Sony W4500, Z4500 And Xbr45

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I viewed the new XBR and Z series @ Sony Centre Perth CBD. To me the XBR seemed to have a greater dynamic range and the Z a sharper picture (both on the same demo reel). Since this was a technology preview evening, I assume they were both set up to optimise performance.

Nothing too special on price for these, but the 2 Sony Centre stores in Perth are having a major sale this Friday & Saturday.

Guest bobsmells

I just wandered down to the Sony Central shop in Perth in my lunch hour because they're having a 2 day sale, and they have the new KDL46Z4500 for a smidgen under $3500 which is pretty good, over $600 off Sony's RRP. The 52 inch is not in stock yet.

[Deleted by the DTV Forum Mod - posts are not allowed to include references to the names of other people]

Seen all these sets .... 200hz is just double the artifacts IMO.

Most proper calibrations tell you to turn off interpolation so I bought the 50 hz w and love it.

I rank the motion like this.

1 motion flow pro ... awesome tech (tiny artifacts, maybe lag but no blur)

2 BE2 50hz (no artifacts no lag tiny blur)

3 motionflow + BE2 (artifacts lag but no blur)

4 200hz (big artifacts)

5 motion flow + be1 (big artifacts, blur, lag and smear on old series)

My w 4000 is impossible to fault on any action or sport. On par with my old viera plasma. Im sure all BE2 sets would be like this with motionflow off.

Edited by mantronic

Hello :)

DTV newbie, first post.

I was wondering about THESE Z series bravias because I haven't found one in store yet and I haven't been able to find a review on them anywhere. I thought the 200hz thing would just be a gimmick but wanted to confirm before I bought a pioneer in the next few days. Mantronics last post was a little dissapointing but I can't say surprising, Anyone else know anything about this 200hz technology?

I am one of those people who is intensely aware of motion blur, juddering, etc which is annoying because LCD's have several advantages over plasma which would really suit me, (eg running PC, PS3, etc). I was hoping it would negate any of these issues but I knew it would be a long shot.

Hello :)

DTV newbie, first post.

I was wondering about THESE Z series bravias because I haven't found one in store yet and I haven't been able to find a review on them anywhere. I thought the 200hz thing would just be a gimmick but wanted to confirm before I bought a pioneer in the next few days. Mantronics last post was a little dissapointing but I can't say surprising, Anyone else know anything about this 200hz technology?

I am one of those people who is intensely aware of motion blur, juddering, etc which is annoying because LCD's have several advantages over plasma which would really suit me, (eg running PC, PS3, etc). I was hoping it would negate any of these issues but I knew it would be a long shot.

I am waiting for a Z524500. Was at JB HiFi yesterday (Macquarie). I have often thought when you go into a store and see all the TV's together they all look so similar so whats all the fuss as when its alone in your home with no other picture to compare it to you would not know the diffrence, At JB they have a Z40" next to a LG and a Sumsung, neither of which I think is even 100Htz. On fast motion on the demo image running the Sony stands head and shoulders above the others. The other images "judder" This may be due to the 100Htz and not nessasary the 200Htz on this model.

Review of the KDL-Z4500 46"

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2...-46in-LCD-TV/p1

They gave it rave reviews. Actually striek that. Reading the review it seems they gave it much higher marks than it probably deserved given how many negatives he had to say about it.

"Also, with Motionflow set to high, fast moving objects can tend to appear with a slight trail behind them. And similar smearing was also sometimes visible with HD sources during particularly tricky, motion and detail-heavy footage, such as the scenes in the hallucinogenic fog towards the end of Batman Begins. "

I saw this on low.

50 hz BE2 works fine . . . the only thing better IMO is 100hz motionflow pro ... its so well executed it doesnt have that overbearing fake artifacty look.

Artifacts aside, true 100hz vs true 200hz is not detectable by the human eye anyway.

Saw the new 55" XBR 45series at Sony Central Melbourne and at Harvey Norman at Chirnside Park. Very nice looking sets but had the Blu Ray demo's running on them so couldn't really fault. Price tag of $9,990.

Don't know if the 52" Zseries or the 55" XBR is the better TV?

Anyone actually got one of these to report on?

