Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the reports from CES and the Pioneer Kuro technology I'd say the new panels will be a lot more sexier, thinner and have very nice blacks bordering on perfect. The current HD panels really do produce a great picture so its hard to imagine the picture quality improving by a great margin.

If prices stayed the same with the new panels it would be amazing, I think Panasonic Australia will use the refresh as a chance to re-establish price points, giving the street prices are generally a lot lower than the RRP.

Personally I am going to buy a current panel as I know how good the picture quality is and I am happy with the price and Blu Ray promo. Someone who already has a flat panel I'd suggest waiting for the new models as they will be good enough and advanced enough to warrant upgrading.

I agree the latest panasonic and even older panels are very good. I jumped generations from a Panasonic 28 inch 4:3 CRT to a 50 inch PZ700 and am amazed at how good it is. I only paid $2600 at the time for it and am still happy with the deal. I installed my own new larger antennae (spelling?) and replaced all the connections to F9 and also ran new quad shield co ax. I am sure this makes a real difference to FTA tv. One bit of advice I have from my own experience is buy the biggest panel you can afford at the time as you get used to the size so quick. After only a couple of weeks my 50 inch looked to me like my old 28 inch. My next panel will be at least 60 inch plus. All imho.

cheers Brad

The Neo Panasonics don't seem to save that much power after all and they still don't fair too well in bright rooms.

After calibration to equalize light output at 40ftl, the story changes quite a bit. On one hand, the TC-P46G10 (281 watts) is still more-efficient than the only other 1080p 46-inch plasma we've tested, Panasonic's TH-46PZ85U (329 watts). On the other hand, it fails to compete with like-size 2008 LCD models, such as the Sharp LC-46D85U (123 watts), the Samsung LN46A550 (101 watts), and the Sony KDL-46Z4100 (124 watts), each of which uses less than half as much power to produce the same amount of light.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/pan...ml?tag=txt;page

The G10 did not preserve black levels in the bright light as well as any of the other non-Panasonic displays.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/pan...ml?tag=txt;page

Panasonic G10 Review from the HDguru is up..... :D At last..... :P

Here's some pricing.......albeit USA $...........but probably gives an indication on what we may expect here.

Looks like the 50" G10 / V10 replacement for the top of the range 2008 850 is gonna be closer to the 4K+ on initial release.....

I'm still waiting for my 850 to arrive ??????............at this rate..........the new G series may well come down in price enough to sway my purchase !!!

Here's some pricing.......albeit USA $...........but probably gives an indication on what we may expect here.

Looks like the 50" G10 / V10 replacement for the top of the range 2008 850 is gonna be closer to the 4K+ on initial release.....

I'm still waiting for my 850 to arrive ??????............at this rate..........the new G series may well come down in price enough to sway my purchase !!!

I think they were talking more like 2.4k for the V10 50", which by the time it gets converted back to

our currency would put it approx 3.4-3.6k?

I'd hope so anyway, otherwise we may all start looking towards the run out pio's.

Good luck with the 850 i know there are a few of you waiting for delivery. Any day now. <_<

I think they were talking more like 2.4k for the V10 50", which by the time it gets converted back to

I'd hope so anyway, otherwise we may all start looking towards the run out pio's.

Good luck with the 850 i know there are a few of you waiting for delivery. Any day now. <_<

Ooops.........forgot to chuck in the link :

http://hdguru.com/panasonic-2009-prices-le...-exclusive/395/

I still reckon most AU retailers will have them around the 4k initially.........but we'll find out soon enough.....50"models should be just round the corner......but then again ...knowing Panasonic........they could still be 6 months away.

I still reckon most AU retailers will have them around the 4k initially.........but we'll find out soon enough.....50"models should be just round the corner......but then again ...knowing Panasonic........they could still be 6 months away.

As usual we are the one's that get the scraps.....6 months! :(

Edited by didi71

Anyone heard anymore about availability? BigBrownBox still has todays date (14th April)...

Nothing........The HN store that has my order for the 50" 850 still has no news. Panasonic are useless with Supply Chain management and information. There isn't even anything concrete about availability of the new models.

Guest ferni

I emailed BigBrownBox and got this response:

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have been advised by our purchasing department that both models are currently on Back order until early May.

If you require any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us.

There have been some major price reductions within the first month of release in the US and Pana now offering rebates for those who paid higher intially. Some retailers are also refunding the couple of hundred to those who paid more and compalined. Anyway, seems that the street price for the G10 50" is around US$1550 and the talk is that the V10 50" will be around the US$2200 mark. Interestingly thats also the price they are talking about for the G10 54" with the S1 54" below US$2000. If only we could use the current exchange rate to estimate Aussie prices - that would put the G10 50" at about AU$2150 (street price), G10 54" at AU$3000, V10 50" at AU$3100 and an S1 54" at AU$2700. It seems that Pana US have realised that the only way they are going to keep their sales moving along in this very hard market is to pass on as much of the production cost savings (and there are significant savings with the new panels) as possible. If only Pana AUS realised this as well and we saw these aggressive prices hear, then they would sell a lot more product. Unfortunately they seem neither capable of making these deductions nor capable of planning sufficient supply of panels and seem to be constantly trying to fill back orders with runout models. I should stop complaining or just move to the US - lol.

