Samsung Series 6 Faults

I am not sure if this is approproate, but I thought I might start a thread specific to Samsung LCD Faults, rather then just get everyon to add to semi relevant threads.

I might as well start it off with a strange fault I am having with my LA52A650 LCD.

It is only a month old and I am very happy with my purchase and the free Blueray player I received. I had the earlier model M81 version which I gave to my dad as he liked it so much and it gave me an excuse to purchase a larger screen.

Anyway I digress, the problem I had is that if I switched it on in the morning either by the remote or front power button, all I got was the front Red LED flashing and a solanoid clicking noise and no picture. The front LED would flash also in responce to pressing a key on the remote. If I removed the power lead from the back of the set and then reconected, the TV would turn on normally via the remote, Turning the TV of again and then on would recreate the fault.

This went on for a few days before I got around to contacting the local Samsung service agent, who has booked in my job and will be coming out in a few days with a replacement board?.

But for the last 3 days the set has operated normally again, no signs of the original fault, has anyone else come up against this fault.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey buddy i just picked up the plasma version PS50A650 no problems here

Sound like the IC or transistor/related cct that drives the relay has malfunctioned it's also quite possible that this has been caused by surge damage if it's on the supply side or it could just be a sticky relay itself.

Just hope the tech can reproduce the fault, intermittance can be a ****.

Guest NajNesoog
I am not sure if this is approproate, but I thought I might start a thread specific to Samsung LCD Faults, rather then just get everyon to add to semi relevant threads.

I might as well start it off with a strange fault I am having with my LA52A650 LCD.

It is only a month old and I am very happy with my purchase and the free Blueray player I received. I had the earlier model M81 version which I gave to my dad as he liked it so much and it gave me an excuse to purchase a larger screen.

Anyway I digress, the problem I had is that if I switched it on in the morning either by the remote or front power button, all I got was the front Red LED flashing and a solanoid clicking noise and no picture. The front LED would flash also in responce to pressing a key on the remote. If I removed the power lead from the back of the set and then reconected, the TV would turn on normally via the remote, Turning the TV of again and then on would recreate the fault.

This went on for a few days before I got around to contacting the local Samsung service agent, who has booked in my job and will be coming out in a few days with a replacement board?.

But for the last 3 days the set has operated normally again, no signs of the original fault, has anyone else come up against this fault.

Think your idea is a reasonable one.

As I posted in a separate thread ...

My Samsung LA40A650 did the weirdest thing today. I changed between channels using the CHLIST button and the TV stopped dead. I had encountered a lockup issue before when unsing an older firmware version (Pre 1010) and the usual fix was to turn off the mains plug for a few moments. Since then I have upgraded right up to the latest 1012 and have had few problems

This time there was no luck. Cycling the mains resulted in the red power light blinking (as per normal 'boot') but after a few moments the light would go out, the screen would do the purple glow thing - but no TV. Once it started on an analogue channel - I don't normal store analogue channels, but switching to PRIME HD resulted in another 'stoppage'.

After about 30 minutes of power recycling, remote button pressing (and curses%$$#@), I gave up. Seemed it would be a repair job - how much chance of a repaired TV in time for Christmas?

I tried once more and the damned thing started. And it is now working okay. I hate this!!! It should either work or be dead!

Has anyone any ideas of what is going on with it? I don't suspect dry joints or heat/cooling issues (possibly overcome by letting the set cool down completely) because it did not have any time to really cool down before restarting.

Hi all,

Well I didn't think I would be writing in this forum so soon with a problem on my LA52A650. The set is 4 months old and has worked a treat since purchase...until yesterday!!

Watching the cricket on 9HD and I could hear a click, click, click just under the normal sound level, I thought I was hearing things and pointed it out to the otherts in the room. Yup I was right, they heard it too, I turned the set off and on again, away it went, for about 5 minutes, then it was back again. Same process. off and on again but this time the sound went totally after about 5 minutes, had to toggle power to rectify again. The next time (still after about 5 minutes) the sound was repalced by a high pitch buzz, off and on again fixed this.

I have also been able to stop this loss of sound or buzzing (random) by turning to analog channel 31 so it appears the problem lies with the digital tuner. I confirmed this by changing input to HDMI fox box and it ran for a couple of hours until I turned it off for the night.

Thought I would try again this morning and the problem is still there on digital TV only. all OK through HDMI etc.

