Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Pioneer 9th Gen Panels Discussion

So just a note to all retailers out there:

I'm in the market for a NEW LX-509A and am prepared to part with $2,500.

Of course the warranty is now...only 6 months right..if that?

Pioneer shut up shop.

You can contact me on this site.

Plant, you are such a nice guy offering to take that big awful TV off those retailers hands.

LOL, love the BS spin about the warranty too.

I'm sure if you offer just under 2K, then they would be "prepared" to throw in free delivery. :lol:

What makes this even funiier is that you are serious :lol:

Sounds very reasonable to me. Once Panasonic release the NeoPDP's they won't even be able to GIVE the Pioneer's away even to the most fanatical Pioneer advocate .

Edited by Peter McGrath

Sounds very reasonable to me. Once Panasonic release the NeoPDP's they won't even be able to GIVE the Pioneer's away even to the most fanatical Pioneer advocate .

Premature statement I think.

In response to "GIVE the Pioneer's away". Well that's unlikely because the 9th gen Kuro, if anything, will be a collector's item since no more (10th gen) after this one and probably no more shipments of current 9th gen after current orders are fulfiiled.

I think you'll find that the NeoPDPs with all the advances i.e. thinner, half the power consumption for the same brightness, etc. still does not have the black levels of the Kuro.

From what I've read on other forums the NeoPDPs also won't come cheap on release.

As another indicator, even the newly released in the US, Panasonic's new and very expensive Premier Plasma (Professional Series) is still a way off the current Kuro's blacks and PQ.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/pan...erColumnArea1.1

The only thing upcoming this year that would've been better than the 9th gen Kuro is the 10th gen Kuro.

I think we're still a couple of Panasonic releases away from the Kuro's PQ and black levels.

The Kuro is not for the budget conscious, it's for the consumer happy to spend the money for the best and nothing but the best.

Either that, or wait a year or two for the others to catch up.

Edited by jimval

The word is that the new NEO Panasonics will have inferior blacks to the now old and superseded G8 Pioneer let alone the new G9, so discerning buyers will be happy to pay more for the Kuro.

The NEO PDP’s claim to fame is high brightness and lower power consumption, not better blacks. While these aspects of performance may interest the average buyer, I don’t expect Pioneer purchasers to be swayed.

Pioneer shut up shop.

LOL.

Sounds like you've been smoking a bit of yourself.

Owen

I though the NEO's would have less motion blur (something that annoys me about my 8G kuro). Anyway I hope so

Motion blur on a plasma??

Is this FTA or bluray/DVD content?

BD

Sorry , maybe im using the term "motion blur" incorrectly. What i see is when the back ground is static and people in the fore ground move horizontally , they blur and the faster they move the worse the effect

Edited by williamtassone

BD

Sorry , maybe im using the term "motion blur" incorrectly. What i see is when the back ground is static and people in the fore ground move horizontally , they blur and the faster they move the worse the effect

I think you own an LCD not a Plasma???

Film cameras use a shutter speed of 1/48th of a second, anything other then slow movement is always blurred.

Video cameras can use faster shutter speeds, but only if enough light is available, it often isn’t.

Less then best deinterlacing of true interlaced video (from a video camera) will also result in motion blur.

Bandwidth limited compressed video suffers very significant motion blur for fast motion.

Big high resolution screens make the above sources of blur much more noticable

The blur you see on screen is the sum total of all blur in the source chain and the display, don’t be to quick to apportion all blur to the display alone.

Film cameras use a shutter speed of 1/48th of a second, anything other then slow movement is always blurred.

Video cameras can use faster shutter speeds, but only if enough light is available, it often isn’t.

Less then best deinterlacing of true interlaced video (from a video camera) will also result in motion blur.

Bandwidth limited compressed video suffers very significant motion blur for fast motion.

Big high resolution screens make the above sources of blur much more noticable

The blur you see on screen is the sum total of all blur in the source chain and the display, don’t be to quick to apportion all blur to the display alone.

So how exactly is panasonic going to give us 1080 lines moving res?

Pioneer shut up shop.

Don't hold your breath mate.

See : http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/plasma/0,239035...39294960,00.htm

From the article:

The final, ninth generation Kuro has been on sale in Australia for several months, and Pioneer anticipates that stock will last until the end of the year.

However, Pioneer Australia's public relations manager Michael Broadhurst said he anticipates greater demand due to last night's announcement.

"People already know this is the best panel going around and they'll be keen to get one," Broadhurst said.

