Price Rise For Lcd/plasmas

Guest d00dz

Righto.. that's all from me... I'm going back to my crystal ball! :ninja:

Great analysis pfeff, if anything it will be interesting to see what playes out next year. Especially whether or not Australia will slip into recession, which many think will not happen.

I still believe in the Keynsian model for 'luxury' items, it's pretty rare that stagflation will apply to the likes of panels, it's far more likely to apply to necessities such as food, fuel and the like. You are right that Keynes doesn't work everywhere, most notably in wine sales where increasing the price can increase demans because many wine buyers equate price with quality.

The average mortgage holder ($350k mortgage) will soon have an extra $250 a week in their pocket more than they had in July, and their transport costs are down by about 30%. That's a K.Rudd $1000 handout every month for these people (even people like me with a split loan are pocketing around $200 per month in interest savings). If this is enough to keep Oz out of recession, AND consumer confidence holds, then demand for luxuty items will hold, and cost-driven prices may flow through to consumers.

My uneducated opinion is that growth in the economy will slow but not slip into recession, but consumer confidence will remain low next year meaning many people will put off luxury purchases like Panels, boats, home extensions etc..

I guess the other possibility is that if price rises do come through, people may move to cheaper panels and stop buting Bravias and Pios?

Let me know of you get your crystal ball working; mine has been broken ever since I bought into T2 :blush:

Josh.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you beat me to it ... and as has been said, considering there wasn't a 50% drop in prices when the dollar went from 60c to 98c, I still think this is mainly scaremongering to bolster sales leading up to christmas.

Everyone is saying the dollar is going to drop further against the $US. This shouldn't be the case - there is a lot of support at the 60c mark - if it goes below that then we can pretty safely see the low 50's

We are only a few days off the 10 year anniversary of the bull run in the market. Expect to see oil bottom potentially Friday or Monday US time with an upswing in oil prices from there on in.

This will serve to devalue the US$ further. At this stage I can't see the $AU currency weakening only strengthening unti the Res meet again.

All IMHO of course .....

Everyone is saying the dollar is going to drop further against the $US. This shouldn't be the case - there is a lot of support at the 60c mark - if it goes below that then we can pretty safely see the low 50's

We are only a few days off the 10 year anniversary of the bull run in the market. Expect to see oil bottom potentially Friday or Monday US time with an upswing in oil prices from there on in.

This will serve to devalue the US$ further. At this stage I can't see the $AU currency weakening only strengthening unti the Res meet again.

All IMHO of course .....

My prediction is the A$ will rise again, above 0.70 in the next 6 months.

We shall see though.

Owen,

I went to HN Auburn on Tuesday looking for the same exact camera The Nikon D90. They had a big sale on that day but the prices they offered werent great and they werent willing to budge on the price.

Can I ask what lens kit you got and how much you paid?

You can PM me if youre not happy to post it on the forum.

Cheers

Sunil.

me too?

thanks

Check this review - DisplaySearch

With the ongoing economic turmoil unlikely to improve in 2009, DisplaySearch has dramatically revised its TV market forecast for 2009, especially for the fastest-growing LCD TV category. As shown in the DisplaySearch Q4’08 Quarterly Global TV Shipment and Forecast Report, worldwide revenues are expected to fall year-on-year for the first time since LCD TV was launched in 2000. The key factors are reductions in forecasted TV prices and revised forecasts for Y/Y shipment growth for LCD and PDP TVs in 2009, down by 7 and 6 points from previous, respectively. LCD TV revenues are forecast to fall 16% Y/Y to $64 billion in 2009, and total TV revenues will fall 18% Y/Y to $88 billion. DisplaySearch expects that 2009 will be the most difficult year yet for the TV industry and supply chain.

My point is - the prices will go down.

You have to factor in nearly year old rumours that big brand companies are planning big price drops soon. This article suggests price DROPS for this and other reasons:

For serious TV hunters, here is some more great insider's advice from Jim Willcox, senior editor of Consumer Reports.

Big brand-name TV makers such as Sony, Samsung and Toshiba have started to lose their tolerance for upstart, lesser-known TV makers (such as Vizio) sneaking into the market with private-label brands for warehouse and discount stores. The Big Guys are just starting to fight back with their own lower-priced models. They may not have every bell and whistle, but they can cost $300 to $400 less than their own mainstream versions.

Full article:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/14/bz...-hdtv-on-pause/

Edited by #Darren

I'm inclined to think that prices won't go up. It seems like a trick to reel in people who are holding out to buy, probably as they rushed it in the last couple of years during the "xmas sale" times, only to find the same things much cheaper only weeks later.

What are they going to do with all those TVs they have in stock after the xmas rush, while the new models get announced? Increase the price? I think not...

Even if they raise a price to save face, just picture RRP going up from $4k to $5k and the TV still selling for the same $3k amount as it did before.

As far as AUD, the commodities need to rally, which should happen, though lowering the interest rates doesn't help, also USD will drop itself as they kop it some more.

