Sony W4500, Z4500 And Xbr45

Well I got my TV, managed to get HN down to $2880 inc 5yr Warranty, Also got a PS3 with 5yr Warranty and am waiting for the Blu-Ray to arrive in the post. I am pretty happy with the purchases and even a normal DVD through the PS3 is pretty sweet. Have not put a Blu-Ray in there yet but I'm sure I will be impressed even further. Killzone 2 just rocks on that TV!!!!!!!! Have hunted around on a few forums and have tried a few settings and now am pretty happy with the colour.

Ta

Matt

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you care to post what settings you have used.

I have the 52" Z and have been fiddling around with the settings.

Just interested to see what you have used.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a KDL40W4500 and was wondering if anyone has any calibration settings, i only have aPS3 and the on-board tuner.

Picture is generally very good, just want some help tweaking it.

Cheers

I'm in a dilemma atm. I recently went into the market for a 40" LCD and after some research, I came to the conclusion that the XBR or Z series was for me. At the same time I found out that Sony had a free BLU-Ray promotion which has just ended. The problem is, now that I know I'll JUST miss out on a free BLU-Ray player, it puts me a little off from purchasing a TV because I'll either have to now fork out for a player or go without one knowing If I was a little earlier to the table I would have scored myself a free BLU-Ray.

Anyone know of any other deals that could possibly put my mind at ease or maybe balance out missing out on the player at all? Unfortunately, I need a new incentive now if I'm to buy a Sony TV =(

Edited by Ghosn

They seem to roll out a new bundle every 6 months or so, so if you are willing to wait that long...

Or wait until one of the other brands does a bundle deal, and get one of their panels. Otherwise, just accept you are in the market at the wrong time and get one anyway...and enjoy your screen now.

I'm in a dilemma atm. I recently went into the market for a 40" LCD and after some research, I came to the conclusion that the XBR or Z series was for me. At the same time I found out that Sony had a free BLU-Ray promotion which has just ended. The problem is, now that I know I'll JUST miss out on a free BLU-Ray player, it puts me a little off from purchasing a TV because I'll either have to now fork out for a player or go without one knowing If I was a little earlier to the table I would have scored myself a free BLU-Ray.

Anyone know of any other deals that could possibly put my mind at ease or maybe balance out missing out on the player at all? Unfortunately, I need a new incentive now if I'm to buy a Sony TV =(

I bought the KDL40E4500 about a month ago for just under $2400 with the free blu-ray player. Sony centre is now selling the same tv for just under $2000 so the free blu-ray is basically covered by that. Depending how much that player retails for. Read up on backlight bleed before you buy though. I wish I did.

Edited by Cam24
I bought the KDL40E4500 about a month ago for just under $2400 with the free blu-ray player. Sony centre is now selling the same tv for just under $2000 so the free blu-ray is basically covered by that. Depending how much that player retails for. Read up on backlight bleed before you buy though. I wish I did.

Thanks for the info altho the screen u mention about backlight bleed is not one of the ones on my list. Does the XBR or Z suffer from what your screen does?

Damian

5500 series : not one mm of technical data on it yet.

The 4000/4500 series was ultra light on tech data too.

Ultra cheap when you get the back off too.

Edited by hideous

CALL SONY - i keep repeating this - call Sony and make the lazy bastards work.

First thing they will try will be a new LCD panel. If that looks like crap - call again - and call and call.

This way you will either be offered a new one, another model or your money back.

Call Sony and complain.

Keep the bastards honest for selling crap Malaysian product with Korean LCD's pretending its "quality"

CALL AND COMPLAIN

Don’t blame Malaysia or Korea for quality issues, Sony sets production standards and got what they paid for. Quality is taking a back seat as consumers demand lower and lower prices year on year, it’s just not sustainable.

Walked into Bing Lee on Sunday 19th April (last day of Bluray promotion) at 15 minutes before closing. Offered s/a $2,700 for KDL 40Z4500 and he said yes straight away - no further negotiation. So far TV picture is excellent.

Only negative comment is that the DLNA features are primitive; no video support, audio supports only MP3, and even picture viewing is slow and prone to false colours. I knew all this before buying, but primitive DNLA is not something I wanted. The average technophobe won't know what DLNA is for, nor how to set it up, while your average technofile will connect an HTPC instead. So why did Sony bother? Without multi-codec support, video and wireless, DLNA is a pointless IMHO.

Later walked into Bunnings and bought two 1m x 20mm x 3mm steel straps which I cut and drilled to make a wall-mount. Cost me about $12 rather than store models costing $150. I suspect wall-mounts are another area where stores are gouging.

