Onkyo 606 - Can't Get Surround From Foxtel

Hi,

My brother has a new Onkyo 606 receiver and we've spent the weekend setting it up. We can get Dolby Digital and DTS from his DVD player but we aren't getting Dolby Digital from Foxtel HD. I'm sure its a setting with the Onkyo that is wrong because the sound output from Foxtel HD is set to AC3 and we've tried both Coax and Optical. We're viewing the channels that are showing as broadcasting in DD, such as BBC HD, Nat Geo HD etc.

In the input section for the receiver we have :

Input Mode Preset

DVD Player

Analog/PCM - Last Valid

Dolby Digital - Dolby Digital

DTS - DTS

Foxtel - Cable/Sat

Analog/PCM - PLII Movie

So why are we getting surround from the DVD player and not Foxtel ?

Any help appreciated !

Cheers

Hi mate,

I have the same setup but get DD5.1 and DD2.0 at times. Usually though it is only PCM

Make sure you have your box programmed to output AC3. Use a mini optic out from foxtel box to the Onkyo.

Whenever the Onkyo senses 5.1, it will say Dolby D on the display. For 2.0, it will stay to whatever your default setting is (eg PLII Movie, etc)

The only time i have come across 5.1 from foxtel is some recent movies and some box office. Never on anything else

EDIT..My box is PACE and not IQ

Edited by mrdenn1s

Hi,

My brother has a new Onkyo 606 receiver and we've spent the weekend setting it up. We can get Dolby Digital and DTS from his DVD player but we aren't getting Dolby Digital from Foxtel HD. I'm sure its a setting with the Onkyo that is wrong because the sound output from Foxtel HD is set to AC3 and we've tried both Coax and Optical. We're viewing the channels that are showing as broadcasting in DD, such as BBC HD, Nat Geo HD etc.

Input Mode Preset

DVD Player

Analog/PCM - Last Valid

DTS - DTS

Foxtel - Cable/Sat

Analog/PCM - PLII Movie

Any help appreciated !

Cheers

Are you using HDMI?

Using optical from Foxtel to Onkyo for sound as HDMI only carries stereo sound as far as I am aware, tried coax also but that didn't work. And yes Foxtel box is set to AC3

:o Have you tried the FTA HD channels?

No tried that yet as the TV is wallmounted and a bit of a mission to take it off and run optical from the TV (50 inch Pioneer 8G)

Sorry should of been more specific. I meant the FTA HD channels on the fox box like Nine HD on 209?

Edited by HTD

You say you think it's a setting on the Onkyo since the DVD works. Plugging foxtel into the input used by the DVD should prove/disprove that theory quickly.

You've only said "not getting surround". Does that mean stereo works or are you getting nothing out of it?

I assume this is an IQ2 given you are talking about HD?

should of

should have

Edited by Shonky*

Hi,

Input Mode Preset

DVD Player

Analog/PCM - Last Valid

DTS - DTS

Foxtel - Cable/Sat

Analog/PCM - PLII Movie

Any help appreciated !

Cheers

This is very interesting. I have the exact same problem with my Denon 1802. As you describe I get DD from all other sources, even from Showtime 1 & 2 movies, but switch to HD and although the amp display shows Dolby Digital the sound

is a 'millisecond burst' every few seconds. I too get Foxtel via satellite in Melbourn's outer South East.

I reported this to Foxtel back in June. They even came and changed the Box then promised to get answers for me. I have heard nothing. I have tried every combination of cable and setting, without success.

The plain facts are, with the IQ2 set to AC3 ( I can get sound on Mpeg) I can view the Nat Geo HD channel and get no sound, then switch to Showtime and get full DD 5.1

It is obviously the way in which they transmit the HD Dolby Digital signal.

I have emailed Foxtel, but have had no reply.

I was resigned to the idea I needed a new Amp and was considering the Onkyo 606 ,but your report has put a new light on the problem. I tried asking on DTV Forum, back in July but had no reaction. ( all most want to do is boast about their equipment)

Are you still having this problem? Is anyone else having this problem?