Is this thread run by retailers or what?

I don't think it's run by retailers but it's clear that the big manufacturers' scare tactics are starting to affect many individuals. They're desperate to snatch the free dollars handed out by the Federal government and if they've got to scare their way into people's wallets, so be it.

Myer Sydney had a funny poster up - "My true Rudd gave to me" and spruiked some perfumes. This proves that retailers want to grab Rudd's handout and ensure that people don't pay off their loans (but preferably go deeper into the debt hole and pull the stores out of their debt hole).

I saw another example of scare tactics today - a Mercedes Benz showroom put up huge stickers saying "Beat the 2009 price rise". This is in a scenario where sales of luxury brands are really at rock bottom - is anyone willing to believe this ?

If you step back just a little and get some perspective what is on offer compared to even two or three years ago ... ALDI for example have just sold a heap of 22 inch WS LCDs with built in HD tuner for around $400. Walked out of our local branch here. Not the best brand or quality perhaps but right next to me (I'm on the laptop in the bedroom) is a sony 21 inch CRT analogue that cost me the grand total of $420 in 2003.

Adjusted for inflation that's probably more than $500 in today's dollars, at least. You can grab a 32 inch plasma for about that now. Currently the aus dollar is back to what it was very few years ago, at 70 US and around 43 pence UK so any current 'blips' in the price of imported gear due to our currency is soon going to be overtaken by the constantly downward trend of all our DTV goodies. IMHO.

Myer Sydney had a funny poster up - "My true Rudd gave to me" and spruiked some perfumes. This proves that retailers want to grab Rudd's handout and ensure that people don't pay off their loans (but preferably go deeper into the debt hole and pull the stores out of their debt hole).

I saw those posters too - very amusing.

Read an article as well that game console sales spiked the day the $1000 bonuses were given away. Just goes to show how people have their priorities set right <_<:rolleyes:

I bought one of those Aldi 'Vivid' branded 22" HD LCD's for $399.

Bought for the kitchen and sits perfectly on top of the fridge.

Picture is excellent whilst sound is less so.

Still cannot believe the quality of the HD picture for this price.

Not as good as my Pio LX508A Plasma of course but more than acceptable for the kitchen or bedroom.

If you step back just a little and get some perspective what is on offer compared to even two or three years ago ... ALDI for example have just sold a heap of 22 inch WS LCDs with built in HD tuner for around $400. Walked out of our local branch here. Not the best brand or quality perhaps but right next to me (I'm on the laptop in the bedroom) is a sony 21 inch CRT analogue that cost me the grand total of $420 in 2003.

Adjusted for inflation that's probably more than $500 in today's dollars, at least. You can grab a 32 inch plasma for about that now. Currently the aus dollar is back to what it was very few years ago, at 70 US and around 43 pence UK so any current 'blips' in the price of imported gear due to our currency is soon going to be overtaken by the constantly downward trend of all our DTV goodies. IMHO.

Been following this thread for a while now, and after all considerations and conversations with sales staff (who aren't out to get my cash), I believe the price will increase in the New Year, though it will be in steady increments rather than a smack bang 30% as such.

I think there will DEFINITELY be a price rise as I have just bought something.

Hmm... or

I think there is NO WAY there will be a price rise as I am too much of a tight-arse all my life and I am forever holding out for the next price drop, while being eventually seduced by the next new model, then waiting for it's price to drop, thereby never buying anything.

In the end, if you are being truly objective, and have actually been following the market recently shopping for stuff, you will have to come to the conclusion that the current/next generation models of HDTVs WILL increase in price relative to what they are today, and there will be less people buying them. The superceded models WILL drop in price, as they always do, but will be relatively more expensive than the superceded models today, and there will probably be a greater proportion of people buying recently superceded models who may have previously gone for the latest and greatest.

If the price is right now for what you want now - just go buy the darn thing. The same thing in a years time WILL cost less - but who doesn't know that??? The same thing, if it is a new-release el schmiko model, may well be more expensive in 2 month's time though - but if that bothers you, just wait around for it to go obsolete and there you will have your price drop. Simple. B)

I saw those posters too - very amusing.

Read an article as well that game console sales spiked the day the $1000 bonuses were given away. Just goes to show how people have their priorities set right <_<:rolleyes:

Well the cash was given with the intention of being spent again so they are doing exactly what they were asked to. I on the other hand havent spent it as my wife wont let me buy a new screen.

The most it can do is go up for a short time and then come tumbling down as new models are released twice a year. It's not even worth spending much because you're better of buying cheap, putting the saved money on a loan or similar and then buying a new TV every 2 years (while selling the old one) - a cheap TV in 2 years will beat some costly stuff now that if bought will have you stuck watching it for a while.

Eg I remember 2 years ago, Samsung 32" LCD (720p) with about 5k contrast for $1800 was a great xmas bargain (RRP $3k), it even had an inbuilt tuner - WOW :P . Now LG sells you a 42" for $2k with a bonus 26" that is way superior in PQ to the 2yr old Samsung...