Price Rise For Lcd/plasmas

Guest d00dz

From whirlpool-

ok, guys. i have an attatchment to an email from panasonic here which lists all of their plasma range.

it has old trade prices including and excluding gst and old RRP as well as NEW trade prices inc and ex GST and NEW RRP prices.

i have been trying to upload a copy to wiki (i have blacked out trade prices, as i value my job) but my scanner is givin me the shits.

if anyone would like to see this i will take a photo of it and email it directly to you. For now you get a quick rundown on old and new RRP effective 01/02/09

Model / OLD RRP / NEW RRP

TH65PZ850A – 11999 – 13099

TH58PZ850A – 7699 – 8299

TH50PZ850A – 3899 – 4399

TH50PZ800A – 3649 – 3899

TH46PZ800A – 3299 – 3599

TH42PZ800A – 2899 – 3199

TH50PZ80A – 3099 – 3299

TH42PZ80A – 2549 – 2699

TH50PX80A – 2399 – 2599

TH42PX80A – 1899 – 1999

TH42PX8A – 1699 – 1799

now kepp in mind these are RRP's not go prices – i quote from the email "The Recommended Retail Price set out herein is a recommended price only, and there is no obligation to comply with the recommendation. All prices and specifications are subject to change without notice"

Also from the email _ "Please note that all orders held by Panasonic as at 01 Feb 2009 will be supplied at 1st February pricing. (regardless of the date of order placement).

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panasonic are pushing to clear all there current inventory in both the stores and there wharehouse.

They have given retailers buy in and sell thru allowances which will allow them to sell the unit at $1499 and just break even , considering there a few retailers pretty close to biting the bullet they new someone would do it in the sales period and everyone else would have to follow.

Most full hd stock was cleared during the wii promotion.

Of course when you re-stock your up for the new cost price.

Panasonic are pushing to clear all there current inventory in both the stores and there wharehouse.

They have given retailers buy in and sell thru allowances which will allow them to sell the unit at $1499 and just break even , considering there a few retailers pretty close to biting the bullet they new someone would do it in the sales period and everyone else would have to follow.

Most full hd stock was cleared during the wii promotion.

Of course when you re-stock your up for the new cost price.

And I hope all retailers have plenty of TV's and nobody buying them, Now I would love to see that and I would not be surprised if this will be the case. I don't care about the ADollar.

And I hope all retailers have plenty of TV's and nobody buyin.000..0. g them, Now I would love to see that and I would not be surprised if this will be the case. I don't care about the ADollar.

I used to think people would protest and would not buy the sets but even though we are apparently in a recession there are still plenty of people with plenty of money. A price rise of 10% is only $100-$250 on the average priced set and over a short period of time the average consumer will forget about it and just shop for the best set they can get for their money.

Obviously if Samsung being the main plasma competition doesnt raise prices Panasonic will be forced to back down or take a serious market share drop ( which they dont have too much of at the moment ).

Should be fun to watch.

Just got my crystal ball out of the back shed, its not working properly anymore since the chook's kacked on it, otherwise I'd have a dead set answer if TV's will rise or they won't!.

I used to think people would protest and would not buy the sets but even though we are apparently in a recession there are still plenty of people with plenty of money. A price rise of 10% is only $100-$250 on the average priced set and over a short period of time the average consumer will forget about it and just shop for the best set they can get for their money.

Obviously if Samsung being the main plasma competition doesnt raise prices Panasonic will be forced to back down or take a serious market share drop ( which they dont have too much of at the moment ).

Should be fun to watch.

A 10% price rise on a new Pioneer LX609 is $1000 more. Just think I was just about to buy one to replace one of my LG's I flogged off to my mate.

Should be fun to watch.

People will just buy cheaper TVs, they buy what they can afford. I doubt a price rise will hurt anybody.

Edited by ageha

People will just buy cheaper TVs, they buy what they can afford. I doubt a price rise will hurt anybody.

...and if only everyone applied the same mindset to using credit cards...it's a nice thought that people will just buy what they can afford, and that a rise won't hurt anybody, but that's just being naive.

Edited by reags

...and if only everyone applied the same mindset to using credit cards...it's a nice thought that people will just buy what they can afford, and that a rise won't hurt anybody, but that's just being naive.

We're talking about TVs not water and bread. If you can't afford it you don't need to buy it. There will be always a more expensive and a cheaper option. It doesn't really matter what you get for $1000.

Edited by ageha

A price rise and the baby bonus no longer being paid in lump sum I fear it may be the end of an industry... RIP HDTV :P

Just joking... my new plasma should be here in the next couple of weeks.

