Sign in to follow this  
phreek

Yamaha Rx-v3900

Yeah im pleased with the deal. Not sure about the rest of the system, any recommendations. I don't want to go super large. Any suggestions on a centre speaker would be appreciated.

Cheers

Obvious choice for me would be the HTM62 ;)

It's as close to a perfect match as you will get...

Hi Steve,

Interesting about the RX-A3000 etc.

Do you know if this model is much different from the RX-V3067 for which NPB's have been leaked online?

Cheers

Blackrose

Im a tad confused here too.

Is the RX-V3067 the Aus/UK equivalent of the US RX-A3000 Aventage or is it a different model altogether?

edit : typo

Edited by theslydog

Im a tad confused here too.

Is the RX-V3067 the Aus/UK equivalent of the US RX-A3000 Aventage or is it a different model altogether?

edit : typo

Same hound, different kennel ,by the look of it. :)

Hi Guys,

Am new to this chat site. I have had the RXV-3800 now for nearly three years and never had a problem until yesterday.

It just wont turn on. I have checked all connections and they seem fine. But its dead . Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Do you mean it "clicks off when you try to turn it on?

Firstly, unplug everything except power and try again. If it still won't power on then it's likely an internal processor failed.

Had the same thing happen to my old RX-V800. It worked for 4 years then failed. Initially it would turn itself off at random times then would not power on at all. Got it repaired and it worked for another 5 years then failed again with the same symptom.

Anyone ever have their speakers "disappear" as far as the 3900 is concerned before? Twice now I've played a Blu-Ray, DTS sound via optical (no 3D passthrough so HDMI goes to TV), thought it weird that I can't hear the surrounds, checked the speakers in the setup menu only to find it says "none", and I can't change it.

Plug in the mike and run the auto setup again and it finds the surrounds right away.

I have more testing to see if I can lose them after an AC3 track from another source, or 7ch stereo use, but thought it weird enough to ask first.

Any suggestions?

Maybe your are accidentally pressing one of the 4 "preset" buttons on the remote and setting the amp to a configuration that has rear speakers disabled?

No joy, sadly. Changing to 1080i manually every time I turn on is really starting to irritate me!

I moved house recently and when I set it all up again it starting reverting back to 576p every time it powered up, however I have found a fix. I changed in the setup menu HDMI/STANDBY THROUGH/MODE to OFF This I assume is used if you just want to watch your TIVO thru the tv without switching on the AMP, however I never do this and this has resolved the issue for me. Hope it works for the others with the same problem.

Hi Guys,

Im new here so hopefully im asking this in the right place.

I have had my 3900 setup for a few months now and overall i am very impressed, my only problem is getting the internet radio working. I have tried everything that i have been able to find on the net.

I can accces the AVR via the web interface which would incicate that lan is working but when i try to access internet radio i get "access error" or when i try to update firmware via network i get

"neterr : 02" which seems to show i have no wan access. Has anyone come accross a fix.

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys,

Im new here so hopefully im asking this in the right place.

I have had my 3900 setup for a few months now and overall i am very impressed, my only problem is getting the internet radio working. I have tried everything that i have been able to find on the net.

I can accces the AVR via the web interface which would incicate that lan is working but when i try to access internet radio i get "access error" or when i try to update firmware via network i get

"neterr : 02" which seems to show i have no wan access. Has anyone come accross a fix.

Thanks in advance

That's odd. I guess the first thing to do is to confirm for sure that your receiver is being seen by your network at home.

Check your operating system network connections to see if the 3900 is showing. I have Windows 7 and it shows under Network/Media Devices.

If it's there , you can at least be sure the 3900 is on your network, so then you know its a receiver issue, not a network issue. ( But just to double check, have you also tried to stream music from your network to the 3900 via the ? If so, does it work? )

If its a receiver issue, you'll have to work through the menu for internet radio and see whether you've missed something.

Sounds like you are on your home local network but something is blocking your access to the internet gateway. You appear to have a local IP address so you can see the receiver form your PC, but my bet is your router/modem is blocking your external access to the internet.

Can you describe your network?

ADSL Modem->router?

Modem/Router?

Modem->PC-> network switch?

Network setup is as follows,

TP Link TD-W8960N wireless 4port 10/100 modem/router, TPG is my ISP. Currently i have my PS3, TV, PC and the 3900 hardwired to the switchports with a laptop using the wireless. The strange thing is the PS3, TV, PC and laptop have no issues with internet access. I can access the web interface on the 3900 and stream content from the laptop and pc to the 3900 with no issues, so i tend to agree that it may be an issue with the router i just cant figure out what, i have updated the firmware in the router checked that UPnP is enabled, given the 3900 a static ip with proper DNS values (not the router address) alll to no avail. I have read so many posts from other forums around the world with the same problem and they seem to point to some type of DNS issue with the 3900. It really shouldn't be this difficult. Chances are i probably wouldn't use the internet radio that much i just cant stand it when features dont work like they are supposed to.

Any further suggestions appreciated.

:wacko:

Okies, I plan to be setting this guy up on Monday but have a couple more quick questions. ATM I am running the Oppo BD83 with HDMI to the TV and analogue audio out to the amp (as the amp doesn't have HDMI). When I put the 3900 in should I run everything through HDMI and let the 3900 decode audio AND video? Or would the OPPO do a better job of decoding one or the other?

Thanks.

Oppo -> HDMI to the Reviver->HDMI to the Panel/Display

I am not sure about the 3900, but the Oppo has better video processing than the Yam 3800, so I have mine Yam set to pass through all video as is.

As for the sound you want to set the Oppo to Bitstream all sound to the receiver as the Yam does a better job than the Oops onboard decoders.

