Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Pioneer 9th Gen Panels Discussion

i agree mate that PLANT is a clown, but Panasonic is hi-fi cause Pansonic is Technics, and well they make the best record players EVER.

http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/detai...m?objectID=1231

Know one who was into good sound ever used Technics turntables, they where strictly DJ stuff. Technics products was low to mid range consumer grade, never real HiFi.

Know one who was into good sound ever used Technics turntables, they where strictly DJ stuff. Technics products was low to mid range consumer grade, never real HiFi.

Absolutely.

Purely for budding DJs only.

The holy grail of hi-fi turntables began in the mid 70's with the Linn Sondek LP12, and for many, many years beyond, the best turntable you could buy,

outperforming expensive monoliths many times the price.

...getting off topic I think.

I though the NEO's would have less motion blur (something that annoys me about my 8G kuro). Anyway I hope so

I was in JB today and they had a Pioneer 50" C509 next to a Panasonic 50" 80A and they were both playing some HD nature show feed. When the camera slowly panned the foreground 'in-focus' picture seemed a bit jerky on the Pioneer (but looked fine on the Panasonic - in fact the Panasonic looked better overall in terms of PQ in the store).

There is obviously a massive difference in price between the two, but I really struggled to see the difference in quality. Has anyone done any independent testing / reviews on these panels? Could the difference of their performance simply be explained in terms of the settings that had been used in-store?

Any help / comments would be appreciated. Also - would either of these panels have a noticeably better performance in displaying SD content?

Absolutely.

Purely for budding DJs only.

The holy grail of hi-fi turntables began in the mid 70's with the Linn Sondek LP12, and for many, many years beyond, the best turntable you could buy,

outperforming expensive monoliths many times the price.

...getting off topic I think.

omg. The memories. Linn Sondek LP12. Pink Triangle. And those insane Lapus Lazuli ($5000+) cartridges. (A quick google shows me that there are still a/v nuts out there! (no disrespect intended)

Any help / comments would be appreciated. Also - would either of these panels have a noticeably better performance in displaying SD content?

I have a 50PX80A and I can tell you that the SD picture quality is not good. There is much discussion going back 6 months in the PX80 thread about this,and the best way to watch SD is with an HD set top box upscaling the SD to HD. The picture is then fine, and overall you can get an HD PVR and TV for a lot less cash than a Pioneer.

The onboard decoder circuitry has been designed to unsharpen SD television for some reason. The plasma screen itself is top class.

I would assume you would always watch FTA tv via a HDPVR as the the speed my LX508 changes channels via the inbuilt tuner is pathetic, I could go for a leak quicker than I can skip round the stations during a normal ad break. And the picture is the same via HDMI using a Topfield 7000. I would go mental if I didn't have the PVR.

Edited by MOPAR_or_NoCar

Pioneer KRP 500A are going for 6k plus in Singapore, where they cost a lot more...

No free ISF and only 3 year warranty, don't seem to be able to find them locally.

Finally,finally, after being told by the misses its coming [since xmas] I MAY have a 60" by the weekend if the friend of her friend who has a friend that has a friend who knows a friend that works at a friends retail outlets..... true ...... that how it's being done I'm not even going to ask how much it costs! :blink:

cheers laurie

Finally,finally, after being told by the misses its coming [since xmas] I MAY have a 60" by the weekend if the friend of her friend who has a friend that has a friend who knows a friend that works at a friends retail outlets..... true ...... that how it's being done I'm not even going to ask how much it costs! :blink:

cheers laurie

You're a lucky man.

Pioneer KRP 500A are going for 6k plus in Singapore, where they cost a lot more...

No free ISF and only 3 year warranty, don't seem to be able to find them locally.

Do you mean ISFccc memories and Controls?

There is no free ISF calibration, which they offered when it was first released. However with the 509 going for 5k plus currently, the price difference has been reduced. Previously, TVs were about 30-40% cheaper in Oz.

You're a lucky man.

Thanks for that hobey123 yes I am very lucky man although at times I got rather frustrated in the process :unsure:

cheers laurie

Gees and here am I thinking way back then that the Dual turntable with a Shure MC was the bees knees :D

cheers laurie

Hi.

This is my first time, so please be gentle.

Went to the shop and got stitched over (long story...) I tried to use this as a bargaining chip to haggle a price for the C509 (whose picture I was blown away by). The guy said $4300 was the absolute lowest he could go. Does this sound right, or can the price be massaged a little more?

