Samsung Ps50a650

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a PS50A650 from Harvey Norman in Maribyrnong (Vic) for $2300 last week......should be delivered this week.

Thanks to this thread i knew what decent price i could get it for and the sales guy was happy to sell it for that.

I did want one straight away, but he rang the Chadstone store and they wouldn't do it for that price. He said their store got a better deal on the tv's so they could discount better.

Just passing on the info.

Cheers.

Sam

Jezz, I must have got a real big bargain when I paid $1850 for mine. It gets delivered this afternoon.

Um... yeah you did.

Got mine for $2098 two weeks ago. Dropped in at JB at lunch today & they've had no stock delivered... Fingers crossed for tomorrow or I will not be enjoying the long weekend as much as I planned...

Jezz, I must have got a real big bargain when I paid $1850 for mine. It gets delivered this afternoon.

Holy crap!!!! Now THATS CHEAP!

Any chance of a copy of your receipt?

Oh, and where you bought it?

Cheers

Does that include the free blu ray player Midz?

I rang up samsung, they said yes. I got the tv the other day, sending off receipt today. So see what happens?

I didn't expect to me able to get it but when i quoted the tv model (full model T1F) they said yes you can get a blu ray.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

Calabrate!!! im no videophile but i would think not,as mentioned she looks pretty good out of the box.....Cheers Ryan

I want to buy the PS50A650 as well, I was wondering why it's gotten so cheap now, under 2 grand, is it just the next model up pushing down the price. I would be so glad to get it for 2500, any less is a bonus.

Anyone updated the firmware and has it fixed anything like the sluggish channel changes ect, would like some feed back.

Thanks all.

I would like to call this thread my home. :)

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All........I'm a newbie here, but have already found some great information.

I have also just purchased a PS50A650 with an additional warranty plan from Hardley Normal......Harvey Norman........LOL

Price paid from the Chadstone store ( with additional 2 year warranty ) was $2700

Sounds like I paid a couple of Hundred too much compared to others on here ??

Anyways......After reading some reviews from actual owners, I'm packing myself about the dreaded pink hue issue and the shadowing issue with fast moving scenes ???

My choice was down to this set or the SONY LCD KDL46Z4500.......but I'm a little PLASMA biased so I went the SAMMY.

I'll be hooking up the FOXTEL IQ Box ( standard DEF ) via Scart to COMP Monster cable and a PS3 via HDMI Monster cable.

Am looking forward to a nice picture but all the negative reviews have me somewhat bemused and concerned now ??????

The TV is about a week away.........should I cancel and go something else in 50"......or are the sour reviews unfounded ?

My current set is a Hitachi 32" Plasma that I've had for 4+ years.........made in Japan..........but blew a pixel in the first 12 months. Had the panel replaced and no issues since. The Blacks are brown on that set........LOL..........but the overall experience picture wise isn't too bad.

Edited by teamjlf

I had a Samsung P9 previously.. which was a few models before that, and was quite happy with that. It was fine with fast moving scenes such as the cricket and gaming. It had a fault with the HDMI input I didn't pick up until about 18 months after I bought it (so I got payment to buy a new one, hence 650A purchased today), but I was happy with nearly everything else about it. People bagged out that model too and pointed out a lot issues which I never experienced.

I think prices were very cheap on this model around December/January, but because of the dollar I think they went back up again. Now new models are on their way, they are starting to discount again. Those prices were not available anywhere near in about 6 stores in my area. For the record I paid almost the same as your price with an extra 2year warranty as well. The price of the 2 year warranty is around $300, so really you're paying close to $2400 which is not that far off.

Picture looked excellent in the store. Mine should arrive Monday.. I'll let you know if I experience any of the issues talked about. You've got a long warranty, what you worried about? If it does experience the problems, kick up a stink and get it fixed. This is why I was not dissuaded.

Alternative is to wait weeks/months for a Panasonic, wasn't too keen on that idea.

The Panasonic TH-50PZ800A was more expensive and IMHO is a very ugly looking set.........aesthetics aside........I was also told that there is a considerable wait........another negative. + only a 12 month warranty.

Look forward to your opinion and experience with the SAMMY.....in particular the now infamous pink banding on whites ???

Would also be good to get some feedback on the best set up for this unit to get the most "natural" looking picture.

The Panasonic TH-50PZ800A was more expensive and IMHO is a very ugly looking set.........aesthetics aside........I was also told that there is a considerable wait........another negative. + only a 12 month warranty.

