Denon AVR-4810 Firmware Update

Hi Guys, I switch my AVR-4810 tonight and got a on screen notification that there was a firmware update. So I ran thru the process which took about 5 minutes, and was very easy. I dont know what Denon as has added/changed, and I cant find any info anywhere on what the update does.

Has anyone else had an update to their Denon AVR? Does anyone know what the changes are? Just interested, thats all.

schnooper

funny, I have a 3808, and my experience with the site is that it also tells me very little.

Perhaps I should be thankful with having an OPPO. They do quite a few firmware updates, and they tell you what the firmware is meant to do. I suspect the denon is more like some of our political parties/governments - they won't tell you what the fix is, because then you will know what was wrong.

Benje

Hi Guys, I switch my AVR-4810 tonight and got a on screen notification that there was a firmware update. So I ran thru the process which took about 5 minutes, and was very easy. I dont know what Denon as has added/changed, and I cant find any info anywhere on what the update does.

Has anyone else had an update to their Denon AVR? Does anyone know what the changes are? Just interested, thats all.

G'day Schnooper, ring this number and ask for "denon tech support" 0296693477. The guy you will speak to should be able to answer your question. I hope this helps. Regards Grassy:)

schnooper

funny, I have a 3808, and my experience with the site is that it also tells me very little.

Perhaps I should be thankful with having an OPPO. They do quite a few firmware updates, and they tell you what the firmware is meant to do. I suspect the denon is more like some of our political parties/governments - they won't tell you what the fix is, because then you will know what was wrong.

Benje

About the only difference that I can see it that the unit appears to be faster while moving thru the media streaming menus. I cant seem to find anything else at this stage.

G'day Schnooper, ring this number and ask for "denon tech support" 0296693477. The guy you will speak to should be able to answer your question. I hope this helps. Regards Grassy:)

Cool grassy, I will try that number tomorrow. Who is it by the way?

• 2 months later...

I have heard that the 4XXX range of Denon's may be firmware updated to 1.4 HDMI. Seeking a response from them now. I was told today that the firmware release is due in September. BUT, they said that they were not sure if that meant ahardware upgrade or firmware, but they were 90% sure it was a firmware upgrade.

Will be released for 4xxx range and above.

Anyone confirm this? I am looking to buy a 4810 but will hold off if they are going to release it in September with HDMI 1.4 for 3D compatability.

When I get a response from Denon direct I will post it up here.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 years later...

The "Firmware update" facility for the 4810 is in the Options Setup Menu (refer page 55 of the Owners Manual). It is on the second screen so you need to scroll down to it until you see the "Firmware Update" menu item. If you find it and it does not give you any selection options the problem is likely to be that you are not connected to the internet...

You can either connect via ethernet cable at back of Denon straight into your router or ethernet switch - or via wireless connection. Once successfully connected to the network and internet if you go back to the "Firmware Update" menu item you should be able to select "check for update" - if there is a new update (I haven't seen one for a few years), then you can instal by selecting "start".

Good luck - I just managed to connect Synology Diskstation so my Denon 4810 can play my FLAC audio files and it seems to work well.

I kept my 4810 for the longest time but I really hate Denon's network updating. It has a habit of bricking AVRs and BD players when the download gets interrupted or corrupted. 

I now belong to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp when it comes to Denon (or Marantz) firmware updating. I don't understand why they don't provide the firmware download using a computer, so we can transfer that to a USB drive (like we do on an Oppo) cos that works way better.

These days I'm a bit careful about firmware updates. Haven't had any problems with them, but I think I'm falling in to the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" camp.

Last year some time I bought my mother a Yamaha mini-system. Not a bad little system. Probably not what I would buy for myself, but it integrates quite nicely with her TV, is easy to use and actually sounds quite good. She is happy with it.

There have been a couple of firmware updates since I bought it. I applied the first one with no problem. Downloaded to a USB stick, then followed the upgrade procedure in the manual. All worked ok.

Some time later I checked online, and found there was another firmware upgrade available. This time the upgrade had some code added which apparently tightens copy prevention checking. Well, I couldn't see any advantage in applying that, so I didn't bother.

Agree emesbee,   if it aint broke...

Many firmware updates come without explanation of what they are trying to fix/update/accomplish - and can be designed to limit the functionality of the existing product to force users to pay for upgrades they should expect to be delivered for free given the expense of high-end equipment.

In the Denon AVR case I don't think their marketing & R&D departments are looking to upgrade/update superceded products and that's why they produce very few firmware upgrades for those units although perhaps it is better for their real flagship products.

denon do regular updates. just consider it as denon  house keeping often for small issues you might not have encountered but someone some where has. just makes sure you never ever encounter them yourself. 

I know some whom have run their units 5-6 years without updates and if no pressing need dont have to get them. but like myself if happy to have your unit upto date then go for it :)