Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you don't like the G series then? Mate paragraphing really helps.

Yeah,some good points buried in there somewhere though. The Panny. has a great picture but the new technologies that use less power will swamp Plasma in the Years ahead but as far as OLED and 3D TV go their talking telephone numbers for the 40" and upwards sizes so i think Plasma and LCD in particular will be around for a few Years yet.

I know its been predicted for the last couple of Years but we are about to be flooded with cheap Chinese LCD's,large 40' screens for a few hundred $'s.They will be the next electric drill but at the end of the Day how many TV's sets can a market absorb,OLED,SED etc will be trying to carve out a niche at the top end of a saturated market.

I was in at Tricky Dickie's yesterday in Springwood and saw the 42S10 and 50S10 for the first time. I was surprised that the panel does not look like some of the pics I have seen on the web which show the old PZ80 chassis and stand, instead it has the same kind of chassis and stand as the G10 but just a slightly thicker silver strip across the bottom of the bezel. 3 HDMI ports and I could not really see much of a difference between this panel and the Neo panel in terms of PQ and black levels to be honest. Neo panels may be more energy efficient and so thats a slight advantage, but PQ to my eyes doesn’t suffer much at all on the S10. Now if only someone can actually sort out the facts from the beliefs on the 96Hz question, we will all be better informed!

Hi All. First post, but I have been following all of your discussions over the past few months.

Based on all of the comments here and the price / features of the pana G10 series, I though I had landed on a 50" G10.

However, I've been looking at a few in stores lately and have noticed something odd.

To my eyes at least, I discern noticeable flicker on the panasonic plasma range, mainly when they are displaying a white screen, and it appears even more noticeable when viewed using peripheral vision.

I was looking at a wall of plasmas today, all displaying the same source (component - bluray and free to air), and noticed all three panas on display (G's & X) had flicker on pictures with heavy whites, whilst the other brands did not (LG, Pioneer, Sammy). I have noticed this in more than one store also.

Has anyone else noticed this, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

My G10 42" looks a heap better at home than in the shop. I was still happy with it in the shop, but I don't think the staff at Myer Brisbane are doing any of the sets any particular favours. The G10 42" is great, I would seriously try and see the G10 in an environment where the feed is half decent and the TV has been setup properly before deciding against it (you may still decide against it, all things considered).

I haven't noticed what you have seen, and I was extremely critical of flat panels in general until getting the G10 home.

So you don't like the G series then? Mate paragraphing really helps.

If you asking me, no not at all i have returned Panasonic G10 after 2 days of testing and I am more than happy to not hold any of this new imperfections technology, i am still happy with my king of the CRT-s Grundig lenaro 92cm (only if Grundig was able to make it with High definition CRt tube ) , if you asking me all new Panasonic series is el cheapo (much more like previous series pz800 pz850a regarding picture and design ) with picture quality and by design you can easy smell here effect made in china and how to produce cheap and as fast as possible get money on end you have final effect like many today TVs included lcds-s and plasmas, in my taste only some of latest Sonys lcds - like xbr46 and up and Z series have some nice picture with design and built quality especially on xbr45 from 46inch with rgb backlight best contrast I ever seen on lcd but even it has good view angle for one LCD still it is not good for my taste but that is limitation with LCD-s technology and cant be changed much, it will be like that till OLED TVs are out .

My G10 42" looks a heap better at home than in the shop. I was still happy with it in the shop, but I don't think the staff at Myer Brisbane are doing any of the sets any particular favours. The G10 42" is great, I would seriously try and see the G10 in an environment where the feed is half decent and the TV has been setup properly before deciding against it (you may still decide against it, all things considered).

I haven't noticed what you have seen, and I was extremely critical of flat panels in general until getting the G10 home.

This screen will not suit everyone (no display can).

But what Evan says is very true.

Fluoro lights (in stores) do the Panasonics no favours (LCDs do better here).

Dynamic Picture mode (as used by Panasonic in stores) is rubbish, it completely emphasizes MPG artifacts.

At home (in subdued lighting) with Cinema Picture mode, warm colour, sharpening off, IFC and all other crap turned off you do get a very natural picture. One that is very CRT like. I find LCDs just tooo processed, too digital. I want film to look like film (not video).

It is a fatigue free image (for my eyes). The 100Hz processing is benign (simple 50 frame doubling).

Blu-ray is handled superbly........whatever it does with 24p (hehehe).