Look forward to your opinion and experience with the SAMMY.....in particular the now infamous pink banding on whites ???

Would also be good to get some feedback on the best set up for this unit to get the most "natural" looking picture.

Teamjlf

If you have the chance cancel the order. I have the PS58A650 model and the motion blurr and the contouring fault is so bad that basically renders the TV unwatchable on fast moving scenes. (I have this effect on all inputs and even on DVD through HDMI as well.) No chance to check the blu-ray yet, since I still have not received my Bonus blu-ray player from the christmas promotion. I hope that this video processing issue is actually caused by a faulty board and not the way the plasma works, because then it is unfixable.

I am really fedup with Samsung at the moment.

I have another 42" Panasonic in the bedroom running from the same feed and the same brand HD settop box and none of these issues are showing. Superb picture.

The pink hue is a worldwide problem now. Mine has it badly and when I rang the Samsung service and told them what is the problem, they did not even come to see the TV they ordered a new panel. (They know exactly what is wrong but not telling and not doing a recall on the TVs, hoping that not too many people will notice it and call for service.) They will replace the panel in my plasma. I will give them the mandatory 3 goes to get it fixed.

If the problems are still there I will demand a refund of my money.

I should have bought the Panasonic model or even the 60" LG would have been a better choice now.

I admit that the set looks very nice, but you are looking at the picture and not the bezel.

Edited by focus06

Calabrate!!! im no videophile but i would think not,as mentioned she looks pretty good out of the box.....Cheers Ryan

Obviously You've never seen a calibrated tv.

There is a huge difference between a calibrated picture and out of the box picture.

Teamjlf

If you have the chance cancel the order. I have the PS58A650 model and the motion blurr and the contouring fault is so bad that basically renders the TV unwatchable on fast moving scenes. (I have this effect on all inputs and even on DVD through HDMI as well.) No chance to check the blu-ray yet, since I still have not received my Bonus blu-ray player from the christmas promotion. I hope that this video processing issue is actually caused by a faulty board and not the way the plasma works, because then it is unfixable.

I have another 42" Panasonic in the bedroom running from the same feed and the same brand HD settop box and none of these issues are showing. Superb picture.

The pink hue is a worldwide problem now. Mine has it badly and when I rang the Samsung service and told them what is the problem, they did not even come to see the TV they ordered a new panel. (They know exactly what is wrong but not telling and not doing a recall on the TVs, hoping that not too many people will notice it and call for service.) They will replace the panel in my plasma. I will give them the mandatory 3 goes to get it fixed.

I should have bought the Panasonic model or even the 60" LG would have been a better choice now.

I admit that the set looks very nice, but you are looking at the picture and not the bezel.

My sister has the ps50a650 and her picture is great.

Your tv is faulty for sure,I hope everything turns out good for you.

Teamjlf

Focus 06...........that's bad news. Its kinda what's worrying me at the moment. There seems to be so much hit and miss with the Samsungs ?????

I purchased the additional warranty but don't want to have a reserved parking spot out the front of my house for the SAMMY service tech.....LOL

Seriously thinking about going for the SONY LCD KDL46Z4500. Its LCD..albeit old NON LED technology now....but pretty much all the reviews have been positive from professional reviewers and owners alike.

The SAMSUNG was getting brilliant reviews hence my interest in this set.......have a read of this :

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...g-pn50a650.html

Not so sure now.........there just seems to be so many issues with these sets. Some are good, some are bad...is the QC that bad at SAMSUNG ????

Out of curiosity, where was your manufactured..........and what year ?

Most of the bad reviews in the USA had panels made in MEXICO . Don't we source our stuff from ASIA for the AU market....??

Will be ringing Hardley Normal tomorrow to see about the possibility of the swap to the SONY ???.............I'm just not a fan of the Panasonic stuff and can't afford a PIONEER..........so it may have to be a SONY LCD.........

Focus 06...........that's bad news. Its kinda what's worrying me at the moment. There seems to be so much hit and miss with the Samsungs ?????

I purchased the additional warranty but don't want to have a reserved parking spot out the front of my house for the SAMMY service tech.....LOL

Seriously thinking about going for the SONY LCD KDL46Z4500. Its LCD..albeit old NON LED technology now....but pretty much all the reviews have been positive from professional reviewers and owners alike.

The SAMSUNG was getting brilliant reviews hence my interest in this set.......have a read of this :

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...g-pn50a650.html

Not so sure now.........there just seems to be so many issues with these sets. Some are good, some are bad...is the QC that bad at SAMSUNG ????

