Pioneer AVR Owners & Discussion Thread

Just had this AV Receiver delivered to us yesterday. I'am going to write a short review soon.

Pictures for now.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5735

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5736

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5737

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5738

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5739

I might organize a group buy if enough people are interested here. depending on the number of people, price will be under $1600 exec delivery. I might put some up on eBay hence my eBay user name is on the pictures.

Edited by orican

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had this AV Receiver delivered to us yesterday. I'am going to write a short review soon.

Pictures for now.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5735

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5736

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5737

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5738

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5739

I might organize a group buy if enough people are interested here. depending on the number of people, price will be under $1600 exec delivery. I might put some up on eBay hence my eBay user name is on the pictures.

I am interested. Looking forward to your review.

It appears that its big brother Lx-81 just won a latest WHAT HI FI group test against Yamaha v3900, Onkyo 906. Lx-71 is very similar in sound department except 1 less HDMI output. better value for money. Anyone knows where to demo this in Melbourne?

Edited by informer

I am interested. Looking forward to your review.

It appears that its big brother Lx-81 just won a latest WHAT HI FI group test against Yamaha v3900, Onkyo 906. Lx-71 is very similar in sound department except 1 less HDMI output. better value for money. Anyone knows where to demo this in Melbourne?

Clef in Melbourne have them. I've had a quote and am close to buying one. Interested to know what this group buy is about and who the seller will be.

AVS forums in the US have a great thread, although the LX 71 is called the SC -05 there. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....99&page=107 It gets raves on the site. (Look at the summaries on page 1 of the thread.) Although on AVForums there are lots of grumbles but they all seem to be from members in the UK about hooking Sky TV up through HDMI.

Clef in Melbourne have them. I've had a quote and am close to buying one. Interested to know what this group buy is about and who the seller will be.

AVS forums in the US have a great thread, although the LX 71 is called the SC -05 there. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....99&page=107 It gets raves on the site. (Look at the summaries on page 1 of the thread.) Although on AVForums there are lots of grumbles but they all seem to be from members in the UK about hooking Sky TV up through HDMI.

The more I read about these feedback, the more I am convinced this is the next generation digital amp. More efficient, more powerful, more clarity, lower distortion. Some users used other amp in the same class like v3800, v3900, Denon 3808, 4308, onkyo 876. So in the Home theatre application, it is a league ahead. Only worry is the music. Some said it might be too "bright". Other claimed it is just as good. Some even compared it with dedicated amps. I think I am still inclined for this as my home theater usage is up to 80%.

Edited by informer

The more I read about these feedback, the more I am convinced this is the next generation digital amp. More efficient, more powerful, more clarity, lower distortion. Some users used other amp in the same class like v3800, v3900, Denon 3808, 4308, onkyo 876. So in the Home theatre application, it is a league ahead. Only worry is the music. Some said it might be too "bright". Other claimed it is just as good. Some even compared it with dedicated amps. I think I am still inclined for this as my home theater usage is up to 80%.

I read that it was good for music, airy sound like a Marantz. I listen to music and TV more than movies, but I like the idea that it boosts the surround when watching movies at low volume levels as my wife doesn't like it up loud and on my Sony Amp I seem to completely lose the surround sound effect ,except when the studio logo flashes up.

The main reason I have been hesitating is that my Sony amp, although 7 years old is very clear and, with my Tannoy speakers, has a great sound stage ( don't need a centre speaker), the only thing is after a while it tends to sound a bit harsh. I would hate to spend about $1800 and then find no improvement in sound. Unfortunately I am in Canberra so I can't audition the Pioneer. I am just going by forum comments.

I wasn't aware that stores had stock of lx-71 so soon.

Under $1500 for cost. Are you sure you aren't talking about the lx-70?

If the bulk buy has a good price count me in.

No mistake, SC-LX71. I physically sighted 3 units in stock at a JB Hi-Fi and similar to others was quoted $1700 with less than 1 minute of bargaining.