Mild surprise for me is how watchable Foxtel SD is (yes, Foxtel SD is crap ...... I was fearing the worst). But I feed Foxtel into my Denon 1909, I let the DCDi chip convert that to 576p and feed that into the G42 via HDMI. It is quite acceptable, which is WAYYYYY better than I expected.

I'm liking this TV very much.

Dennis.

This screen will not suit everyone (no display can).

But what Evan says is very true.

Fluoro lights (in stores) do the Panasonics no favours (LCDs do better here).

Dynamic Picture mode (as used by Panasonic in stores) is rubbish, it completely emphasizes MPG artifacts.

At home (in subdued lighting) with Cinema Picture mode, warm colour, sharpening off, IFC and all other crap turned off you do get a very natural picture. One that is very CRT like. I find LCDs just tooo processed, too digital. I want film to look like film (not video).

It is a fatigue free image (for my eyes). The 100Hz processing is benign (simple 50 frame doubling).

Blu-ray is handled superbly........whatever it does with 24p (hehehe).

Mild surprise for me is how watchable Foxtel SD is (yes, Foxtel SD is crap ...... I was fearing the worst). But I feed Foxtel into my Denon 1909, I let the DCDi chip convert that to 576p and feed that into the G42 via HDMI. It is quite acceptable, which is WAYYYYY better than I expected.

I'm liking this TV very much.

Dennis.

Hi Dennis

I have just had my new 46" G10 delivered and am eagerly waiting to set it up tonight. I would be most grateful if you could post the best settings to setup the G10 with for standard foxtel.

My current setup is a SCART cable from the foxtel to a component connection into the back of the G10 (yellow, red & white).. less than ideal but I need to do a bit of research into what is the best bang for my buck to upgrade to (denon type receiver converting to 576p or foxtel IQ2 or something else… )

I would have thought though that even with foxtel IQ2, the non-HD channels will be the same as my current Foxtel IQ 1 setup… just not enough channels yet to justify the upgrade to IQ 2 at the moment..

Thanks for your help

Hopefully with the best settings, I will be happy with the quality of the SD foxtel for right now

Hi Dennis

I have just had my new 46" G10 delivered and am eagerly waiting to set it up tonight. I would be most grateful if you could post the best settings to setup the G10 with for standard foxtel.

My current setup is a SCART cable from the foxtel to a component connection into the back of the G10 (yellow, red & white).. less than ideal but I need to do a bit of research into what is the best bang for my buck to upgrade to (denon type receiver converting to 576p or foxtel IQ2 or something else… )

I would have thought though that even with foxtel IQ2, the non-HD channels will be the same as my current Foxtel IQ 1 setup… just not enough channels yet to justify the upgrade to IQ 2 at the moment..

Thanks for your help

Hopefully with the best settings, I will be happy with the quality of the SD foxtel for right now

My understanding is that the G-series sucks with interlace 576i or 480i, the Panasonic de-interlacer fuzzifies things (best to avoid it).

Try and send at a minimum 576p, the G-series has a decent scaler (from UK review).

That's why I send in 576p from my Denon 1909.

I do Foxtel --S-video--> Panasonic DVD-recorder --Component--> Denon 1909 --576p HDMI--> G-series Plasma.

I use something like the following settings:

Profile: Cinema

Contrast 36

Brightness: 0

Colour: 30

Sharpness: 0

Colour balance Warm

Colour management Off

x.v.Colour Off

Eco-mode Off

P-NR Off

Intelligent Frame Creation Off

W/B High red -2

W/B High blue 0

W/B Low red -4

W/B Low blue 0

Gamma 2.2

Note Foxtel IQ2 with High Definition content should be great.

Foxtel IQ will be SD....and sucky SD at that.

But if you lower your expectations then the G-series is watchable with Foxtel.

Dennis.

I can understand what you are saying about the fujitsu plasma, Ive owned a 42" now for 4 years and I must say the viewing pleasure has been great for me. But like most people

here seeing the new panasonic g series has got me thinking its time to upgrade, so its time to look for a new home for my fujitsu P42VHA40 plasma, if anyone here is intrested in buying

a great plasma panel for a mega cheap price send me a inbox mail and I'll give you all the details. 42" fujitsu plasma panel for under $1000 is a bargin for those that want a second or

cheaper option than buying brand new.

My understanding is that the G-series sucks with interlace 576i or 480i, the Panasonic de-interlacer fuzzifies things (best to avoid it).

Try and send at a minimum 576p, the G-series has a decent scaler (from UK review).

That's why I send in 576p from my Denon 1909.

