Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

Greetings fellow Aussies,

I have a couple of questions to ask and was wondering whether any kind soul out there could give me their advice on this.

I am looking at purchasing a new TV for my mother's bedroom and I am trying to decide between the for the PANASONIC TH-P42G10A and the TH-P42-S10A.

Based on the specifications mentioned on the AUSTRALIAN PANASONIC website, i compared those to that on the US PANASONIC website and discovered some discrepancies in their features.

First of all, Australia's TH-P42G10A is the equivalent of US's TC-P42G10 which isn't too much of a problem just a difference in the name, after hours of searching i don't believe they have the equivalent of the G15 series here in Australia.

Secondly, in the US's page, it is mentioned that the TVs (G10-series) are THX certified but this isn't advertised in the Australian version.

Thirdly, for the US model, they have this feature called the VIERA cast which also seems to be absent in the Australian version.

Fourthly, the S series (TH-P42S10A) in Australia doesn't seem to correspond to any of the S-models advertised in the US as it doesn't use the NEOPDP panel and it's subfield drive is only 550hz compared to the standard 600hz.

Finally, if i am able to purchase the australian TH-P42G10A for around AU$2000 OR the TH-P42S10A for AU$1700 would these be considered good deals and is the G series worth the extra AU$300 premium?

Thanks alot for any advice given.. Thanks!

*Just on a side note, is it just me or does Australia get watered down versions of the actual products offered elsewhere around the globe??? Meaning is our G10 series also inferior to the G10s elsewhere? Since the Australian S-series DOES seem inferior to that of the S-series elsewhere too!*

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Just on a side note, is it just me or does Australia get watered down versions of the actual products offered elsewhere around the globe??? Meaning is our G10 series also inferior to the G10s elsewhere? Since the Australian S-series DOES seem inferior to that of the S-series elsewhere too!*

Our G10 may be slightly inferior to the US version, but it is better than the UK version. The UK set is lacking gamma and white balance picture controls (from what I can remember).

Greetings fellow Aussies,

I have a couple of questions to ask and was wondering whether any kind soul out there could give me their advice on this.

I am looking at purchasing a new TV for my mother's bedroom and I am trying to decide between the for the PANASONIC TH-P42G10A and the TH-P42-S10A.

Based on the specifications mentioned on the AUSTRALIAN PANASONIC website, i compared those to that on the US PANASONIC website and discovered some discrepancies in their features.

First of all, Australia's TH-P42G10A is the equivalent of US's TC-P42G10 which isn't too much of a problem just a difference in the name, after hours of searching i don't believe they have the equivalent of the G15 series here in Australia.

Secondly, in the US's page, it is mentioned that the TVs (G10-series) are THX certified but this isn't advertised in the Australian version.

Thirdly, for the US model, they have this feature called the VIERA cast which also seems to be absent in the Australian version.

Fourthly, the S series (TH-P42S10A) in Australia doesn't seem to correspond to any of the S-models advertised in the US as it doesn't use the NEOPDP panel and it's subfield drive is only 550hz compared to the standard 600hz.

Finally, if i am able to purchase the australian TH-P42G10A for around AU$2000 OR the TH-P42S10A for AU$1700 would these be considered good deals and is the G series worth the extra AU$300 premium?

Thanks alot for any advice given.. Thanks!

Our G series is different to the US model. As you pointed out it doesn’t have THX or Viera Cast and some other minor things, but what it does have that the yanks don’t get is 24p at 96Hz which makes a big difference for BD/HD content. I have not seen any mention of us getting the G15 and if we do its likely to be a 2" think (mostly with a section that is 3.5") Aussie G10, nothing else. Our S series is also not the same as the US S, its more like the U series in the US. Pana Aus confirmed to me via email that both out S and G series has 24p at 96Hz. The G series will not be a lot different to our S10 in performance, slightly better blacks (in the immeasurable range) and slightly less power consumption but that’s about it. Is that worth $300, well, I doubt it. try looking at the S and G side-by-side and decide for yourself.

and slightly less power consumption but that’s about it. Is that worth $300, well, I doubt it.

