Pioneer 9th Gen Panels Discussion

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this out:

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...047336-1,00.htm

Notable features:

50-inch plasma TV (with integrated TV tuner)

1,920 x 1,080-pixel resolution

External media receiver

Optimum mode for auto A/V optimization

Enhanced audio subsystem using its reference EX-series speakers

18W x 2 stereo speakers

Onboard JPEG playback via USB

1080p24 input-ready

Kuro Link (HDMI-CEC)

Three HDMI 1.3 inputs

Availability: Now (Singapore), November (rest of Asia)

Price: S$8,999 (US$6,625.53)

Edited by petetherock

Availability: Now (Singapore), November (rest of Asia)

Price: S$8,999 (US$6,625.53)

Wow, considering RRP for the LX508 there was S$16k. What's up with that price? I doubt we'll see nearly half RRP of the LX508 here (RRP A$6k)

From the article:

"More importantly, the cost to own these sleek 68mm-thick panels has nose-dived with prices starting at S$8,499 (US$6,257.41)--a 20 percent premium over other high-end 1080p plasmas and almost half the asking price of the G8 predecessors. "

Ok, half the price of the previous gen, but from what I gather, tvs in Singapore are way more expensive than Australia. So it might just be a correction local to Singapore and region and not Au.

I will be popping to see the sets live, but all accounts at the launch yesterday were superb!

They had a Panny 850, a Sony Full HD LCD, the 508LX and the new Pioneer, the new set blew the rest away, this will be the last Pioneer only models before the Panny / Pioneer sets kick in.

Does anyone know when the new Kuro's will hit the shelves? The guys in JB in Canberra have no idea.

I'll be looking to get a 509 sometime Feb/March.

I spoke to Pioneer yesterday and they are not sure. They are under the impression that it will be Feb 2009.

Will get get the 5090 or the more professional UK KRP 500A version?

Singapore is getting the latter, and will be launched this Friday, I will try and pop into their Hi Fi show for a look

A review :

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/27/Pioneer...sma-Review.html

Hi Pete

Where is the Hi Fi show held in Singapore. Will take a look at this

Park Royal Hotel 24-26th October

Kitchener Rd

SINGAPORE

The Pioneer trashes the rest by a significant margin, but the cost diference is also significant.

Were they selling at RRP our at special price for the 500A?

Guest anders3n

I do not think that australia's price will be cheaper than singapore's. Our currency is now the same or lower than sin dollar and our gst is 10% compared to 7% in Singapore. And also overhead cost is a lot higher than singapore.

This is the last of the true Pioneers before they OEM from Panny, will consider one next year when the prices stabilise.

Took the plunge and paid S$7,999 for 500A. They came with a free BD player LX51 worth S999 and HT system which I will give away and 2 years extended warranty

Took the plunge and paid S$7,999 for 500A. They came with a free BD player LX51 worth S999 and HT system which I will give away and 2 years extended warranty

I notice in a lot of Pio reviews that "movie mode" is referred to as the most accurate setting for film content.. I've never been able to understand this. When I set my 508XDA to movie mode it looks distinctly "yellowish"..

I notice in a lot of Pio reviews that "movie mode" is referred to as the most accurate setting for film content.. I've never been able to understand this. When I set my 508XDA to movie mode it looks distinctly "yellowish"..

Movie Mode gives the closest to a ISF calibration for Greyscale linear response and gamma tracking. Nothing to do with film content.

Check this out for a better description.hdtv u.k. calibration

Depends on what Colourspace you are using.

Edited by mwd

This is the last of the true Pioneers before they OEM from Panny, will consider one next year when the prices stabilise.

The G10 panels that will be made by Panasonic will be significantly better then the G9 Pioneer manufactured panels.

According to Pioneer the G10 is supposed to have absolute blacks, be brighter, slimmer and use less power, they demoed such a panel at the 2008 CES.

No, no, no -- Panasonic will never ever in the whole future of technology make a panel that's as good as the Pioneer G9, which will forever remain the pinnacle of the flatscreen art, the last good panel ever made.

Also, the worst, cheapest, most busted-arse piece of technology made in Japan will always be better than anything the rest of the world can come up with.