I did try the SAMSUNG help line at about 5pm last night but they aren't open again until Monday 09.00.

I have thought about ringing JB's today to see if they will exchange the unit but I think I have more chace of growing my hair back!!

When making the origonal purchase the 3 year warranty swung my decision, I didn't expect to have to use it so soon though!

I will let you know how I go with repairs but doubt I will see anyone before XMAS.

Cheers, The Squid

Hi all,

Well I didn't think I would be writing in this forum so soon with a problem on my LA52A650. The set is 4 months old and has worked a treat since purchase...until yesterday!!

Watching the cricket on 9HD and I could hear a click, click, click just under the normal sound level, I thought I was hearing things and pointed it out to the otherts in the room. Yup I was right, they heard it too, I turned the set off and on again, away it went, for about 5 minutes, then it was back again. Same process. off and on again but this time the sound went totally after about 5 minutes, had to toggle power to rectify again. The next time (still after about 5 minutes) the sound was repalced by a high pitch buzz, off and on again fixed this.

I have also been able to stop this loss of sound or buzzing (random) by turning to analog channel 31 so it appears the problem lies with the digital tuner. I confirmed this by changing input to HDMI fox box and it ran for a couple of hours until I turned it off for the night.

Thought I would try again this morning and the problem is still there on digital TV only. all OK through HDMI etc.

I did try the SAMSUNG help line at about 5pm last night but they aren't open again until Monday 09.00.

I have thought about ringing JB's today to see if they will exchange the unit but I think I have more chace of growing my hair back!!

When making the origonal purchase the 3 year warranty swung my decision, I didn't expect to have to use it so soon though!

I will let you know how I go with repairs but doubt I will see anyone before XMAS.

Cheers, The Squid

Well, I rang Samsung today ( I'm out of town but the family is at home) and they gave me the number of the service agent, contacted them and they have sent out a guy, he called me when he got to my house and I described the problem, his reply was "you have a very old version of firmware, I will update this and it should fix the problem!". (4 month old TV with a very old version of firmware?????)

Well guess what, YUP he updated the firmware, left, and 5 minutes later no sound!! (I asked him to make sure he checked it had fixed the problem before he left but he must have been too busy!!!) I have called the service agent back and their guy will ring me back.....

If this is the level of technical expertise they offer I can see this being a great big pain in the A%&

Unhappily yours

Squid

Well, I rang Samsung today ( I'm out of town but the family is at home) and they gave me the number of the service agent, contacted them and they have sent out a guy, he called me when he got to my house and I described the problem, his reply was "you have a very old version of firmware, I will update this and it should fix the problem!". (4 month old TV with a very old version of firmware?????)

Well guess what, YUP he updated the firmware, left, and 5 minutes later no sound!! (I asked him to make sure he checked it had fixed the problem before he left but he must have been too busy!!!) I have called the service agent back and their guy will ring me back.....

If this is the level of technical expertise they offer I can see this being a great big pain in the A%&

Unhappily yours

• Squid

The service guy rang back and he is chasing up a board from Sydney, I would suggest it has something to do with the digital tuner, but I didn't get to speak to him (missus took the call as I'm still out of town) so i couldn't ask the hard qustions.

She did confront him with the "we'll have a new unit" cenario and he advised that they ususally do this after 3 tries at fixing it (count - strike 1)

I would doubt that the service provider would give us a "new" set I would imagine a reworked unit would be the norm so I doubt I would go with this option.

Who would hold the can in this case? JB's (supplier) samsung (manufacturer) service provider (sucker who has to fix this crap)

Has anyone else had problems with their series 6 LCD's? Speak up - what sort of after sales service and support did you strike?

I'll let you know how things pan out

I've calmed down a bit now

squid

Ive got the local Samsung service centre tech coming out in the moring to replace the suspect board? even though the original fault has not reapeared for over two weeks now. They were very persistant that they did not want to have a later call back so they would replace the board regardless.

At least this service agent Camtec Electronics will do the replaement inhouse rather then the closer agent Waytek Electronics who basically didnt give a stuff about the service and said they would call when they were in the area and they would have to take the set away.

I actually must complament Camtek Electronics as they certainly kept me up to date with the whole situation. although I may not be sying that tommorow.

Ive got the local Samsung service centre tech coming out in the moring to replace the suspect board? even though the original fault has not reapeared for over two weeks now. They were very persistant that they did not want to have a later call back so they would replace the board regardless.

