Sign in to follow this  
d00dz

Price Rise For Lcd/plasmas

Sorry you have misunderstood my post. The higher price rises were geared towrds things such as microwaves and the like. Screens were hit with a lower price hike. I suspect to reduce the effects of an already flat tv selling market. Sticking 30% on a $250 microwave doesnt effect peoples buying habits as much as sticking 30% on a $3000 screen.

It also reflects the discretionary nature of TV's versus other white/brown goods.

People can choose not to buy a new TV, whereas items like mucrowaves are considered more of a necessity. I only have one microwave oven, and if it breaks down I'm pretty much going to go out and buy a new one. However I am far less likely to upgrade to 55"+ or buy a second TV in this economic climate and even less likely if prices rise.

Thus this makes items like TVs more sensitive to price rises than something like a microwave or dishwasher.

It also reflects the discretionary nature of TV's versus other white/brown goods.

People can choose not to buy a new TV, whereas items like mucrowaves are considered more of a necessity. I only have one microwave oven, and if it breaks down I'm pretty much going to go out and buy a new one. However I am far less likely to upgrade to 55"+ or buy a second TV in this economic climate and even less likely if prices rise.

Thus this makes items like TVs more sensitive to price rises than something like a microwave or dishwasher.

Exactly!

Edited by hazzad

Hi

Yep, you can't eat a TV,i think that was one of the reasons Panny. cleared out stock at Xmas. and has probaly adjusted import volume for the 2009 Models.

A 10% or so price increase on TV’s is not going to significantly affect demand either, so no reason for importers and retailers not to maintain profitable pricing.

If individual consumers are dissuaded by such a small price rise they really should not be in the market for a big ticket non essential item. If you can afford $2k, $2.2k is not going to kill you, and if you can afford $10k, $11k is not a big ask.

So if your TV dies suddenly (and you only have one TV like me) then you'll just sit tight for 6 months and live without a TV then?

I know I certainly wouldn't. I'd go and replace it ASAP. <_<

You can buy a 68cm TV for $200, know one needs to spend $3,000 or even $1,000 to watch TV.

i visited a few high end audio shops the other weekend- felt like Charlton Heston The omega Man

You can buy a 68cm TV for $200, know one needs to spend $3,000 or even $1,000 to watch TV.

Exactly. The discretionary purchases I was referring to is the 2nd/3rd tv, or upgrade purchases.

A 10% or so price increase on TV’s is not going to significantly affect demand either, so no reason for importers and retailers not to maintain profitable pricing.

If individual consumers are dissuaded by such a small price rise they really should not be in the market for a big ticket non essential item. If you can afford $2k, $2.2k is not going to kill you, and if you can afford $10k, $11k is not a big ask.

I take your point, but people with the money to spend will always make a value judgement before they buy. So if the 2k TV moves to 2.2k, then to some people the $1800 TV is all of a sudden looking like a good buy. So in addition to people simply not buying tv's, they are also moving down the value chain and further deflating the market.

I don’t think manufacturers or retailers care if the sale is for the $1800 model or the $2200 model as long as a profit is made.

Edited by Owen

Yeah, but apart from that..............its all good! :unsure:

It's hard to believe that a drop in sales for just one year can push companies so deeply into the red. Either they have been cooking the books for years or they're using the recession as an excuse to sack or underpay workers.

Let them raise the prices for LCDs and plasmas but it isn't going to do their sales or profits any good.

Edited by kulfi

yeah it is BS to me. sounds like an excuse to get rid of people they had no excuse to get rid of so kept them under employment for years.

And apparently Kogan is reducing prices

yeah it is BS to me. sounds like an excuse to get rid of people they had no excuse to get rid of so kept them under employment for years.

I cannot understand how a firm like Citibank expects to recoup losses of over USD 150 billion by sacking 50,000 workers, whose annual wage bill isn't likely to exceed USD 5 billion (assuming an average pay of USD 100k per year). Where's the remaining 145 billion ? Customer service and working families are being wiped out in this river of greed. No one is held accountable.

BTW the layoff bug has bitten Australian retail in a big way. Coles World Square Sydney had huge queues and very few checkouts open because of staff shortages. The floor manager was doing his best to page all available staff members to assist but to no avail. It reminded me of the endless lines in understaffed or poorly planned third-world supermarkets.

Guest EZYHD
And apparently Kogan is reducing prices

due to poor sales??

When the going was good many of these companies started to carry large debts,just the same as a lot of people with there CC.

Now there is a problem servicing those debts,it doe's not take long to go belly up.

Wesfarmers only just escaped the other day when 4 billion dollar debt was refinanced.

Even for companies with no debt[how about Ford] can only survive for a few months.

Check out the states,with there drop in house prices there is now 3 trillion in mortgages where the house is worth less than its debt.

If a lot of those start to default,and with the flow on it is not going to be nice.

How stable is China,Australia has a lot of its eggs in the same basket.

HDrocks: :mellow:

due to poor sales??

Maybe. He's beaten a hasty retreat with his Angora mobile phone. OK, so it's real name was Agora but considering it hasn't turned out to be anything like a mobile phone, comparing it an Angora sweater would make more sense. His TV sales have cooled down and so have his rabid spruikers. The third and more realistic reason looks to me like his TVs are going to be 3 generations out of date very soon and that means they have to be sold somewhat cheaper.

It's still not a good deal for the consumer, who might be better off haggling and picking up a TV from a good company on the cheap.

When the going was good many of these companies started to carry large debts,just the same as a lot of people with there CC.

So true!

Look at Babcock and Brown :(

My once $30 shares aren't worth $0.30. They payed too much for assets and got so heavily laden with debt, that when the credit crunch came, they couldn't refinance at levels to sustain their business model.

I know that prices for an LG60PG70FD was retailing at $4650 at Boxing Day Sale Time. As of last weekend 7/2/09 the RR at HN was $5699. Back to their LG RR pricing. They were offering 5499 as a sale price. So assume the new pricing has come into affect. Im sure however you could possibly get it for a price under 5k, but that could be old stock. For sure Pana's will go up as all their old stock went witht he Wii promo.

Having said that the retailers will slash prices again as people wont be buying if they remain at the high prices.

So almost a year on, and the dollar heading for parity, did the 30% increase eventuate?