Sign in to follow this  
Neon Kitten

Bye-bye Ten Hd

From today's Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/10/...4955949631.html

We knew they wanted a 24 hour sport channel, but it appears as a result, there will be no more HD broadcasting of anything else on Ten.

The bold text is mine...

A 24-HOUR sports channel to be launched next year on free-to-air television will revolutionise the Australian broadcasting landscape.

The Ten Network is set to next month lay down the gauntlet to Fox Sports and its free-to-air rivals when it unveils that its high-definition channel will televise Australian and international sport 24 hours a day.

While Ten executives remained tight-lipped last night, it is believed their subtle but systematic campaign of buying major sporting events continued last week in Monaco at Sportel — the international trade show of sporting rights.

Not only has Ten just outbid Nine to win the television rights to Australian swimming, but among the network's new trump cards are the US NBA basketball, the US Major League baseball. Ten also holds the rights to the US Open golf and tennis championships and the US Masters golf.

Ten also recently spent a reported $10-15 million buying the rights to India's IPL Twenty20 cricket for five years..

The 2009 AFL grand final will also be simulcast on Ten's HD channel, and Ten will extend its AFL coverage to include a Monday night review program to be hosted by Stephen Quartermain.

The program will feature football expert Robert Walls, who has quit the award-winning Fox Sports program On The Couch after seven years to help spearhead the new channel's football coverage.

The network has also bought the rights to the Trans-Tasman Netball League, with former AFL star Luke Darcy to host its netball coverage. Darcy will also have an expanded football role.

Although Ten has been devising its high-definition sporting strategy for at least 12 months, it has refused to divulge the extent of its sporting assault.

In a further blow to pay television, the free-to-air body Free TV is scheduled to later this week announce "Free View", a free-to-air electronic program guide showing all schedules on all five channels, including high-definition, in the manner of the Foxtel guide, which operates from a set-top box for pay TV subscribers.

Currently, the HD channels, with the exception of Channel Two, predominantly mirror what is being shown on the main channels but with superior picture quality.

An estimated 15% of Australian televisions can show HD. Most new televisions come with HD capacity, while set-top boxes can be purchased to convert other televisions.

Ten's coup has been the brainchild of its national sport supremo David White, who first master-minded the break-up of the AFL TV broadcast rights for the 2002-2006 period, and will see his network show eight of ten AFL grand finals over the decade ending in 2011.

White, who returned from his network's buying trip in Europe over the weekend, refused to comment last night.

The new channel is expected to start early in 2009, with a launch expected in mid-November.

Ten also owns the rights to Formula One Grand Prix events, the Nascar series including the Daytona 500, and has been televising the World Golf Championship events.

Ten's not exactly being kind to its local productions, is it? First the insult of cutting the credits completely from Australian drama, and now, all the HD-produced shows from Rove to Rush will not be seen in HD. Going by the above, you might as well download your sci-fi Thursday faves too, since they'll be gone.

But hey, the Trans-Tasman Netball League in glorious high definition? Well, that's gotta be worth having to put up with Rush with a watermark half way across the screen, those f***ing dots at the bottom which after eight years Ten still won't remove, and crappy resolution while 25 people watch the netball. Right? Right? Bueller?

(Oh, and that nutter who had a go at me on Whirlpool for "hating sport" need not respond, thanks very much).

**** **** ****!! That is utter crap. Will it die a quick death like the C7 sport thingy years ago?

No more supernatural, house, battlestar, eureka, xfiles repeats, Psych, Dexter, (not that it often was in HD on Ten), The Office, good studio quality HD like Rove & Letterman... . argh, this is bloody ludicrously pathetic!

Mind you, 99% of those shows are 5.1 in the US, and Ten does them in downmixed surround... but with the image quality now ditched also (and having to put up with those silly signalling lines they insist on broadcasting on the 575/576th line of their SD signal).... I have been bagging out Nein, but at least Nein gives us a fair bit of 5.1 and average to good quality HD....

Actually now that I think about it, they're gonna kick the crap out of the other networks with the rights to all those premier leagues. People love sport. Sadly I'm not one of them.

yep, it will be bye from me as well, only the NFL in HD is what I'd consider watching on it.

however, everyone missed a positive thing:

In a further blow to pay television, the free-to-air body Free TV is scheduled to later this week announce "Free View", a free-to-air electronic program guide showing all schedules on all five channels, including high-definition, in the manner of the Foxtel guide, which operates from a set-top box for pay TV subscribers.

so finally, no need to keep changing channels to find out what is on the other channels :) exact timing would be a bonus.

