Sony Vplhw10 Projector

Thanks pat555. Just been to Sonystyle in Sydney city today but they only have a bunch of old projectors on display. Do you have to pay in full before mwave order one in for you? I assume they carry the same warranty you bought from Sonystyle store, right?

Yes you do have to pay in full before they will place the order although they told me they now have four on backorder so they may get a few extras in and carry the stock. I have bought a couple of things through them in the past and had no problems. Yes as far as I'm aware the warranty is the same as if you bought it in a store.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask Sonystyle but they don't know why other's price is so low and available so early. They only have stock in mid Dec.

pat555, do you have a confirm shipping date yet? Paid in full before ordering bothers me a little since stock is a big question mark and I might have to wait till next year to see one. Local demand is higher than expected because of the current exchange rate.

Well I ordered pretty early and was warned it could be late November until I got one but one was delivered last Monday. Some thoughts:

It's huge compared to my old model, about 40cm wide and 50cm deep. The manual says you should leave 30cm clear in all directions which I can't really manage in one yet.

It's very quiet, haven't really noticed the noise at all. Heat hasn't been an issue either, and I was concerned about a 200w lamp in summer.

I optimistically first switched it on in daylight and could barely see anything. It's not that bright. I'm screening from a fair way away (5 metres) just onto the wall and the picture is 3m wide and about 1.8m high. I haven't adjusted the settings much but the picture quality from hi def sources is sensational. The incredible hulk has a series of helicopter fly bys over a south american city and the level of detail is extraordinary, it's a very sharpo picture and reminded me of watching Dark Knight at imax. Very smooth too which is impressive, it looks better than most movie theatres i've been to.

Black levels can be very black, it's difficult to tell where the edges of the projected image which surprises me and 2:35 movies don't have any gray bars above or below. Beats me how they do that. The only fault i'd say is with most settings that the picture can tend to be too dark, so I adjusted the settings a little and put the lamp on high and fixed that. It also benefits quite a bit from having all the lights off, which is pretty standard I guess.

I took some photos but they came out really blurry, i'll have to read my camera manual for some help there. I thought the screenshots in this review looked a little dark to me: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1062546 but the detail is extremely good.

For less than $3k i'm very happy with it.

Had a look at one of these in Sony Central Adelaide yesterday...

All in all was very impressed, colours were lovely and the image was nice and sharp. Can't really comment on black level as although they looked pretty good there was enough ambient light in the room to degrade the CR :(

Wasn't in there long enough for a proper critical viewing but it sure is pretty :D:P;)

Could you tell us which store please - and did they have them in stock / viewable ?

I spoke to a salesperson at HN Cannington about three weeks ago and he said they were about to get them in .They also had a HD1 and TW1000 and a BENQ w5000 I think.

Room is nowhere near properly light controlled though.

Brendon

I spoke to a salesperson at HN Cannington about three weeks ago and he said they were about to get them in .They also had a HD1 and TW1000 and a BENQ w5000 I think.

Room is nowhere near properly light controlled though.

Brendon

Thanks Brendonc,

I wouldnt expect HN (or JB etc) to have a proper light controlled setup but at least Id be able to check it out physically to see if it solves my installation issues.

Its a bit of a trip from Sydney to Perth though :rolleyes:

What screens are you guys using with this? I have just placed my order and will now have to look for a screen. I am looking for;

- 108-120 inch 16:9

- Motorised with ideally IR remote.

- Cheapish ($600-$1000), as long as the edges don't curl

- Ideally with a good 500mm top black edge.

Any recommendation? The Redleaf one looks OK, but it doesn't have remote?!

Edited by Shaw

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I ordered one 2 weeks ago through an online store for under $2,800. I have been advised that they won't be in stock in their warehouse until the last week of November.

Hi pat555, have you received yours? I bought the VW80 from Sony instead because stock is already in Aus. Although price is not as good as your online store, it is still a bargain comparing oversea prices. After playing around a bit I have a feeling that HW10 may suits me more. The extra features over HW10 like Dark Frame Insertion and Motionflow are something I can live without. 24p is smooth enough for me. Motionflow is just too artificial and introduce artifacts from time to time. I also have it turn off in my XBR LCD TV (low setting and off looks pretty much the same to me).

One of these went for $2426 on Ebay today from a private seller.

I bid to $2401,I didn't want to go any higher for 2 reasons.Firstly the crappy one year warranty and secondly because I think I really want a Sanyo Z3000 when it comes out.

These can be found for under $2800 online anyway,and you'd be assured of warranty.

Just out of interest,does anyone know if Sony projectors have transferable warranty?

The guy selling it said it came with full warranty,but the fact it was an insurance claim, I wasn't too sure if it would have (second owner).

The other thing I really like about SXRD technology is that unlike cheaper LCD 1080P panels, the Sony SXRD panels are inorganic which means they won't degrade over time.

This is worth a read for info on SXRD

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/SXRD/whatsxrd.shtml

I was looking at the new Epson EH-TW3000 but not any more as it does have organic LCD panels, according to Epson.

Anybody seen one of these Sony's in action in Melbourne?

If so, where?

Edited by Muzzer

Sorry Guys, I just think this organic versus inorganic LCD panel thing is a big thing to consider and it seems to have slipped through the cracks as to selection criteria for some reason.