The oppo uses the same anchor bay chip for video as the 3900 does so video processing should be the same either by the oppo or direct and using the 3900!

I run a cambridge audio azur b/ray and its audio output difference is hard to tell between the 2 but the 3900 nails it for video processing!

with the 3900 a cheaper blu ray player could be used and its anchor bay processing used i just found it hard to find a cheaper blue ray player that had quality sound.

Hey all, have any of you heard of this problem?

Sometimes on startup my 3900 is emitting a high pitched squeal through the rear speakers, restarting the unit fixes it. I'm not sure if this problem has been there from the start (a couple of months old) as the noise was only noticed by wife and son at first, my hearing is so shot that I have to move near to the speakers to hear it, but they reckon it's really bad. It may have just started though since I upgraded the FW to 1.11

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Director

I've had my 3900 for almost 2 years.

It has always had the "won't stay on when cold" problem. Did the new firmware ever fix that ?? Anyway, I never got round to updating the firmware.

Whenever the prob occurred, I would just pull the power cord for a few seconds and then plug it back in and it would work fine.

Until today.......... I just keep getting "MAIN ON" for about 1 second and then it turns off. Can press the On a 2nd time and same thing happens. After that, nothing unless I pull the power cord.

Whereas pulling the power cord used to fix the problem, it is not having any affect today.

I have pulled the power cord at the wall socket. Changed to a different wall socket. All the same - won't stay on for more than second.

Any ideas ?

I've had my 3900 for almost 2 years.

It has always had the "won't stay on when cold" problem. Did the new firmware ever fix that ?? Anyway, I never got round to updating the firmware.

Whenever the prob occurred, I would just pull the power cord for a few seconds and then plug it back in and it would work fine.

Until today.......... I just keep getting "MAIN ON" for about 1 second and then it turns off. Can press the On a 2nd time and same thing happens. After that, nothing unless I pull the power cord.

Whereas pulling the power cord used to fix the problem, it is not having any affect today.

I have pulled the power cord at the wall socket. Changed to a different wall socket. All the same - won't stay on for more than second.

Any ideas ?

Yes. Since you have had it less than 2 years send it in for warranty straight away.(assuming Yam have a 2 year warranty) No point discussing it as the clock is ticking. Get it fixed straight away.

Complaceny can be very expensive.

I have an issue with my Denon 3808 that I blamed everything else but the AVR. Took it into Denon service agent on Friday (still under warranty) and now it's their problem.

Edited by CC Rider

Yeah that's on the cards. Trouble is that it's so intermittent (hasn't happened since I made this post) that I haven't been able to troubleshoot, it could be one of the devices on that input channel?

I also need to ascertain if it's in all speakers or just the rears.

Cheers

Yes. Since you have had it less than 2 years send it in for warranty straight away.(assuming Yam have a 2 year warranty) No point discussing it as the clock is ticking. Get it fixed straight away.

Complaceny can be very expensive.

I have an issue with my Denon 3808 that I blamed everything else but the AVR. Took it into Denon service agent on Friday (still under warranty) and now it's their problem.

Took it in for Warranty repair. I bought it on 15 Jan 2009 so just within the standard 2 year warranty, although I used my Platinum Visa to pay for it which gives me extended warranty, but no doubt is more hassle.

Mine hadn't done it for a while, but just did it then.

I normally turn everything on with a Unversal Remote, and the remote waits 14 seconds for the TV to turn on, but tonight when I turned it on the TV missed its turn on signal, so I ended up turning it on after everything else was on (the AVR etc)...

576p here we go.

Monitor Check is already disabled.

I might have a fiddle to see if I can reliably reproduce the problem now...

Then I think its time to hassle Yamaha about it...

So, I looked into this a lot. As far as I can work out

1) If you have your Yamaha AVR on, and your TiVo on and your TV on and everything is setup correctly (so TiVo on Native or Fixed 1080i) then you turn on/off your tv, the tivo will reset to Fixed 576p

2) If you instead turn off/on your AVR, it will be fine

3) If you turn off your TV and AVR (order unimportant) then turn on the TV, and wait a good long time... say 10 seconds... then turn on the AVR... the TiVo will be fine.

This is happening to me with both an old Samsung F81 and a brand new Samsung 55" D8000. For the last few months the F81 has been flaky, meaning I haven't been turning it off at night, so I had forgotten about this issue.

The solutions I can think of are

1) Never turn off the TV - no thanks

2) Ensure TV turns on first, then AVR 10 seconds later. Not a bad solution, just not sure how to do this with my Harmony One

3) TiVo Australia could fix this. TiVo in the US released tivo software Version 14.7RC7 which resolved this issue, but in Australia we only have version 11

4) I assume Yamaha could fix this too. But they have said they won't.

and probably

5) I remember there used to be a DVI Detective device, which solved these problems for DVI connections.... yep, there is an HDMI Detective device now... http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005 I suspect this would solve the problem. Better to work out how to do it with the harmony tho ;)

I spent about 4 hours today trying all the HDMI Pass-through, monitoring, on off, combinations today. Essentially they make no difference. Also tried the latest Yam Z7 firmware. Again no difference.

I'm pretty certain the only solutions are the 5 options I listed above.

Here is a post from TiVo's own support site in the US

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/di...PostID=10440354

This is the issue

5) I remember there used to be a DVI Detective device, which solved these problems for DVI connections.... yep, there is an HDMI Detective device now... http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005 I suspect this would solve the problem. Better to work out how to do it with the harmony tho ;)

Here is more information on the HDMI Detective Plus from Gefin

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/switchers/7...ctive-plus.html

Probably going to order one of these. Figure it will become an invaluable part of my system anyway.

edit:

Thinking of ordering one from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6885...ctive_Plus.html

seems to be the best shipped price i can find

Edited by Stux