Sony Vplhw10 Projector

Thanks a lot for that info.

My current DLP projector (NEC HT1100) did a lot better job of displaying low quality SD TV than the Sanyo Z700 I tried.

Much in the same way that CRT TV's are better than LCD TV's at displaying poor quality SD programs.This is also the case with analogue signals,rather than digital.

Does anyone know if this is the case with all LCDs versus DLPs,or is it just that my almost 5 year old projector does a better job of it than the Z700?

[/quote}

I would have to agree that SDTV is a bit underwhelming. For me, it is the softness of the picture that really sticks out along with the extra image noise. I have been reading that the set-top box plays a big hand in this too so will see how things go with my new unit.

I also notice a fair amount of block noise/break-up on some programs. (Channel 9 Perth seems particulary bad.)

Dave.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, you took the words right out of my mouth, my biggest concern is that the difference will only be slight like what you just decribed. I'll be going from a 4000 hour unit to a 2000 hour unit + a quiet fan. Is it worth it? I guess that's the decision I have to make. I also have a dedicated room, total darkness in the daytime.

The funny thing is my Sharp that is 4 years old has only been showing BD for about 6 months due to me finally hooking up my PS3 via HDMI to DVI, I was blown away with the difference and it's only 720P. Should I expect to be blown away again going from 720P to 1080P or only expect a slight improvement?

Hum - if possible, it would be worthwhile to take your current projector into a store and compare it with the HW10. The salesman/woman probably wont like you doing this but its definitely worth a go. That way you'll be able to make the judgement for yourself as to whether you think it's worth upgrading.

The last couple of pages have made for very interesting reading, esp. regarding the 720p vs 1080p upgrade, is it worth it to upgrade? etc. What makes it all the harder for potential buyers like yourself is the subjectiveness (and i dont mean this in a bad way!) of opinions that you see here - ie - what one person may deem a decent improvement in one area may be seen as a large improvement for someone else. From my 'subjective' point of view, running the HW10 with 100" screen and light-controlled room, you wont be blown away by the difference but you will see a definite improvement over your current 720p projector. For me it was worth the upgrade

Does HW10 have the capacity of adjusting keytones horizontally? IE. do we have to install the projector exactly in the centre to the screen? Thanks

I haven't found any keystone correction (H or V) ability, BUT there is both H & V lens shift which can accomplish the same thing without the loss of quality.

Max shift is given as V +/- 65% (tot=2.3x), H +/- 25% (tot=1.5x) from straight down the barrel (I haven't measured this myself yet)

However if you max out on one then you have zero freedom on the other.

The manual has a diagram of a diamond surrounding the screen center into which you may center the lens.

I have a question regarding cables, at the moment my 720p projector is connected from PS3 via HDMI to DVI. When my new Sony arrives can I use the same cable or do I need HDMI to HDMI. I read somewhere that the only difference between HDMI and DVI is that DVI doesn't carry audio signal so the picture should be the same. Is this correct?

I know there are benefits to a much more intensive calibration for my Sony VPL-HW10. But at the moment, I just don't have the time or patience for it. I simply want to adjust the brightness and contrast so that it is "near enough is good enough".

I have the projector connected to Xbox 360 and PS3. Ideally, without having to buy anything, any recommendation on a source that I can adjust contrast and brightness to? Otherwise, is Video Essentials HD (BD) the one to buy? And if so, would anyone know of anywhere in Perth that has one in stcok as most online places lists it as out of stock.

I know there are benefits to a much more intensive calibration for my Sony VPL-HW10. But at the moment, I just don't have the time or patience for it. I simply want to adjust the brightness and contrast so that it is "near enough is good enough".

I have the projector connected to Xbox 360 and PS3. Ideally, without having to buy anything, any recommendation on a source that I can adjust contrast and brightness to? Otherwise, is Video Essentials HD (BD) the one to buy? And if so, would anyone know of anywhere in Perth that has one in stcok as most online places lists it as out of stock.

JB HiFi Malaga has one in stock. Have a look in the music section of the BluRays.

By the replies, it looks like I will do the Video Essentials way - was hoping on being lazy and do an easier way. Thanks for the places on where to buy - Devoted's site says out of stock, but I got a friend to get that last one from JB Malaga.

You could just download from avsforum.com a blu-ray or hd image which you can use to calibrate... Easier to use than the Video Essentials disk... instructions in pdf available too.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Edited by gbickle

I already have the Sony HS10 and have been very pleased with it. However it is time to upgrade and i have been seriously looking at the HW10.

I was hoping if anyone here could answer a couple of questions.

1) Would i need to by another ceiling mount for the HW10 or is the mounting sytem the same for both models?

2) What is the price of the lamps?

3) I have a dual link DVI cable going through the ceiling. Will a couple of DVI to HDMI adapters suffice to hook the projector to the HDMI amp?

TIA

K1W1

3) I have a dual link DVI cable going through the ceiling. Will a couple of DVI to HDMI adapters suffice to hook the projector to the HDMI amp?

TIA

K1W1

YES

I picked up my projector from DJ's today,

I didn't realize that it doesn't have a DVI input, at the moment I have a HDMI to DVI cable in the ceiling.

If I buy a DVI to HDMI connector surely I would lose some picture quality, do I just spend the money and get a good 10 metre HDMI cable?

I already have the Sony HS10 and have been very pleased with it. However it is time to upgrade and i have been seriously looking at the HW10.

I was hoping if anyone here could answer a couple of questions.

1) Would i need to by another ceiling mount for the HW10 or is the mounting sytem the same for both models?

2) What is the price of the lamps?

TIA

K1W1

I don't have exactly the same model as you but something similar. I just replace my 11HT with VW80. It is a straight forward swap as they both use the same size of screw and three legs. With the add benefit of lens shift life is that much easier.

Lamp is rrp $600. Much better than the $900 11HT lamp.

I use straight hdmi cable to pj and dvi>hdmi cable with hdmi>dvi adapter to LCD monitor's dvi input with no lost of quality. Should be fine.

Hi Shaw,

Malaga Perth I presume?

How did you go on the pricing side?

It is $36 in JB store. I bought it when they have the 20% off. Only good for the included RGB colour filter. I found those free AVS patterns works much better. DVE only use still patterns and my HTPC controls only respond to moving video files like those AVS provided. Also DVE is limited to Bluray/DVD only but AVS also extend to mp4 file calibration for players like MPC.