Hi,

Input Mode Preset

DVD Player

Analog/PCM - Last Valid

DTS - DTS

Foxtel - Cable/Sat

Analog/PCM - PLII Movie

Any help appreciated !

Cheers

My Foxtel Digital only has a SPDIF outlet to my Onkyo and works well. you will need an adapter to fit the Onkyo end.

Connect it to one of the Onkyo digital inputs eg Optical 2 and select.

The other way is to connect the Panel's Monitor out audio to the Onkyo and whatever is in the panel as sent to the Onkyo ,eg FTA,Foxtel,whatever

Cheers.

Thornton

I have an Onkyo 875, and only an IQ1, but may still be able to assist.

My recommendation, is to set all your inputs to last Valid, then go to the various channels, those with dolby, and those without, and just flick through the audio formats, and stop on the one that does the job best.

Some dolby's 5.1 actually have a discreet channel, which makes it into a 6.1 or 7.1 and would say come up as dolby digital PLIIx Cinema THX, and if you have the setting to always display dolby digital, you may be missing out on the discreet channel, by restricting yourself to just dolby digital.

I downloaded a dts and dolby demo sound disc, and just went through all the various formats, stopping on the best sound..

Hope this makes sense. useless at explaining.

Darryl

Edited by dazgore

Can't remember what settings I used but I got 5.1 with Foxtel HD and the 606. The Foxtel was connect via HDMI and Coax. I remember I had to change the settings to assign the cox input to the HDMI so I could get sound. But I don't recall any other problems. BBC HD, Nat Geo HD and box office HD movies all worked fine.

This is very interesting. I have the exact same problem with my Denon 1802. As you describe I get DD from all other sources, even from Showtime 1 & 2 movies, but switch to HD and although the amp display shows Dolby Digital the sound

is a 'millisecond burst' every few seconds. I too get Foxtel via satellite in Melbourn's outer South East.

I reported this to Foxtel back in June. They even came and changed the Box then promised to get answers for me. I have heard nothing. I have tried every combination of cable and setting, without success.

The plain facts are, with the IQ2 set to AC3 ( I can get sound on Mpeg) I can view the Nat Geo HD channel and get no sound, then switch to Showtime and get full DD 5.1

It is obviously the way in which they transmit the HD Dolby Digital signal.

I have emailed Foxtel, but have had no reply.

I was resigned to the idea I needed a new Amp and was considering the Onkyo 606 ,but your report has put a new light on the problem. I tried asking on DTV Forum, back in July but had no reaction. ( all most want to do is boast about their equipment)

Are you still having this problem? Is anyone else having this problem?

Got a Denon 1803 and the same problem. Most of the HD audio only works if the amp is set to "VIRTUAL" mode. Some channels work in PLII others do not.

I think the amp is too old and cannot resolve the HD audio. Will be buying a new 1909 amp when they come out here so that should fix it.

• 2 weeks later...
Got a Denon 1803 and the same problem. Most of the HD audio only works if the amp is set to "VIRTUAL" mode. Some channels work in PLII others do not.

I think the amp is too old and cannot resolve the HD audio. Will be buying a new 1909 amp when they come out here so that should fix it.

Having same issue with iQ2 and Denon 1602 AV Receiver!

When set to AC3 the HD channels have short bursts of sound for about 1 second every 5 seconds...

Have had to switch to mpeg for it to work.

Anyone else get around this problem?

• 2 months later...
for a slight thread hijack - did you have any luck controlling the foxtel stb from the onkyo remote? I can't get it to work on mine

You need to program it to one of the Pace codes, and not the Foxtel codes given in the Onkyo manual

It woorks fine when you find the right one (cant remember which one i used)

• 2 months later...

I have an older model Onkyo amp which is having the same issue, it will get around 5secs of audio and then drop out. But it only seems to happen on ESPN HD and Discovery HD, the other HD channels are fine. Haven't tried the HD movies yet..

• 4 weeks later...