DNLA : yes the new Sony's and their playstation menu's - I want to watch TV: not play audio, a game or anything other than watch TV.

It's slow enough with "pictures and symbols" - plain english is a good start.

it took Sony 3 years to make a DIVEX compatable player let alone DLNA. unless its Sony approved and copyrighted you will never see an open source video DLNA input

I just bought brand new Sony 40XBR45 LCD at david jones Sydney with a FREE Blu-ray BDP-S550 (take home rigth away!). I paid only $2430 (RRP $3499)with 1 yr warranty)with total of 4 year warranty. (1 yr Sony and 3 years DJ no lemon warranty)

They price matched $2449 sony centre and $220 for extra DJ warranty also giveaway a free blu-ray (no need to wait weeks!! just get it from them!!) and most importantly I noticed that there is a DJ gift card promotion every $200 you got $20 gift card. so Ibought $2400 gift card and got $240 free (=10% off)

Good deal?

Hi Ricky or anyone else that managed to get this LCD at $2449 or below. Could u pls email me the receipt at ghosn@bigpond.net.au

Thanks in advance

Damian

Hi Ricky or anyone else that managed to get this LCD at $2449 or below. Could u pls email me the receipt at ghosn@bigpond.net.au

Thanks in advance

Damian

Since that guy never responded, and the fact that he said DJ's gave him the BR player leads me to belive he's been telling Porkies.

Anyway I digress, we paid around $2700 in March for the 40XBR45 including the BDP-S550. I figured if the BDP-S550 is worth around $500, then $2200 is a good price to pay. I'm sure now that the promotion has ended that you should be able to get the TV cheaper.

Cheers

Dave

Just took the plunge today and picked myself up a brand new 40Z4500 for $2550. Very happy with the price and extremely happy with the TV!!! I get foxtel put in tomorrow so I can't wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Has got to be the hardest decision whether to go for the XBR Z or WE in the market at the moment.

Makes it even harder that I am looking for one now and not a couple of months ago when I could have got a free BluRay player out of it.

Also, 46 inch vs 40 inch... I know bigger is better yeh yeh but really... 46 inch tv means that someones head on the screen will be slightly bigger...

Bigger is always better. No exception :)

If its your 'movie' tv - you want as big as you can afford - if its a family tv for watching the news/general viewing then you can get away with smaller.

No sure what your getting at re:size of someones head.... if your meaning bigger than life-size its sort of depends on the actual scene/shot :-)

Cheers,

Bitey

I understand that bigger is better and this is considerably noticeable going from a 36 inch set to say a 52 inch set.

But the difference between 40 and 46 is minimal especially if I am only sitting 2m away.

I suppose what I am saying is... am I really going to be annoyed that i didnt get that 15% more if i settle for the 40 inch...

15% more for an extra 500 bucks for the Z series... is it worth it.... could i put my money into something else

Would you trade up to 15% of your tv for something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I hadn't really considered Sony as I am budget conscious but I had a look in David Jones today and was really impressed with the Bravia's. I was thinking more along the lines of going Plasma however the strong backlighting of the LCD's might get me over the line. The one I was specifically interested in was the 46" W5500 and I was quoted $3k for it. Can anyone tell me strenghts/limitations of this TV and is $3k a good price to pay? Another thing how does this TV respond to showing sports like NRL and soccer? I know Plasma's are generally better for this but I like watching movies as well in medium to dark light. I just didn't like how the Plasma's seemed too dim, but maybe that's cause I'm used to a strong backlight for my laptop. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

How long does a model stay on the market before it is superceded by a newer model? The Z4500 have only been available around 6 months and already the Z5500 range has been announced.

Just purchased a KDL46XBR45 for $3657 INCLUDING three warrantee. The salesman told me nobody is buying Sonys anymore so lots of discounting.

• 3 weeks later...
Guys I hadn't really considered Sony as I am budget conscious but I had a look in David Jones today and was really impressed with the Bravia's. I was thinking more along the lines of going Plasma however the strong backlighting of the LCD's might get me over the line. The one I was specifically interested in was the 46" W5500 and I was quoted $3k for it. Can anyone tell me strenghts/limitations of this TV and is $3k a good price to pay? Another thing how does this TV respond to showing sports like NRL and soccer? I know Plasma's are generally better for this but I like watching movies as well in medium to dark light. I just didn't like how the Plasma's seemed too dim, but maybe that's cause I'm used to a strong backlight for my laptop. Cheers.

Just saw your post, & wondering how you went with your buying.

I bought one of these Bravia 46W5500 early June, cost 2790 + 289 for +4 y warrantee, from JB

Haven't regretted it at all...extremely pleased with the picture Q.

