Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

Tell me, are the extended warranties really worth it? I understand that some of them have some pretty unattractive conditions in the fine print.

I have always felt that getting the extended warranty directly through panasonic is better (using the form that comes in the bag with the instruction manual), than via the retailer even though the latter is often cheaper. I had a panasonic VCR way back that required multiple repairs when it was 4 yes old and there was no hassle or talK of a 'cap' via panasonic's extended warranty . However others may have had different experiences.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about extended warranties is this: Lets say it dies after 3 years, chances are the technology has moved on at similar/affordable prices (like 720p -> 1080p or DVD -> bluray or ethernet addition, or DTS-HD, or wireless, or 'just better'). It's a gamble, sure, but i would generally not bother with the extended warranty. The broken set is the motivation to upgrade :)

I would be angry as hell if my TV died after 2-3 years - i expect a good 5+ years of complete trouble-free operation (i used to expect much more, but it seems the quality has gone down while the complexity has gone up).

On contemplation - i'd expect 10+ years - i'm not a heavy TV user.

Does anyone in the know (insider) have a good idea of how the Australian models line up with the US or European models. I am confused. My best guess is that our S10 lines up with the US U1, the G10 lines up with the US S1 and that must mean that our V10 lines up with the US G10, Which means that we dont get the real V10 (US version) here at all. Please help with some further insight!!!!

I have always felt that getting the extended warranty directly through panasonic is better (using the form that comes in the bag with the instruction manual

The Panasonic extended warranty does come at a premium price. Try $1000 for 5 year extended warranty on a 50 inch plasma that cost less than $3000 to purchase.

Does anyone in the know (insider) have a good idea of how the Australian models line up with the US or European models. I am confused. My best guess is that our S10 lines up with the US U1, the G10 lines up with the US S1 and that must mean that our V10 lines up with the US G10, Which means that we dont get the real V10 (US version) here at all. Please help with some further insight!!!!

Have a look here - http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/index_asia.html

About half way down they have the Product Information and select the different region you wish to see the different models

The Panasonic extended warranty does come at a premium price. Try $1000 for 5 year extended warranty on a 50 inch plasma that cost less than $3000 to purchase.

The extended warranty can be negotiated. I paid nothing like that on 5 yrs extended warranty for a 58" plasma at HN.

Here is a curly question for new TV purchases. Has anyone been bold enough to claim a portion of it on TAX for work related purposes? If you worked in IT you could claim it was a BIG visual display monitor as it has all the right plugs, etc...

Just curious on people's thoughts.

Here is a curly question for new TV purchases. Has anyone been bold enough to claim a portion of it on TAX for work related purposes? If you worked in IT you could claim it was a BIG visual display monitor as it has all the right plugs, etc...

John Farnham may know!!!,my ex-BIL did that around 2003-4 when Plasmas were around $10,000, claimed it as part of his Home Office along with a percentage of his mortgage,ended up in all sorts of strife with the ATO,they must have a computer programme that highlights claims like that.

Dodgy. If i were the tax man i'd take that expense on.

Handy link, thanks.

It's a real shame that the G series costs SO much more here, yet doesn't have THX. The V series is going to be prohibitavely expensive i expect.

..and still no reviews of the G or V series, nor the Samsung competition. Very annoying - why is the Australian media so slow? I've pretty much decided to hold off until:

a. There's a significant price drop and i just take the plunge (Sammy or Panna?).

b. There's some bloody reviews so i can finally make up my mind.

c. The economy collapses and either can be had cheap :)

FYI, the G 42" can be had for $1999 and G 46" can be had for $2400...at MYERS Chatswood.

Yep, I purchased my G-42 (last Sunday 14th) for a just under $2,000 (Myer, Doncaster, Melb).

Got it delivered two days later.

At the moment I think Myer is a very reasonable place to purchase these sets from. I'd avoid JB and DJ.

Dennis.

Seems to me that we dont get the neo panel in the S series here. Can someone confirm this.

Felix

I dont believe we get the neo panel in the S series here. Our S series seems to be more like the US U series with a few other features. Our G10 appears to be similar to the US S1 and thus we will not be getting any set that is similar to the US G10 (with THX) unless we get the G15 which is unclear at this time. Our V10 appears to be similar to the US V10, so that should not be too much of a disappointment apart from the price which is likely to be too high.

Comparing S and G and V between us and the US is likely to result in confusion :)

Our S series is not NeoPDP.

What does that mean?

S series misses out on brightness improvement of NeoPDP (very obvious to me in comparing G vs S).

S series does not have 600Hz processing (550 I think).

S series does not have the same contrast as the G series.

Personally I would advise against getting an S series model.

Save up and get the G series, it's well worth it.

As for THX, our G series does not have it. But I don't consider that a big loss.

Our G series does have "Gamma Control" AND advanced High/Low Red/Blue control (but not green).

Basically, you can calibrate an Aussie G-Series quite close to standard 6500K, 2.2 Gamma, fairly accurate colour. The Brits can't do it (since their G-series is crippled) and the Yanks can't either (I don't think they have Gamma control, hmmm, I "could" be wrong).

Anyway, that's what I know.

Dennis.

Hi, can someone tell me what the advantages/differences of the neo panel are?

Improvements in brightness mainly (can compete with LCD on show-room floor).

Incremental improvement in contrast.

Lower power consumption than equivalent non-neoPDP of previous revisions.

G-series is neoPDP.

S-series in not neoPDP.

Get the G-series every time!

Dennis.

Our G series does have "Gamma Control" AND advanced High/Low Red/Blue control (but not green).

Basically, you can calibrate an Aussie G-Series quite close to standard 6500K, 2.2 Gamma, fairly accurate colour.

Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Do you have one of these sets? How easy is it to get to the controls you mention? A criticism levelled at the Panasonics is the lack of controls.

Basically, you can calibrate an Aussie G-Series quite close to standard 6500K, 2.2 Gamma, fairly accurate colour. The Brits can't do it (since their G-series is crippled) and the Yanks can't either (I don't think they have Gamma control, hmmm, I "could" be wrong).

Anyway, that's what I know.

Dennis.

Reading the downloadable manual, it seemed to me that unless i missed something, these controls were only for VGA/ PC input (although it seemed odd to me that these controls would be available for PC but not other inputs). Can anyone who actually owns one of these TVs confirm the availability of these controls for all inputs?

Edited by complectus

Hi Dennis,

Do you have one of these sets? How easy is it to get to the controls you mention? A criticism levelled at the Panasonics is the lack of controls.

Gamma and R/B High/Low colour control are User Level controls (for Normal and Cinema modes).

Note the Brits do NOT!!! have these controls, so when you read the AVS-UK/hdtvtest.co.uk G-series reviews please take note that the Aussie G-series do have these extra controls.

This is important since you can get close to 6500K/2.2-Gamma via User level Picture controls.

Yes, I own a G-series panel.

Dennis.