There have been some major price reductions within the first month of release in the US and Pana now offering rebates for those who paid higher intially. Some retailers are also refunding the couple of hundred to those who paid more and compalined. Anyway, seems that the street price for the G10 50" is around US$1550 and the talk is that the V10 50" will be around the US$2200 mark. Interestingly thats also the price they are talking about for the G10 54" with the S1 54" below US$2000. If only we could use the current exchange rate to estimate Aussie prices - that would put the G10 50" at about AU$2150 (street price), G10 54" at AU$3000, V10 50" at AU$3100 and an S1 54" at AU$2700. It seems that Pana US have realised that the only way they are going to keep their sales moving along in this very hard market is to pass on as much of the production cost savings (and there are significant savings with the new panels) as possible. If only Pana AUS realised this as well and we saw these aggressive prices hear, then they would sell a lot more product. Unfortunately they seem neither capable of making these deductions nor capable of planning sufficient supply of panels and seem to be constantly trying to fill back orders with runout models. I should stop complaining or just move to the US - lol.

There are some good points there Bertzz. I don't want a LG, Sony or Samsung TV, but hopefully they will be competitive enough to force Panasonic into some sharp pricing. Our small market often leads to higher prices (look at Apple) If you believe what they said about HN and Hitachi, OZ is not the best market for the TV makers either!

Who knows what strategy Panasonic AUS are going to adopt with pricing of the new panels.

Do they want to increase their margins but depress sales...or will they offer true value by lowering their margins and pricing competiteveley.

I am sure Panasonic will intially keep prices high to see what demand there is for the new product...if sales numbers don't add up then I am sure prices will drop - I doubt Panny will not leave themselves with room to move (down) on pricing.

Expect premium prices over the outgoing models.

If supply is limited on a good product, it keeps the prices high because there is always people out there that wil pay a bit more for a quality product. i.e. pz800, 850.

We are (comparitivley) such a small market, around the size of one state in the US, so we are always going to be shafted on price and products.

I myself would love to have had a chance at the Mitsubishi Laservue, but we will never see it here.

Now I'm looking towards the V10, I'll hold out for a few months after they hit the shops and hopefully get one for not too much over $3000.

I maybe dreaming, but I live in hope! Either way I'll buy something this year.

Panasonic have lost their major competitor in PIONEER. In the Australian Market, it was always an epic battle to watch these 2 go head to head with their products.....albeit the Pioneer still being the more "elite " purchase. I think Pioneer found it difficult to compete with the likes of Panasonic / SONY / Samsung / LG in terms of price / value and hence they have abandoned television production globally....sad days.

I reckon now.......Panasonic have found themselves at the top of the tree and will find themselves competing head to head with Samsung. Samsung are renowned for their aggresive competitive pricing, so Panasonic may find themselves in the same position as Pioneer in 12 months time..........struggling to make top quality products at SAMSUNG level pricing. I fear that losing Pioneer will have a deleterious effect. Panasonic will now be competing more on Pricing and cost cutting rather than the more noble pusuit of competing with Pioneer for the best technology and televisions that todays technology can create..........If pana continue to unsettle buyers with their overly cautious supply of product based on "made to order" mentality........SAMSUNG / LG / SONY will crucify them in the market considering their much greater product availability and cheaper initial price entry. Interesting times ahead.........

Edited by teamjlf

Yep,some good points,i think Plasma technology dies(or least goes up-market into Pioneers niche) when Panny. looses interest and moves to low(er) power consumption OLED,i can't see the Koreans continuing when they can produce LCD's far more cheaply.

Anyway it certainly will be interesting times ahead.

The new models must be close(he says stating the obvious),depending on who you talk to there already landed or about to land.

Panasonic have lost their major competitor in PIONEER. In the Australian Market, it was always an epic battle to watch these 2 go head to head with their products.....albeit the Pioneer still being the more "elite " purchase. I think Pioneer found it difficult to compete with the likes of Panasonic / SONY / Samsung / LG in terms of price / value and hence they have abandoned television production globally....sad days.

In the end consumers will loose out due to lack of competition which brings technology to the forefront e.g. Kuro why bother with Pioneer out of the picture,quantity not quality but I hope Panasonic grabs the opportunity and take the lead in supplying top displays :rolleyes:

cheers laurie

I think we may be on our last couple of generations of Plasma completely to be honest.. with the tough environmental standards for Europe, as well as the general shocking economic climate overseas, manufacturers won't be willing to spend too much on having two separate display ranges. Already you can see Samsung focusing a lot more on their LCD displays, Sony is all LCD, and nobody other than LGE seems that interested in Plasma. In the mind of consumers already LCD is the winner, and you can see this in the stores these days with the range/placement of the LCD's compared to the plasmas.

Even though I'm a fan of plasma, the gap is starting to narrow in picture quality as well.

This leaves Panasonic on the back foot, as they are well regarded for their plasmas, but to catch up on large screen LCD's they are quite behind the ball at the moment. This could leave them with a big dilemma pretty soon.