I do Foxtel --S-video--> Panasonic DVD-recorder --Component--> Denon 1909 --576p HDMI--> G-series Plasma.

I use something like the following settings:

Profile: Cinema

Contrast 36

Brightness: 0

Colour: 30

Sharpness: 0

Colour balance Warm

Colour management Off

x.v.Colour Off

Eco-mode Off

P-NR Off

Intelligent Frame Creation Off

W/B High red -2

W/B High blue 0

W/B Low red -4

W/B Low blue 0

Gamma 2.2

Note Foxtel IQ2 with High Definition content should be great.

Foxtel IQ will be SD....and sucky SD at that.

But if you lower your expectations then the G-series is watchable with Foxtel.

Dennis.

Thank you for your quick response to my post..

I am interested in trying to get a budget solution for converting SD foxtel to 576p - essentially what your denon av receiver is doing but without the price tag as I have just spent $2700 on the 46” G10 !

I have found a Panasonic 1080p upconverting DVD player (DVD S54) for around $170.. Will this only convert a dvd to 576p or 1080p or can it also up convert the foxtel signal ?

I am currently using an LG home theatre system which is a few years old and doesn’t have a HDMI output.

Thank you for your quick response to my post..

I am interested in trying to get a budget solution for converting SD foxtel to 576p - essentially what your denon av receiver is doing but without the price tag as I have just spent $2700 on the 46” G10 !

I have found a Panasonic 1080p upconverting DVD player (DVD S54) for around $170.. Will this only convert a dvd to 576p or 1080p or can it also up convert the foxtel signal ?

I am currently using an LG home theatre system which is a few years old and doesn’t have a HDMI output.

Jon,

Your Panasonic DVD player will not upconvert external signals (only internal DVDs).

Honestly, with your current setup I would just feed your Foxtel signal into the G-series. Sometimes we over-concern ourselves. You may find the result acceptable.

But I will say I'm very pleased with the result of Foxtel ---> Denon ---> 576p ---> Panasonic G-series.

Content such as "Brothers & Sisters" and "Footy Classified" last night (via Foxtel/Denon) were very reasonable (this was mearly a test, useally such content would be viewed via the internal tuner).

Pssst, hopefully you can save up some money for a Denon or Onkyo receiver, then some killer speakers, then a sub, etc etc :) :)

Oops, before I forget, you MUST MUST get a Blu-ray player. The results are AMAZING, full HD in all it's glory. DVD will look like low-quality YouTube after you see Blu-ray content.

Dennis (it's easy to spend other peoples money, hehehe).

Jon,

Your Panasonic DVD player will not upconvert external signals (only internal DVDs).

Honestly, with your current setup I would just feed your Foxtel signal into the G-series. Sometimes we over-concern ourselves. You may find the result acceptable.

But I will say I'm very pleased with the result of Foxtel ---> Denon ---> 576p ---> Panasonic G-series.

Content such as "Brothers & Sisters" and "Footy Classified" last night (via Foxtel/Denon) were very reasonable (this was mearly a test, useally such content would be viewed via the internal tuner).

Pssst, hopefully you can save up some money for a Denon or Onkyo receiver, then some killer speakers, then a sub, etc etc :) :)

Oops, before I forget, you MUST MUST get a Blu-ray player. The results are AMAZING, full HD in all it's glory. DVD will look like low-quality YouTube after you see Blu-ray content.

Dennis (it's easy to spend other peoples money, hehehe).

Hi Dennis,

I saw in the other thread you don't know the answer to my questions (which I was going to re-ask here). I will put my questions to this forum as I think it is a lot more visible/traffic'd.

Questions:

1) should any input coming in over component have its resolution reported by the G10 Panasonic plasma?

2) is there a way to have FTA signal's resolution reported by the G10 Panasonic plasma?

Thanks.

Evan.

Hi Dennis,

I saw in the other thread you don't know the answer to my questions (which I was going to re-ask here). I will put my questions to this forum as I think it is a lot more visible/traffic'd.

Questions:

1) should any input coming in over component have its resolution reported by the G10 Panasonic plasma?

2) is there a way to have FTA signal's resolution reported by the G10 Panasonic plasma?

Thanks.

Evan.

Thanks Dennis

After spending a few hours watching SD foxtel on your recommended settings, I have to say I am very happy with the picture.

The upgrade from my old crt tv to the 46" G10 is very pleasing indeed..

I will certainly spend a bit of time researching the next upgrade.. a blu ray DVD player & home theatre system..

