Sign in to follow this  
bravia40x

Sony Receiver

Hey all.

Has anyone heard about the Sony 2400ES AVR at all?? I want to get the Kef 3000.5 speakers and want to get a good AVR.

I have a 40" X series TV and Sony S350 Blu ray .... Just thinking the Bravia Sync might get rid of a few remotes but if the AVR is crap then I'll go with a Onkyo or something like that....

heres a quick review.. http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/ta...5;pid;6720;pt;1

or go here and scroll down to the Sony 2400ES http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=23688

Edited by bravia40x

Hey all.

Has anyone heard about the Sony 2400ES AVR at all?? I want to get the Kef 3000.5 speakers and want to get a good AVR.

I have a 40" X series TV and Sony S350 Blu ray .... Just thinking the Bravia Sync might get rid of a few remotes but if the AVR is crap then I'll go with a Onkyo or something like that....

heres a quick review.. http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/ta...5;pid;6720;pt;1

or go here and scroll down to the Sony 2400ES http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=23688

In short, yes, this is a good A/V Receiver, although at this price range, there are several other good alternatives, but the answer is yes, this is a very good unit.

Good unit, particularly at the price point, but if you want more power, don't use it as a pre-out only. It has no ability to switch off its own internal amplifier and so will pop a fuse trying to run all 8-channels of an external amplifier without its own speaker terminals hooked up to at least 1 pair, thus resulting in different tonal balance across your speakers. As a standalone, though, it is pretty good, just doesn't have the power I need.

I got one a couple of weeks ago and am wrapped . I love the playstationesque graphical user interface which is fairly intuitive and easy to understand ..

I think it all boils down to what price point you can get it for locally or on line . There was a sale on at JB's where they were selling them for $844 which was to me an absolute steal and made it a no brainer . Dropped everything , packed my lunch and went for a drive . Then again if I could of got an equivilent featured yammy for the price thats the route I may of taken .

It ticks all the boxes with tons of inputs and outputs and all the latest decoding . My energy speakers have never sounded better and thats what counts most at the end of the day . Thats from someone who has a yammy and an onkyo in the house .

100WPC is more than enough in my 8Mx4M lounge room .

Very, very few A/V Receivers under $5,000.00 specify genuine power ratings, so I would not read too much into most manufacturers' power claims.

I feel that this Sony unit will power the KEF '3005's well.

Otherwise, I would also recommend checking out the Denon AVR1909 and Onkyo TX-SR606.

Very, very few A/V Receivers under $5,000.00 specify genuine power ratings, so I would not read too much into most manufacturers' power claims.

I feel that this Sony unit will power the KEF '3005's well.

Otherwise, I would also recommend checking out the Denon AVR1909 and Onkyo TX-SR606.

Yeah they look good also but the onkyo only upscales to 1080i ?? hmmm

If upscaling from component etc to 1080p is important to you, then don't look to the Onkyo TX-SR606.

For most people, though, if you are watching Blu-ray which has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 (1080p), your '350 Blu-ray Disc Player can simply send the signals across to the A/V Receiver, and the '606, for example, will simply pass through the full 1920 x 1080 (1080p) signals without changing anything. If you purchase a '606 and are watching a SD DVD, get your Blu-ray Disc Player to upscale to 1080p, and the '606 will simply pass through the 1080p signals.

Hope I made sense.

Dan.

C'mon you know you want it..

Just go out and buy it.

Recently bought a 5300ES from Sony Central in Perth. They were on special at $1999, down from $2999 and eventually walked out of the shop after getting it for $1590... No complaints with it...There are bargains to be got...

The 2400ES will not upscale analogue signals to 1080P either . But I can't see your TV upscaler having a big problem going from 1080i to 1080p .

Converting from 1080i to 1080p is de-interlacing not upscaling. Most of the TV will do a decent job but it is still better to let your upscaling dvd player or bluray player doing the job. With exception of Pioneer TV you will find most TVs have video processing poorer than a good upscale DVD or Bluray player.

I don't suppose you investigated their best price for the 5400ES? As I would prefer 2 HDMI outs and more power

Recently bought a 5300ES from Sony Central in Perth. They were on special at $1999, down from $2999 and eventually walked out of the shop after getting it for $1590... No complaints with it...There are bargains to be got...