gamma adjustment do Owen?

For the record, I'm leaning towards the PS58B550, or the PS50B650.

If you were laying down your "hard earned", what tv under about $3700 would you buy right now Owen? (Any brand)

Unlike some others on here, I hold your opinions in high regard.

Cheers

Wags

Is the THP42G10A the way to go for a 42" display?

I view the TV from about 2.5-3m away, and want something sharp/crisp/vibrant.

How much should I be paying for it? I've seen it advertised for $2500, but someone claimed they got one for $2090.

Would I be best off waiting until the end of the month?

Thanks!

What does the gamma adjustment do Owen?

For the record, I'm leaning towards the PS58B550, or the PS50B650.

If you were laying down your "hard earned", what tv under about $3700 would you buy right now Owen? (Any brand)

Unlike some others on here, I hold your opinions in high regard.

Cheers

Wags

The “Brightness” control adjusts the black level, the “Contrast” control adjusts the peak white level, “Gamma” control adjusted the area in between without affecting the other two, its vital for getting “correct” shadow detail and an accurate image.

Black level, grey scale, gamma and colour gamut are the key factors in display calibration.

For $3700 you can’t go past the PS58B550 IMHO

Is the THP42G10A the way to go for a 42" display?

I view the TV from about 2.5-3m away, and want something sharp/crisp/vibrant.

How much should I be paying for it? I've seen it advertised for $2500, but someone claimed they got one for $2090.

Would I be best off waiting until the end of the month?

Thanks!

You can buy the PS50B650 50” Samsung for $2500 and the B550 for closer to $2000, I can’t see any point in a 42” Panasonic for that sort of cash.

A good question. There's absolutely no aussie reviews of either the pana or the sammy that i know of :(

I just did a quick look around the USA after reading another poster somewhere - the yanks are getting the 50g10 (with THX) for $1400-$1500 US. Now, factor in the dollar (20%) and *maybe* some higher tarrifs (i doubt it) and we should be seeing them for roughly $1700-$1800 or 2k at a stretch -- WTF?! :angry: The Samsung is $1300-$1400 US.

Even the prices of Panasonics old sets are still in the mid 2ks (here).

Edited by Recusant

You can buy the PS50B650 50” Samsung for $2500 and the B550 for closer to $2000, I can’t see any point in a 42” Panasonic for that sort of cash.

I was hoping to get it for around $2000, I won't spend $2500 on a TV.

My understanding was that Samsungs have a much higher return rate than Panasonic?

I reckon you got a good TV for a reasonable price. When i eventually decide, i will not come to these forums or read reviews for months and months - second guessing/buyers remorse is a terrible thing. Just go home and enjoy it - most people have inferior sets to that one so just be happy :)

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure that the TV will be stunning compared to my old Hitachi plasma.

I just did a quick look around the USA after reading another poster somewhere - the yanks are getting the 50g10 (with THX) for $1400-$1500 US. Now, factor in the dollar (20%) and *maybe* some higher tarrifs (i doubt it) and we should be seeing them for roughly $1700-$1800 or 2k at a stretch -- WTF?! :angry: The Samsung is $1300-$1400 US.

Even the prices of Panasonics old sets are still in the mid 2ks.

Its bloody thievery!

Even the prices of Panasonics old sets are still in the mid 2ks (here).

It's been going on for years. Comparing our prices to US prices is only asking for the blood pressure to rise. It is what it is....and not just limited to TVs

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure that the TV will be stunning compared to my old Hitachi plasma.

Which Hitachi did you have?

cheers

James

Which Hitachi did you have?

cheers

James

James,

I still have it : 42pd960dta, I posted on another thread that it would not switch on out of standby but a technician told my wife over the phone to give the panel a bash and it now works perfectly!.

That panel is still in my lounge and the Panasonic 46PZ800 (currently still boxed) will reside in my family room as soon as my lowline TV unit arrives on Tuesday.

The wait is torture!

On another subject, the new Panasonic blu-ray players are too dear for my iking ($440) and the local Good Guys have a display BD35 which they can do for $299.

I have searched other retailers for a BD35 to no avail, do you think that $299 is OK for a display model which HAS been used to run a display?

Sol

Edited by solly

I checked out Good Guys and Myer today.

Good Guys only had the 42" G-series, and they wanted $2500, but would sell for $2350.

Myer had the 46" G-Series (the one I want) for $2500. They could do $2400 if I bought the 3 year warranty for $300.

*sigh* stills seems too exy.

I had a bit of a look in HN last night - they had the A750 50" Sammy for $2795. Now, that's $700 cheaper than the Panasonic (though Myer has the 50" G at the same price atm with the 15% off sale).

The reflective frame on the Sammy is stupid though (and chunky. Sylish - but chunky).

It just seems that the Panasonic has outpriced themselves.

Edited by Recusant

Myer had the 46" G-Series (the one I want) for $2500. They could do $2400 if I bought the 3 year warranty for $300.

Tell me, are the extended warranties really worth it? I understand that some of them have some pretty unattractive conditions in the fine print.

Read some of the Sony threads and there are a few units failing just before and afetr the 12 month warranty period. Statutory Warranty should still prevail, but it's a tough battle if you go down that route