Price Rise For Lcd/plasmas

Guest d00dz

Samsung already extended it's blu-ray player promotion till 31st of jan thereby putting the pressure on the rest (I'm sure they're doing this at a loss -> NOT), while if you have a look http://www.lasoo.com.au/portal/allcatalogues you can note that MYER's boxing day catalogue is having 15% off HDTV and associated goodies so I wouldn't be too concerned if I was you...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prices wil go down, any one putting their prices up will be shooting themselves in the foot (or head). LOL.

Sure there is alot of talk of how prices will go up, but people will not be buying goods at high prices, even at good economic times we expected the next model to be not only better but also cheaper.

In these times and future prices are going down.

Edited by dlpnut

Samsung already extended it's blu-ray player promotion till 31st of jan thereby putting the pressure on the rest (I'm sure they're doing this at a loss -> NOT), while if you have a look http://www.lasoo.com.au/portal/allcatalogues you can note that MYER's boxing day catalogue is having 15% off HDTV and associated goodies so I wouldn't be too concerned if I was you...

Yep starting to see the boxing day catalogues in my letterbox and in the local rag, surprisingly (NOT!) no post xmas 30% rises as promised in SMH.

FYI BigW has a 32" 1366x768 LCD with HD tuner for around $600, Target has a 48cm 16:10 with DVD and HD tuner for $449. This latter price is interesting as I bought an equivalent from Target about 6 months ago (ie pre-dollar slide) for $399 but it only has a SD tuner. So $50 (or 10%) added for a HD tuner does not a 30% increase make!

Josh.

I think it’s foolish to believe we will see lower prices here then in the US, that’s never happen in history and no reason to suspect it will in future. We are already at US street prices for many products and with the AU dollars decline its hard to believe this situation will continue when existing stock is exhausted.

Prices of TV’s will no doubt continue to fall long term, but I expect the price deferential between here and the US will return to want it was before the rise in the AU dollar to near 1:1 parity with the US dollar.

It’s not logical to assume local importers and retailers can operate at lower margins then their US counterparts with much greater economies of scale just to make up for the currency differential.

Yep starting to see the boxing day catalogues in my letterbox and in the local rag, surprisingly (NOT!) no post xmas 30% rises as promised in SMH.

The press releases threatened a 30% price rise in Feb 2009, after the holiday season ends. We can't start cheering just yet.

The press releases threatened a 30% price rise in Feb 2009, after the holiday season ends. We can't start cheering just yet.

Various articles were not very specific, "by February", "early 2009" etc type phrases were mentioned. It's just hard to see prices going up, if they don't dare to put them up in January which is a quiet month, how will they do it later as economy slows further and more jobs are lost?

I saw a few of the TV models which sold out during xmas are now due back in stock by mid jan with even lower prices, so have to wait a few days to see if brands other then Samsung extend their bonus offers to determine the value. Regardless, it seems no rush if it's supposed to be Feb price rise anyway, I'm waiting and not worried.

If only they lifted the prices to give me an excuse to wait for 3rd generation of LED backlighting heh, am not quite satisfied with 2nd generation compared to non LED backlit TVs...

Sticking your head in the sand does not make the price rise go away, say all you like folks, facts are facts, the FX problem is not going away.

The only ones sticking their heads into the sand would be those raising the prices, if they cant see the current economy and where it is heading.

They can raise as much as they like if they only want to sell ONE panel a week and survive, good luck on them.

The only ones sticking their heads into the sand would be those raising the prices, if they cant see the current economy and where it is heading.

They can raise as much as they like if they only want to sell ONE panel a week and survive, good luck on them.

Selling a lot for less is not always the better business model. They know exactly what they do if they raise the prices.

TV’s are dirt cheap at the moment, there is A LOT of room for price rises.

We where paying four times as much only about 3 years ago and it did not stop people buying then. A 10-20% price increase will not stifle demand because the price is still low in real terms and most people who are seriously interested in a TV purchase will go ahead anyway because they want the product and can still afford it. $300 extra on a $2000 purchase is not going to break the bank, if it does the prospective purchaser was looking to buy something they really could not afford in the first place.

There is no incentive for importers or retailers to sell TV’s at prices that are not profitable, so even if prices don’t rise much, future price drops will be delayed to regain margin.

Are you suggesting selling a lot less (goods) for alot more (dollars), is a better business model.

They sure do know what they are doing, they are trying to scare the consumer.

Put simply, if you are not profitable, you can't sell any.

They are not here as a non profit organisation, no profit no staff, no growth, no suport..........no existance.

its not selling for a lot more dollars it is simply trying to maintain margin to be profitable.

the facts are simple, if it is costing you 50% (USD) or 75% (YEN) to purchase the same item, you must raise your prices, especially as your raw material for the items you are buyong now cost more than 12 months ago.

give it another 6-12 months for the drop in raw material prices to come through then we will see.

Just found this link

Sorry if someone has posted before

http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/Bre...19/Default.aspx

Average increase of 9% in plasma and LCD

"We have worked particularly hard to ensure that our popular Home Entertainment range remains as affordable as possible. For example, in our most popular category of Plasma and LCD panels, we expect to see an average increase of around 9% on the current range, a figure lower than market predictions."

New panasonic price list came through this week.

Price rise of approx 10% starts on all orders not filled by feb 01.

Have only heard JVC and Sharp price rise 10% from Jan 01.

Samsung price rise of 10% on LED models mid jan sometime ( not sure on other models ).

Sony is still only rumours at this stage.

Lg have pretty much cleared every tv they have and the new models in march will attract a new price.

Interesting times for everyone.

Samsung price rise of 10% on LED models mid jan sometime ( not sure on other models ).

Lg have pretty much cleared every tv they have and the new models in march will attract a new price.

link or it didn't happen...

I better wait for the new models...