No mistake, SC-LX71. I physically sighted 3 units in stock at a JB Hi-Fi and similar to others was quoted $1700 with less than 1 minute of bargaining.

I was in a Canberra JB store yesterday and asked about them and was told, after the salesman looked at his computer, that JB didn't stock them. I'll try ringing round some other stores tomorrow.

Which store did you see them in?

Edited by Grahameh

I will get one soon with a mate price. All I can say that is their cost is well below $1500. So $1500 or under is very achievable you negociate hard enough. The only issue is the stock is running low now. So be quick while they still have them in stock.

I will get one soon with a mate price. All I can say that is their cost is well below $1500. So $1500 or under is very achievable you negociate hard enough. The only issue is the stock is running low now. So be quick while they still have them in stock.

it would be greater help if you could point to a store that has one?

I went to bing lee this morning

no stock of lx 60 or lx 70 let alone stock of lx 71

Just went and ordered one of these from a JB Hi-Fi, only thing is they have to order them in, picked it up for $1550 without any haggling.

That seems like a good price for what people are basically able to get the LX60 for at the moment (if any left).

How does the feature set compare between the LX60/LX70 and LX71?

You can use the http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/98/405/overview.html site to compare the 3 of them side by side :D

Now what's the point of an Internet forum if I can go and look at the information myself! :D

Actually, at a very quick glance, there seems to be some errors, I know my LX60 doesn't have a USB connector, but it DOES have Full Band Phase control. The comparison tables show differently....

Other than that, they seem fairly evenly matched, which makes the 71 excellent value considering the LX70 was up around the 3k mark not too long ago. I think the rrp of the LX60 was around $2500.

That's a pretty big price reduction. I doubt if a Denon 3808 => 3809 (if available) would drop by that much, would it?

I will be looking at an LX-60 tomorrow.Been offered an open box unit from pioneer for $1250.

Having read this thread if I can get this for $1500 I may spend the extra $$$. It may be worth it just for the extra hdmi and usb.

I will visit a JB tomorrow to see if I have any luck in finding one.

What JB did you order from SkItZo?

Now what's the point of an Internet forum if I can go and look at the information myself! :D

Actually, at a very quick glance, there seems to be some errors, I know my LX60 doesn't have a USB connector, but it DOES have Full Band Phase control. The comparison tables show differently....

Other than that, they seem fairly evenly matched, which makes the 71 excellent value considering the LX70 was up around the 3k mark not too long ago. I think the rrp of the LX60 was around $2500.

That's a pretty big price reduction. I doubt if a Denon 3808 => 3809 (if available) would drop by that much, would it?

I heard that JB get a rebate or reduction or some such from pioneer so its unlikely. The SC LX71 also uses 130w less power for more features. And hey, the EU site is more reliable than the AU one, on the AU site it states that the LX71 is THX Ultra2 Plus when its actually only Select2 Plus

I will be looking at an LX-60 tomorrow.Been offered an open box unit from pioneer for $1250.

Having read this thread if I can get this for $1500 I may spend the extra $$$. It may be worth it just for the extra hdmi and usb.

Got a store in Cockburn, WA to order me one. But any JB in Australia shouldnt have a problem ordering it in as there is a Pioneer factory in Australia or some such. Ya shouldnt have any problem getting one for $1500 if you haggle for a little, i just said that i had been quoted a price of $1600 and asked if they could beat it, the guy typed something into a calculator for a few seconds and then said that he could do $1550. Considering that they retail for $2400 normally, im happy with that price :D HHe did say that i prolly wont get it till after christmas but that doesnt bother me, im still saving up for a set of speakers

Edited by SkItZo

The Bing Lee catalogue had the LX 60 for $999.

JB Belconnen have the LX71 in stock. I got one yesterday for $1700. Thought that was good, but sounds like I paid too much.