Sign in to follow this  
Neon Kitten

Bye-bye Ten Hd

As I said in the Extra Channels forum, that article is so full of bullshit that I don't believe a word of it. The writer clearly doesn't know the difference between "HD" and "Digital TV". There's simply no reason for Ten to put sport onto HD 24x7; clearly this article is referring to their second SD channel, when it appears in 2009.

Hi

Thats my take on it as well(but i may be wrong), anyone thats been a regular on the Forum will know a lot of the Journos. have written a load of rubbish re the intro. of Digital TV(esp HD) and completely misinterpreted Press Rel.'s and new model info from the manufacturers/agents. AFAIK Ten are committed to showing new release Movies in HD "where possible" so i just can't see 24 Hr. Sport show,just selected events,(AFL Golf etc) that fit into the schedule. Anyway JMO but after 8 Years its good to see DTV finally starting to 'happen' and take direction.

Ten has been the only station really promoting their HD a bit (with the "I can see clearly now" advert... that also praises 5.1 audio mind you...), so it does seem silly to ditch all that in favour of boring sports.

My first reaction to the story was exactly the same. And then I thought of Sunday nights this year on Ten HD, and how SD motor racing has displaced all HD programming. When they bumped Rove to SD I was surprised. When they bumped Idol to SD as well as Rove in order to play SD highlights of a Nascar race that nobody gives a **** about the other week, I started to see where priorities might be heading.

Regardless of whether that article was accurate or not, Ten has already made it quite clear that their "I can see clearly now" Ten HD policy takes a back seat to a "buy all the sport we can to prove we have a bigger sport-penis than Foxtel" policy.

Even if the 24/7 sport channel does end up being the other SD channel after January (something that's already been predicted by a few) I would expect much of the HD channel's schedule to be disrupted by irrelevant sporting events.

Think about it. Sunday nights. Idol. Rove. Dexter. Ten's big weekend lineup. Yet they're happy to bump one, two or all of them off the HD channel in favour of a sport that attracts a tiny fraction of those banner shows' audiences.

I was full of praise for Ten at the start of their Ten HD push, but it's been eroded bit by bit, especially in the past few months. It's the reason I've been stockpiling 720p episodes of Eureka season 3 as they turn up, just in case of emergency :)

Edited by Neon Kitten

The HD Channels for 7, 9 and TEN will be reported separately from late November.
edit: I am a twit, you were talking about ratings. I didn't get the context of your post because you quoted a fair bit of mine...

24/7 sport does seem a little unsustainable. That said sport is generally much more profitable to networks than most dramas. Its usually something people watch live, they don't skip commercials, you can pepper commercials all over the place (during play as well as in breaks) and people are hyped up while viewing.

I thought 10 said a while back that it was backing away from a 'sports' channel? Seems more likely that while sport might be the predominate flavour they'll still be putting on a lot of other popular shows / movies in HD as well.

They've also somehow got to make the money they're spending on sport - and given they're immeadiately reducing the potential audience to (say 30% - that being the people that can access the HD channels at the moment). So either they just show the sport every where on every channel or they take a big revenue hit showing it all only on the HD channel.

The other thought I had is that they are going to play fast with the definition of "HD" again and perhaps have two 576p channels.

As one person mentioned also its intriguing what FREETV are doing with the EPG? Are we looking at finally getting a decent 7 day FTA EPG despite all its previous rules.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I think you are all right, this is just another dumb journo that is confusing HD with digital (again!). She has mangled that analogue and SD are dual cast, and HD is a further offering I think, and I would say again, your guesses at this being the 3rd (digital) channel is likely to be the case. edit:And I wonder if the freeing up of analogue bandwidth with the switch off of analogue is the catalyst to get a kind of semi-shared resource on one spare RF channel to do the freeview EPG for all channels (maybe this RF slot will house the extra channels for some of the broadcasters to still keep enough bandwidth to do SD and HD on their main digital RF slot??)

One can only hope.

I also think that this 24 hour sport channel would be on the second SD channel.

I would think, as far as set top boxes available, that there would be a lot more stand-alone SD boxes in use than HD boxes currently.

Therefore, more audience.

Ten would not be so stupid as to dedicate the HD channel to sport, to less audience and no drama or movies in HD.

But, there again, we are talking about Australian FTA. That dinosaur of an industry grinding itself into oblivion.

After all, this is 2008 and how many FTA channels do we have in this country..??

edit: I am a twit, you were talking about ratings. I didn't get the context of your post because you quoted a fair bit of mine...

How are ratings still valid though, unless thay take into account that an increasing number of people "Timeshift" using one method or another. A friend of mine used to have a box, they took it off him because he watched only (seriously) ABC and nothing else. He must have skewed their results too much?