Z-Series - My impressions:

Just saw the 40Z4500 at Sony Centre Gold Coast. They were still unpacking the 46Z4500. 52Z4500 will only be available from 23 December 2008. Now, I am no LCD TV expert (and can't tell you if 200Hz is better or not), but I do believe my eyes and these are my impressions:

1. The TV looks remarkably better and more stylish in real life than in pictures.

2. Picture quality was awesome. Contrast and blacks and image quality seems on par (or better) than XBR45 and definitely more superior than W series. This was confirmed with both test video from Sony, and from live 9HD television feed of the cricket.

Prices in latest Sony Centre magazine are $4999 (52 inch), $3999 (46 inch) and $3399 (40 inch).

Specials that they are running at the moment:

1. Z Series - 200 weeks interest free and 200 weeks extended warranty.

2. Z Series Premium Home Cinema Pack - 46Z4500, plus BDPS350 Blu-ray player, plus HTIS100 Home Cinema for a total of $4999.

3. XBR45 Series comes with free PS3 Games Console ($699), but the XBR45 series is ridiculously overpriced.

Given these above specials, and the Quantum of Solace promotion, I don't think you should expect anything else free from Sony. You could however, push them on the price (with the lowest price on this forum being $4275 for the 52 inch). With prices due to rise from 01 February, my suggestion is to hold off until the after Christmas sales, and hope that you can drive a good bargain because salesmen have not met their quotas. However, bear in mind that you may struggle to find stock.

Now that I've seen all the new models (except 52" Z), I'm leaning towards the 'Z'. I expected too much of the XBR45. Nice but nowhere near enough to justify cost. Maybe I just haven't seen a properly calibrated one. I like the Samsung '9' series but I'm not an early adopter and Samsung service support doesn't get good reports so I'll probably go with Sony.

I was keen on a run-out X3100 but the discounts on them (particularly 52") are not that enticing. I really dislike juddering and jagged edges, so I was hoping 200HZ would be a good improvement. To me it is subtle but I would still take the Z because any improvement is worthwhile. My thinking is that if it has a faster processor to handle 200HZ, it's probably going to cope better at lower settings anyway.

So, now I'll just wait for the 52" Z and try to get a good price. If not, the W45 is still a very nice set (is it basically an X3100 screen and electronics in a different case?).

Like the above post.

Has anyone in Adelaide seen a 52" Z4500 in store?

I've seen the 46" but I am waiting for the 52" and I will grab one straight away.

I have heard that the good guys have them in stock but not on display for some reason!

Are the available here yet?

Edited by Grunta

PM if people want quotes within the Melbourne metro.

Specify which model, size and warranty length.

From my knowledge, these models are available: 40" w45, z45; 46" w45, z45; 52" w45.

Have a mate that works in a Melb retailer who said he would be happy to check them out for people.

Specials that they are running at the moment:

1. Z Series - 200 weeks interest free and 200 weeks extended warranty.

2. Z Series Premium Home Cinema Pack - 46Z4500, plus BDPS350 Blu-ray player, plus HTIS100 Home Cinema for a total of $4999.

3. XBR45 Series comes with free PS3 Games Console ($699), but the XBR45 series is ridiculously overpriced.

Is the first special only through Sony Central or is that a Sony promo for christmas? If that was available to all retailers that would be very enticing as its the one thing thats turned me off Sony screens being the lack of included extended warranty. I do prefer the look of the Sony over the Samsungs. Certainly a much nicer picture most likely due to better tech and engines built in. Does the DLNA in the Z series match that of the samsung's or is there differences in what they can stream?

Is the first special only through Sony Central or is that a Sony promo for christmas? If that was available to all retailers that would be very enticing as its the one thing thats turned me off Sony screens being the lack of included extended warranty. I do prefer the look of the Sony over the Samsungs. Certainly a much nicer picture most likely due to better tech and engines built in. Does the DLNA in the Z series match that of the samsung's or is there differences in what they can stream?

Extended warranty appears to be through Sony Central only.

Not sure about the techincal issues you asked about.

Well my 46" Z series turned up today and I'm very impressed. Straight out of the box its very well set up to my tastes apart from a quick change to cinema mode. Motionflow seems to work well too (3 options there) but i really need to source some proper material to give it a workout. I could tell the difference on some kids shows this afternoon.

No HDMI cables supplied damn so I'm really only running composite interconnects !! I'll pick up a few at WES tomorrow

contrast is impressive but as I really have nothing to compare it too I'll just say I'm very happy

Made in Malaysia Still trying to work out if this is one of the au optronics joint venture jobs or not

I'll check out streaming capability in the next few days when i get a chance

Happy Days B)

Edited by parso_rex