Cheers in advance

Hatters

Hi.

Went to the shop and got stitched over (long story...) I tried to use this as a bargaining chip to haggle a price for the C509 (whose picture I was blown away by). The guy said $4300 was the absolute lowest he could go. Does this sound right, or can the price be massaged a little more?

Cheers in advance

Hatters

That price sounds pretty good considering RRP is $5499. I'd say anywhere between about 25 - 30% off RRP is an EXCELLENT deal on Pioneer. So at 22% off, that sounds pretty good. Maybe you can squeeze an extra hundred, but these panels are getting snapped up quick so be careful how long you wait to bite the bullet.

That price sounds pretty good considering RRP is $5499. I'd say anywhere between about 25 - 30% off RRP is an EXCELLENT deal on Pioneer. So at 22% off, that sounds pretty good. Maybe you can squeeze an extra hundred, but these panels are getting snapped up quick so be careful how long you wait to bite the bullet.

Very true not knowing what Pioneer stock level [speaking from experience ] is it's like playing russian roulette instead of cutting more off that price try getting cables e.g. HDMI thrown in

cheers laurie

Hi.

Cheers in advance

Hatters

I'm new to this myself hatters but if you use the Best Price lx509 thread as a guide,their saying between 4.7 and 4.8k for the lx509, and 4k for the c509. Both great displays, i would still love to know how the black level of the c509 measures up against the lx509 which is 0.001fl of light. I cant seem to find that information anywhere, hope their is a review of the c series soon.

Good luck with your purchase, hope this is has been helpful.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/news/200...-Manufacture/p1

Pioneer has announced the cut-off date for Kuro manufacture: after the 1st of April, only four TVs will stay in manufacture and then only until 3,000 units are produced. The non-two-subtle underlying message? If you want a Kuro, buy one now.

The final Kuro's to be made will be the KRP-600A, KRP-600M, KRP-500A, KRP-500M. the M, as you may know, differing from the A in that the TVs' tuners are integrated, rather than sitting in a separate box.

The announcement also firms up Pioneer's commitment - at least in Japan - to offer after-sales support to Kuro owners. Pioneer says it keeps stock of replacement parts for eight years so I can't see any Kuro owner having a problem getting a broken unit fixed. I guess if enough Kuro's break there might be problems with replacement stock, but that seems unlikely at worst.

Has anyone out there got a PDPC509A?? Am thinking of getting one, so would love to hear any thoughts form people who have one.

Is there much difference between it and the LX? Other than the missing USB and ethernet connections.

Oh, it'd be paired with a Pioneer BDP-LX71 (and a HD PVR).

Has anyone out there got a PDPC509A?? Am thinking of getting one, so would love to hear any thoughts form people who have one.

Is there much difference between it and the LX? Other than the missing USB and ethernet connections.

Oh, it'd be paired with a Pioneer BDP-LX71 (and a HD PVR).

The LX uses the 9th Gen panel and the C uses the 8th Gen with a 9th gen engine. The LX also has 5 times darker blacks than the C model and the speakers are located on the side not on the bottom + the LX has a 5 year warranty and the C has a 3 year warranty.

Other than this i'm not sure if there are any other major differences between the 2, but the main selling point I guess is the 9th Gen panel.

I'll tell you in three weeks Dave , at least compared to a 428XDA.

Look, the LX is better (if you can find one). What I have found is yes the LX has better blacks but once my C509 is ISF calibrated I am pretty confident the blacks would look more than good enough for me.

But everyone has a budget, mine is around $4K not $5k.

Edited by seacat

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. Muchly appreciated. And yep, I'd love the LX, but I think that my budget is also around the $4k mark, not the $5k mark!

I'll tell you in three weeks Dave , at least compared to a 428XDA.

Look, the LX is better (if you can find one). What I have found is yes the LX has better blacks but once my C509 is ISF calibrated I am pretty confident the blacks would look more than good enough for me.

But everyone has a budget, mine is around $4K not $5k.

I think you are selling the C509 short there seacat! it's just features you are missing out on the most important part is still there....... KURO

cheers laurie

I think you are selling the C509 short there seacat! it's just features you are missing out on the most important part is still there....... KURO

cheers laurie

Except that an LX509 is essentially a Gen 2 Kuro panel vs a Gen 1 Kuro panel in the C509. There will be a difference and that's what you're paying for.