At least this service agent Camtec Electronics will do the replaement inhouse rather then the closer agent Waytek Electronics who basically didnt give a stuff about the service and said they would call when they were in the area and they would have to take the set away.

I actually must complament Camtek Electronics as they certainly kept me up to date with the whole situation. although I may not be sying that tommorow.

Hey 2 see, hope all goes well with the repair. I would be very concerned if the repairer wanted to take the unit off site, I could just see them chucking it into the back of a van and driving off into the distance.....not to be seen for several weeks and many phone calls later....call me paraniod but I will say I talk from experience ( we've got your money sucker....)

we have the repairer saying he will have the board available on the 5th of Jan, but now I am losing sound through all inputs, not just the HD TV so I can see us having a $3700.00 paper weight until the new year.

The squid

Fourtunatly the tech rolled up, we had a chat about Samsung service etc while he undid what seemed like a million screws from the rear, unplugged and whipped out the large power supply board, put in a new one still sealed in its original packaging and tested it , put the million screws back, did a firemware update, made sure I was happy with the product and wished me a merry xsmas all in about 20 minutes. TV works fine, not sure what the update did but now 1020. may just be me but picture looks better, but this could be a case of the firmeware resetting all the picture settings to near default.

He had another 10 more service calls to do that day. He was happy and so was I. Deffinetly would not feel comfortable with someone taking my TV away on extended holiday knowing what service centre workshops are like. it is non intentinal but becasuse of high volume traffic things can happen. I know this from experince being an ex TV Tech from a few yeas back now.

This specific Samsung service ccentre is being geared up to be the main WA Samsung service agent with a major workshop extensions, He explained that it is easier and quicker to just do a module replacement and then either fix the faulty board at a later day on the workbench or send it back to Sammy.

Edited by 2cmoore

TV works fine, not sure what the update did but now 1020. may just be me but picture looks better, but this could be a case of the firmeware resetting all the picture settings to near default.

Interesting, I would like to get my hands on the 1020 Firmware if it's the same one as in the UK. The Samsung Australian site still has 1012.1.

Edited by Philby

Hey all,

3 days ago, I purchased the LA52650A,

And i'm already having issues. The screen was working well for the better part of 5 hours, now the entire screen is red.

You can still watch TV, but the background is very grainy and the picture is red?

Any one have a clue if this is simply a setting change or do I have to call service?

Cheers!

EDIT:

Photo's attached.

Here are some photo's of the issue

http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26122008434do7.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26122008435rq0.jpg

http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26122008436uq4.jpg

Thanks

Edited by flytsi

Hey all,

And i'm already having issues. The screen was working well for the better part of 5 hours, now the entire screen is red.

You can still watch TV, but the background is very grainy and the picture is red?

Any one have a clue if this is simply a setting change or do I have to call service?

Cheers!

You obviously have red where it should be black.

Have you adjusted any of the picture settings?

Try the "Picture Reset" option.

Hey all,

Cheers!

EDIT:

Photo's attached.

Thanks

Looks like their they incorporated their innovative design even in the image processing. I would call the support but if it isn't just a setting I would exchange it for a new one.

I am ready to buy a 650 this week but after reading all the complaints I'm not so sure anymore.

PS: The 650 looks very glossy on your photos.

Edited by ageha

I have an LA46A650A which came with 1008 firmware. So far I have not had any serious problems (touch wood), however there is one annoying problem with the HD tuner that I am wondering if others are experiencing.

Every so often (especially on 9HD), the reception gets really bad (pixelation, audio chirps etc). Checking the signal strength, it is reported as dropping to around half the normal level, and the bit error rate increases from 0 to around 5. Problem is fixed by either changing channel (which must cause the tuner to realign), or re-powering from the remote. Signal strength is then reported as normal, with no errors.

Anyone had problems after upgrading to 1012? Would be great if Samsung published release notes with their firmware updates so fixes could be verified.

I have had a 8 serie for 2 weeks and have had 2 problems.

First problem was when switching to HDMI the picture would go pink. This has happened a few times but fixes itself when I switch on and off (It also happened to a TV channel, so it mustnt be the HDMI connection)

Second happened this morning, a loud buzzing noise is coming from the back. When I switch power saver to off, it stops. If I lower backlight to low it starts again. I had enough with Samsung....

Hey all,

Cheers!

EDIT:

Photo's attached.

