Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

I'm torn between 3 things - the Samsung 50" (which series??), the Pana 50" (probably G) and the Pana 46" (no Samsung :( ) I really don't know which way to go.

Also - i'm concerned about the quality of SD on these TVs, i sit between 3-3.5m away and the reviews i have read are not particularly good in that respect. Maybe the 46" is the better option :/

I own a Pana 46" G series Plasma and I sit approx 3.5m from the TV and couldn't be happier. I evaluated hard on the 50" but in my case I found it to be bigger than optimal. All channels are great...especially so the HD ones. I have Foxtel so I mostly view SD content. Some channels are great while some are not that great. Basically, channels with older shows obviously don't show very well (too soft) while ARENA, LifeStyle, Channel V, few of the Discovery / Nat Geo show very well.

cheers and good luck with your decision.

Edited by Godzilla

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya, I'm gathering from several of your recent posts, that you believe the Samsungs to be the better option. What leads you to that conclusion (other than the above comments). Do you have reviews that back up your opinion? * note * I am not questioning the accuracy of your opinions (if i am reading them right), i just want as much info as possible before making a decision. This TV purchase is a big deal for me, i intend it to last me as long as the TV does (i do not upgrade until the TV is broken).

I'm torn between 3 things - the Samsung 50" (which series??), the Pana 50" (probably G) and the Pana 46" (no Samsung :( ) I really don't know which way to go.

Also - i'm concerned about the quality of SD on these TVs, i sit between 3-3.5m away and the reviews i have read are not particularly good in that respect. Maybe the 46" is the better option :/

Hi Recusant,

If you want my thoughts on my experience to date, the best panel I have seen is the soon to be outgoing Panasonic TH50PZ850A. The panel and the picture were stunning. And it's a 50" as you need. And the last one to be fully assembled in Japan, they are now going to be assembled in China.

I desperately want to like the G series Pana but it is quite dull, and the bezel looks a bit cheap and plasticky.

Sorry to all the new owners of the new panel! I don't want to offend, it's just my humble opinion.

I saw quite a few panels at GG Taren Point (Sydney), and the 'old' Pana was the best by far. In fact they sold one while I was there to another couple.

They can still get their hands on 3 more brand new boxed TV's if you end up being keen. Though the one problem is the price. Ticket price is $3,757 and reading the thread on that panel (and the 800A which is gone baby gone), it's pretty high. Bluebella saw one at HN Garden City for $2,800 brand new boxed.

It's too big for my needs, I only need a bedroom telly. Otherwise I would buy this one.

All the best.

Typhoon.

I desperately want to like the G series Pana but it is quite dull, and the bezel looks a bit cheap and plasticky.

Sorry to all the new owners of the new panel! I don't want to offend, it's just my humble opinion.

I need to apologise. Saw the G series in Myer Parramatta today and it looked lovely. Not dull at all. Didn't have time to check out why (ie what setting they were using), but the pic was very pleasing (whereas previously found it a big turn-off). And you could tell you could probably tweak it a bit and get even better.

Cheers.

If you predominantly view in the dark the Panasonic G series is a good option, however a Pioneer Kuro would be MUCH better. For any other viewing environment the Samsungs are a better option as far as I can see, with the B650 the best back for buck.

The 58B550 Samsung offers a compelling size, quality, cost compromise that nothing else can touch IMHO.

Rather then take my or anyone else’s word, do some research on good settings for the Panasonics and Samsungs at AVS forum make your own assessment using those settings. The default setup for Samsungs is particularly poor; don’t make any judgments based on them.

A 46” is really not a worthwhile investment, buy a 50” or bigger, you will never regret it.

Thanks Owen, i've been reading up as much as i can find (nothing in Oz, all overseas material - which sux). There doesn't seem to be much in it at all. I have yet to see the B650 in person so i can't comment. Also, i don't trust the store settings and i don't know enough to change the settings to more 'suitable' settings.

The 50" Panasonic in the store seemed to have some artifacts in the sky (blu-ray demo) that i didn't like at all. The 46" was playing SDTV - so looked pretty bad. I couldn't compare. Shame stores don't know how to set the up next to each other to better decide.

The 50" playing a Top Gear DVD was pretty horrible really - night-time footage was poor to say the least. But i've read the Sammys are no better :(

I own a Pana 46" G series Plasma and I sit approx 3.5m from the TV and couldn't be happier. I evaluated hard on the 50" but in my case I found it to be bigger than optimal. All channels are great...especially so the HD ones. I have Foxtel so I mostly view SD content. Some channels are great while some are not that great. Basically, channels with older shows obviously don't show very well (too soft) while ARENA, LifeStyle, Channel V, few of the Discovery / Nat Geo show very well.

Thanks - from what i saw on the bluray demo disc, the 50" had some artifacts (whatever they are) in the sky on some scenes. The faces/movement was very, very good. But that artifact thing on more "solid" areas of colour concerned me - maybe the settings are just set too.. wrong :)

I suspect at my viewing distance, 3-3.5m (or 3.5-4m if i hang it on the wall) the 46" might be better - but err, smaller. I want to see Lord Of The Rings in as much glory as possible! (when it finally comes out on bluray), but i don't like those 'artifacts'.

