Sony W4500, Z4500 And Xbr45

New Sony Central store in Helensvale, Gold Coast opening tomorrow. I phoned them and said I was quoted $4275 for a 52" Z series. The salesman said that that was a keen price, and that we would be able to do a deal for me, but could not give me a price over the phone. He suggested I come in personally "when I was ready to buy".

It therefore seems to me that they can go lower than $4275. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how much I should try and squeeze him for? Or should I accept $4275, and get him to throw in a set of HDMI cables (or hopefully a Blu-Ray player) into the deal?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that price include the 200 days extended warranty that they are offering?

AND do they have them in stock?

Not sure if it includes the warranty, but as this is an offer from SONY headoffice, I am sure that it will include the warranty no matter what price SONY Central sell the unit for. I will report back after I do to the store tomorrow.

No one has stock yet. Official launch date from SONY Central is 23 December. Unless you really are dying to get a TV now (and I am), I suggest buying after the Christmas rush, during the sale period. Don't be fooled by price increases etc. etc. - remember the economy has slowed and sales have dropped - the salespeople need us, and we can push them to the limit.

Not sure if it includes the warranty, but as this is an offer from SONY headoffice, I am sure that it will include the warranty no matter what price SONY Central sell the unit for. I will report back after I do to the store tomorrow.

No one has stock yet. Official launch date from SONY Central is 23 December. Unless you really are dying to get a TV now (and I am), I suggest buying after the Christmas rush, during the sale period. Don't be fooled by price increases etc. etc. - remember the economy has slowed and sales have dropped - the salespeople need us, and we can push them to the limit.

Hi, That is a good price. I am waiting for a 52" and been searching the net. 4349.00 was the best offered and from a "Internet" site linked to the NARTA buying group. Keep us posted as the the price and delivery date. I have also been told last week december for delivery

What is the response time of the KDL46W4500?

I tried to find this out a while back and Sony weren't able(or didn't want) to tell me the answer. The old ones were of course 8 ms but the newer ones is anyones guess. Theres no mention of it in the Manual's specs section just the generic stuff.

If they were still using the same plant as Samsung for these panels well you can probably assume that they are the same iirc 5 ms or so but if they went with the AU optronics plant, then we will have to wait for a more technical release somewhere. I seem to recall in the 40" and up screens there was a stage a while ago were the larger panels were made in one location and the smaller ones in another. One the samsung joint venture and the other with AU optronic.

Anyway 8msec 5 msec hmm my eyes can't tell a 3 ms difference B)

Is it 200 days or 200 weeks extended warranty?

Also where did you read that the extended warranty is from Sony?

Hi Grunta,

Have you heard anything further on this rumour?

I doubt that they would drop the price on a brand new model by this much at this early stage (but would be nice if they did!) :)

I know that WOW Sight and Sound etc were selling the 52" W4000 in Brisbane for ~$2900 last week but were sold out at the Gabba/Annerley. This would being the 46" W4000 down in line with the pricing mentioned above. Perhaps there was a mixup on the models ?

Edited by graham_w

Is it 200 days or 200 weeks extended warranty?

Also where did you read that the extended warranty is from Sony?

Extended warranty offered by Sony Centre stores only - not Sony Australia. Promotion is valid until 24 December. The following is from the terms and conditions:

Sony Centre stores are operated by independent owners. Sony Australia Pty Ltd does not operate Sony Centre stores and does not make any offer by this catalogue.

However, the terms and conditions also refer to the Quantum of Solace promotion run by Sony Australia. Also, the Sony Centre sales rep implied that they get better offers from Sony Australia. In any event, I will see what transpires when I go into the store tomorrow and will report back.

Edited by mohammedm

HI all

am posting after a long time, iam after a sony w 4500 40 in . i been lookin at stores in and around gc ,so far the best quote i have got is 2050 for the same from jb hifi at robina, they said come back and we can talk again ,i am presumin another 100 off. i am shocked how they can lower it that much bcoz the listed price is 2699 and catalouge price is 2321 . do u think it will get any lower ,can anybody tell the best price they have got for this model and the big question will they come with a ps3 combo offer bcoz as far as i can see sony is losin sales ,one of my friends liked the sony but bought samsung a 650 40 in as it came with bd player and cost only 1900. ,thanks a lot

cheers

Extended warranty offered by Sony Centre stores only - not Sony Australia. Promotion is valid until 24 December. The following is from the terms and conditions:

Sony Centre stores are operated by independent owners. Sony Australia Pty Ltd does not operate Sony Centre stores and does not make any offer by this catalogue.

However, the terms and conditions also refer to the Quantum of Solace promotion run by Sony Australia. Also, the Sony Centre sales rep implied that they get better offers from Sony Australia. In any event, I will see what transpires when I go into the store tomorrow and will report back.

Just back from the new Sony Centre opening on the Gold Coast. Here's the deal:

1. 52" Z series now being said to arrive in first week in January and Sony Centre store "will get one of the first shipments".

2. 200 week extended warranty only available on full ticket price ($4900). Otherwise it will cost you $449. This is specific to Sony Central stores.