Well it's great news for a sport fan like myself. Although I enjoy watching all other shows in HD too, was disappointed when stuff like Letterman died on HD. So to agree with the others the article is probably a little BS. It would be great to have a SD sport channel and then show sports on the HD channel when nothing else is on. Such as American sports played during overnight period. Let's say they could do something like 4pm till 1am HD simulcast of the main channel. Then the rest could be HD sports. Would be the best of both world then. Most of the American sports would be played during the 4am to 2pm sort of period anyway.

Whilst i am an enormous sports fan and wasn't really a viewer of any Ten HD programming (other than the F1), the 'decision' seems downright ludicrous to me. :wacko:

Certainly hope this is a misunderstanding somewhere along the pipeline, because it would appear a lot of disgruntled viewers await.

Anyways, more sport for me please. :)

Oh man I hope for Channel Ten's sake that this is not true.I do like sport, but not 24 hours of it? And if they get rid of HD viewing of their local dramas and overseas dramas, then why in the hell did the waste money on upgrading their shows to be filmed in High Definition then?

It would be a total waste if this happens for the drama show side of things.

How are ratings still valid though
Leaving aside your possibly erroneous use of the word 'still'. The ratings are compiled using a quite nifty technology that matches the audio signature of a show with there database. So you can watch a recording of Lost a few days later and you'll still be pinged as having watched the show effectively live. The database is apparently only a week or so long so any longer than that and you are not counted as having seen the show.

All that's happening now is that the HD channels will apparently now be included for counting.

The ratings are also only menat to reflect the broader communiyt of viewers so those lucky few ahead of the curve that skip ads etc. are effectively discounted anyway. The big problem for the networks is the term 'few' is starting to become quite a significant 'few' since they only get paid according to the number of people actually eye balling the ads.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Leaving aside your possibly erroneous use of the word 'still'. The ratings are compiled using a quite nifty technology that matches the audio signature of a show with there database. So you can watch a recording of Lost a few days later and you'll still be pinged as having watched the show effectively live. The database is apparently only a week or so long so any longer than that and you are not counted as having seen the show.

All that's happening now is that the HD channels will apparently now be included for counting.

The ratings are also only menat to reflect the broader communiyt of viewers so those lucky few ahead of the curve that skip ads etc. are effectively discounted anyway. The big problem for the networks is the term 'few' is starting to become quite a significant 'few' since they only get paid according to the number of people actually eye balling the ads.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

As opposed to your definite grammatical error?

"show with there database." (It should have been their!) :lol:

Thank you for the explanation of how the rating boxes work though. I do remember that every time my friend turned it on/off, there were a couple of things he had to do, buttons to push (or similar).

Regardless of whether sport will be on 24x7 on the HD channel or a new SD channel, it will ultimately be detrimental to what we have now.

Sport 24x7 on the only HD channel means no more HD quality National Geographic docos and other tv shows.

If what some people are guessing that a 2nd SD channel arrives then that will rob the current HD channel from it's roughly ~16.5Mbps data rate back down to ~12.5Mbps which will look utterly frickin terrible. Whenever the camera pans across a football field of grass it will totally pixelate and look like crap.

Looks like my prediction that 2008 will be the last year of good visual quality HD FTA television will come true, as the other networks will surely run themselves into the ground by making the same mistake as well.

Looks like all the fat asses that watch sport all day rather than play it themselves won't have to worry about their deteriorating vision as they won't notice how blurry FTA TV will be from 2009 on!

No HD anything else. Simply wont happen. Pull ya head in Ten -_-

I do realise that it's one of the rules of this forum that your not meant to talk about illegal torrent downloads, but under the circumstances you have to concede that this sort of decision will simply drive even more people to download HD MKV files of their favourite Dramas. As so few of these shows are getting the HD treatment they deserve in Australia you can't blame people if they simply give up on FTA television in Australia and just download whatever they want to watch. As much as I like the idea of a FTA 24/7 sports channel it simply can't be at the expense of Drama on TV, surely Australian society hasn't been dumbed down that much? <_<

I do realise that it's one of the rules of this forum that your not meant to talk about illegal torrent downloads, but under the circumstances you have to concede that this sort of decision will simply drive even more people to download HD MKV files of their favourite Dramas.

Not only that, but it will do the reverse of what Ten wants and push people that want to see amazing National Geographic docos onto Foxtel HD as that will be the only way to see them in HD quality (legally).

As much as I like the idea of a FTA 24/7 sports channel it simply can't be at the expense of Drama on TV, surely Australian society hasn't been dumbed down that much? <_<

Well aparently we have become a nation of fat asses that loves to watch sport rather than play it ourselves. We're also becoming more like the Americans in not wanting to utilise our remaining brain cells if we have a choice not to.

It's truly ironic that Ten have an ad to go out and 'Live Life' by going out and playing sport etc but they are now going stop showing how amazing the world is with documentaries and instead show us hours and hours of NASCAR cars driving endlessly around an oval loop.

The human race is doomed if TV execs were ever put in charge of anything more important than a TV station.