In all seriousness, it's to be expected as a lot of this stock was probably ordered back when the dollar was stronger. This is just one of those price adjustments. It will no doubt just lead to more promo deals (ie. LGs free LCDs) If you can't move units give them away - cheaper than cutting the price!

As an average consumer with money, a 10% or 20% price rise won't hurt me, but I, like the average consumer wants the best deal.

If I know these sets have gone up in price 10-20%, I won't buy it out of principle

i.e. there is no way I'm going to pay 10-20% more than what Joe did down the road, irrespective of the $A.

Today's 9 gen kuros, will most likely be 40% cheaper in 6 months time, so why should I pay 10-15% more now than a month ago for what was already an outrageously over-priced set?

It can gather dust in the warehouse until it must be sold to pay for the retailer's electricity bill at the price I am prepared to pay.

I bet many a consumer will be thinking this way and I'm not even taking into account the many people out there that are scaling back on their spending because of job insecurity and impending recession.

If you have the best product why wouldn’t you charge a premium price for it?

Pioneers pricing is about where it should be for a premium product and is half what it was 2 years ago; the fact that other manufacturer’s products are stupidly cheap is irrelevant. I don’t see luxury car makers dropping their prices, if you want one you will pay or go without.

It seems that no matter how cheap TV’s get people are never happy and expect even cheaper prices year on year, obviously there is a point where product quality must suffer and I believe we are reaching the point where low prices are holding back the development of innovative new technology. If it can’t be done cheap know one wants to know about it.

New technology and innovative products come in at the top end of the market and flow down to cheaper products over time, if know one wants to pay for those high end products development of new technologies is restricted, and that’s bad news as fare as I am concerned.

I don’t have a problem with pricing these days, even Pioneers prices are very reasonable IMHO, but I do have a problem with the availability of high end product, there is simply nothing I want to buy at any price and probably wound be for another 18 months.

If you have the best product why wouldn’t you charge a premium price for it?

Pioneers pricing is about where it should be for a premium product and is half what it was 2 years ago; the fact that other manufacturer’s products are stupidly cheap is irrelevant. I don’t see luxury car makers dropping their prices, if you want one you will pay or go without.

It seems that no matter how cheap TV’s get people are never happy and expect even cheaper prices year on year, obviously there is a point where product quality must suffer and I believe we are reaching the point where low prices are holding back the development of innovative new technology. If it can’t be done cheap know one wants to know about it.

New technology and innovative products come in at the top end of the market and flow down to cheaper products over time, if know one wants to pay for those high end products development of new technologies is restricted, and that’s bad news as fare as I am concerned.

I don’t have a problem with pricing these days, even Pioneers prices are very reasonable IMHO, but I do have a problem with the availability of high end product, there is simply nothing I want to buy at any price and probably wound be for another 18 months.

Owen I am aware of couple people who have picked up the Audi S3 Limited edition, which is RRP On the roda 85to87K, they have had it brand new for $65k on the road.

It is a buyers market. All the price raising is a scare tactic, I fully agree with Jimval. Sure RRP prices of TVs will go high, but the buy out price after a few monts will be cheap as is now, the fact that Pio is using Pana screens soon (one initiative) should help the cost cutting to keep the street prices down. You just have to look at the economy and where it is heading. High end products dont necessarily have to cost more, eg your Sony 70inch. does a brilliant job and could have been bought for less then $5k. I should have bought one, did initiallt buy the 60inch but the deal fell through later on.

Why will it be 40% cheaper in six months time?

Your logic escapes me?

40% is probably a little high, but Pioneer for at least the last three model line ups have charged a premium early (they usually release new models in Australia around October/November/ and then when Panasonic release their new models around 6 months later, Pioneer beginning dropping their prices in response.

They all do it, not just pioneer.

Mick,

Maybe. But IMO 40% is a bit OTT.

It's the same old story - do you buy now and have the enjoyment of

the product for the intervening period?

- or -

do you wait for the closeout and discontinued model deals,

save a bit of money, and maybe get hit by a bus in the meantime! :)

With the sort of product we're talking about

early adopters always lose money.

Hell, I don't even want to think about how much

money I've "lost" in ugrading hi-fi and video gear in the

last couple of years.

Hang on a minute, I'll just do a quick tot up:

Panasonic AE2000 Original RRP (NZD) $5499

bought July 08, $4500, now $2999 - AE3000 now RRP $4999

Samsung BDP-1400, bought Nov 07 $550, BDP- 1500 now $499

Sony SXRD 60" bought Dec 06 $5499.00 (discontinued) replaced

with Plasma or LCD

Philips 47" LCD, bought Nov 07 $2999.00 now less than $2000.00

And so I can go on and on.....