You tend to wonder how much of a electricity cost saving the NeoPDP panels will be over the years. It might cost $300 more now, but save you $1000 in the long run... :huh:

How about a 50” “S” series in place of the 42” “G” series, they should be very close in price. It could save you wanting to buy a larger TV when you get used to the 42”.

You tend to wonder how much of a electricity cost saving the NeoPDP panels will be over the years. It might cost $300 more now, but save you $1000 in the long run... :huh:

Going to take a long time to rack up that kind of dollars.

Using the "Normal (Home) Mode" power spec for a 50G10 is 301W. 8 hours day/7 days a week is 878kWh/year or about $130 at 15c/kWh. So it will take 7 years to save $1000 if the other TV is never even turned on. If it's 20% more efficient, in about 35 years your $1000 will come into play. Really it's not worth the consideration.

You should be able to get it for $2900 with 5 years wty also.

Hi Bertz and everyone else.

I was able to get the P50G10 for $2,521 + $399 for extra 4 years warrantee - Total $2920 from Myer at Castle Hill in Sydney. Delivered in 4 days. Just need to change the settings to my liking. Not as sharp as I thought it would be. Maybe I just may have the wrong setup :( .

Ciao!

Hi Bertz and everyone else.

I was able to get the P50G10 for $2,521 + $399 for extra 4 years warrantee - Total $2920 from Myer at Castle Hill in Sydney. Delivered in 4 days. Just need to change the settings to my liking. Not as sharp as I thought it would be. Maybe I just may have the wrong setup :( .

Ciao!

The G10 softens interlaced SD content. This is a known issue with Panasonics. Basically you need to use external processing to avoid this SD softening (note, some folks find it worse than other folks).

Usage of an external upscaling PVR (Beyonwiz, Tivo, IQ2) or upconverting AVR (Onkyo, Denon) will avoid this issue.

With HD the G10 renders a very pleasant picture indeed (as most good HDTVs do).

Dennis.

Did something for the first time today.

Watch my G10 in strong daylight conditions (Channel 9 Sunday AFL Footy Show). I was expecting this to be bad......very gray blacks, strong reflections.

Totally watchable with surprisingly decent black.

The G-series does have an improved filter (compared with other Panasonics, e.g. X series).

Basically the G is not an embarrassment in these conditions (but there is still room for improvement).

Dennis.

Did something for the first time today.

Watch my G10 in strong daylight conditions (Channel 9 Sunday AFL Footy Show). I was expecting this to be bad......very gray blacks, strong reflections.

Totally watchable with surprisingly decent black.

The G-series does have an improved filter (compared with other Panasonics, e.g. X series).

Basically the G is not an embarrassment in these conditions (but there is still room for improvement).

Dennis.

I agree, I thought it would be worse than my CRT because of the size difference but have found that it is much better.

Hi there

I am considering buying the 42" g10 very soon and am now concerned a little about this softening of picture. Wondering if anyone can tell me if my Homecast HT8000 HDPVR will counter this issue (am not sure whether it upscales or not). The other thing i have noticed when looking at HDTV in store was that although i am pretty set on Panasonic g10 mainly via this forum comments and the price (with free wii) is that i have found the picture on it to look quite soft compared to others both plasma and LCD. Maybe it was the content etc (believe a dvd or One HD) but how adjustable are the settings etc. i must admit leaning back towards a LCD for the crisper picture.

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Phil :rolleyes:

P. S Any advice on Harvey Normans for price and extended warranty for forementioned g10. Is there warranty any good?

The G10 softens interlaced SD content. This is a known issue with Panasonics. Basically you need to use external processing to avoid this SD softening (note, some folks find it worse than other folks).

Usage of an external upscaling PVR (Beyonwiz, Tivo, IQ2) or upconverting AVR (Onkyo, Denon) will avoid this issue.

With HD the G10 renders a very pleasant picture indeed (as most good HDTVs do).

Dennis.

Hi there

I am considering buying the 42" g10 very soon and am now concerned a little about this softening of picture. Wondering if anyone can tell me if my Homecast HT8000 HDPVR will counter this issue (am not sure whether it upscales or not). The other thing i have noticed when looking at HDTV in store was that although i am pretty set on Panasonic g10 mainly via this forum comments and the price (with free wii) is that i have found the picture on it to look quite soft compared to others both plasma and LCD. Maybe it was the content etc (believe a dvd or One HD) but how adjustable are the settings etc. i must admit leaning back towards a LCD for the crisper picture.

