Pioneer 9th Gen Panels Discussion

Except that an LX509 is essentially a Gen 2 Kuro panel vs a Gen 1 Kuro panel in the C509. There will be a difference and that's what you're paying for.

I was always of the belief that the C509 was a gen 8 panel, but talking to my Pio reps, I asked this exact question. He told me that both have the 9th gen panel, but the difference between was the way the engine handles the crystal emissive layer in the glass.

Regardless, I agree with Laurie - you are still buying a Pioneer Kuro.

I saw the LX and C509 side by side several weeks ago. Even under store conditions, you could see the LX had better and deeper colours, but the C509 was still an exceptional panel.

As Shonky mentioned, the Panel of the C509 is more like that of the LX508.

Edited by brucethebear

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't actually say that Bruce I don't think, but I do agree :)

That sounds like bs from reps. Why would you put the same panel in and then have a different engine to handle the "crystal emissive layer in the glass" and get a worse result? The electronics expense would be minimal. The Pioneer website does appear to imply it's a 9th gen panel in the C509 BUT if you look at the LX509 page it says "5 times the contrast of the 8th gen panel" which it doesn't for the C509.

Just doesn't add up IMO.

I didn't actually say that Bruce I don't think, but I do agree :)

That sounds like bs from reps. Why would you put the same panel in and then have a different engine to handle the "crystal emissive layer in the glass" and get a worse result? The electronics expense would be minimal. The Pioneer website does appear to imply it's a 9th gen panel in the C509 BUT if you look at the LX509 page it says "5 times the contrast of the 8th gen panel" which it doesn't for the C509.

Just doesn't add up IMO.

Hi Shonky,

I wasn't sure if your opinion was that the C509 was a G8 panel or essentially like a G8 panel.

Sorry - didn't mean to imply either way.

Everyone at Pioneer I have asked have tole me it is a G9 panel.

I agree, it just doesn't add up.

Taking yet another groundbreaking step towards HDTV perfection, Pioneer has taken the world’s best plasma (8th Gen KURO) and made it even better.

Featuring Pioneer's award-winning 9th Gen KURO technology, the PDPC509A is the perfect Full-HD solution for those who love watching sports and movies in HD.

When undertaking the process of engineering Pioneer’s 9th Generation plasma technology, every single feature on Pioneer’s 8th Gen panel was evaluated. Engineers took each element of the display apart and put it back together with revolutionary improvements. The result is a new flat panel television offering unrivalled performance.

Improvements to Pioneer’s 9th Gen PDP-C509A are courtesy of an advanced ASIC video processor, improved filter for enhanced contrast in bright environments, exclusive cell structure with crystal emissive layer for intense black with added detail, as well as a completely integrated DVB tuner developed exclusively by Pioneer.

Now where does it say's 8th generation gee guys its on their site!

http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/Home%20...s/PDPC509A.aspx

cheers laurie

cheers laurie

The way that's worded it still doesn't clarify whether they're using an 8th Gen or 9th Gen panel.

Hrmmrmrmrm.

I always thought it was the 8th Gen panel on the C model and in person the screen definitely did not have the blacks of the LX509.

What a conundrum.

cheers laurie

I agree with you laurie,it clearly states "improved filter for better contrast in bright enviroments".The filter is part of the panel itself compleatly seperate of the electronics.Any Kuro purchase regardless of model won't disapoint. :winky:

Well it looks like I"ve got an LX on its way, so that's pretty damn exciting!

I'm also guessing that there are going to be any number of varied settings for these things. Are there any good sites, tips, recommended settings etc around that anyone knows of?

Well it looks like I"ve got an LX on its way, so that's pretty damn exciting!

I'm also guessing that there are going to be any number of varied settings for these things. Are there any good sites, tips, recommended settings etc around that anyone knows of?

Hi, congrats on the purchase:

Go here and here for recommended settings.

Like to know where this "100"hrs or "200"hrs run in period comes from it sounds to me a lot of crock its like people telling me to warm my car up before driving off or run the new engine in by not going over 60kph , nowhere does Pioneer states to run any LX in before ISF calibration nor ISF site itself and I talking about any scientific evidence suggesting a display requires a RUN IN PERIOD!! does anyone get their Blu-Ray player calibrated,is it passing blacker than black?

cheers laurie

All phosphor based displays age rapidly during the first 100-200 hours or so and that will likely cause colour shift.

Why would you want to pass blacker then black? You are supposed to calibrate the display to video black (digital level 16) not lower.

Edited by Owen

All phosphor based displays age rapidly during the first 100-200 hours or so and that will likely cause colour shift.

Why would you want to pass blacker then black? You are supposed to calibrate the display to video black (digital level 16) not lower.

Because most test disc I have used states that the dvd player must be able to pass blacker than black!

First, set your source components to output YCbCr if there is an option (not RGB). Then get a test disc that has a Blacker-than-Black pattern and look for the below black information...

- Clint DeBoer

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/calibrat...evels-xvycc-rgb

cheers laurie

Guest syelaw

I just picked up the LX509 for $4,500.00 at Harvey Norman in the QV Melbourne.

EX Display model, but only in display for 4 weeks, im delighted.

I just picked up the LX509 for $4,500.00 at Harvey Norman in the QV Melbourne.

EX Display model, but only in display for 4 weeks, im delighted.

Well done you will be even more delighted syelaw if you can get Foxtel HD to get the best from the panel,yes the content is not crash hot [repeats] but what is there is absolutely stunning you will see how bad FTA HD is with the LX!!

cheers laurie

Guest syelaw
Well done you will be even more delighted syelaw if you can get Foxtel HD to get the best from the panel,yes the content is not crash hot [repeats] but what is there is absolutely stunning you will see how bad FTA HD is with the LX!!

cheers laurie

Thanks

I wish i could Laurie, but i better give my wife time to cool off after getting this before i try the Foxtel HD question! :huh:

I wonder if there are more plans to add to the channel content, or even eventually make it HD on all channels?

Guest syelaw
Just enjoy Bluray content for now then...or is that also a conversation that needs to happen with the Mrs? ;)

Yep, its SD DVD's for now....i will bide my time, still on cloud 9 after getitng the tv!

Just enjoy Bluray content for now then...or is that also a conversation that needs to happen with the Mrs? ;)

LOL - that is the situation I am in. :lol:

I have IQ2, so I have been able to show the panel is all it's glory.

I haven't yet mentioned to her that we don't have a DVD player anymore at all (it was built in to the previous TV).

My devious plan was to always buy a bluray player.

Might give it a few weeks.... ;)

Call Aron 0402407368,

he's a real 'guru' on these Pio Panels, he made my LX508 look amazing!!...no amount of fiddling could get a pic like he did with his mini laptop and magic software. best money you can spend, he calibrates all inputs to suit your gear, prints out the results and emails them to you for safe keeping. Very nice bloke too, very knowledgeable to listen to.