Can't satisfy everyone, im actually glad finally a network thats competing with fox sports and pay television. I think its awsome a 24 hours sports channel about bloody time. More like bye bye foxtel for alot of people.

PS: Foxtel execs if your reading this can you now lower your prices for the standard package to $9.95 a month? LOL

Absolutely pathetic - HD is the only reason I watch local TV. When this happens I will literally get rid of all FTA connections in the house to complete the transition to the modern era of entertainment. RIP Aussie TV.

everyone needs to start calling and complaining later I think, they should at least leave Primetime for dramas, movies, etc, and have sport at other times.

Interesting ... though I wonder if the article is 100% correct, it is for one written by Caroline Wilson, who is not always accurate in her articles and secondly this bit has me wondering:

Currently, the HD channels, with the exception of Channel Two, predominantly mirror what is being shown on the main channels but with superior picture quality.

No Channel 2 is not an exception in HD (unless she means they do not mirror in HD and only show SD as well on it), yes in SD they are with ABC 2, so I wonder if this is going to actually be on Ten's second SD Channel with HD simulcasts of some events, anyone who saw the 20/Twenty from india this year will know it was not in HD, so I will wait until a proper announcement from Ten, seems Caroline Wilson may have got on to the fact that Ten are buying sports and concluded that it's all going to be on the HD channel (Ten were tight lipped about it)

Again I will wait and see, however will not be surprised if it all ends up being on Ten SD2 (also seeing as Jan 01st is the date that the commercials are allowed to start a 2nd SD Channel).

Edited by Harry Wilbury

not to sure what the obsession is with purchasing the rights to a whole heap of TV sports which most people dont want to watch. They would have been better off securing the rights to another major soccer league then chasing baseball.

I slept on it and was wondering about the accuracy of it all too. Bloody journo's should actually watch digital before commenting on this stuff I think. I keep seeing the "HD channel is the same as the SD channel but better quality" garbage peddled a lot, and we all know better. It hasn't been like that for over a year now. And Ten has been the only station really promoting their HD a bit (with the "I can see clearly now" advert... that also praises 5.1 audio mind you...), so it does seem silly to ditch all that in favour of boring sports. I actually don't mind a bit of sport, but NFL... nup. Nascar... nice to watch a couple of minutes of. F1 & MotoGP... yep, but these are both SD only...

But, without real ratings info on HD, the networks could easily make stupid decisions like this believing only a few percent of people watch HD. BSG is a good example of people with even only SD setups doing what they can to watch it (a Topfield 5K can record HD, just not decode it, so people would record it, transfer to PC, and watch there, or transcode back to SD and put back on the Toppy). HD STBs are getting cheaper too, Aldi this week has a cheapy even.

Regards

If the article is true, then I guess that'll mean SC10 HD will just be a 24/7 demo loop with irritating music (which isn't much different to the current situation, come to think of it).

As I said in the Extra Channels forum, that article is so full of bullshit that I don't believe a word of it. The writer clearly doesn't know the difference between "HD" and "Digital TV". There's simply no reason for Ten to put sport onto HD 24x7; clearly this article is referring to their second SD channel, when it appears in 2009.

If the article is true, then I guess that'll mean SC10 HD will just be a 24/7 demo loop with irritating music (which isn't much different to the current situation, come to think of it).

Jeez, Southern Cross can't even get their **** together to transmit anything but Neighbours in HD - How on earth are they going to manage 24hrs of sport. I can't wait for the sport channel but they'll need more than just American sport before they float my boat.

Having read the article it would have to be on their 2nd HD channel (a very smart idea). Anything else would be commercial suicide wouldn't it?

But, without real ratings info on HD, the networks could easily make stupid decisions like this believing only a few percent of people watch HD. BSG is a good example of people with even only SD setups doing what they can to watch it (a Topfield 5K can record HD, just not decode it, so people would record it, transfer to PC, and watch there, or transcode back to SD and put back on the Toppy). HD STBs are getting cheaper too, Aldi this week has a cheapy even.

Regards

The HD Channels for 7, 9 and TEN will be reported separately from late November.