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Phil :rolleyes:

P. S Any advice on Harvey Normans for price and extended warranty for forementioned g10. Is there warranty any good?

The Homecast HT8000 appears to be an upscaling PVR, you can set at 720p or 1080i (I believe). If that is the case then you will not encounter the G10 soft SD issue.

As for extreme sharpness. LCDs are better at this than plasmas. Plasma's (like CRTs) slightly blur the image. But, I find my G10 extremely sharp with excellent 1080p24 content. The extreme LCD sharpness (in my opinion) lends images a harsh digital edge (that is very very unforgiving especially with SD signals).

It all about personal choices.

I find no issues with sharpness with my G10 (to my eyes).

Dennis.

If that is the case then you will not encounter the G10 soft SD issue.

This issue is not massive in the scheme of things, but does exist.

It also affects all Panasonic plasmas so far released IME - not just the G10

The Homecast HT8000 appears to be an upscaling PVR, you can set at 720p or 1080i (I believe). If that is the case then you will not encounter the G10 soft SD issue.

As for extreme sharpness. LCDs are better at this than plasmas. Plasma's (like CRTs) slightly blur the image. But, I find my G10 extremely sharp with excellent 1080p24 content. The extreme LCD sharpness (in my opinion) lends images a harsh digital edge (that is very very unforgiving especially with SD signals).

It all about personal choices.

I find no issues with sharpness with my G10 (to my eyes).

Dennis.

Interestingly, I turned my 68cm CRT TV back on last week as I wanted to check that it was working before giving it to a friend. Quite simply, I was amazed at how smooth and warm the picture looked, made my 2 Plasma's and new LED/LCD look very sharp and harsh.

I forgot how good CRT actually was - not in pixels or resolution or contrasts ratios but just in "ease of watching"

Loving my G10.

So I watch the Planet Earth Blu-ray disk, the Mountains episode.

I nearly cried, that's how awesome the picture was. I am a complete sucker for fly-over type material, mountain scenery always wows me. I was WOW'd for sure.

Had my full 5.1 rig rumbling as well :D

Very happy chappy I was.

Dennis.

Loving my G10.

So I watch the Planet Earth Blu-ray disk, the Mountains episode.

I nearly cried, that's how awesome the picture was. I am a complete sucker for fly-over type material, mountain scenery always wows me. I was WOW'd for sure.

Had my full 5.1 rig rumbling as well :D

Very happy chappy I was.

Dennis.

I haven't had the Blu-ray experience yet, what player do you have?

I haven't had the Blu-ray experience yet, what player do you have?

Panasonic BD-35.

That model has been replaced by the BD-60.

Had my BD-35 modded for Blu-ray region free :D

Good model....just a little slow (and no bookmarking unfortunately).

Dennis.

The “Planet Earth” Bluray has fantastic content but as far as HD goes it is VERY ordinary, good HD is MUCH cleaner and clearer.

Agree totally if I'm correct all of BBC series in HD are in 1080i MPEG2 e.g. Galapagos

cheers laurie

That's not the issue at all, 1080i is just as good as 1080p and there is nothing wrong with Mpeg2 at Bluray data rates, the problem is the original source not the video format.

Edited by Owen

That's not the issue at all, 1080i is just as good as 1080p and there is nothing wrong with Mpeg2 at Bluray data rates, the problem is the original source not the video format.

So why does BBC HD on Foxtel looks good then?

cheers laurie

The “Planet Earth” Bluray has fantastic content but as far as HD goes it is VERY ordinary, good HD is MUCH cleaner and clearer.

?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/668/planetearth.html

5/5 is ordinary now??

I've seen around 100 movies and a handful of documentary's and p.e is some of the best hd I've seen. Its also mastered at 1080p/24fps (snow leopard extra in 720p) for the record. There is some off putting 'touch up' cgi and the sound track can be a little childish at times, other then that its still one of the best blu's available.

Back on topic how are the new panna's in regards to image retention, I have the model that's just been phased out and I notice static images retain quickly. Apparently LG and samsung have eliminated the i.r problem altogether, is this true?