It will be very interesting to re-visit this thread in 6 months time.

Edited by crtlover

Hell, I don't even want to think about how much money I've "lost" in ugrading hi-fi and video gear in the last couple of years.

Totally agreed, hence my comment 40% is a little high.

At some price point, people are comfortable parting with hard earned cash for their new gadget. In HT gear, it's always going to be cheaper if you wait long enough (I bought a 50" Pana over 2 years ago for $4100 as soon as they released a model with built in HD tuner). Like you I could have bought nearly double of everything I now own, but that's two years down the track. I am glad I bought my gear when i did.

Owen I am aware of couple people who have picked up the Audi S3 Limited edition, which is RRP On the roda 85to87K, they have had it brand new for $65k on the road.

It is a buyers market. All the price raising is a scare tactic, I fully agree with Jimval. Sure RRP prices of TVs will go high, but the buy out price after a few monts will be cheap as is now, the fact that Pio is using Pana screens soon (one initiative) should help the cost cutting to keep the street prices down. You just have to look at the economy and where it is heading. High end products dont necessarily have to cost more, eg your Sony 70inch. does a brilliant job and could have been bought for less then $5k. I should have bought one, did initiallt buy the 60inch but the deal fell through later on.

Good price, I paid over €40k in Germany. I thought an Audi would be more expensive here.

Mick,

It's the same old story - do you buy now and have the enjoyment of

the product for the intervening period?

- or -

do you wait for the closeout and discontinued model deals,

save a bit of money, and maybe get hit by a bus in the meantime! :)

With the sort of product we're talking about

early adopters always lose money.

Hell, I don't even want to think about how much

money I've "lost" in ugrading hi-fi and video gear in the

last couple of years.

Hang on a minute, I'll just do a quick tot up:

Panasonic AE2000 Original RRP (NZD) $5499

bought July 08, $4500, now $2999 - AE3000 now RRP $4999

Samsung BDP-1400, bought Nov 07 $550, BDP- 1500 now $499

Sony SXRD 60" bought Dec 06 $5499.00 (discontinued) replaced

with Plasma or LCD

Philips 47" LCD, bought Nov 07 $2999.00 now less than $2000.00

And so I can go on and on.....

It will be very interesting to re-visit this thread in 6 months time.

Where can you get a Philips 47" LCD for less than $2000?

Edited by ageha

The price you negotiate with a dealer on a particular model can vary quite a bit from list for a variety of reasons, but overall the price of luxury vehicles has not gone down over the last five years, if anything new models tend to cost more then the models they replaced, at least that’s is the case with the vehicles that interest me.

I test drove an LS460 Lexus recently; the RRP has gone up about $25k over the previous LS430 to $196k plus on road. The competing Benz S500 has gone up about $30k to $270k plus on road. Now I know for sure I could get a significant discount, but no way the price will be what it was 2 years ago. The price was negotiable back then as well.

Prices of old models always get discounted toward the end of model life, but prices will rise before any fall for existing models. If you can wait 6 to 12 months I have no doubt you can match or possibly better todays prices, but if you need to buy before then now would be the best time for most models.

Edited by Owen

Why will it be 40% cheaper in six months time?

Your logic escapes me?

It would be nice if I could predict the next Melbourne cup winner too but I am just trying to make a point.

Obviously I don't know exactly by how much it will go down and when, it could even be more and/or it might take a little longer, who really knows with uncertain times ahead,

but history suggests:

Pioneer PDP-LX508A

RRP: $7999, Street price for old stock: $3800

Price drop: 52%

Pioneer PDP-LX608A

RRP: $11999, DigitalCentre price: $6499

Price drop: 46%

(RRP Source: CNET.com.au)

After studying many reviews and reading this excellent forum I went out cash in hand.

After tyre kicking flat panels for a couple of weeks now, I am disappointed by the in-store noisy/dull and cartoon/computer game like pictures of Plasmas and

LCDs respectively. I agree with Owen in relation to the availability of a high end product.

The excuses given is that these are torched up and/or set in dynamic mode in-store.

I understand, but does it have to be EVERY flat panel in EVERY store.

Surely if the units are set up properly for the lighting conditions (maybe just turn the lights off for Plasma) they will get the best picture and thus the best chance of a sale.

I asked a sales rep in a Bing Lee store just yesterday to switch over to a Blu-Ray source instead of Ch.9 HD to compare a Samsung 950 next to the new Sony XBR45,

but all I got from the rep was "Sorry, I can't, that's how they're set-up".

Unbelievable.

At the moment, I'm pretty confident I can plonk my 8 year old 80cm 100Hz Sony CRT (their best CRT and $4.5K back then) with no adjustments against any of these sets and it will absolutely lap them in terms

of a TV's most important attribute, PICTURE QUALITY.