Also - SD "Top Gear" that i asked to be demo'd was poor. And the night scenes (as i mention earlier) were, frankly, terrible. What does this mean for my DVD collection?! Especially when several titles haven't been bluray'd (and may never be).

Man, only 3 options (a record low) and yet the decision is SO HARD! :P

If you want my thoughts on my experience to date, the best panel I have seen is the soon to be outgoing Panasonic TH50PZ850A. The panel and the picture were stunning. And it's a 50" as you need. And the last one to be fully assembled in Japan, they are now going to be assembled in China.

..and you know what - if i knew what i was doing about 1 month ago - i had that option. The local Good Guys had it for about 3k.

They can still get their hands on 3 more brand new boxed TV's if you end up being keen. Though the one problem is the price. Ticket price is $3,757 and reading the thread on that panel (and the 800A which is gone baby gone), it's pretty high. Bluebella saw one at HN Garden City for $2,800 brand new boxed.

I can still get the 800 i think, at about $2600 (not positive). But why would i get that over the new 'G' for only a little more?

Thanks for your input, Typhoon (cool WW2 vintage fighter-bomber name) :P

Godzilla, how are you finding the new G TV? Are there any great/not so great points of note?

Godzilla, how are you finding the new G TV? Are there any great/not so great points of note?

I don't believe I am saying this, but, I can't fault the TV. I bought a $6 analogue antenna from a chinese shop and have tuned the HD channels. and guess what...they are fantastic! One HD, 7, 9 and Ten digital channels are great...some others have a weak signal that creates noise. I am now getting a signal booster so that should help.

My living room is prety well lit...abt 10 downlights from the ceiling and 2 large floor lamps. When i watch the TV, I only have the 2 floor lamps (yellow lights) switched on and its great. Even when I switch on the downlights, there is not a single reflection of the plasma screen...I guess because of the anti-glare screen plus also because the lights are not at level with the tv.

The TV is placed in front of a large window and there is also another large window in my kitchen (facing the TV) due to open plan of the house. On Sunday afternoon, i could see some reflection of the dining room window. I then spread the curtains and thereafter the reflection was zero. During the day, the window behind the TV (<0.5m distance) is always open and the TV works fine with light coming in. During the night, I have tried extreme dark and ambient lighting conditions and it comes up trumps in all situations.

I don't have Blu-ray player and my current DVD player doesn't have upscaling capability. Yet, movie watching experience has been superb. Best part is there is no lag or jerk in fast moving scenes...the primary reason why I decided for a plasma. I use Normal picture mode for TV and Cinema mode for movies and I don't feel the need to change any settings.

The PQ on G series is very natural...and I can't stress enough how important it is. I was preparing for headaches when switching from 29" to 46" but there is none of that. I guess this is a problem with some LCDs due to the extra sharp and bright images, unless the settings are properly calibrated.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Godzilla

That's fantastic to hear. My loungeroom/dining stretch to either side of the house, and between windows and sliding doors, I also have alot of light in the room (when the blinds are open!). It's great to hear the TV doesn't miss a beat, the glass really doesn't reflect the light and ruin the picture. Now all I want is for Panasonic to deliver my plasma. I'm gettiing awfully anxious......!

I must say, i REALLY want the 50" (so i have the choice between the G10 and the Sammy), but i dropped in quickly today and i could see feint artifacts in the solid colours (like the sky). I stood back a little and they were imperceptable.

Some of the demos were better than others - Pirates 3 looked great, while Pearl Harbour (i think) looked too 'grainy'.

This leads me to think the 46" would be better - but the 'experts' say otherwise. Is there something i'm missing - do others think that its just down to the settings? I haven't had time to fiddle with settings in the store.

Film is by nature grainy; it’s easy to see in a cinema, why would you expect to see less or no grain on film source when displayed on your TV?

I know this is a Panasonic thread, but to be brutally honest people are kidding themselves if they think the Panasonics are an ideal choice for a viewing environment with significant ambient light.

Probably a dumb question, but as the G no longer has THX, and is neutered in the adjustments department - why buy it over the S or X (or a Samsung for that matter)?

I'm beginning to wonder why i'm thinking of spending the extra dollars.

Edited by Recusant

Film is by nature grainy; it’s easy to see in a cinema, why would you expect to see less or no grain on film source when displayed on your TV?

I suspect the WW2 carrier scene with fighters was entirely CGI, but i get your point. However, i don't want to see the grains i saw - it was distracting and IMO unnatural. It reminded me of too much compression in DVDs, but it didn't look the same - but the same kind of distraction.

I know this is a Panasonic thread, but to be brutally honest people are kidding themselves if they think the Panasonics are an ideal choice for a viewing environment with significant ambient light.

