Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Pioneer 9th Gen Panels Discussion

Think you will find the LX609 price will drop to the 8th gen panel price once there completely run out of stock. Can't have the old and new panels the same. Who would even bother looking at the older panel otherwise.

there are people in the UK (at avforums ) who have seen the LX509 alongside the KRP models and they swear there is a difference- less PWM noise for example. One of their trusted reviewers noted this too

there are people in the UK (at avforums ) who have seen the LX509 alongside the KRP models and they swear there is a difference- less PWM noise for example. One of their trusted reviewers noted this too

Which is better?

Well in the past monitors have always looked better than the ones with built in analogue & digital tuners but the point to remember, is there a decent HD STB that will make the KRP FTA performance better than the built in tuner of the LX models unless someone is saying the screen/glass/electronics is different!

cheers laurie

It’s my hope that PWM noise can be eliminated in G10, its getting better with each gen but has been an issue with Plasma since day one.

Edited by Owen

Anyone bought one yet?

Looking to get one next quarter or so.

$1000 difference between 8th Gen & 9th Gen for 85% better specs!

cheers laurie

Not trying to justify an upcoming purchase are we laurie? ;)

Not trying to justify an upcoming purchase are we laurie? ;)

Not at all Mick I'm am getting the LX609 hopefully around Xmas decision already made ;)

cheers laurie

these plasmas definitely look nice. might look at getting a 500 model if they aren't too badly priced. but i do have the thought back of my mind that i want abigger screen and the G10s will be out next year which i might be better placed to get a 60 or 70" then.

LG 1080p for $2k at JB :P

A 768 50" Panasonic for $1600 beats the crap out of the 1080 LG unless you view from less then 2.5 meters in MHO.

Edited by Owen

I just bought a Pioneer 60" 609A on Monday. I got it for $8,500. It didn't take much haggling. They started by dropping the price form 10,999 (RRP) to 8,999 just to get a sale. I offered 8,500 and they said yes instantly.

I am fairly happy with it so far. The start up time is a bit anoying, (about 5 seconds) and the EPG is a bit slow, but the picture quality is great.

Guest EZYHD
I just bought a Pioneer 60" 609A on Monday. I got it for $8,500. It didn't take much haggling. They started by dropping the price form 10,999 (RRP) to 8,999 just to get a sale. I offered 8,500 and they said yes instantly.

I am fairly happy with it so far. The start up time is a bit anoying, (about 5 seconds) and the EPG is a bit slow, but the picture quality is great.

Where at?.

A 768 50" Panasonic for $1600 beats the crap out of the 1080 LG unless you view from less then 2.5 meters in MHO.

A bit extreme. The latest LG plasma PG70fd is as good as the Pana PX80A except for the new fad of shinier screens to increase the black level,oddly called an anti-reflective layer.

The PX80A Panasonic is the last of the anti-glare Panasonics and is a better buy for that reason alone. It is unfortunately quite ugly in my opinion.

I wish I'd bought a Pana PZ700A because the mirror finish is taking over for most manufacturers.

Black levels on the LG are not in Panasonic class, but you won’t see it in a normal show room environment.

Plasma’s need a tinted or light absorbing layer in front of the phosphor, over wise the room lighting will reflect off the phosphor and degrade black level in a lit environment.

Personally I think the high gloss screen gives a significantly better image. Anti reflective screens give the image a flat 2d look which I’m not keen on. Lived with both and much prefer the high gloss screen, but I don’t have reflection problems to worry about.

The old PZ700 had pretty dreadful blacks, significantly worse then the 768p 6 series or 7 series, the PZ800 is much better.

Edited by Owen

The 500A has been sold at a recent fair in Singapore for SING$ 7xxx with a HITB and a Pioneer LX51 BR player.

Yes, 60” is a good size for 2.5 meters, but for those of us that sit further back a larger screen is required. Where is the 80” Pioneer?

Its waiting for me. that's were it is, Geee I wonder how much that will cost.

Black levels on the LG are not in Panasonic class, but you won’t see it in a normal show room environment.

Plasma’s need a tinted or light absorbing layer in front of the phosphor, over wise the room lighting will reflect off the phosphor and degrade black level in a lit environment.

Personally I think the high gloss screen gives a significantly better image. Anti reflective screens give the image a flat 2d look which I’m not keen on. Lived with both and much prefer the high gloss screen, but I don’t have reflection problems to worry about.

The old PZ700 had pretty dreadful blacks, significantly worse then the 768p 6 series or 7 series, the PZ800 is much better.

I don't dare to say both are on the same level but my eye cannot see the black level difference on the show floor. :) I saw only Shrek The Third and Open Season 1 on both of them side by side. I adjusted the image parameters on both and they looked pretty much the same to my eye although the Panas seem to ship with a more saturated output. I think the Pana PZ800 has a pretty horrible black level if you turn the brightness over 50%. Also whites always have a hint of beige. Maybe it's better in a dark room. I don't know but when I watch a movie I rarely have theater conditions.

Edited by ageha

First of all you need to audition using a movie with night scenes and a dim viewing environment that would be typically used viewing of movies in a home environment, a dark room is not requires as not even a Pioneer Kuro can do black in a dark room.

The LG’s have black levels similar to a Panasonic from 3 years ago, that’s NOT good.

The brightness control should be adjusted to give the darkest blacks with a video black input (digital level 16). The black level that can be achieved is dependent on the display, and that varies significantly from good on a Kuro to poor an LG. Black level on a Panasonic is at least twice as low as the LG’s. I personally don’t think even the even Panasonics are anything like good enough, but I’m fussy. :D

Edited by Owen

Seems we are seeing price increases on these babies... sigh

I'm in the market for a new full hd panel now, well within the next month. I'm trying to decide between the Pana 58" and a Pio 60". I currently have a 50" Pana (1366x768). Regards these 9th gen Pio panels, is it the next gen, (10th Gen), that is going to made by Panasonic? Whats everyones thoughts? I'm sure you all have some :) Buy a panel now? Wait until Pio and Pana merge? Is quality going to go up when they merge? Down? Any thoughts appreciated...

well around september 09 we may see the new panasonic plasma's -Plasma Neo

they have full 1080 line motion resolution (current plasmas are around 900 lines of motion resolution)

better blacks

better on electricity usage

the next generation Pioneers (10 g) will have the glass made by panasonic china with the driving circuits made by pioneer

in a few weeks all the new models , and all their specs, will be announced at CES (consumer electronics show)

buy now or play the waiting game?? ill let someone else answer that one

retail sales are falling off a cliff worldwide so I wouldnt be surprised if there were aggressive price cuts in next few months

The G10 Pioneers made by Panasonic will be the best Plasma’s ever, but they are at least a year away.

Don’t expect price cuts in the near future, if anything prices will go up before they come down.