I thought I would walk into a store, look at a flat panel and say:

"Brilliant... I just gotta have it... here's the money... how long before I get it...".

Unfortunately not at the current quality and price.

Signed,

Very Disullusioned.

It would be nice if I could predict the next Melbourne cup winner too but I am just trying to make a point.

Obviously I don't know exactly by how much it will go down and when, it could even be more and/or it might take a little longer, who really knows with uncertain times ahead,

but history suggests:

Pioneer PDP-LX508A

RRP: $7999, Street price for old stock: $3800

Price drop: 52%

Pioneer PDP-LX608A

RRP: $11999, DigitalCentre price: $6499

Price drop: 46%

(RRP Source: CNET.com.au)

After studying many reviews and reading this excellent forum I went out cash in hand.

After tyre kicking flat panels for a couple of weeks now, I am disappointed by the in-store noisy/dull and cartoon/computer game like pictures of Plasmas and

LCDs respectively. I agree with Owen in relation to the availability of a high end product.

The excuses given is that these are torched up and/or set in dynamic mode in-store.

Surely if the units are set up properly for the lighting conditions (maybe just turn the lights off for Plasma) they will get the best picture and thus the best chance of a sale.

I asked a sales rep in a Bing Lee store just yesterday to switch over to a Blu-Ray source instead of Ch.9 HD to compare a Samsung 950 next to the new Sony XBR45,

Unbelievable.

At the moment, I'm pretty confident I can plonk my 8 year old 80cm 100Hz Sony CRT (their best CRT and $4.5K back then) with no adjustments against any of these sets and it will absolutely lap them in terms

of a TV's most important attribute, PICTURE QUALITY.

I thought I would walk into a store, look at a flat panel and say:

"Brilliant... I just gotta have it... here's the money... how long before I get it...".

Unfortunately not at the current quality and price.

Signed,

Very Disullusioned.

And there in lies one of the problems of the home theatre/electronics industry! We've all benefited from the lower margin, category killer stores' low prices but they just don't give and probably can't give the service that the specialists do (DID?). What makes it tough is when you visit a specialist, the sales person gives you good advice, has the TV/System/Whatever set up right and able to compare with a couple alternates. Often they will match or come close to the prices of the box movers... but they can't go on forever without a decent profit. They certainly can't keep paying better wages to skilled and knowledgable staff who want to work in a business they have a passion for, but can no longer get a decent salary. More often the customer without a moment's thought wheels around now armed with knowledge and goes to the nearest Bing Lee/JB/CP/Discount Store and buys at the lowest price thus doing the specialist out of the deal.

And I am not helping either. I have come to rely on the net for reviews and forums for owner's experiences to help me choose my purchases. And then go off and seek the best price I can from whoever will drop their draws and give me the goods for nothing... At least so far I've found that the advice you get on these forums are usually valuable and genuine so I am unlikely to buy a dud.

I would hate to work in this industry! It must give the specialists the sh1ts seeing what's happening to their businesses.

I was just thinking more about the earlier comments by Owen and jimval about the lack of high-end product. It probably is out there in the "real" specialist stores or can be ordered in. I am assuming that you both might be referring to general availability.

I sell a range of quality products and without going into detail, we select our retailers carefully, choosing those we feel will have the expertise and willingness to advise customers carefully and ensure they purchase the most appropriate items from our range to suit there needs. We tend to avoid heavy discounters because in the end everyone's margins are eroded by these guys and there is less reason to sell them.

So, based on that, I assume that the high-end HT suppliers realise this and refuse to sell through the discount outlets or have their products bastardised thus losing perceived value and thus becoming just another brand. It appears that Pioneer struggles with this from time to time... having seen them come and go from JB's a couple times. If you want to be a volume seller you need to have low prices and sell everywhere. But ultimately you will make little or no money from that.

The smart low-volume high-end guys are probably doing quite nicely profit wise, and best staying out of the discount stores. Only risk is will the specialists survive and without them will the high-end guys go too, at least in Australia.

Unbelievable.

I had a similar experience last week, when I was looking for a HTIB solution. Myer had a Yamaha model on display, with only the internal FM tuner available. Am I supposed to believe that a radio broadcast is good enough for me to understand its true capabilities ? JB was no better - nobody could be bothered to talk to me, leave alone switch on the HT. Sony Centre hadn't even plugged in two of the 5 speakers.

Sure, I got better service at a specialist dealer but his prices were so high that I had no choice but to see the equipment there and would have to buy it from elsewhere. We need some sort of balance between the box movers and specialists.