Topfield 5000pvrt Won't Respond To Commands

Just wondering if any other Toppy owners have had this problem and found a fix.

It won't respond to the remote control or to the on-box controls. It does automatic time adjustments and produces a nice image of ABC1 but there is no way I can change programs or volume or even turn it on and off.

I've had the lid off and can't see any obviously failed components, although I haven't dismounted the PCBs to look underneath.

Can't imagine it is worth having it repaired by Topfield with the price they are today.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, or it is into the bin with it.

Max

Have you pulled the power plug on it to completely reset the front panel?

Do you have any TAPs running that could have hung and stopped all control of the box?

(To bootup without TAPs running, press the 0 key on the remote repeatedly during Toppy bootup until you see the screen aspect ratio change. Once it has changed, this is enough to indicate that it has accepted you don't want to load Auto Start TAPs this bootup time and you may have proper control of it). The ICE tap has been known to hang on startup when something goes a bit silly with the filesystem, for example. Many other TAPs that load their prefs/settings from the HDD will have the potential to hang and cause the unit to not respond to input also.

Definitely don't throw it away, there is plenty of people out there capable of fixing a dodgy PSU for example (which is another possibility, that your PSU capacitors are starting to deteriorate and your voltages have gone sky high to the point of impacting system behaviour.... the fix is about $4).

Regards

Have you pulled the power plug on it..

I would hope so, given he's taken the lid off.... Nasty bite to be had trying to check the PCBs with the power on :o

I had a similar problem a few months ago. It turned out to be some sort of TAP clash. Did what Tony suggests, with reboot (pull power plug, then restart) while pressing 0 key, then removed the TAPs from Autostart.

Subsequent testing of the PSU showed the voltages to be all OK, despite the Toppy being close to a "PSU cactus" age.

Gosh, thanks Tony and ozdoc...it worked! I had PBK running. Well, the box controls work now but the remote won't communicate at all (and I have two of them, bought a second one because that seemed to be the problem originally) ...can't even change it to Standby. But at least the Toppy is useable now, in a sort of a manner...

Don't suppose you have one more brilliant idea?? :-)

Max

So did you boot up holding down the 0 button on the remote? If so then presumably the remote is working somewhat?

Take any remotes out of the room, try each Toppy remote separately. Check each remote for buttons being pressed down.

You can install the Emergency Remote TAP if you want to be able to view shows you currently have recorded.

Can you confirm which style remote type you have:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/toppytools/gallery.html

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Peter, thank you. The remotes are the one on that website for the Black Panther. There are no depressed buttons on either remote and I have tried them both with the other in a drawer.

The problem has worsened if anything. The boot-up display, despite several cold boots and pressing '0' on the remote, is the primary Menu page. From there I can navigate anywhere through the menus but I cannot get out of that primary Menu page by pressing Menu. So it has sort of locked up on me.

I guess it reaqlly does have a fault...?

Max

Edited by MaxSpiller

I guess it reaqlly does have a fault...?Max
Fortunately it seems not. I believe the BP remote has four frequency options. From toppytools:
The trick here is that all the toppys that use code-1 come with a remote control that has 4 user-selectable codes. Only two of these four codes are used by current Topfield products: code-1 and code-4. Press the power button and button #1 on the remote control at the same time to set the remote to use code-1. You do the same thing to switch to code-4 except that you press power and #4 at the same time.

So basically for each remote press and hold down POWER and 4 for 5 seconds. Should reactivate them for the 5000.

As to the menu issue - you may need to rescan your channels to get access to the rest of the Toppy. That option should be selectable.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Peter, the menu issued is cleared with a rescan - I had done a factory reset.

But neither remote will activate using PWR + '4' or PWR + '1'. The remote is talking to the box as the hard drive (?) clicks after 8 - 10 seconds of holding these buttons down, the first sign of life from them.

Max

Peter, tried both remotes again, with one isolated, no result. And...no, the light on the box doesn't respond to any remote command. Guess that's the problem, the IR receiver is kaput?

