Bye-bye Ten Hd

The ASX statement is quite clear that the HD channel will be 100% sport. Its a bit vague on if the second SD one will be 100% simulcast or might simulcast some stuff and at other times show drama etc.

Odds are that LCN 12 will be 24x7 downscaled simulcast of LCN 1, as that means they only need to worry about programming and monitoring for 2 actual channels. Adding a 3rd independent channel will be a major upgrade for the broadcaster and split their advertising revenues even further.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess one of the ironies is that if and when this sports channel gets up and running on Channel 1 with vastly reduced bandwidth it's likely to attract a whole wave of protests. Your typical sports telecast is one with plenty of panning shots and quick changes of direction, just the sort of programming that really requires every bit of bandwidth you can throw at it in order to avoid hideous amounts of pixilization and any number of other video artifacts that can otherwise make the picture simply unwatchable. As for regional areas that are already operating on reduced bandwidth well I shudder to think what will pass for HD, 576p probably.

I guess one of the ironies is that if and when this sports channel gets up and running on Channel 1 with vastly reduced bandwidth it's likely to attract a whole wave of protests. Your typical sports telecast is one with plenty of panning shots and quick changes of direction, just the sort of programming that really requires every bit of bandwidth you can throw at it in order to avoid hideous amounts of pixilization and any number of other video artifacts that can otherwise make the picture simply unwatchable. As for regional areas that are already operating on reduced bandwidth well I shudder to think what will pass for HD, 576p probably.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if OneHD actually becomes a 720p channel rather than the 1080i at present since the reduced resolution progressive format is preferred by many for sports. Given that it will be a 24x7 sports channel then it is indeed possible.

I only hope that Ten gives away their rights to many of the non-sports tv shows to other networks so they can at least show them in HD, as Ten have utter contempt for non-sports viewers. This decision today confirms that attitude.

With the new sat going up next year at least Foxtel viewers can look forward to more HD channels like SciFi HD etc. No way am I going to waste my time watching <4Mbps SD programming on FTA when you can watch shows on channel BT with better picture quality.

Looks like next year the SD channels on FTA are going to look as bad as the SD channels on pay tv!

heard on TEN News that it will start in April, they didn't mention any additional SD Channels, so makes me think it will be TEN SD (as currently is) and One HD, so there may not be a bandwidth problem.

No, read the ASX statement.

LCN 12 will point to a new SD stream that will be a downscaled simulcast of the existing HD channel (LCN 1)

what I heard was straight from TEN.

Well I saw it on Ten news as well and I'm convinced that the reporter didn't have a clue about what he was talking about. You won't need a HD receiver at all to watch the 24x7 sports channel as you'll be able to watch it all in SD on LCN 12.

This decision isn't going to help HD receiver take up as you will be able to watch everything with an SD only receiver.

Read 3rd paragraph of the ASX statment:

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/annou...;issuerCode=TEN

Digitalj, did you read the ASX bulletin? It is a quite specific release by TenNetworkHoldings. Much more specific than a news reader/news program taking "artistic liberty to only tell one sentence about a large press release"...

Maybe this direct link will work (although you are meant to go thru an ASX click thru to agree not to use it for commercial purposes): http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20081028/pdf/31d662sllzn29d.pdf

Quick Reaction:

Regular operation could be Ch 1: ONE HD sport with 720p; Ch 12: ONE downscaled to SD; Ch 10: Ten analogue simulcast

During siphoned (large event) sports: ONE HD sport with 1920x1080i; Ch 12: Turned off and points at Ch 10; Ch 10: Ten analogue simulcast. (Essentially what we have now).

Late hours: Like regular operations, but ONE HD non-sport content with 720p. Well, why not? The name doesn't actually say "sport"??

Or ... Aus Freeview launches around April 2009 too.

Therefore, maybe they've got their sh*t together with Nine and Seven?

If so, the drama and docos would be offloaded to Nine HD/SD and/or Seven HD/SD multichannels.

This may yet turn out okay.

CK.

YAY! I like 24/7 sport I will get to watch something late at night when letterman and Raymond is over! Good Bye Proactive and Windsor Platies.

Be careful now, they might just have infomercials selling 'sport' equipment during the early hours instead....

Or repeat early programming from what was on at 8:30 pm etc just to pad out their lineup and compete with the non-stop repeat fest that is Foxtel.

Hmm, artistic liberty... probably not.... that youtube of the Ten report was a comprehensive blurb, they kept saying 24x7 sport in HD... that is pretty definitive. FCUK FCUK this is total total garbage. They started babbling about drama and documentaries I think, but it was starting to bore me from the sport sport sport sales pitch. OOOh, and there will be extended Sports Tonight shows 2 nights a week in prime time... who gives a rats arse.

Man this will suck.... Goodbye Ten, hello Seven.

Mind you, I guess Ten was looking at their ratings, which is really what drives executive decisions (just like share prices for listed companies I suppose), and I guess this really dumb change for losing great HD drama & docs & studio shows, will probably gain a tonne of couch potatos to watch... this sux.

Grr

Be careful now, they might just have infomercials selling 'sport' equipment during the early hours instead....

Or repeat early programming from what was on at 8:30 pm etc just to pad out their lineup and compete with the non-stop repeat fest that is Foxtel.

Yeah, SC Ten could have a 'Loop' of the Ab Queen Ab 'n Leg Pro thingy from 12 to 3am followed by the Pro-Active Sport Formula.