Thanks

Hi Flytsi,

Let us know how you go with this. I have exactly the same issue on my 46A650. It is very intermittent though. It's happened 3 times in the last 2 months, though not recently. Usually, powering off and back on again clears it. I've changed fw a few times and it still occurs, so it would appear to be hardware related. I contacted our local service agent, but they don't do service calls, so I have to take it in to them. I was going to take it in after the holiday break. At least now I can show them your photos. I never thought to take a photo and seeing the issue is very intermittent, I feared the service agent may do nothing if it sat on their work bench for 3 weeks without the problem occuring. I would really prefer to get a refund, but I've had the TV for 6 months now so I guess Samsung are only obliged to repair it.

Cheers.

Well the service agent came out today with the replacement circuit board and installed it, all working OK so I am pleased with the result.

I must comment on the sophistication of the circuit board though. Once the rear pannel is removed the main cct board isn't very big at all (about 30cm by 20cm) the only other board is for the power supply.

Lots of surface mouted components and the board is multi layered so any repairs to the board would be limited, hence the complete board change out philiosiphy nowadays.

The repair tech was very good and answered all my questions regarding relaibility of the LCD's and offered his opinion of the Samsung product (which was positive) He said if there is going to be a problem it will usually be within the first six months.

All in all I am still happy with the Samsung LCD product and would purchase again. I am also happy with the local service agent (located at Forrestville in Adelaide) who have attended to the problem as soon as possible given the XMAS break.

Cheers,

The Squid

Well the service agent came out today with the replacement circuit board and installed it, all working OK so I am pleased with the result.

I must comment on the sophistication of the circuit board though. Once the rear pannel is removed the main cct board isn't very big at all (about 30cm by 20cm) the only other board is for the power supply.

Lots of surface mouted components and the board is multi layered so any repairs to the board would be limited, hence the complete board change out philiosiphy nowadays.

The repair tech was very good and answered all my questions regarding relaibility of the LCD's and offered his opinion of the Samsung product (which was positive) He said if there is going to be a problem it will usually be within the first six months.

All in all I am still happy with the Samsung LCD product and would purchase again. I am also happy with the local service agent (located at Forrestville in Adelaide) who have attended to the problem as soon as possible given the XMAS break.

Cheers,

The Squid

What's the revision of firmware you now have?

Okay bare with me as this is my first post and it may take a while.

I have a Samsung 40" LCD (LA40A550). I have had this LCD for approx 5 months with no issues, quite happy with it.

Approx 4 weeks ago the LCD powered off and would not switch back on, this occurred in early December 08.

I followed the procedure and contacted the authourised repair center in Melbourne. Long story short, after 3 site visits and 2 x system board replacements and 1 x replacement power supply the issue remains. (each site visit requiring time off work) :angry2:

After the last visit (today 8/1/09 the LCD was operational was approx 20 minutes and then powered off again. :angry:

I am normally a very patient person but this is getting a bit beyond a joke. I am planning on contacting the repair centre again tomorrow to advise the issue has not been resolved. My question is should l now push for a replacement TV from the repairer or Samsung? I have lost all confidence in the Samsung brand and am looking from advise from forum members as to what they would do in my situation?

Thanks for your time

Edited by corey_low

I'd be pushing for a replacement.

You've given them enough chances at repairing it.

If they are having probs with it they should take it back to their workshop to rectify the prob. They should give you a loan set.

Thats the problem with inhouse repairs. If the fault is a tricky one the time involved in fitting you in with everyone else, the travelling, ordering and awaiting on parts, and constant call backs if fault isn't rectified is really a pain in the bum not only for the poor tech who has to put up with an unhappy customer, but also you as the customer as that leads to thinking I will never buy another so and so brand again. Time can stretch out to easy a couple of weeks.

Some people are just unlucky I guess.

Well after getting off the phone with the service agent yet again today the LCD will be picked up on Monday 12/01/09 and taken back to the workshop. I can see this dragging on for another 2 weeks at least.

I advised that l wanted a replacement screen but was told that technically this is only the second repair on the unit.

The second site visit to fix the unit was a replacement part that was faulty therefore technically not a repair. (How is that my problem?) :angry2:

Extremely frustrating situation, but I am thinking would the repair process be any different with other companies. eg: Pana, or LG?

Having worked in the service industry for many years, l know there is no point in having a go at the lady who is taking my calls, (especially as she is being so nice) but my patience is running short.

Edited by corey_low