I really appreciate your help though...

Max

Seems something when boom recently. With two remotes out the likely culprit is the IR receiver. Hopefully that's all that's not working. Have you tried uploading the Emergency Remote TAP to see if the drive and files is ok?

Might have to give Topfield a ring and organise a repair.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS But you say pressing the remote buttons causes the drive to click?

Edited by pgdownload

• 5 months later...

Hi guys

I'm having a similar problem with my previously reliable silver TF5000PVRt. It has stopped responding to front panel controls and IR remote control. Just after I start it up I may have some control for a few seconds or minutes then it plays up. I've noticed the time display getting way behind then suddenly catching up. Last night I managed to get it to work long enough to set a timer which recorded OK.

By the way I took all TAPs out of the Autostart group using Altair. I currently am trying the Emergency Remote TAP which works as long as the front panel controls are working.

Is this a known problem? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sway

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurect old thread but...

Hi guys

I'm having a similar problem with my previously reliable silver TF5000PVRt. It has stopped responding to front panel controls and IR remote control. Just after I start it up I may have some control for a few seconds or minutes then it plays up. I've noticed the time display getting way behind then suddenly catching up. Last night I managed to get it to work long enough to set a timer which recorded OK.

By the way I took all TAPs out of the Autostart group using Altair. I currently am trying the Emergency Remote TAP which works as long as the front panel controls are working.

Is this a known problem? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sway

Sway,

Can't PM you apparently, but checked your later posts and note that you have "upgraded" to HD Topfield, so I am guessing your problem with the 5000 was terminal?

As of tonight we have the same problem you describe, having done nothing any different to usual.

Unit IS 4-years old so maybe reached end of life? Has never had any TAPS or firmware upgrades. Have tried powering off and does not seem to change anything. Will leave off overnight and see what happens. If no good will try reset, I guess.

Grateful anyone has a fix or suggestions? (Yes, I know, upgrade!!!- competing financial priorities ATM unfortunately!)

Sorry to resurect old thread but...

Sway,

Can't PM you apparently, but checked your later posts and note that you have "upgraded" to HD Topfield, so I am guessing your problem with the 5000 was terminal?

As of tonight we have the same problem you describe, having done nothing any different to usual.

Unit IS 4-years old so maybe reached end of life? Has never had any TAPS or firmware upgrades. Have tried powering off and does not seem to change anything. Will leave off overnight and see what happens. If no good will try reset, I guess.

Grateful anyone has a fix or suggestions? (Yes, I know, upgrade!!!- competing financial priorities ATM unfortunately!)

Hi nevenkab

My problem was the front panel had died. It cost me approx $130 through Topfield to have it replaced. Now it is like brand new again - even has the protective film still over the front. I have both the 5000 and 7100 in everyday use now. The 5000 is a brilliant unit and I'll be keeping mine until it rusts away!

Cheers

Sway

PS> Can you try the PM again. Haven't had any for a while so maybe there is a problem with my account.

Edited by Sway

After corresponding with Sway and ascertaining that the power supply capacitors were all in spec we decided to either have it fixed, (front panel), or get in touch with the repairer and see if the part could be bought....

Anyway, 'Good Guys' have a "invoice + $1" sale this long-weekend. My sister in law was going to look at netbooks and, out of curiosity, I asked her to check the price on the 2400 Masterpiece. She called back a bit later to say $869, (down from $1049 apparently) but they were at Domain and could get it at $865.

So we, (Minister of Finance and I...), discussed it and said- No! Too many competing claims on our finances.

The sister in law rings back and says- she bought it! (Great sister-in-law!) Just in time too- "live" TV was driving us around the bend.

We'll pay her back in a couple of weeks. So I'm at work tonight and out tomorrow with a "new toy" sitting at home ready to play with. Still planning on getting the 5000 looked at and sorted out though.

I better do some research...

Any tips from early adopters? (Have until next weekend to pick up the 5-year warranty, ($99). In light of the apparent lifetime of the 5000, (4-5 years), I'm tempted).