Sign in to follow this  
Neon Kitten

Bye-bye Ten Hd

Agree the statement is somewhat vague on the SD channel but is clear as daylight that Channel 1 will become 24hr one sport...

I would have thought this would have been a better solution for TEN.

Given not all content (both sport and regular TV is in HD and probably won't be for a while - eg I can't see HD for the Aus/NZ Netball, and even F1 doesn't bother with it)

Channel 1 - one - 24 hr SD sports channel

Channel 10 - ten - existing SD channel

Channel 12 - HD channel - showing mix of HD content from one/ ten for those viewers with HD sets

Has anyone tried calling the numbers at the bottom (and end) of the ASX report?

I am still fractionally sceptical. There is no doubt there will be "24hour sports coverage" as they say, but this is on their "ONE" branded channel. But you read later, and it talks about ONE SD advertising the benefits of ONE HD, suggestion that premium stuff is on the HD, and of course duplicated on both for other stuff. Maybe given the lineup they show, which isn't a *huge* amount more than what they show now, that their "24hour sports coverage" channel can have our fave normal shows still at some time or another? Maybe 24hour means that it will have sports all day, when it is available, but slot in standard progs between the sports coverage.

The ASX statement is quite clear that the HD channel will be 100% sport. Its a bit vague on if the second SD one will be 100% simulcast or might simulcast some stuff and at other times show drama etc.

Odds are that LCN 12 will be 24x7 downscaled simulcast of LCN 1, as that means they only need to worry about programming and monitoring for 2 actual channels. Adding a 3rd independent channel will be a major upgrade for the broadcaster and split their advertising revenues even further.

I guess one of the ironies is that if and when this sports channel gets up and running on Channel 1 with vastly reduced bandwidth it's likely to attract a whole wave of protests. Your typical sports telecast is one with plenty of panning shots and quick changes of direction, just the sort of programming that really requires every bit of bandwidth you can throw at it in order to avoid hideous amounts of pixilization and any number of other video artifacts that can otherwise make the picture simply unwatchable. As for regional areas that are already operating on reduced bandwidth well I shudder to think what will pass for HD, 576p probably.

Bandwidth reduction was always going to happen.

We were always going to cop it with an extra SD channel for all the networks.

Now if only someone could get rid of that pesky analogue bandwidth

I guess one of the ironies is that if and when this sports channel gets up and running on Channel 1 with vastly reduced bandwidth it's likely to attract a whole wave of protests. Your typical sports telecast is one with plenty of panning shots and quick changes of direction, just the sort of programming that really requires every bit of bandwidth you can throw at it in order to avoid hideous amounts of pixilization and any number of other video artifacts that can otherwise make the picture simply unwatchable. As for regional areas that are already operating on reduced bandwidth well I shudder to think what will pass for HD, 576p probably.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if OneHD actually becomes a 720p channel rather than the 1080i at present since the reduced resolution progressive format is preferred by many for sports. Given that it will be a 24x7 sports channel then it is indeed possible.

I only hope that Ten gives away their rights to many of the non-sports tv shows to other networks so they can at least show them in HD, as Ten have utter contempt for non-sports viewers. This decision today confirms that attitude.

With the new sat going up next year at least Foxtel viewers can look forward to more HD channels like SciFi HD etc. No way am I going to waste my time watching <4Mbps SD programming on FTA when you can watch shows on channel BT with better picture quality.

Looks like next year the SD channels on FTA are going to look as bad as the SD channels on pay tv!

heard on TEN News that it will start in April, they didn't mention any additional SD Channels, so makes me think it will be TEN SD (as currently is) and One HD, so there may not be a bandwidth problem.

heard on TEN News that it will start in April, they didn't mention any additional SD Channels, so makes me think it will be TEN SD (as currently is) and One HD, so there may not be a bandwidth problem.

No, read the ASX statement.

LCN 12 will point to a new SD stream that will be a downscaled simulcast of the existing HD channel (LCN 1)

No, read the ASX statement.

LCN 12 will point to a new SD stream that will be a downscaled simulcast of the existing HD channel (LCN 1)

what I heard was straight from TEN.

channel is to be called "One" on HD channel 1

it will actually be called "OneHD".

btw, watch the report on Ten News on TenHD in about 5 minutes in AEDT.

what I heard was straight from TEN.

Well I saw it on Ten news as well and I'm convinced that the reporter didn't have a clue about what he was talking about. You won't need a HD receiver at all to watch the 24x7 sports channel as you'll be able to watch it all in SD on LCN 12.

This decision isn't going to help HD receiver take up as you will be able to watch everything with an SD only receiver.

Read 3rd paragraph of the ASX statment:

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/annou...;issuerCode=TEN

Digitalj, did you read the ASX bulletin? It is a quite specific release by TenNetworkHoldings. Much more specific than a news reader/news program taking "artistic liberty to only tell one sentence about a large press release"...

Maybe this direct link will work (although you are meant to go thru an ASX click thru to agree not to use it for commercial purposes): http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20081028/pdf/31d662sllzn29d.pdf