Thanks for your advice

Considering that it appears from many reports that the Aussie G10 runs 24p at 96Hz (not officially confirmed yet), what would be the chances of the Aussie S10 running 24p at 96Hz? I know the S10 doesnt have the Neo panel, but it will be availble in 54" and if it does do the 96Hz think without flicker then its a real option. But I am probably dreaming!

Is there anyone with a 42 or 50 S10 that can look into this? They are on sale at Dick Smith now.

Edited by Bertzz

Considering that it appears from many reports that the Aussie G10 runs 24p at 96Hz (not officially confirmed yet), what would be the chances of the Aussie S10 running 24p at 96Hz? I know the S10 doesnt have the Neo panel, but it will be availble in 54" and if it does do the 96Hz think without flicker then its a real option. But I am probably dreaming!

Is there anyone with a 42 or 50 S10 that can look into this? They are on sale at Dick Smith now.

You were considering a V-series before Bertzz.

The S-series is a definite downgrade from the V-series, the S is basically last years panel (not Neo).

I think you should stick with a V-series (or G-series if that meets your needs). Best avoid the S, it's the cheapie (1080p cheapie) in Panasonics range for a reason. You don't want buyers remorse.

Dennis.

You were considering a V-series before Bertzz.

The S-series is a definite downgrade from the V-series, the S is basically last years panel (not Neo).

I think you should stick with a V-series (or G-series if that meets your needs). Best avoid the S, it's the cheapie (1080p cheapie) in Panasonics range for a reason. You don't want buyers remorse.

Dennis.

Yeah I was only considering the V10 because of 96hz 24p and I dont know if we will get a 54V10 but expect not. I know we wont get a 54G10 but we will get the 54S10 in October. G10 is the pick of the bunch at the moment but if S10 does 96 hz it would be worth considering the 54S10 over a 50G10 notwithstanding its last years panel. Too many choices hey!

Yeah I was only considering the V10 because of 96hz 24p and I dont know if we will get a 54V10 but expect not. I know we wont get a 54G10 but we will get the 54S10 in October. G10 is the pick of the bunch at the moment but if S10 does 96 hz it would be worth considering the 54S10 over a 50G10 notwithstanding its last years panel. Too many choices hey!

Since your in the 50inch plus market you should also stick the new Samsung plasmas on your radar too (to add to your headaches). Something like the PS58B850 would be a killer display.....probably real expensive too :)

Honestly, I wouldn't consider the S-series. It's like last years left-overs, you don't want that do you?

Dennis.

Since your in the 50inch plus market you should also stick the new Samsung plasmas on your radar too (to add to your headaches). Something like the PS58B850 would be a killer display.....probably real expensive too :)

Honestly, I wouldn't consider the S-series. It's like last years left-overs, you don't want that do you?

Dennis.

Yes the PS58B850 was under consideration but the price is a shade under $5K, which I estimate to be quite a bit more than the 54S10 will be once prices settle back to where they can sustain a growing market. The Sammy PS50B650 (at about $2.5K) is very high up on my list and the only reason I have not bought one or ruled it out is because nobody seems to have them on the floor yet, they are special order.

Yes the PS58B850 was under consideration but the price is a shade under $5K, which I estimate to be quite a bit more than the 54S10 will be once prices settle back to where they can sustain a growing market. The Sammy PS50B650 (at about $2.5K) is very high up on my list and the only reason I have not bought one or ruled it out is because nobody seems to have them on the floor yet, they are special order.

I'm pretty sure JB Hifi McGregor have a PS50B650 on display. Had a walk around there on Monday.

If your considering a PS50B650, then a 50G10 should be on your list to. They are going at around $2.5K at the moment as well.

My belief is the features that a 50inch V-series will have over a 50inch G-series are

* Nicer design

* THX colour

* Cinema smooth mode (which you'll want to disable anyway, silly interp modes suck).

Noting, Australia different to US Panasonic model wise.

Dennis.

I haven't found a review of the Australian G10 so I was hoping someone could comment. A review of the UK model said that it did not deinterlace film source properly.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-t...20090415146.htm

Has anyone got any comment on this?

Has anyone had a critical look at how the G10 displays 1080i film source ?

For me this is a serious limitation.

I haven't found a review of the Australian G10 so I was hoping someone could comment. A review of the UK model said that it did not deinterlace film source properly.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-t...20090415146.htm

Has anyone got any comment on this?

Has anyone had a critical look at how the G10 displays 1080i film source ?

For me this is a serious limitation.

I have a G10 and willing to check. Just don't know how to :unsure: