Sign in to follow this  
jamm753

Ambience Slimline 1800

Hi Just wondering if anyone has owns or has listening experience with Ambience Slimline 1800 speakers, I have a chance to buy a pair - so I just wanted to get some opions

Cheers

Jamm753

I spent several years with modded 1400's and 1600's and heard the 1800's on a number of occasions. Pretty much the same wonderful sound but different sizes for different size rooms. They certainly do a lot right and Nic Tatham gave them wonderful reviews and used the 1600's as his reference speakers for some years before going to the Reference model. However, it is difficult to say whether they will suit you unless you provide info on the rest of your system, your room, your listening tastes, what type of speakers you generally prefer etc etc ...

I spent several years with modded 1400's and 1600's and heard the 1800's on a number of occasions. Pretty much the same wonderful sound but different sizes for different size rooms. They certainly do a lot right and Nic Tatham gave them wonderful reviews and used the 1600's as his reference speakers for some years before going to the Reference model. However, it is difficult to say whether they will suit you unless you provide info on the rest of your system, your room, your listening tastes, what type of speakers you generally prefer etc etc ...

I have a very large living area with polished floor board and not much in the way of soft material to absorb sound.

I current use 2 Yamaha M40 power amps bi amped to B&W DM 602 speakers with a rotel RC995 pre amp. I mainly listen to vinyl covering most types of music.

The amp combination is powerful enough - but the problem I have is filling the space and lack of bass..

cheers

Jamm: Quite frankly, the Ambience 1800 is many many levels above the audiophile ladder than the humble B&W 602 that it doesn't really warrant comparison ...the real question is do you want a Hyundai or a Ferrari ???? ;-))

Regards,

Steve M.

Edited by Steve M

Jamm: Quite frankly, the Ambience 1800 are many many levels above the audiophile ladder than the humble B&W 602 that it doesn't really warrant comparison ...the question is do you want a Hyundai or a Ferrari ???? ;-))

Regards,

Steve M.

My thought too. I heard Ambience 1800 at the local dealer a few years ago and it's superd. I also had similar BW speakers to yours many moons ago and there's no

comparison. The more quality you throw at the 1800 upstream the more you will be rewarded.

I have a very large living area with polished floor board and not much in the way of soft material to absorb sound.

I current use 2 Yamaha M40 power amps bi amped to B&W DM 602 speakers with a rotel RC995 pre amp. I mainly listen to vinyl covering most types of music.

The amp combination is powerful enough - but the problem I have is filling the space and lack of bass..

cheers

Being a ribbon/cone hybrid with a small 7" woofer you may find they lack bass weight and dynamics in your "very large living area". You could add sub(s) but you may still find that you miss dynamics in the upper bass area. My room is large-ish and this was the one weakness (not evident in a smaller room) that I found with the Ambiences (even with a sub) and as much as I loved them I eventually had to move back to a dynamic cone speaker with larger woofers (9.5" and 7" woofers) to "feel" the music. However, the Ambiences do have amazing mids, imaging, soundstaging, resolution, coherence, etc etc and are very revealing of upstream equipment. They aren't a tough load but do like to be driven. In a smaller room they are all but unbeatable.

Hi Just wondering if anyone has owns or has listening experience with Ambience Slimline 1800 speakers, I have a chance to buy a pair - so I just wanted to get some opions

Cheers

Jamm753

Rule number one:

You should ALWAYS listen to speakers, rather than trusting some else's opinions.

All the Ambience models will achieve a 'room filling' sound far in excess of what their specs suggest. Be prepared to add a subwoofer to fill out the bottom end though.

I've owned the 1800's for a short period, and as previously stated the difference between these and your 602's is chalk and cheese. Midrange is simply superb and the soundstage is large and full. Be prepared to bring them out from the wall slightly and as also previously stated, they are slightly bass shy compared to some speakers.

An excellent speaker IMHO.

A pair of decent tight sealed subbies at some later stage as Zaph suggests takes them to another level altogether.

I had a pair of 1600 References for a couple of years and was very happy with them. I particularly liked the imaging and the fact that they 'disappeared' - something that few other speakers do. The top end is also very sweet. I sold them only because a pair of Hornings came up.

I had mine about 40cm out from the walls and found that I had to moderate the bass output a bit by stuffing a pair of socks in the rear ports. One day I took them over to a mate's who has a bigger room than me. We were therefore able to have them well clear of walls and corners. They sounded amazing!

I wholeheartedly second Andrew's suggestion about the subs - in fact I had a pair of his, crossed over at 80Hz.

One thing to bear in mind is that they are, from memory, 89dB sensitive with an impedance of 4 ohms. Possibly better to drive them with an SS amp. Tony at Ambience usually recommends a beefy Marantz amp of about 100wpc to drive his speakers, but any good SS amp of the same power should be OK - ME or Rotel for example.

Edited by bronal

Thanks to everyone for the feedback - very much appreciated - I will go and have a good listen to the 1800 next week..

cheers

Jamm

Thanks again for your comments, I had a listen to the speakers today - and they sounded wonderful.

Just wondering if anyone would know the years of manufacture of the slimline 1800 models ( not the super or ultra slims ) which I understand came along later in years ..?

cheers

Jamm753

Thanks again for your comments, I had a listen to the speakers today - and they sounded wonderful.

Just wondering if anyone would know the years of manufacture of the slimline 1800 models ( not the super or ultra slims ) which I understand came along later in years ..?

cheers

Jamm753

They could be as much as 15-16 years old. Not that it matters. The bass drivers use butyl rubber roll surrounds and last a very long time. The ribbon unit last indefinitely, unless driven by stupid amounts of power. The only time I've had to replace ribbons is when the client operated the speakers with more than 300 Watts. If the speakers exhibit no audible problems, then they are not likely to cause you any problems either.

Thanks Zaphod,

What would be a reasonable price to pay for them, they sound technically ok - but have a few signs of life

Thanks Zaphod,

What would be a reasonable price to pay for them, they sound technically ok - but have a few signs of life

Are they working perfectly and cosmetically OK? Price would be between you and the seller. I'd have thunk around $1,500.00 ~ $2,000.00 would be about right if they work OK and look OK.

Just a word of warning - you must get used to variable vertical dispersion. I was hooked to ribbon sound myself but that vertical sensitivity put me off that idea. However, they will create extremelly precise sound stage since the horizontal dispersion is quite uniform as with any ribbon

Agree...I found the Ambience had wonderful wide dispersion and sweet spot - walk around the room and notice the lack of node/anti-node you get with radiant point source speakers. But sit/stand and you may detect a difference....

The ribbons make acoustic/voices/jazz sound fantastic but less convincing for hard rock (or heavy metal if you like...)...though I do know people who use Ambience for home-theatre....they can play loud but there's some caution not to overdrive the ribbons.

The ribbon has open/transparent fluidity and awesome treble detail/delicacy but I found (at least back 10 years ago) that it never fully integrated with the subwoofer-like bass - I could hear noticeable transition b/w ribbon and box both in tonal quality, speed and timing.

Note the Ambience are not shielded and the strong magnetic field may be an issue for TVs or people with pacemakers in close proximity.

Edited by xtrachewy