3. Best price quoted for 52" Z series was $4075 - no extended warranty, and price was only available today as an opening special. I would also have had to put a 20% deposit.

I did not put the deposit as I will wait for stock to arrive, and also I am sure that if they could quote me this price today, any store will be able to quote that price when they have stock. Also, I wanted input from the forum: do you suggest I take it at $4075 only, or should I opt for $4075 and take the extended 200 week warranty for $449?

I’ve pretty much decided on 46” Z. Initial quote $3650, plus $675 for Topfield 7100 (lucky Good Guys have it for $689 in catalogue) and $385 for Sony 350 Blu-Ray - $4710 all up. Should be able to lower it a bit but I’m not a good haggler – no way I’ll get the amazing prices that some people report (^^ $4075 is a great price for 52” Z – only $400 more than I’m looking at for 46” but I’m not near a Sony Central). I’ll aim for $4500 and see how I go.

I’ll look at extended warranty cost but only after checking fine print to see if it actually covers anything worthwhile. I already have cables (Ezy-HD) and surge protector (Belkin) sorted, so won’t get caught by that. Tempted by 52” W4500 but I think I’ll stick with the Z. I’m amazed at the prices being asked for the old X series. DJ’s have them at above Sony RRP. Didn’t bother making an offer. Was hoping 52” X might go down towards $3000 but nowhere near.

I’ll look at extended warranty cost but only after checking fine print to see if it actually covers anything worthwhile. I already have cables (Ezy-HD) and surge protector (Belkin) sorted, so won’t get caught by that.

Does this mean if I dont use Ezy-HD cables & a surge protector I can't claim on extended warranty ?? I haven't read the fine print. ;)

Just back from the new Sony Centre opening on the Gold Coast. Here's the deal:

1. 52" Z series now being said to arrive in first week in January and Sony Centre store "will get one of the first shipments".

2. 200 week extended warranty only available on full ticket price ($4900). Otherwise it will cost you $449. This is specific to Sony Central stores.

3. Best price quoted for 52" Z series was $4075 - no extended warranty, and price was only available today as an opening special. I would also have had to put a 20% deposit.

I did not put the deposit as I will wait for stock to arrive, and also I am sure that if they could quote me this price today, any store will be able to quote that price when they have stock. Also, I wanted input from the forum: do you suggest I take it at $4075 only, or should I opt for $4075 and take the extended 200 week warranty for $449?

~$4000 seems like a fairly good price at these early stages.

Re the extended warranty, if you look in the back page of the Sony Pulse book, you can get the Extended Warranty direct from Sony for $349. I don't believe i've ever paid over the listed Sony price for the extended warranty whenever i've purchased product from Video Pro and taken extended warranty. I would raise that question with them if you are interested in going further with it.

Re the "Today Only" price - sounds like a typical salesman spiel. I'd wait till they land and then see what the different stores can offer. I think what you say is correct - if they can offer close to $4000 now, what will they be able to offer when they land and other stores have them to sell also ?

Despite the talk of 15% increases in a few months time, I think you will find the marked price of the TV's in store will not change that much, just the "discount" offered by retailers will be reduced. They (stores) cannot afford to have Sony prices go up 15% - they are already priced at a premium over other TV's and another 15% will find that some stores will just simply not be able to move them, apart from those who are absolutely stuck on Sony.

These are just my opinions and you should form no purchasing decisions on them ;)

Edited by graham_w

I ended up paying $3500 for the 46” Z, $650 for Topfield 7100 and $340 for Sony 350 Blu-Ray. I let myself get talked into extended warranty at $400, so total was $4890. I know I should have done better with the warranty but overall I’m very happy and if (as I expect) I go 5 years without needing the warranty, I’ll be happier still. I could have got an X3100 for $2900 but I think the Z is worth the extra.

The picture quality out of the box is great. I’ll experiment with a few adjustments soon (I've seen suggestions for the W4500 so might try them). Haven’t got a wall mount yet, so I’m only sitting about 2.5m from it. Screen seems huge (replacing 68cm 4:3) but I’m already getting used to it. FTA broadcasts look good, even on analogue. I may upgrade antenna and cables down the track but don’t need to for now. Have not yet hooked up PVR or Blu-ray but all is good so far.

The prices look the same to me.

Which ones have dropped ?

The original prices for the XBR45 Series were:

KDL40XBR45 = $3,999

KDL46XBR45 = $6,999

KDL55XBR45 = $9,999

Prices on Sony site are now:

KDL40XBR45 = $3,099

KDL46XBR45 = $6,099

KDL55XBR45 = $9,099

Looks like just this range has had a price drop of $900 all round.

The original prices for the XBR45 Series were:

KDL40XBR45 = $3,999

KDL46XBR45 = $6,999

KDL55XBR45 = $9,999

Prices on Sony site are now:

KDL40XBR45 = $3,099

KDL46XBR45 = $6,099

KDL55XBR45 = $9,099

Looks like just this range has had a price drop of $900 all round.

not for the new models only the old stuff

Edited by parso_rex