I've previously owned 2 LCD projectors with organic panels that, after the first globe was replaced (2,000 and 3,000 hours), started to have their output turn perminantly green and so I won't buy another one of these. In effect, the whole projector became a consumable after 2 to 3 thousand hours because the cost of replacing the LCD panels in them was 3/4th of the cost of a new projector!

I'll stick with either DLP, SXRD or at least inorganic panel based LCD's. as I'm stuffed if I'm going to throw away a projector after say 3000 hours of use.

Here's a link to TI's message about this:

http://www.dlp.com/projectors/picture_reliability.aspx

No, I don't work for any projector vendor or have any particular barrow to push on any brand!

I'm just amazed that this panel degradation message hasn't got out there much and wanted other potential users to be warned, if what TI, and my own experience, is anything to go by.

Maybe my experience is now a thing of the past and this doesn't happen much now? Not sure.

Anybody else experienced this fading problem ?

Edited by Muzzer

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Had this projector for a few weeks now. I did have some issues with calibrating it (mostly my fault :wacko: ) but now can confidently say that for anyone in the market for a new projector around this price point (paid $2900 for mine), it is an absolute steal. I am surprised that this has not been more popular given the image quality and the low AUS price.

I spent last night watching different blu-ray discs (Transformers and Kungfu Panda) and the picture is sublime. Playing games from the PS3 is also mind blowing, as is HDTV.

It really does make you feel like you have a 100"+ plasma sitting in front of you.

The noise level from the fan with the setting on high is very low and easily bests the jet engine I formally had (Toshiba MT700).

I have used the DVE HD Basics blu-ray to calibrate the picture but have used the settings Mark H posted on the VW60 thread. I find the colours to be very accurate with these settings. Thanks Mark.

My only warning would be the brightness level for people with 110"+ screens with a low gain screen or reasonable levels of ambient light. Otherwise, I find it more than adequate.

I will try to take a few pictures when I can but really do advise prospective buyers to check it out.

Dave.

P.S - Also bought the Panasonic BD35 blu-ray and also think this is a bargain too.

For those interested, here is a link to absolutely everything you'd want to know about the VW10:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1077759

On balance, it seems to be a fantastic product and very well worth the money.

$2,780 at Webprice and it's compared to the Panasonic AE3000 which has an RRP of $7,000 !

http://www.webprice.com.au/page/shop/flypa...yword//offset/0

Hi,

Had this projector for a few weeks now. I did have some issues with calibrating it (mostly my fault :wacko: ) but now can confidently say that for anyone in the market for a new projector around this price point (paid $2900 for mine), it is an absolute steal. I am surprised that this has not been more popular given the image quality and the low AUS price.

I spent last night watching different blu-ray discs (Transformers and Kungfu Panda) and the picture is sublime. Playing games from the PS3 is also mind blowing, as is HDTV.

It really does make you feel like you have a 100"+ plasma sitting in front of you.

The noise level from the fan with the setting on high is very low and easily bests the jet engine I formally had (Toshiba MT700).

I have used the DVE HD Basics blu-ray to calibrate the picture but have used the settings Mark H posted on the VW60 thread. I find the colours to be very accurate with these settings. Thanks Mark.

My only warning would be the brightness level for people with 110"+ screens with a low gain screen or reasonable levels of ambient light. Otherwise, I find it more than adequate.

I will try to take a few pictures when I can but really do advise prospective buyers to check it out.

Dave.

P.S - Also bought the Panasonic BD35 blu-ray and also think this is a bargain too.

What's it like for SD TV ??,I found my four year old NEC HT1100 killed the new Sanyo PLVZ700 for SD TV playback.

I'm not sure if it's because the NEC is a DLP,and most LCD displays have problems with displaying SD TV.

I haven't seen an SXRD display with SD TV though,so some input would be good.

What's it like for SD TV ??,I found my four year old NEC HT1100 killed the new Sanyo 2700 for SD TV playback.

I'm not sure if it's because the NEC is a DLP,and most LCD displays have problems with displaying SD TV.

I haven't seen an SXRD display with SD TV though,so some input would be good.

To be honest, not really sure.

I have only been watching the upscaled HD channels and they look great.

I thought at first there was more noise in the picture but have come to realise that the projector is only showing what is there in the first place. On a decent program (CSI, House ect), the picture looks sublime. Not quite as good as blu-ray but good nonetheless.

I was previously using a DLP 720p projector (Toshiba MT700 or better known as Benq 7700) and found this to be good with SD too.

I will have another look tonight and let you know.

Dave.

For those interested, here is a link to absolutely everything you'd want to know about the VW10:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1077759

On balance, it seems to be a fantastic product and very well worth the money.

$2,780 at Webprice and it's compared to the Panasonic AE3000 which has an RRP of $7,000 !

http://www.webprice.com.au/page/shop/flypa...yword//offset/0

Damn good price Muzzer. I would be running to grab one of these whilst the price is this low.

All Sony projectors are going up 20% from the 1st Feb 09. (So I have been told:)

Had a mate over playing some PS3 games today. He thought the piture was as good as his 1080P Pana. Not sure about that but it is damn good.

I can only imagine what the new JVC's must be like.......

Dave.