Samsung Series 9 Led, Disappointed....

Hi all.

I've been through 3 faulty Samsung 46" 6 Series in a row and after 4 months of appalling customer service from their head office, they've finally agreed to credit the purchase (yay).

The local store has offered to replace my tv with a 7 series for an extra $560 (meaning I would effectively have paid $3150 for the 46" 7 series) or $1260 to upgrade to the 46" 9 series (meaning I would have paid $3850).

I don't think these are particularly good swap over prices given the BS I've been put through for 4 months....I need to decide by tonight which way I'll go.

Definitely not touching another 6 series; have looked at other brands and not too impressed with their picture quality.

Are the prices I'm being offered reasonable or a rip off?

I wouldn't go with Samsung after that...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 52" 6 Series which has been faultless, and about to purchase the 55" 9 series.

What faults have you been getting?

Cheers

Hi.

I've had extremely poor backlight clouding on all 3, my current set the blotchy clouding is all confined to the right side of the screen and there is a greenish tinge to part of it as well. Watching any dark scenes even with a low backlight setting is unbearable.

I've also had daily lockups, eg you go to turn on tv, red led light blinks to acknowledge it is about to turn on an then nothing...screen controls dont work, remote does nothing and you end up having to pull the plug out from behind the hometheatre (a big pain in the ***) and then plug it back in. All of this with the latest firmware.

The samsung tech visited onsite and agreed it was stuffed but wanted to take it away for repair. I refused as Samsung HO had agreed it was unacceptable for 3 faulty sets in a row to then have a new tv in for repair.

I'm now waiting for the owner of the store to confirm details and I am hoping to finally have this saga resolved tomorrow!

A quick check in Domayne / JB / HN revealled the swap over prices I was given seemed fairly good. HN salesperson told me the 9 series wouldn't be sold for less than $4500 and may go up in Jan.

I was leaning towards the 7 series but not sure if I should just bite the bullet and get the 9 series and avoid the conventional backlighting of the 6/7/8 series.

Is the 9 series worth paying an extra $1260 or should I just stick with the 7 series and $560 extra?

• 3 weeks later...
There's a firmware 1010 out... Anybody tried it yet??

Hey nice find, I usually check the site daily..

I'm HOPING this is the version (1020) that the UK have with auto dimming/improved picture quality/improved remote responsiveness.

Why the hell is it so hard for Samsung to put a description of the firmware up?

I'm HOPING this is the version (1020) that the UK have with auto dimming/improved picture quality/improved remote responsiveness.

Is the UK firmware "1020" 100% safe with the Australian model, as the Aussie site has the "1010" firmware listed as the latest as of today.

Daily?? Wow.. I feel lucky... Maybe I should try my luck @ powerball again. :lol: :lol:

Not sure what is new in this update though... the checksums for exeDSP is different but the file size is the same. Still trying to figure out exactly what that executable is supposed to do.

I hope this update has improved WiseLink Pro functionality but that seems unlikely..

So ur saying this 1010 is new as of today? Worthwell to upgrade? Have u upgraded it yet?

Is the UK firmware "1020" 100% safe with the Australian model, as the Aussie site has the "1010" firmware listed as the latest as of today.

try it and see? It prob will not work.. why is the UK 10 revision ahead of us I wonder..

has anyone tried gaming on this screen?? i like the PQ in movies etc but heard the lag was borderline unacceptable to gaming etc.. possibly due to the increased processing needed by the LED componentry etc

Not much of a gamer now, but if it's any consolation, Wii games still work :ninja::lol: :lol: ...

BTW, what kind of games require critical user->screen responsiveness? FPS, drive sim, figters? Would think the games in the current gen is not as technical as when I was a kid and lag shouldn't be much of an issue...

Edited by treblid

Daily?? Wow.. I feel lucky... Maybe I should try my luck @ powerball again. :lol: :lol:

Not sure what is new in this update though... the checksums for exeDSP is different but the file size is the same. Still trying to figure out exactly what that executable is supposed to do.

I hope this update has improved WiseLink Pro functionality but that seems unlikely..

So ur saying this 1010 is new as of today? Worthwell to upgrade? Have u upgraded it yet?

try it and see? It prob will not work.. why is the UK 10 revision ahead of us I wonder..

Not much of a gamer now, but if it's any consolation, Wii games still work :ninja::lol: :lol: ...

BTW, what kind of games require critical user->screen responsiveness? FPS, drive sim, figters? Would think the games in the current gen is not as technical as when I was a kid and lag shouldn't be much of an issue...

The Firmware is version 1013.

I'll put it on tonight and report back.

The Firmware is version 1013.

I'll put it on tonight and report back.

1013?? Where did u get it? If it did not brick your unit, pls share.. :P I want better WiseLink Pro.. :huh:

According to samsung abt 1010:

1010 firmware is essentially the same core firmware, but in a more optimized software packet and a smaller footprint, functionality remains the same.

I cant remember the article but it was yeh more FPS's that had the lag problem, especially the faster more actiony ones... the reviewers said reasonably often they would turn into a hallway but instead hit the wall or something.. could be a problem with some games i guess..

ive decided on the 58" 6 series anyway i think

Whoops, just realised you're/everyone is talking about Series 9, not Series 6.

Back in my tank I go.

:lol: 6 and 9 are similiar I guess. I wonder... if it's possible to mish and mash files between 6 and 9 (6 has WiseLink?).. maybe swapping exe.img or something from 9 to 6 will get video playback on the 6? :P

Anyhoo... 1010 is a dud.. WiseLink Pro seems to not squish "The Simpsons" now, but HK news is still squished. Mouse cursor on black background seems to be ok now (But i'd confirm if that's really the case.)

So much potential in WiseLink, but so buggy... Can't expect much from Samsung I guess. :(

Guest Steven12

Just so you guys know i also recently purchased a 55" 950 for $5000 on Monday. I was suppose to buy one at Xmas which was going for $4700 but didnt have the money so im kind of pissed off at myself since i hae to pay a extra $300 but oh well.

They aren't getting any cheaper tho.

I'll let you guys know how my set is, apparently it is going to be a January build as December build has all ran out of stock.

Just so you guys know i also recently purchased a 55" 950 for $5000 on Monday. I was suppose to buy one at Xmas which was going for $4700 but didnt have the money so im kind of pissed off at myself since i hae to pay a extra $300 but oh well.

They aren't getting any cheaper tho.

I'll let you guys know how my set is, apparently it is going to be a January build as December build has all ran out of stock.

Fairly certain i saw a post last week that someone got the 9 55" for $4500 inc extra 2 years warranty. So depends on who you buy through.

I bet that post made him real HAPPY.

HDrocks :P

And I think he will be.. Given it's a Jan build and all.. The later the build of these Samsungs, the better it will likely be (they like to do unannounced rolling updates and claim absolutely nothing is wrong with the old sets).

Steve pls report the firmware when you get it. I hope you don't have to wait long..

I picked up my LA55A950 the other day, seems its a december build (9th digit in serial is C), firmware is 2008/11/12_001010 whatever that means. Noticed an issue with screen dimming and returning to normal every so often yesterday.... but seems to have stopped now.

• 11 months later...