Pioneer 9th Gen Panels Discussion

This month is the last time Pioneer makes it's KRP panels and probably the 9G ones too...

So if anyone is in the market for one, this is the time.

So long to a good quality panel with great PQ.

I don't think prices are going to come down by a lot, so those guys who asked me about this panel, now is a good time, or you will end up with just display panels.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This month is the last time Pioneer makes it's KRP panels and probably the 9G ones too...

So if anyone is in the market for one, this is the time.

So long to a good quality panel with great PQ.

I don't think prices are going to come down by a lot, so those guys who asked me about this panel, now is a good time, or you will end up with just display panels.

Yep, I just ordered an LX509 through JB-HiFi, and was apparently lucky to get one.

How much did you get it for?? i'm surprised that JB had one for you available. I enquired about a month ago with no luck.

The Hobart store had two units on order that were unaccounted for. A friend of mine and I managed to snaffle them, so when they arrive they'll have our name on them. I got a good price for it, but it was a "group buy" price, so as far as I'm aware I can't actually say exactly how much. However it wasn't as cheap as some other posters have been announcing on the 509 thread, so it looks like there might be some deals to be had out there if you can do a bit of quick work on the phone.

Because most test disc I have used states that the dvd player must be able to pass blacker than black!

Sorry I missed this post mate.

You are misinterpreting the intent of a “test disk”, the intent is to set the display to show the darkest black it is capable of at digital level 16 (video black), everything below that level (blacker then black) should look the same. Therefore there is no need to display blacker then black, it should not be possible to see it on a correctly calibrated display.

If blacker then black is visible video blacks will be grey.

What are you guys using to optimize your display, set the correct contrast, ect ?

Thanks

Hey there,

not that I've got mine yet (it's on the way though), but this is what I'll be using to calibrate the display:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

It's a freebie calibration program that you burn to a DVD and playback in a blu-ray player (or via a HD computer feed). You just need to get yourself a blue-filter for one particular step.

I haven't actually looked at it yet, but from reading the thread, it seems that it might not be the most intuitive thing to use, and might require a bit of assumed knowledge.

From memory, some blu-ray discs have a calibration "easter egg" on them, which might be a bit simpler. Can't remember how to access it though sorry (I think you have to key something into the remote), but I'm pretty sure Pirates of the Caribbean 3 has it.

A few questions on the c509A

1. Does anyone know how to change the pillars bars to be black rather than grey when watching 4:3 DVD's?

2. Is it normal for the picture to be stretched vertically when using the 'zoom' mode?

my old tv simply zoomed in, removing black bars and a bit of the sides but the pioneer seems to stretch the picture vertically.

I have the opportunity to purchase one of the few remaining LX600's in the country.

The panel is a display model with around 300 hours on it.

This evening I spent an hour playing with the panels settings trying to improve the SD picture.

Canberra's FTA SD is not the best but the Pioneer's picture was a lot worse than what I expected from a high end display

Most of my tv viewing is SD FTA and Foxtel. I've owned 3 Panasonic commercial panels over the last 6 years. Each of these has been driven by an external Lumagen or DVDO processor that have generally provided quite a good SD picture.

My questions to the LX600 owners is are they happy with how this panel handles a SD signal and what settings should I be looking at to address the excessive noise, ringing and combing that I saw today.

I also took a copy of 'Master and Commander' to compare my existing setup to the Pioneer. Although not as bad, the Pioneer bluray / LX600 combo still displayed more defects in the picture than my present setup.

This panel probably won't be available much longer, so I'd appreciate any help with this.

WARNING DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!! I take no responsibility as I have not tried it

Factory Reset Procedure

1 With tv off/in standby....press home menu.

2 Within 3 sec turn tv on , Integrated Menu will appear.

3 Hold Display button until Final Setup appears in the top menu.

4 Arrow left or right until yes appears in lower menu.

5 Hold enter until menu disappears.

6 Wait 1 min.

7 Power tv off and unplug from the wall for 5 or more min.

cheers laurie

how do I save the settings so my HDMI input always displays dot by dot mode as default?

In 'Options' turn screen sizing to 'off' the tv will then stay in dot by dot mode if that is what it was previously and it is a 1080i/p source.

cheers laurie

When I set 'dot by dot' for blu ray on the lx609, the overscan goes away but the picture on the right hand side of the Pio does not go all the way to the edge - about 1cm less than the left side?

If I switch display mode to 'full' the overscan returns but the picture is proportioned evenly (as it should be) on both sides.

Can this be corrected through a Pio option or some setting on the player?

Edited by xclusive_gamer

In 'Options' turn screen sizing to 'off' the tv will then stay in dot by dot mode if that is what it was previously and it is a 1080i/p source.

cheers laurie

thanks laurie, working fine now...i had the option set to auto previously.

When I set 'dot by dot' for blu ray on the lx609, the overscan goes away but the picture on the right hand side of the Pio does not go all the way to the edge - about 1cm less than the left side?

If I switch display mode to 'full' the overscan returns but the picture is proportioned evenly (as it should be) on both sides.

Can this be corrected through a Pio option or some setting on the player?

try this on the tv, go into 'home' > 'setup' > 'option' > 'position' > H/V position adjust

you should be able to move the picture a bit to the right as needed.

try this on the tv, go into 'home' > 'setup' > 'option' > 'position' > H/V position adjust

you should be able to move the picture a bit to the right as needed.

Thanks, but 'position' is greyed out when dot by dot is selected.