"We believe that demand for these panels will increase and as a result it will enable us to hold a higher price point rather than having to drop our prices," he added.

I tend to agree.

...wonder where that leaves us IF 3yrs from now the panel gives out??...Do we get a refund?...I'd want a bloody OLED to replace this screen!

...wonder where that leaves us IF 3yrs from now the panel gives out??...Do we get a refund?...I'd want a bloody OLED to replace this screen!

The only ones who can answer this is Pioneer. I doubt they'll be giving you a replacement panel, but maybe a refund of the value of the screen at the time it breaks down. There's no way of knowing, but i'd wouldn't think they'd just give you a full refund.

So how exactly is panasonic going to give us 1080 lines moving res?

The panel may be good for 1080 lines moving res, but the source isn’t if it comes from a camera.

Like most people I expect you believe you can get 1920x1080 resolution video as well, sorry digital video does not work that way. All you can get is 1920x1080 pixels, which is not the same thing at all. A 1920x1080 pixel format cannot provide 1902x1080 visible resolution images unless the image was computer generated at exactly 1920x1080.

The only ones who can answer this is Pioneer. I doubt they'll be giving you a replacement panel, but maybe a refund of the value of the screen at the time it breaks down. There's no way of knowing, but i'd wouldn't think they'd just give you a full refund.

No.

Pioneer don't have to answer to anyone, because the buck stops at the point of sale e.g. the contract you made was with Myer, not Pioneer.

If it can't be repaired or replaced, Myer would issue you with an equivalent replacement or money back.

A guy from the Dept of Fair Trading was on talkback radio the other day and was responding to callers' questions.

Edited by jimval

Most likely Pioneer would tell you to go back to place of purchase and get a new screen of your choice (to what monetary value - unknown) and you get a new screen. Granted it's not a Pioneer, but you get a new TV with new warranty

So I'd like to confirm and have it referenced link here that even though Pioneer out of business and Panasonic taking over(?)

Your current and future warranty with Pioneer will be valid with a non-existent company?

So I'd like to confirm and have it referenced link here that even though Pioneer out of business and Panasonic taking over(?)

Your current and future warranty with Pioneer will be valid with a non-existent company?

"non-existent company" + "I'm in the market for a NEW LX-509A and am prepared to part with $2,500"

LOL

Mate, you really post some rubbish.

...but you're obviously good for a laugh and excellent as the forum clown.

Keep up the good work.

Pioneer have been around for a very, very long time

and TVs have never been their core business.

It has always been audio.

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/plasma/0,239035...39294960,00.htm

I remember as a kid (I'm in my 40s now), Pioneer was a household name for hi-fi,

and Panasonic, well, no-one had heard of Panasonic back then.

Not sure if it even existed.

You see, it was 'National' back when I was a kid, then it became 'National Panasonic', then later on we had just 'Panasonic'.

Only the panel department is closing down, the other sections of Pioneer and the company as a whole are still very much in business. A simple search for news on the topic brings up dozens of articles ie

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/plasma/0,239035...39294929,00.htm

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Real_Sound/Industry/K5X3A6G5

I remember as a kid (I'm in my 40s now), Pioneer was a household name for hi-fi,

and Panasonic, well, no-one had heard of Panasonic back then.

Not sure if it even existed.

You see, it was 'National' back when I was a kid, then it became 'National Panasonic', then later on we had just 'Panasonic'.

i agree mate that PLANT is a clown, but Panasonic is hi-fi cause Pansonic is Technics, and well they make the best record players EVER.

http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/detai...m?objectID=1231

Only the panel department is closing down, the other sections of Pioneer and the company as a whole are still very much in business. A simple search for news on the topic brings up dozens of articles ie

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/plasma/0,239035...39294929,00.htm

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Real_Sound/Industry/K5X3A6G5

Appreciate the quick responses guys.

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/plasma/0,239035...39294960,00.htm

"However, Pioneer Australia's public relations manager Michael Broadhurst said he anticipates greater demand due to last night's announcement.

pull out of the television market would not affect the pricing of its plasma panels."

mmmmm what is the job descritption for a public relations manager? ha ha ha ha

Edited by PLANT

i agree mate that PLANT is a clown, but Panasonic is hi-fi cause Pansonic is Technics, and well they make the best record players EVER.

http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/detai...m?objectID=1231

Technics

Ahh..Yes.. of course.

I thought I missed something somewhere.

I remember the Technics SL1200 turntables were the DJs bees knees when I was a teenager.

..memories..