What does the Samsung do that makes it superior in this respect? I've heard it has a single piece of glass for the B750+ (although i'm more likely to get a B650). I've also read that this new generation of Panasonics has excellent brightness - much improved over previous models.

Edited by Recusant

I suspect the WW2 carrier scene with fighters was entirely CGI, but i get your point. However, i don't want to see the grains i saw - it was distracting and IMO unnatural. It reminded me of too much compression in DVDs, but it didn't look the same - but the same kind of distraction.

Even if the scene was CGI grain will have been added to make it blend in with the film source.

Unfortunately flat panels will never provide a film like viewing experience.

What does the Samsung do that makes it superior in this respect? I've heard it has a single piece of glass for the B750+ (although i'm more likely to get a B650). I've also read that this new generation of Panasonics has excellent brightness - much improved over previous models.

The better Samsungs have effective screen filtering that helps prevent ambient light from illuminating the underlying grey phosphor layer of the panel degrading contrast and black level. If you look at a Panasonic and a B650 or better Samsung when switched off its clear the Samsungs reject ambient light much better.

Owen, that's very immature of you to claim. If people on this thread were as close minded as you, they would be saying the PQ with G series plasma is HEAPS better than comparable Sammys. However, everyone here realises PQ is very personal and subjective. Thus, no one here claims Pana is better than Sammy or vice-versa. There are various settings to suit an individual's taste and that's all that matters when making a decision :)

What on earth makes you think my mind is closed; you obviously have not been reading my posts over the years, as I have long been a Panasonic advocate. I call em as I see em.

The screen filter issue I am talking about is anything but subjective, it’s should be obvious to anyone who cares to look. Display settings cannot make any difference to the situation.

Edited by Owen

Even if the scene was CGI grain will have been added to make it blend in with the film source.

Unfortunately flat panels will never provide a film like viewing experience.

The better Samsungs have effective screen filtering that helps prevent ambient light from illuminating the underlying grey phosphor layer of the panel degrading contrast and black level. If you look at a Panasonic and a B650 or better Samsung when switched off its clear the Samsungs reject ambient light much better.

Not to be rude, just perhaps a tad ignorant, but what does it matter what ANY brand does with ambient light when it is switched off?

What on earth makes you think my mind is closed; you obviously have not been reading my posts over the years, as I have long been a Panasonic advocate. I call em as I see em.

The screen filter issue I am talking about is anything but subjective, it’s should be obvious to anyone who cares to look. Display settings cannot make any difference to the situation.

What I've noticed from reading your posts over the years is that you talk up, to an almost ludicrous extent, the hardware that you own. You do own a Samsung plasma, don't you? Apologies if I'm wrong on that, but we definitely seem to be heading down a path we've been down before with you. I stopped reading anything about Sony SXRD here because of your unrestrained proselytizing & it seems a similar fate awaits us again.

I think your mind closes the second your chequebook opens.

The other thing I've noticed over the years is your annoying & constant misuse of "then" instead of "than"...

Edited by complectus

Your posts mate...you seem like the guy in the group who just wants to take over all conversations by loudly claiming something. Even when responding to my post, you are CLAIMING "The screen filter issue I am talking about is anything but subjective, it’s should be obvious to anyone who cares to look." LOL...you are unbelievable

Owen is right.

When you talk about a hdtv coping with ambient light, "Anti-Glare" and "Preserving Black Level" are two different things.

From what I've been reading, the new Panasonics have good ant-reflective screens but don't preserve black level very well in a bright room.

The other thing I don't like about the Pannys is the lack of control in the setup Menu compared to say, a Samsung plasma.

So I'm really looking forward to comparing a Panny G10/V10 to a Samsung B650/B680/B850 plasma.

What I've noticed from reading your posts over the years is that you talk up, to an almost ludicrous extent, the hardware that you own. You do own a Samsung plasma, don't you? Apologies if I'm wrong on that, but we definitely seem to be heading down a path we've been down before with you. I stopped reading anything about Sony SXRD here because of your unrestrained proselytizing & it seems a similar fate awaits us again.

I think your mind closes the second your chequebook opens.

The other thing I've noticed over the years is your annoying & constant misuse of "then" instead of "than"...

I don’t own a Samsung TV, nor does anyone I know to the best of my knowledge, actually I don’t own a Samsung product of any kind and never have.

I have had many kind words to say about Panasonic plasmas over the years and pretty much universally recommended them until recently. Both my father and a friend have Panasonic plasmas at my suggestion. I don’t think you will find many posts where I have recommended an SXRD, even when they were available.

Your notion that I only advocate brands-products that I own has no basis in truth.

As for my “annoying & constant misuse of "then" instead of "than"...” well I’m sorry it bothers you so much mate, I will endeavour to be more careful in future . Me thinks you are gripping on too tight if little things like that get to you. :D

Owen, what are your reasons for not recommending Panasonic Plasmas any longer? If it is an issue with black levels in brightly lit rooms, are you going to say the latest generation of panels are inferior to past models in this regard? Curious to hear your answer. :D

Edited by digitalhome