Watch a lot of AFL...very good, the 100 htz gives good motion

Plenty of scope with picture settings...has strong backlighting, but adjustable as required.

No backlight clouding on mine (have seen reports from others of this)

Have you bought one yet??

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
Just purchased a KDL46XBR45 for $3657 INCLUDING three warrantee. The salesman told me nobody is buying Sonys anymore so lots of discounting.

Hey mate, care to share some light where u got that from? I'm looking to buy a KDL46XBR45 too. Thanks heaps.

Hey mate, care to share some light where u got that from? I'm looking to buy a KDL46XBR45 too. Thanks heaps.

Harvey Norman. And I am REALLY pleased with the tv, you wont regret the purchase.

Harvey Norman. And I am REALLY pleased with the tv, you wont regret the purchase.

Which HN did you get it from if I may ask? I was thinking of getting one myself in the next few days.

Did anyone come across a similar good offer? I know DJ in Sydney CBD have an offer for around $4200 incl. of a Sony blue-ray player?

Which HN did you get it from if I may ask? I was thinking of getting one myself in the next few days.

Did anyone come across a similar good offer? I know DJ in Sydney CBD have an offer for around $4200 incl. of a Sony blue-ray player?

Bundall, but also Clive Anthony offered same price. $4200 isnt that good, that would have plenty of movement even including a BD player.

There was an ad in today's Sunday Age by Sony Centre (Melb Central and Chapel St) advertising the free Blu-Ray player with any LCD.

I saw they included the 46XBR45, which was priced at around 4k if memory serves correctly.

I was interested in the 55XBR45 so I called up, and the dude said that Sony has stopped production of them as the RGB LEDs are too expensive to produce? Apparently their new model range of LEDs will be arriving around October some time, but he couldn't be sure.

There was an ad in today's Sunday Age by Sony Centre (Melb Central and Chapel St) advertising the free Blu-Ray player with any LCD.

there is a sony centre in melb central? i went to the one in galleria priced 4.7k

KDL 46XBR45 for $2899

at JB hifi chatswood.

Display model last one.

alvinder

DJ's have brand new KDL46XBR45's ticketed at $2999 which would be a better value proposition.

I'd be very wary of buying display models also.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by ponlesabor
DJ's have brand new KDL46XBR45's ticketed at $2999 which would be a better value proposition.

I'd be very wary of buying display models also.

EDIT: Spelling

wow! what DJ's in sydney did you get that price at? I went into myer chatswood and got told the usual RRP...!

am tossing up between a new 52" W series or a 46" XBR..... If I can pick an XBR up for under 3k id be very tempted to grab it...!

wonder if I could get JB or DJ's etc down much more from 2999 ?

wow! what DJ's in sydney did you get that price at? I went into myer chatswood and got told the usual RRP...!

It was advertised on the Daily Telegraph on Thursday.

Hi guys this is my first post and I'm still trying to get my head around it all, so please go easy on me.

I'm chasing some advice.

I have bought the 52inch Sony Bravia KDL-52Z4500 & I'm trying to connect my Western Digital pasport to the usb connection so I can watch my 30gb of AVI files.

Is anyone able to point me in the right diretcion

Sony has now posted RRPs for their new models online.

KDL40W4500 = $2,699

KDL46W4500 = $3,399

KDL52W4500 = $4,399

KDL40Z4500 = $3,399

KDL46Z4500 = $4,099

KDL52Z4500 = $5,099

KDL40XBR45 = $3,999

KDL46XBR45 = $6,999

KDL55XBR45 = $9,999

So, has anyone seen these in stores yet? Purchased? What price did you haggle.

I've been waiting for the 46" W4500 and its RRP is a lot lower than what I was expecting (based on the launch prices of previous models)

I have bought the 52inch Sony Bravia KDL-52Z4500 & I'm trying to connect my Western Digital pasport to the usb connection so I can watch my 30gb of AVI files.

Get a WD Media Player....the USB port on the Sony is only capable of diaplaying photos and playing music. It doesn't decode video

Get a WD Media Player....the USB port on the Sony is only capable of diaplaying photos and playing music. It doesn't decode video

Any other good prices on the Bravia 46" XBR ??

If not i may try and get DJ's to match JB's price of $2799 ... very keen to buy soon..

Wonder when the replacement XBR's are going to be announced ?

Any other good prices on the Bravia 46" XBR ??

If not i may try and get DJ's to match JB's price of $2799 ... very keen to buy soon..

Wonder when the replacement XBR's are going to be announced ?

DJ Chatswood has the ticketed price of $2999 for Bravia 46" XBR45