Out of curiosity, where was your manufactured..........and what year ?

Most of the bad reviews in the USA had panels made in MEXICO . Don't we source our stuff from ASIA for the AU market....??

Will be ringing Hardley Normal tomorrow to see about the possibility of the swap to the SONY ???.............I'm just not a fan of the Panasonic stuff and can't afford a PIONEER..........so it may have to be a SONY LCD.........

Teamjlf

Mine was manufactured in Malaysia. All the 650s are coming from there and hence the problem lies. It is obvious that QA is basically non existant, and at the same level as the Chinese made products. If it would be coming from Korea I am 100% sure the quality would be much better.

I was also fooled by all the good reviews about this set, that is why I selected it over the Panasonic. Reality is completly different.

Never the less, you can see and read about these problems on the AVS forum and see how many people are having these issues now. It is just not good.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....240&page=63

Some screens are worse than others. I would not mind to have a slight overall pink hue but the fact that my TV has them in pink columns and in between the grayish bars, makes it very noticable on all TV programs.

However beside the pink hue here is the other issue of the Samsung having incredibly bad SD video processing. The picture coming from Foxtel IQ is really bad and pixelated and showing a lot of artefact on this set. None of these are so noticable on my Panasonic which is the 42PV60A model. Still have better video processing than these new Samsungs.

If I were you I would wait for the new Panasonics.

Don't buy LCD TV you will regret it big time. Not comparable to a good Plasma. I have 32"LCD in one bedroom and 42" plasma in the other one plus the 58" Samsung in the living room.

Even the 58" Samsung has better bicture that the LCD.

If you still want to get a Sony only buy the Z series with the 200Hz motion flow. The rest is very ordinary. I sell Sony TVs to retailers and been to all the shows dispalying the new models. THe last show case they setup a display next to a Panasonc Plasma and everyone reckond that the Plasma had a better picture.

That was Sony's mistake.

But never the less if it comes to picking an LCD TV Sony is the way to go.

Edited by focus06

Well..........went back to Hardley Normal today and had a chat with a number of people. Have also been on " analysis paralysis " mode all weekend and the Samsung reviews from actual owners is a real let down. I just couldn't risk it......so I have cancelled the order. Although not a Panasonic fan.........don't like the look of their stuff aesthetically.......I have opted for the VIERA TH-50PZ850A.

I know I said I'd take the SONY LCD.......but turning away from PLASMA to go LCD was just too difficult.

Apparently this Panna has a Japanese made panel......blah blah blah.........got a good deal with only a minimal transfer price from the Sammy. Most.......repeat..most.......but not all reviews for this model have been brilliant with reviewers and owners alike.....unlike the poor Sammy where it was such a mixed bag that it was too much of a risk.

Now I just hope I can get it before Christmas.........LOL....the wait for Panasonic gear is just insane.

Well..........went back to Hardley Normal today and had a chat with a number of people. Have also been on " analysis paralysis " mode all weekend and the Samsung reviews from actual owners is a real let down. I just couldn't risk it......so I have cancelled the order. Although not a Panasonic fan.........don't like the look of their stuff aesthetically.......I have opted for the VIERA TH-50PZ850A.

I know I said I'd take the SONY LCD.......but turning away from PLASMA to go LCD was just too difficult.

Apparently this Panna has a Japanese made panel......blah blah blah.........got a good deal with only a minimal transfer price from the Sammy. Most.......repeat..most.......but not all reviews for this model have been brilliant with reviewers and owners alike.....unlike the poor Sammy where it was such a mixed bag that it was too much of a risk.

Now I just hope I can get it before Christmas.........LOL....the wait for Panasonic gear is just insane.

Teamjlf,

Good choice. You picked the right model. The 850 models are actually built in Japan. Top of the range. Picture is excellent.

Teamjlf,

Good choice. You picked the right model. The 850 models are actually built in Japan. Top of the range. Picture is excellent.

Well..............as with all things......beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Apparently the 850 has a "softer" picture than the 800......?????

Some say the 800 PQ is better than the 850 and some say the 850 is better than the 800..........sheeeeeeeesh............and I thought the Turbo v V8 argument over on the Performance Car forum that I also belong to was ****y and bad ?????

Its just unbelievable.........????.............are Panasonic that stupid..............

Anyways, this is a SAMMY thread so I will desist from contaminating it with Panasonic minutia......